Sun, Jun 2, 1:17 AM CDT

Welcome to the DAZ|Studio Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Guardian_Angel_671, Daddyo3d

DAZ|Studio F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 01 6:55 pm)

Subject: Metadata for Renderosity Products

DazShawnDonaldson79 ( ) posted Sat, 10 November 2012 at 11:57 PM · edited Wed, 08 May 2024 at 10:51 AM

Beg forgivness if this has already been addressed.  Searched forum for answers, but could find none.

How can I get Daz Studio 4.x metadata for products purchased from the Renderosity store?  I know there is no requirement or responsibilty for developers to include metadata, but is there a clearing house for such items?

I love alot of the Genesis stuff I find here (I'm looking at you SickleYield) but have to jump through hoops to get it to show up correctly in my Smart Content tab.  If the metadata is not included in the original product, for whatever reason, is there somewhere we can post our metadata so others need not re-invent the wheel?

I welcome any feedback.

FyraNyanser ( ) posted Sun, 11 November 2012 at 7:27 AM

If you have the patience and knowledge to create and package metadata, then, yes, it can be shared. Cridgit is your man for this as he has written voluminous tutorials on the subject and has posted quite a few metadata files on ShareCG (for example for "Elanor" by Mirabilis http://www.sharecg.com/v/58502/gallery/9/Plug-in/Elanor-Metadata).

As far as I know, there is no main "clearing house" and I guess, if anyone is doing this at all (other than Cridgit!) they are uploading it in various places (I don't think there is any at Renderosity). The problem is, of course, the sheer number of products and the knowledge needed to package it for sharing, not to mention the time and trouble. Frankly, I don't think many people are going to be doing it.

I create my own partial metadata for all the products I use regularly that don't already have it. I create enough for it to work on my system (and at this minimal level it is not too difficult or time consuming). However, a lot more work is required to create metadata for sharing, and none of what I have done can be shared because I don't create "products" so there is no "support" file, as I don't find it that useful for my own use and it takes more time.

As for vendors, it is (I presume) now a requirement for products distributed by DAZ, and I think all vendors creating for Genesis really should be creating metadata for these products, but I think outside of DAZ the process is not widely understood and the usefulness of metadata not widely appreciated—and metadata used only by a minority of the market, so vendors don't have everyone clamouring for it.

Razor42 ( ) posted Mon, 12 November 2012 at 3:41 AM

I include metadata for all of my Daz Products here at Renderosity. I have found it personally to be incredibly useful in the pipeline of creating an image so it is worth the extra time to include it in a product. 

I understand with vendors such as Sickleyield there would be an extensive backlog to wade through due to the shear volume of  products she has on offer. It would be good to see it as a requirement for Daz Products though I would worry that it wouldn't discourage vendors from adding that Daz Compatibility as another process is added to their work flow. 

Which is probaly why this is best dealt with on a community level.

I think that creating a place for sharing metdata for Renderosity products is a great idea.

Maybe a sticky at the top of this thread. Nudges forum moderators.

I have to say also that cridgit's tutorials are pretty good. At first its a lot to get your head around. But after a while its a straightforward process. cridgit has also helped me out a lot in the past with providing metadata for my products.

Sharkbytes-BamaScans ( ) posted Mon, 12 November 2012 at 12:06 PM

A general clearinghouse for metadata would be a wonderful idea.  I think there would have to be some sort of standard set and adhered to when making metadata.  I know I bake up my own for every product I have just because I don't like to have to wade through the multi hundreds of gigs of content I have in my runtime.  This was one of the many reasons I left poser for dazstudio.  Where issues would arise is in how people categorize their content.  I may not use the same filing system as everyone else; so, my way is good for me but maybe not everyone else.

ZamuelNow ( ) posted Mon, 12 November 2012 at 2:46 PM

I agree that metadata is very helpful for products with Daz compatibility and I prefer purchasing from vendors like Razor42 who include it.  I guess the larger priority should be for Genesis products since it's a Daz specific product (though it's good that Genesis can now be used in Poser).

FSMCDesigns ( ) posted Mon, 12 November 2012 at 3:50 PM

Man, I must be the only DS user that hates metadata and has no need for it, but hey, as long as it's still only an option and not a standard, then I am happy. Is it really that hard to just have properly set up files structures where you just know where everything is and not rely on DS to tell you, LOL.

