Mon, Jun 17, 4:49 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 16 8:21 pm)

Subject: P9/PP2012 SR1 is here

grichter ( ) posted Wed, 21 December 2011 at 4:13 PM

Quote - Since updating with SR1 there has been a significant lag when switching cameras and when typing text in PP2012 (Mac). First there is a delay of a coouple seconds when nothing happens, then there is a further delay of 3-5 seconds while The Beachball of Death spins. This did not happen before SR1.

An odd thing with the typing -- this lag thing happens even when typing in a Save dialog as well as typing in parameter values or naming something to save to the library. 

Anyone else, MAc or PC, see this?

A nice fix that is not documented: I no longer must move my cursor over the Preview window before any action in the Library takes effect. This was a problem in the original PP2010 and was fixed in one of the SRs, then appeared again in the original PP2012.

Go to your render settings. Click on the preview tab and turn off the shadows (not near poser at the moment) middle left of the dialog box. Make sure you save as preferred state or on the next launch they will be back. Had this off pre-sr1. Noticed the lag, turned off the preview shadows and all is good again. I only use the preview shadows at the very end of the creation process of a big scene to check lighting. Otherwise it is off all the time.

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

grichter ( ) posted Wed, 21 December 2011 at 4:16 PM

Quote - Do any of the Mac users still have that annoying white hand instead of a proper cursor? And my scrollwheel still doesn't work in the library.

PP2012, OS X 10.6.8...no!, the library works as expected (external). Drag and drop updates target notification instantly. Love the poser library again.

Gary

"Those who lose themselves in a passion lose less than those who lose their passion"

imax24 ( ) posted Wed, 21 December 2011 at 6:07 PM

grichter, thanks for the suggestion, but hardware shading and shadows are off. They were off and SR1 didn't change that setting.

Another lag introduced by SR1 is when closing the program. There's a lag of 5-10 seconds while the beachball spins before Poser asks if I want to save changes. This is even with an empty scene where nothing was ever done.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Wed, 21 December 2011 at 6:38 PM

imax, what top processes are running in activity mon. when you see the beachball?

do you see network activity during the beachball or during startup?

is poser app/runtime installed on external HD?

imax24 ( ) posted Wed, 21 December 2011 at 8:44 PM

Miss Nancy, during the Poser lag something called "pictd" spikes to over 90% of CPU usage in Activity Monitor, then drops to nothing after the lag. During startup and shutdown there is a spike in data received over the network, but not during the camera switches or text entry.

No one else is complaining about this, so it must be my setup. The only thing different from prior to SR1 is that I had to move my Poser app folder into Applications just to get the update to work. (I had previously moved it elsewhere.)

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Wed, 21 December 2011 at 9:47 PM · edited Wed, 21 December 2011 at 9:54 PM

it's hard to say why this would occur.  it's the pict-draw helper, a known bug for 10.6/10.7.  I doubt there would be any picts (old mac img filetype used by 32-bit cpu) trying to load.  maybe clipboard is full, clipboard monitor process active or some problem/process involving quicktime.  let SM know, e.g. which quicktime version, qt 10.0 or later, or is qt pro 7.x installed as well.  adobe allegedly agreed to kill flash for html5.  It would be a bummer if the latest flash update causes this IMVHO.

I'm not seeing quickdraw nor pictd during startup.  it's almost like your scene might have some old pict texture or something, which means loading the default scene wouldn't cause it, unless the default scene is bad somehow.

Miss Nancy ( ) posted Wed, 21 December 2011 at 10:11 PM

I just checked - poser may give an error trying to load a pict, or it may just pretend to load it, but it actually fails.  I couldn't even view/generate a pict with preview.app in 64-bit mode.

imax24 ( ) posted Wed, 21 December 2011 at 10:55 PM

This happens even in fresh scenes with no content. The only textures are Ground and Background, and those don't call on any images, they're just colors.

