Mon, Jun 3, 3:47 AM CDT

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 02 9:34 pm)

Subject: To all our clothes merchants: a plea

EClark1894 ( ) posted Mon, 12 May 2014 at 9:13 AM

Socks are stupid easy to make. To me at least, it's easier to make them than to texture them.

JohnDoe641 ( ) posted Wed, 14 May 2014 at 12:15 PM

Quote - [quote
FFS I reeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeally wish someone would make this exact type of shoe style for Ana. The poor girl is always barefoot on the street because no shoes work with her atm that aren't some type of stupid high heeled tramp shoe.

BTW socks, people wear socks still, don't they?

Have you tried converting shoes to props, parenting them to her feet, and the making her feet invisible? (and moving the shoes around to accomodate the pose).

You can do the same thing without converting to props. If it's a figure that includes both shoes, you just have to load it twice, making the left shoe invisible in order to fit the right foot, and vice versa with the right shoe.

It's an imperfect workaround, to be sure, and I haven't actually tried it. But it might work for you.

Still, wouldn't mind more content for Ana and Tyler. But since they are Poser figures, Wardrobe Wizard does wonders... except sometimes, as you point out, with shoes.

Edit: Socks are a different story.

I should learn to model just so I can make socks.

I haven't tried converting them to props and I never even thought of loading them twice and just matching one set to each foot, that's brilliant!

I've tried numerous times to convert with WW and the shoes never work right which just makes me stay away from shoes. Everyone is barefoot in my renders and it's silly because there's no damn normal foot wear available. :(

ssgbryan ( ) posted Wed, 14 May 2014 at 12:44 PM

Shoes used to be built as props - I have no idea what made vendors think that making them figures would make anything easier.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Wed, 14 May 2014 at 1:10 PM

Quote - Shoes used to be built as props - I have no idea what made vendors think that making them figures would make anything easier.

Your favorite thing to hate of course. Poser 4. The shoes that came with Poser 4 were figures.

AmbientShade ( ) posted Wed, 14 May 2014 at 2:51 PM

Quote -Shoes used to be built as props - I have no idea what made vendors think that making them figures would make anything easier.

I've never gotten shoes to work properly as props. They don't deform correctly. I prefer them as conformers. 

~Shane

will2power ( ) posted Thu, 15 May 2014 at 10:44 PM

file_504331.jpg

I'm putting in the hours and learning a whole hell of a lot. This is something I never would have attemped even just a year ago. I'm actually learning by making a whole lot of mistakes, but there's now hope for Ana. I wanted to make sure they imported in correctly and tested out the material zones, which came out fine. At this stage they're grouped and UV'd but I'm not quite sure if I want to texture them fully in photoshop. These are just using a couple of of shaders that I had gathering dust.

As I look at it more, I probably will go into photoshop and at least put in the stitching. The modeling itself didn't really take all that much time. I'm actually spending more time with everything else like rigging, texturing and UVing than I am with modeling. I think once I get the process down, this will go a lot more smoothly.

will2power ( ) posted Tue, 20 May 2014 at 10:43 PM

file_504445.jpg

This time, the shoes are proper figures. I still have some work to do on JCMs, but what you see here is a pair of conforming Sandals for GND Anastasia.  I"m stoked!

JohnDoe641 ( ) posted Wed, 21 May 2014 at 11:09 PM

Oh man those look great!

EClark1894 ( ) posted Thu, 29 May 2014 at 8:27 PM

file_504645.png

Ity's amazing to me sometimes how I get anything done.  I have several projects going on  at the same time including  several you've seen. just haven't finished all of them yet. Two of them I just haven't packaged up  and at least two I haven't textured yet. or finished modeling. This is one of those. Roxie in hiking clothes. This is a screen shot from Blender. I still have a little modeling to do on the boots, but I'm almost done. Then once I get the texturing done, I'll be finished... i hope.

will2power ( ) posted Thu, 29 May 2014 at 9:41 PM

file_504646.png

I know how you feel. I spend some time today on another pair that I'm working on. Just a set of Birkenstocks. I've got the basic figure made, but I want to really spend some time on the Corrective morphs before I make them available. I tried to keep myself from trying to do anything too elaborate and just put down to get some normal stuff together like these Birkenstocks. They've got a ways to go but are coming out pretty good and consistent.

basicwiz ( ) posted Thu, 29 May 2014 at 11:19 PM

You've got one pair pre-sold right here!

yungturk39 ( ) posted Sat, 05 July 2014 at 1:53 PM · edited Sat, 05 July 2014 at 1:54 PM

LOL!

I hear you simontemplar!  For those into realism in renders it certainly makes sense to have shoes that fit the action.