Sharky, I have gigs on content also and have poser and DS runtimes set up, no issues finding things.

Regards, Michael

My DeviantArt page

Sharkbytes-BamaScans ( ) posted Mon, 12 November 2012 at 6:12 PM

Mike.. I sure do.. my runtime looks like a pipe bomb went off inside my computer

Bejaymac ( ) posted Mon, 12 November 2012 at 6:34 PM

Quote - Man, I must be the only DS user that hates metadata and has no need for it, but hey, as long as it's still only an option and not a standard, then I am happy. Is it really that hard to just have properly set up files structures where you just know where everything is and not rely on DS to tell you, LOL.

No your not, you'll find that a good chunk of the community doesn't use it, I've been organizing my content since Poser4, so it's setup how I want it and not how the vender's set it up, with the result that the metadata is totally ****ing useless as it can't find anything, it's not very "Smart" you see, so I would have to redo it all to make it work, and I have better things to be doing with my time than farting about with files for yet another shitty database system from DAZ.

Keeping it seperate was the best thing they could have done (apart from never making it in the first place) as that way I can at least delete it with all of the other plugins that I never use or are totally garbage, just wish they had done that with the Content Manager.

Razor42 ( ) posted Mon, 12 November 2012 at 7:28 PM

Really with metadata you can take it or leave it. Its up to you if you prefer trawling through folders looking for content or sorting each product into your own system, thats your prerogative.

Where metadata work well is when you select for example an item of clothing. You will see in the smart content tab all associated/compatible content. So when you have a clothing pack and an expansion pack for that product both will show in the smart content tab on the selection of an item. You can go into either the main product or the expansion and quickly change a material or add other items from a set.

I find the that a lot of poser content can be found in numerous different locations so can be painful to find, in Daz Studio at least. So other than sorting all content on installation I find Smart content adequately solves this problem by removing the location as relevant and creating associations between items.

But as I said maybe its not for everyone. But I find it increases my productivity and reduces time scratching my head trying to remember where the vendor had placed those extra Mat poses for a specific item.

Anyone want to tell me the correct place for material poses in a runtime? (It seems they can be in a lot of varying places depending on the vendors preference.)

Sharkbytes-BamaScans ( ) posted Mon, 12 November 2012 at 7:42 PM

razor.. i'm with you.  i have my own workflow.. and i don't like wading through the crap to find what i want.  Once you have  a system set up well smart content is a dream.  When I add a new item.. it takes me maybe five minutes to set up smart content for it.  If it's an item like an article of clothing or hair that I'll use a lot.. over the course of a few months.. smart content can save me hours of searching.

ZamuelNow ( ) posted Thu, 15 November 2012 at 12:10 PM

I think it really depends on what metadata is being used for to determine usefulness.  As noted, alternate colors for an outfit or MAT poses for hiding parts is where it really shines.  On the flip side, it's outright unuseful at times for when you're trying to "cheat".  Probably the primary example is using M4/V4 skins and posing on Genesis since the backwards compatibility is useful yet if coded right the metadata actually shouldn't show up in these situations at all.

Sharkbytes-BamaScans ( ) posted Thu, 15 November 2012 at 12:31 PM

that's why on character skins, makeup, eyes, nails, etc.. when i bake up my metadata.. i add genesis and v4 to its compatibility base.. you can basically add genesis compatibility to anything that is v4 compatible except for morphs and expressions.

Agent0013 ( ) posted Tue, 04 December 2012 at 9:58 PM

I think metadata is good for what it does. I have a lot of content in my Library that occupies different locations with in it, even though they are the same type of product. Example: High Boots for V4 is found in my props folder in the My Library part of the Poser directory. Another footwear product for the same figure is found in the Figures folder of that same directory, and yet another is found in the My Library part of the DAZ Studio directory in the People folder of the Content folder. Obviously, this can be confusing. Three different footwear products in three different locations, and none have metadata.

I think the real problem is that the system for the content in DAZ is flawed by the way it is setup. If I understand correctly, Poser is not any better with this. I can't back up that last statement, however, as I do not nor have I ever had Poser. Even so, many of my friends on line do have it and from the way they talk the same problem exists for them.