Whatever it is, it started with SR1, which is not playing well with something or other that the previous version had no objection to.

nobodyinparticular ( ) posted Wed, 21 December 2011 at 10:58 PM

Hey, the hardware shading no longer slows things down!!!! I like that.

imax24 ( ) posted Wed, 21 December 2011 at 11:04 PM

You know, I forgot the first thing that tech-support people tell you (after they ask you to make sure your computer is plugged in and turned on) -- Reboot and see if that helps.

Lo and behold. That cleared up the lag I was experiencing. There must have been some bugginess that had accumulated, that SR1 can't handle as well as the original release. I feel sort of foolish for not trying that before raising the issue. And yes, my Mac was plugged in!

grichter ( ) posted Wed, 21 December 2011 at 11:15 PM

Glad you got it solved. I was reading the exchange with Miss Nancy and thinking yikes, what they hey was going on.

Gary

Tunesy ( ) posted Thu, 22 December 2011 at 12:29 AM

Hmm.  I'm a registered owner of P2012 but it wants me to enter credit card stuff and charge me $1.68 or something for SR1.  Is this how it's supposed to work?

Kalypso ( ) posted Thu, 22 December 2011 at 12:40 AM
Site Admin

That fee is only for extended download of purchased goods if you want to be able to download it after the time period you are allotted.   You can just remove that from your cart by pressing the remove button on the left or if you are getting it through content paradise there's a rubbish bin on the left that you press.   The updates will always be available should you need to download them again.

imax24 ( ) posted Thu, 22 December 2011 at 12:44 AM

If there's one questionable practice employed by SM and Content Paradise, it's that they include Download Protection by default on their invoices. It's up to you to remove it before submitting the order, which is not really kosher in most people's eyes. Many folks just trust that the invoice is OK and click through.

Anyway, just remove that $1.68 item and proceed with the order. Then you won't need your credit card because there's no charge.

Tunesy ( ) posted Thu, 22 December 2011 at 12:48 AM

Thanks, guys.  That worked.  Was trying to change the Quantity to 0, which it wouldn't let me do.  But the "remove" button, which I somehow managed to overlook, worked fine.

ghosty12 ( ) posted Thu, 22 December 2011 at 6:29 AM

Well for me the service release seems to have improved PP2012 heaps for me. But will be on the lookout for more. :)

You know you enjoy 3D Art when you realize that your life is a piece of 3D Art. :)

Core I7 8700K, 32GB, RTX 3060 12G, Windows 10 64bit, Poser 9 / Pro 2012 / Pro 2014, Daz Studio 4.20 Pro

parkdalegardener ( ) posted Thu, 22 December 2011 at 7:51 AM

Quote - If there's one questionable practice employed by SM and Content Paradise, it's that they include Download Protection by default on their invoices. It's up to you to remove it before submitting the order, which is not really kosher in most people's eyes. Many folks just trust that the invoice is OK and click through.

Anyway, just remove that $1.68 item and proceed with the order. Then you won't need your credit card because there's no charge.

Negative billing grrrrrrrrrr. For those like me that don't allow scripts to run it really p!ssed me off that I couldn't do anything about it. Took a few minutes till I realized invoicing is a background script. I'm a bit dense some days but against being screwed all days. To me negative billing is getting screwed.

AnAardvark ( ) posted Thu, 22 December 2011 at 9:26 AM

Quote - > Quote - > Quote - I didn't have any problems with the library and preferences once I copied my backed up ones over. However, in preview I no longer see shadows, which is a pain.

It sounds like the update reset your Preview settings. You should be able to change it back to use hardware shading and show shadows in Preview.

Personally I only use shadows in Preview to check the lighting, then turn them off again once I'm satisfied. It bogs down camera and dial performance too much for my taste to leave it on all the time.

That didn't seem to help.

But updating my graphics driver fixed it.

hemi426 ( ) posted Fri, 23 December 2011 at 11:26 AM · edited Fri, 23 December 2011 at 11:38 AM

Quote - The SR is pretty hefty at 160 MB. It includes a complete replacement for the Poser app.

The last BattleField3 Patch was 3.9GB! Had to download 3 times!

Back to the topic: Orbit selected mode seems to work now with Space Navigator. Not sure yet if it's perfect. I am running PoserPro 2012 on Win7 Home Premium 64Bit.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.