For myself, I justify the strangeness of having action heroes wearing heels and doing incredible feats (feets?) of balance, running, leaping, etc. by saying it's simply part of their super power / skill, and in the case of their improbably unbreakable (or silent) heels, that they're made of some equally fantastic polymer or alloy like something you'd see in the X-MEN.

I've thought of creating a whole superhero team:  Stiletto Corps!

LOL! ;)

JohnDoe641 ( ) posted Mon, 07 July 2014 at 2:31 AM

Quote - I know how you feel. I spend some time today on another pair that I'm working on. Just a set of Birkenstocks. I've got the basic figure made, but I want to really spend some time on the Corrective morphs before I make them available. I tried to keep myself from trying to do anything too elaborate and just put down to get some normal stuff together like these Birkenstocks. They've got a ways to go but are coming out pretty good and consistent.

Those look great too! Any updates on your progress?

will2power ( ) posted Mon, 07 July 2014 at 8:11 PM

I'm going to back to working on the morphs this weekend. I had to upgrade from my old steady Silo to Modo --there just weren't enough tools to make for continuing to use it. I got pretty proficient in it, but it's time to put on my big boy pants --otherwise they're fine. I really needed stitch and sew from Modo's toolset to make sense of the UV Maps, so I'm learning to do that as I work through the geometry. Some of the shoes seem ok with just simple materials, but you can end up with some artifacts because of the way Poser handles it's shaders. 

I'm hoping to have them, the loafers and sandals ready to go by the end of this month/beginning of next month. It just depends on how fast I can pick up the Modo Toolset and how it differs from Silo  --Academic Software discounts ROCK!

JohnDoe641 ( ) posted Tue, 08 July 2014 at 1:27 AM

Yeah Academic software is awesome, one of my parents is a teacher and they were able to get Photoshop CS5 Extended for the reduced price and my god is it such an amazing deal. The good thing about CS5 is that there really is no difference in the licensing this time, so it can be used for business projects.

BTW Simple materials are just fine with me, I render everything using Lux so shaders don't come into play anymore. Actually, the simpler the material setup, the better and easier it is for Lux to handle it. :p

RorrKonn ( ) posted Tue, 08 July 2014 at 9:27 AM · edited Tue, 08 July 2014 at 9:30 AM

Academic Software is not licensed for commercial use.

You can get MudBox or PhotoShop for lunch money ,$10.00 a month.

Heck ,now ya can get AutoDesk for a night at the bar.

============================================================ 

The Artist that will fight for decades to conquer their media.
Even if you never know their name ,your know their Art.
Dark Sphere Mage Vengeance

JohnDoe641 ( ) posted Tue, 08 July 2014 at 11:24 AM

Quote - Academic Software is not licensed for commercial use.

That migt be true for some software but that's incorrect as far as Adobe goes. The TOS with the Adobe academic software changed starting with CS5 and extends its legal useability towards commercial use, it's why we got it. The only differences are that the programs are restricted to a single computer and you cannot upgrade or sell the software but that's ok, I lasted on CS3 for years without any issues. Otherwise it's exactly the same.

will2power ( ) posted Tue, 08 July 2014 at 4:39 PM

Quote - Academic Software is not licensed for commercial use.

I think you're not understanding what I was referring to. I own a full commercial license of Modo. I've owned the acedemic license since for two years. When you have paid for the academic license for two years you are allowed upgrade to the full version for substantially less than buying the full version out right. In the end it saves me quite a bit of money which brings me back to my original statement --"Academic Software Rocks!"

And to your other points. I'm not interested in mudbox. I have Zbrush and 3D Coat which more than works fine for my needs. I also own the full version of Photoshop CS6. I don't believe in renting software because what happens when they decide to stop renting it? I've seen it happen far too many times to be burned by that. I'd rather spend the money up front and have it in my possesion because all it takes if for one CEO to retire or be replaced and Boom! all of a sudden your rental software is no longer supported and you get may get an upgrade price if you're lucky, but most times you come out behind after renting it for a few years.

I don't mind spending money for the software I want. To me, it's just like those guys that buy Harleys or classic cars. Being part of the faculty just allows me to get better prices on software --which is probably the only reason why I keep working for the school. If you've got the perks, use them. Hell a lot of times I tell people that ask me about this stuff that if you want to get into it, sign up for a class at your local college so you can save yourself hundreds of dollars when it comes to buying software.

EClark1894 ( ) posted Tue, 08 July 2014 at 10:59 PM

Quote -  Hell a lot of times I tell people that ask me about this stuff that if you want to get into it, sign up for a class at your local college so you can save yourself hundreds of dollars when it comes to buying software.

That's what I did when I took a screenwriting course at my local community college. Then I just used my registration to order and pay for the Academic edition of Movie magic Screenwriter. (As far as I know, there's no difference between MMS Academic or Commercial except the price.  Screenwriting is also the main reason i got involved with Poser in the first place.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.