FSMCDesigns ( ) posted Tue, 04 December 2012 at 11:43 PM

Quote - I think metadata is good for what it does. I have a lot of content in my Library that occupies different locations with in it, even though they are the same type of product. Example: High Boots for V4 is found in my props folder in the My Library part of the Poser directory. Another footwear product for the same figure is found in the Figures folder of that same directory, and yet another is found in the My Library part of the DAZ Studio directory in the People folder of the Content folder. Obviously, this can be confusing. Three different footwear products in three different locations, and none have metadata.

I think the real problem is that the system for the content in DAZ is flawed by the way it is setup. If I understand correctly, Poser is not any better with this. I can't back up that last statement, however, as I do not nor have I ever had Poser. Even so, many of my friends on line do have it and from the way they talk the same problem exists for them.

man, that does sound pretty confusing. I don't have that problem, I have seperate poser runtimes for V4 with sub categories for poses and characters, same for M4, hair, creatures, architecture, props and ones for other figures such as miki, etc. All my genesis specific files install into the same directory for DAZ files and I know where all my files are without metadata. All in all 67.9 gigs of content plus another 32 gigs from an old gen3 runtime on my backup drive.

Regards, Michael

My DeviantArt page

Agent0013 ( ) posted Wed, 05 December 2012 at 12:23 AM · edited Wed, 05 December 2012 at 12:23 AM

man, that does sound pretty confusing. I don't have that problem, I have seperate poser runtimes for V4 with sub categories for poses and characters, same for M4, hair, creatures, architecture, props and ones for other figures such as miki, etc. All my genesis specific files install into the same directory for DAZ files and I know where all my files are without metadata. All in all 67.9 gigs of content plus another 32 gigs from an old gen3 runtime on my backup drive.

I have only been using DAZ for a little over a year, and just as I was getting to know what I could do with the earlier versions of 4, I see the 4.5 Pro is offered for free. Well I had to get it because it has features the others do not have. Through it all though. I have been frustrated with the Content Library Setup. I don't know anything about organizing my Runtime for either of the directories. I also don't know much about creating metadata, but I do know that the metadata I have helps in a big way.

I have product hidden somewhere in my Content that I cannot seem to find. Some 3rd party vendors don't include a readme, and some that do don't tell you how to find the product. To me metadata would most certainly help.

Razor42 ( ) posted Wed, 05 December 2012 at 1:04 AM

I guess a lot of these issues are created by having a large amount of vendors who have control on where the files automatically unzip to. Newer users tend to just install/unzip and find the new product in program. I guess some are a little nervous about moving things about in there runtime when there not sure what everything is.

Standards of where objects are located change from time to time mainly with Daz Studio. So there will always be numerous possible locations for a number of items. Unfortunately going forward there is no real option for remedying the issue in folder structure setup(Besides Manual sorting) as there are numerous established standards.

Sorting the items within your runtime after installation is a good option for overcoming this issue. For an experienced user its quite simple and an extremely effective method in indexing your content. The only hitch is the manual file dispersement required when installing all new content and the learning curve on understanding the numerous content types for new users. 

I believe metadata provides a good solution for the issue, creating a more intiutive UI for content searching and location. Metadata provides a solution that requires minimal manual file placement and when configured correctly can work with all existing or new content that is created. And is easily added by any user once its setup for any product. And should be included with new Daz Products where possible imho. In reality if you don't like the metadata system you don't need to use it. 

Metadata works by creating relationships between objects which can lead you to the material preset your after for that prop easily and effectively. With a reduced click count. And eases the brain strain for those with less then perfect memories like myself. :) With the metadata method it doesn't matter where the active files are located. Allowing for the vendor to setup his runtime structure in the way his/her buyers prefer but without having to stick to a single setup standard. 

As I have said before its really up to you which method you prefer to use but I've found metadata to be nothing but useful and something Daz supported product vendors shouldn't overlook. And really what is the harm in allowing a Metadata database to be established for those that want to utilize it?

Agent0013 ( ) posted Wed, 05 December 2012 at 11:41 AM

Thank you, Razor42. You have more or less said it all perfectly. I only wish the metadata option could be included in all products. I would say it should remain an option rather than a requirement, simply because not everybody wants to use it. 

