Sat, Jun 1, 11:23 AM CDT

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 01 3:00 am)

Samurai's House

$16.90 USD

Styles Abstract

$12.00 USD 30% Off
$8.40 USD

Subject: Methods or scripts to facilitate finger posing

Allstereo ( ) posted Sun, 25 March 2018 at 11:51 AM · edited Sat, 01 June 2024 at 10:50 AM

Hello all, I am searching methods, scripts that will facilitate the posing of fingers. More specifically, it is tedious to pose each finger around an object either a cylinder object or even other part of the body. I try the collision detection approach, but the process is very long. What I am thinking is a "wrap" function where the fingers are wrapping around the object like the fitting process of cloths to figure. I will appreciate any suggestions or comments Allstereo

-renapd- ( ) posted Sun, 25 March 2018 at 12:22 PM
Site Admin

I think PhilC had something similar.. but unfortunately he's happily retired!

[[MyGallery] [MyStore]
"Collect moments, not things."

Jules53757 ( ) posted Sun, 25 March 2018 at 12:23 PM

As it is for Poser, use the built in Grasp function. If the figure doesn't have this implemented you can do it by your own, Take a cr2 of a figure with this functionality search for Grasp, copy this function from that figure into the hand of the 2nd figure, repeat it for the other hand and thats it.

Good luck.

Ulli

"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!"

Kalypso ( ) posted Sun, 25 March 2018 at 2:06 PM
Site Admin

Most characters I've seen have the "Grasp" morph. V4 though has to have the morphs injected and I'm not sure if it's in the base morphs or the Morphs++. What figure is it that you've been having problems with?

Jules53757 ( ) posted Sun, 25 March 2018 at 2:27 PM

As I wrote, Grasp is a native Poser function, You don't have to change any geometrie. I found this out when I got the figures from nursoda. They didn't have the Grasp implemented but with copying the function from other figures and pasting it into the hands of his figures they had the grasp function.

Ulli

"Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience!"

Allstereo ( ) posted Mon, 26 March 2018 at 8:31 PM

Hello all, I know the graps function and it is very useful in many situations, but a "wrapping function" should be a must for other cases where the bending of various parts of each finger is different. Take a look to the attached figure.

Thank you for your comments

AllstereoGrasp.jpg

3D-Mobster ( ) posted Tue, 27 March 2018 at 9:51 AM · edited Tue, 27 March 2018 at 10:02 AM

Im not sure how you would achieve this and maintain a good end result. Human fingers are fairly complex when interacting with objects as they tend to behave both in regards to the weight of the object, it's shape, as well as the position in which the object is held in comparison to the character. But even the mood of a character will be important, like if the character is angry they might have a different hand pose compared to a happy character. Obviously a lot more factors would have to be included as well.

My point is not that since a wrap script most likely wouldn't be able to do this, it would therefore be useless. But more that you most likely would end up having to modify your fingers regardless, because the script wouldn't be able to get it right anyway.

Looking at your image as an example and we imagine that the cylinder were held upwards instead, then the hand pose would no longer seem natural, as an example it would be unnatural to extend you index finger like in your image to counterweight the weight of cylinder should it be held upwards, unless you maybe held it above you head, but as you move it down below your head, your pose would change accordingly. So how a script would take that into account I have a hard time seeing. But its an interesting idea non the less.

Posing fingers can be time consuming, but if you make a small library with "default" hand positions it can speed things up. Personally since I work primarily with V4 and M4, i think I have around 10-12 standard positions for each of them and then I use the hand pose which comes the closest to what I need, most of the time you only have to make minor adjustment to the fingers to make them fit. I think the biggest problem when working with hands on 3D models is the lack of being able to curl the palm slightly. as you often end up with them being less flexible than a real hand.

Allstereo ( ) posted Tue, 27 March 2018 at 10:50 AM

Hello all,

Very good comments 3D-Mobser. I don't underestimate the complexity of human hand function (My basic formation is in Physical Therapy). The hypothetical "wrap function" is just to help the user and should be flexiible to adapt the position and form of object. A script should be very useful but Poser Python don't include methods to access the collision feature. I agree that a library of hand position is the best solution.

Allstereo

3Dave ( ) posted Wed, 28 March 2018 at 12:23 PM

Another tip, just in case you are not aware of it, use the up/down arrow keys on your keyboard to select the next or previous joint, it speeds things up compared to selecting from the list, especially when posing hands and fingers

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.