Sat, Jun 1, 8:00 AM CDT

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 01 2:59 am)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: Thumbnails and Avatars

KatesFriend ( ) posted Sun, 30 August 2015 at 10:47 AM · edited Fri, 31 May 2024 at 4:21 PM

Yup, more issues.

I've now noticed that all my old thumbnails have disappeared from my gallery. They were all 200x200 format In many cases the thumbnails were part of the presentation. Will I see them back?

Also, the animated GIF I use as an avatar (head bang on a computer keyboard) no no longer works. I've reloaded it but it is still a static image.

Clayton

KarenJ ( ) posted Sun, 30 August 2015 at 11:34 AM

Hi there,

I've been informed that thumbnails at 200x200 which were "too blurry/pixelated" when blown up to the new gallery thumbnail size were automatically removed and replaced with a system-generated thumbnail (i.e. a miniature of the entire image.)

I will enquire with the programmers about your animated avatar but I my initial assumption would be that animations are not allowed in avatars any more.

"you are terrifying
and strange and beautiful
something not everyone knows how to love." - Warsan Shire

KatesFriend ( ) posted Sun, 30 August 2015 at 12:34 PM

So what became of my thumbnail images?

A_Joker_B ( ) posted Sun, 30 August 2015 at 3:11 PM

One of many other step backs of this upgrade...What exactly was the problem with animated avs/thumbnails? I can't think of a technical issue, so therefore it must have been be a "creative decision" made by a select few totally disregarding the amount of work individuals put into those gifs....

KatesFriend ( ) posted Sun, 30 August 2015 at 3:47 PM

I know what you mean. The animation is driven by the client system and not Renderosity's servers in any case. So what is the cost to Renderosity for allowing them?

I am getting the impression that management has a lowest common denominator notion of what classifies as 'the art' around here. Thumbnails, descriptions, avatars, they're just incidentals that are easily thrown away.

Clayton

A_Joker_B posted at 4:40PM Sun, 30 August 2015 - #4225419

One of many other step backs of this upgrade...What exactly was the problem with animated avs/thumbnails? I can't think of a technical issue, so therefore it must have been be a "creative decision" made by a select few totally disregarding the amount of work individuals put into those gifs....

hopeandlove ( ) posted Mon, 31 August 2015 at 4:27 PM

Please read this thread to find out more about the thumbnails:

https://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/?thread_id=2893335

Thank you!

Hope Kumor

Editor-in-chief of Renderosity Magazine

A_Joker_B ( ) posted Tue, 01 September 2015 at 8:35 AM · edited Tue, 01 September 2015 at 8:49 AM

Sadly Hope that post does not address my question (and many many more).... Maybe a more comprehensive changelog would be in order...Btw the irony about this particular issue is that you've done away with animated gifs, YET, below this very same text box appears to be option to post a gif into this message.... O_oRenderavatar.gif

A_Joker_B ( ) posted Tue, 01 September 2015 at 8:53 AM

^^Tried loading a animated Gif, Guess those don't work anywhere in render...

hopeandlove ( ) posted Tue, 01 September 2015 at 12:01 PM

Hey @A_Joker_B -- please try submitting a gif file once more. I was told it's now working. Thanks!

Hope Kumor

Editor-in-chief of Renderosity Magazine

A_Joker_B ( ) posted Wed, 02 September 2015 at 3:59 PM

To emphasize: Gifs can be posted, However, If it is animated it will not work ...

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Wed, 02 September 2015 at 6:15 PM · edited Wed, 02 September 2015 at 6:24 PM

here, I try one:
animate gif
would like to request, in re: avatars, that BWS add checkbox in forum settings to block avatar display, along with blocking sigfile display (which already there)

whoops, he's right! if you upoad gifanim avatar, only see frame 1! but you can upload gif to comment

A_Joker_B ( ) posted Wed, 02 September 2015 at 8:01 PM

?!?!What wizardry is that Miss Nancy?!?! :/...The animated gif I posted didn't work but yours did?! Anyhow, not too sure why, but clearly you highlight animated gifs being allowed on the forum, yet people can't have them as their Avatars or gallery thumbnails?! Not wanting to step out of any box, but would I be a bad person to ask why this decision was made?

KimberlyC ( ) posted Wed, 02 September 2015 at 11:07 PM

Joker: In the past we have not allowed animated thumbnails or avatars as it slows down load time for other members etc. Yes, they can slow down the forum you say. But animations are not really used that much in the forums.

auntietk ( ) posted Thu, 03 September 2015 at 10:07 AM

In the past, several people have had (and have always had) animated avatars. You are correct about the thumbnails, but avatars have always had the ability to be animated.

Tara

"If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough."  ...  Robert Capa

KimberlyC ( ) posted Thu, 03 September 2015 at 6:41 PM

You are correct auntie regarding avatars. I was type happy last night. :)

CavalierLady ( ) posted Fri, 04 September 2015 at 8:09 AM

I tried to update my avatar. Found the original image, cropped to 200x200 and uploaded in the edit profile section. The message at the top of the page said something like "Success... your profile had been updated". But... where the profile picture is at the top of the page... next to the word "Browse" it says "No File Selected". And I see the original small avatar as a small square inside the avatar circle. Is there a file size limit preventing this from working? Any hints as to what I've done wrong??

auntietk ( ) posted Fri, 04 September 2015 at 3:27 PM

You might have to refresh your browser, Maria. I'm seeing your lovely Cavalier avatar in "full circle" mode.

Tara

"If your pictures aren't good enough, you're not close enough."  ...  Robert Capa

CavalierLady ( ) posted Fri, 04 September 2015 at 4:13 PM

Thank you very kindly, Tara. I had to go to Firefox and clear my browser history and cache. Didn't think about that.... worked a treat. Appreciate it!

A_Joker_B ( ) posted Sat, 05 September 2015 at 7:36 AM

Animated gifs slowed down loading times? This is why they were removed? Like everything else uploaded here animated gifs were subjected to a file size restriction. An animated av took no longer loading than a normal av of the same file size - or am I wrong. And considering there's concern for slow down, the current av size has been increased!

Anyhow, I do wish if things have been changed for personal taste then it would just come out and admit the fact instead of reasons which really don't make sense.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.