At the DAZ Store all products made recently for DAZ Studio have metadata included. The staff at DAZ 3D is actively working to create metadata for the older products as well, and much of it has already been done. I recently had to reset my downloads for a product that was deleted from my hard drive. The original did not have metadata, but the reset did.

Many products have metadata as a separate downloadable file, which to me is how it should be. There are a lot of the recent products that have it built in, and it automatically installs when the product installs. When you open DAZ Studio after installing 1 or more products, a window appears that lists the new metadata that has been added. You can accept it as it is, or you can tell it what you want it to do with it.

Either way the metadata can be allowed to exist, or you can opt it out if you wish. I personally always keep it, simply because it makes finding what I want a lot easier than scrolling through hundreds of products to get to the one I want. My workflow goes much faster because of this.

FlagonsWorkshop ( ) posted Wed, 05 December 2012 at 3:28 PM

Quote - Really with metadata you can take it or leave it. Its up to you if you prefer trawling through folders looking for content or sorting each product into your own system, thats your prerogative.

Where metadata work well is when you select for example an item of clothing. You will see in the smart content tab all associated/compatible content. So when you have a clothing pack and an expansion pack for that product both will show in the smart content tab on the selection of an item. You can go into either the main product or the expansion and quickly change a material or add other items from a set.

I find the that a lot of poser content can be found in numerous different locations so can be painful to find, in Daz Studio at least. So other than sorting all content on installation I find Smart content adequately solves this problem by removing the location as relevant and creating associations between items.

But as I said maybe its not for everyone. But I find it increases my productivity and reduces time scratching my head trying to remember where the vendor had placed those extra Mat poses for a specific item.

Anyone want to tell me the correct place for material poses in a runtime? (It seems they can be in a lot of varying places depending on the vendors preference.)

The point is you move them where you want them.  I have all the poses for clothes (the MATS) as subfolders of the geometry folders, and if there are accessories, I make a props subfodler under that clothing item.  So everything connected with a particular outift is under figures/!clothing/!V4/outfitname instead of spread all over the place.

Another little thing is that you can have the same item in multiple places.  For example if a set of expressions goes with a set of poses, you can make a second folder off of the pose folder for the expressions, and keep them in two places.

Smart content slows me down, it doesn't speed up anything.

All it takes is having the discepline to put stuff where you are going to look for it when you install it the first time.  In general the only items you CAN'T move around without breaking things are textrues and geometry (.obj).  Anything in the six main folders can be tranferred to any other folder as long as the vendor has used paths correctly.

For DAZ anyway, I don't know if it breaks anything in Poser to do that.

Agent0013 ( ) posted Wed, 05 December 2012 at 7:06 PM

Another little thing is that you can have the same item in multiple places.  For example if a set of expressions goes with a set of poses, you can make a second folder off of the pose folder for the expressions, and keep them in two places.

One thing you have to consider when you put the same thing in more than one place in your Content Library is the fact that each instance of that item takes up memory space on your hard drive. For someone that has a lot of memory to burn so to speak that may not be a problem; but if you are trying to save as much memory as possible (like me), having more than one of anything in your Content Library is not an option that will do that.

As it is I remove much of my 3rd party content and save it in Zip form on my external hard drive. That way I can retrieve it when I need it for something I am working on. And because it is in Zip form it takes up less memory space.

Another thing that I have noted is that many wearable products get made to fit different figures. Like a top made to fit V4, and another version of the same top for say Aiko 3, and yet another for V3, and so on. Now it is possible to make just one fit all figures with a little tweaking; but if you prefer to have each version so you don't have to tweak it for each figure, you can still have just the one texture file for all of them if they share the same UV maps and templates. What I mean is the texture for one version will work with the others that use the same templates of UV maps. So you don't need to have more than one of the same texture for those items. I advise looking into the textures folders for each version to see if the templates are the same. If they are, only put one of each texture into your Runtime folder. 

Razor42 ( ) posted Wed, 05 December 2012 at 7:24 PM

Quote - The point is you move them where you want them.  I have all the poses for clothes (the MATS) as subfolders of the geometry folders, and if there are accessories, I make a props subfodler under that clothing item.  So everything connected with a particular outift is under figures/!clothing/!V4/outfitname instead of spread all over the place. Another little thing is that you can have the same item in multiple places.  For example if a set of expressions goes with a set of poses, you can make a second folder off of the pose folder for the expressions, and keep them in two places.

Smart content slows me down, it doesn't speed up anything.

All it takes is having the discepline to put stuff where you are going to look for it when you install it the first time.  In general the only items you CAN'T move around without breaking things are textrues and geometry (.obj).  Anything in the six main folders can be tranferred to any other folder as long as the vendor has used paths correctly.

For DAZ anyway, I don't know if it breaks anything in Poser to do that.

As I discussed a little further down the thread from my initial post.

For experienced users manual sorting is a good way for organising your content. You really do need to have a good memory for this method as well as rigid structure for where you place things.

I can't really see how smart content can slow you down? You either prefer it and use it or don't and just close your smart content pane and sort content manually for use in the normal content pane.

Love it or hate you can't deny metadata is a potential solution to what for some is a content hide and seek mission.

For those with the Dicipline and the background knowledge manually sorting is also an option. Though I feel it's more labour intensive and less intuitive in application.

Agent0013 ( ) posted Wed, 05 December 2012 at 8:27 PM

I agree Razor42. It really is a matter of experience and knowledge as well as preference. Also, I cannot see how metadata would slow anyone down because it actually helps find relevant files without you have to do a manual search.

It is odd that both DAZ Studio and Poser have the same type of Content organaization system, but that said, they are able to use many of the same products as each other.

Another program that has Content  Storage Files is Bryce; but the organization is far different, and much easier to navigate. Materials are kept in files attached to the Materials Lab, While object presets are kept in a completely different location under the Create tab. Then you have the Skies Library kept within the Sky & Fog Lab. You cannot place other types of things in either of those Libraries; however, if you know how to do it you can access the Materials Library from many of the other Labs. The Labs that can do this are the Sky & Fog Lab, the Deep Terrain Editor, and the Tree Lab.

It is far easier to navigate in Bryce than in DAZ Studio or Poser; and Bryce is a DAZ product.

Razor42 ( ) posted Wed, 05 December 2012 at 8:52 PM

Bryce was primarily developed outside of Daz 3D with the first version released in 2001 for Macintosh. Ironically Bryce no longer works with the new Apple OS systems.

The Bryce content management systems is definitely easier to navigate but having a simpler split of content allows for this more straight forward system. eg Only needing one category Objects for any mesh object.

When you look at the History of Daz as a company you can see they were originally formed as a creative group making content for Poser. Which is why the two Applications have a lot in common.

The first version of Daz Studio was released in 2005 whereas Poser first poked its head up way back in 1997. And gave a lot of direction to the development of Daz Studio.

Even more Ironically in 1998 Poser and Bryce were both owned by Metacreations. Bryce then passed through Corels hands to finally end up with Daz 3D in 2004.

Poser has also passed through a number of hands such as curious labs before ending up with Smith Micro.

Its amazing how much this little family of Applications have developed over the years. And unfortunately its never as simple as it seems. :D

DazShawnDonaldson79 ( ) posted Wed, 05 December 2012 at 8:57 PM

WOW!  Iwas not trying to start a whole debate on the merrits or disadvantages of Metadata.  (For the record, I'm in favor of it.  Having the computer keep track of what objects a pose or material applies to is better for me.  If you don't like it, don't use it ... like seatbelts!

What I was trying to do, was look at a way that those of who do use Metadata could find a way to share high-quality Metadata files for existing products that do not already have it.

Any suggestions along those lines would be very helpful.  Maybe a particular tag on ShareCG.com or something?

Razor42 ( ) posted Wed, 05 December 2012 at 9:01 PM · edited Wed, 05 December 2012 at 9:02 PM

Yeah I have been thinking about that. :D

The problem here is you could use a forum post with a list of download links but the inability to edit the post prevents that.

It would be good to see it incorporated into the product page here at rendo but that may be asking to much.

Sharecg or another provider may be the best option.

Agent0013 ( ) posted Wed, 05 December 2012 at 10:04 PM · edited Wed, 05 December 2012 at 10:09 PM

One thing I have noticed about my version of DAZ Studio is that when I save Presets and Scenes, a thumbnail is created from what is in the scene window, and the preset or scene file becomes automatically accessible in my Smart Content. As I understand this (I may be wrong about this) that is what metadata does, (not the first part so much as the second part (underlined). I know that all of the products I have that came with metadata appear in Smart Content. I can grab what I want by opening the Smart Content tab, or I can navigate to it by opening the Content Library tab. If I am already in the Content Library, I usually navigate to what I want there, even if it has metadata. If I'm not using the Content Library and need an item that has metadata, I open the Smart Content tab and grab it there.

I would definitely like to see a database of high quality metadata made for items that don't come with it.

I think another thing that could help if it could be done, is a file organizing program that intelligently reads your content files and knows the best places to put them. It would prompt you with recommendations on where to put the file, and allow you to decide if that location is right for you, and if not you could tell it where you want the file.

DAZ's BitRock Installer is a good example of what I'm talking about. Of course this one would work this way for anything you install for DAZ Studio, whether it is 3rd party or not. Don't ask me to create it though. I would not know how to do that as I don't know how to write program code.

FSMCDesigns ( ) posted Thu, 06 December 2012 at 2:49 PM

Quote - WOW!  Iwas not trying to start a whole debate on the merrits or disadvantages of Metadata.  (For the record, I'm in favor of it.  Having the computer keep track of what objects a pose or material applies to is better for me.  If you don't like it, don't use it ... like seatbelts! )

Actually seatbelts are required by law in the US, so not optional, LOL.

I'ts fairly obvious that despite what anyone says, even explaining the file structure of content for DS which would give them a definitive roadmap on where files go, users are going to want the app to do the work for them rather than finding the files themselves, so it is a very good thing that metadata is optional.

You know, it's a good thing I am not a vendor as I have thought about going that route many times. But if I was, metadata would not be an option since I don't use it. I often ctriticize vendors that don't include nude promos with a character as in my mind you are leaving out important promos for an important part of the actual product. I have sent emails asking certain vendors about this and it usually comes down to their personal preference which makes absolutely no sense to me based on the nature of the product, textures. I can now see if I was a vendor and left out metadata that certain people would think that decision would make no sense to them as they cannot live without it, oh well, live and learn.

Regards, Michael

My DeviantArt page

Agent0013 ( ) posted Thu, 06 December 2012 at 4:24 PM · edited Thu, 06 December 2012 at 4:25 PM

It is not yet a requirement that 3rd party vendors include metadata, and I hope things stay that way. I think the creator of a product should have full control over how he or she packages it.

If metadata is wanted for a product that does not have it, installing the product, loading it, and saving it to the relevant preset file type, ie pose, chararacter, materials, wearable, or what have you will put it in your Smart Content directory, at least for DAZ Studio 4.x and 4.5 Pro. This works similar to metadata if it isn't metadata in actuality. I save poses, materials, wearable, character, morph, and even scene presets, and all of these appear in my Smart Content.

ZamuelNow ( ) posted Sun, 09 December 2012 at 4:20 PM

Quote -  I often ctriticize vendors that don't include nude promos with a character as in my mind you are leaving out important promos for an important part of the actual product. I have sent emails asking certain vendors about this and it usually comes down to their personal preference which makes absolutely no sense to me based on the nature of the product, textures.

Even as someone who doesn't do a lot of nude renders, it does strike me as odd/annoying when a vendor doesn't do that unless it's a sitewide mandate.  What's probably just as annoying when they only show one angle.  Then again, "vendor promo complaints" is a topic for another thread and I've been trying not to start ranting about.

Agent0013 ( ) posted Sun, 09 December 2012 at 4:46 PM

Quote - > Quote -  I often ctriticize vendors that don't include nude promos with a character as in my mind you are leaving out important promos for an important part of the actual product. I have sent emails asking certain vendors about this and it usually comes down to their personal preference which makes absolutely no sense to me based on the nature of the product, textures.

Even as someone who doesn't do a lot of nude renders, it does strike me as odd/annoying when a vendor doesn't do that unless it's a sitewide mandate.  What's probably just as annoying when they only show one angle.  Then again, "vendor promo complaints" is a topic for another thread and I've been trying not to start ranting about.

Something you must consider when you create a product and upload it for sale or as a freebie. It is this: Who are the people that will be able to see the promos? If the underaged people are allowed on the site, as they are here at Renderosity, then nudity in any form would not be appropriate. If only adults are allowed on the site, then the packaging and the promos should be up to the creator of the product. If I'm the one that made the product, I will market it as I see fit. Anybody that gets mad because of the way I market my products, is just wasting an emotion on something that he or she has no control over. So I say live with it. Let the vendor market the product in his or her own way.

FlagonsWorkshop ( ) posted Mon, 10 December 2012 at 12:36 PM · edited Mon, 10 December 2012 at 12:37 PM

To anwer the question of why Smart Content slows me down:  The problem is you can't move stuff around or you break the smart content system.  So you really can't afford to organize your content AND use the content system, because you have no idea of what the content system is tracking.

And if you do use the content system, you can't find your non-smart content because it isn't organized.  So either way you can't find half your conent.  The other problem with the Smart content system is it works fine as long as you don't have much content, but breaks down if you do because it doesn't have subcatagories that make sense.  For isnstance clothing.  Now remember, we are talking Genesis here, where all clothing fits everybody.  So if I am looking for a particular item of clothing how long does it take to find it vs finding it in a well organixzed tree structure (genesis/clothing/female/dresses/formal) for instance.

On the disk space issue, yes, my content takes up a lot of space, but I have a one terrabyte drive (Cost: $100) devoted to it.  You don't have to put your content on your c:, in fact there are some really good reasons not to do that.  And for those that are curious, I have about 200 Gigs of content not including scenes, which I store in the content library to find them eaisily (thanks D/S 4.5).

I use DAZ chiefly for comics, my main characters change shape, travel through time, use magic, and need access to all sorts of odd items.  Which I need to find quickly if I don't want to spend all day rendering one scene when I need about 200.

I realize other people have other constrains in using their computers, but I am all about maximizing my productivity, and hardware is cheap compared to my time.

ZamuelNow ( ) posted Mon, 10 December 2012 at 1:48 PM

Quote -  Something you must consider when you create a product and upload it for sale or as a freebie. It is this: Who are the people that will be able to see the promos? If the underaged people are allowed on the site, as they are here at Renderosity, then nudity in any form would not be appropriate. If only adults are allowed on the site, then the packaging and the promos should be up to the creator of the product. If I'm the one that made the product, I will market it as I see fit. Anybody that gets mad because of the way I market my products, is just wasting an emotion on something that he or she has no control over. So I say live with it. Let the vendor market the product in his or her own way.

I think vendors should have a fair bit of control and I tend to prefer it if they have their own style to their promos since it creates a brand.

However, there's a little caveat emptor problem, especially since these are digital goods.  If a vendor isn't showing their product, we shouldn't feel entitled to buy from them.  And it's more than just nudity.  I've seen promos that do a poor job of letting you know what you're getting on numerous kinds of products.  Most vendors do a good job but it's noticeable and annoying when they don't.

As far as age requirements, I thought this site didn't allow restricted promos or gallery images be seen if not logged in.  That's actually Daz's current problem in that their filters aren't set up so they have a strict block for now.  In fact, it can be noted that though they hold themselves up as being family friendly, the old site did allow nudity.

Agent0013 ( ) posted Mon, 10 December 2012 at 7:26 PM

diogenese19348, I understand that you prefer the way you do things. That is fine. No one should even try to tell you how you should be organized.

For me, I keep my zip filed products on an external hard drive and I have only what I need to use in the next month installed other than the products from DAZ 3D.

I have several programs I use for my artwork; three modeling programs, one UV mapping program, four paint programs, one program I use for creating backgrounds, and of course DAZ Studio as my central application where I usually bring everything together. All together I think this takes up perhaps a little over three or four gigs of memory space on my internal hard drive.

Like you I invested in a 1 terabyte external, and I also have a 320 gig external. Along with the 500 gig internal, and that gives me plenty of memory to play with.

I do have my own organizing setup which normally works well for me but I can say without being ashamed that it could use a good bit of work. Finding the time to do that work is another thing entirely. For now, what I am doing is reorganizing a little at a time, as this is at best a tedious task that I can only work at for so long before I need to stop and find something else to do.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.