Sun, Jun 16, 7:42 PM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 15 9:36 pm)

Subject: Missing the NO_MAT file

NanetteTredoux ( ) posted Mon, 30 May 2011 at 1:41 PM · edited Sun, 29 October 2023 at 3:59 AM

I don't know how this happened, but I seem to have lost a file called NO_MAT. When I load Bagginsbill's VSS it looks for it. I have looked in my downloaded content folders and everywhere else I could think of, but I can't find this file (which is probably a jpg or png file). What is this file and where should it be?

Poser 11 Pro, Windows 10

Auxiliary Apps: Blender 2.79, Vue Complete 2016, Genetica 4 Pro, Gliftex 11 Pro, CorelDraw Suite X6, Comic Life 2, Project Dogwaffle Howler 8, Stitch Witch

Medzinatar ( ) posted Mon, 30 May 2011 at 1:52 PM

On some props, I get a message that it can't find the "NO_MAP" file because of way file is written.

I just made a zero length file call "NO_MAP" (no extension used) and put it at top of :runtime:textures folder (that's first place it looks).

PhilC ( ) posted Mon, 30 May 2011 at 2:00 PM

Where no map is required the notation in the file should be:-

bumpMap NO_MAP

if it is:-

bumpMap "NO_MAP"

then Poser reads it as a file path and tries to find it. A quick work around is as stated above by Medzinatar. The difficulty here is that although you have fixed it on your computer, should you have need to distribute a file set containing the error, you'll not see it but the recipients of the files will.

There may be other ways to get the error also.

Hope that helps.

nruddock ( ) posted Mon, 30 May 2011 at 3:32 PM

What version of Poser are you using ?

You may have missed an update as that problem was supposed to have been fixed by P7SR2 (see ReadMe for P7SR2 or P7SR3)

JohnDoe641 ( ) posted Mon, 30 May 2011 at 4:43 PM

Quote - What version of Poser are you using ?

You may have missed an update as that problem was supposed to have been fixed by P7SR2 (see ReadMe for P7SR2 or P7SR3)

I get it too and I have P8 8.0.3.11793 which is the latest version.

nruddock ( ) posted Mon, 30 May 2011 at 5:08 PM

Attached Link: http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=2705751#2705751

> Quote - > Quote - What version of Poser are you using ? You may have missed an update as that problem was supposed to have been fixed by P7SR2 (see ReadMe for P7SR2 or P7SR3) > > I get it too and I have P8 8.0.3.11793 which is the latest version.

That's odd, maybe they only fixed the node bit to recognise the additional forms and not the P4 legacy handler. The best thing to do is to fix files with an editor (if there are a lot of files, you'll need an editor that does search and replace over multiple files).

jwalte ( ) posted Thu, 02 June 2011 at 6:54 PM

I am running Poser Pro 2011 on a MacPro 8-core/ 10.6x and have installed BagginsBill's VSS. I have used it several times to some success and am very happy but for still not being totally up to speed on the most esoteric things revealed by lurking on the forum.

I too, when loading the VSS Generic Figure Object from my Runtime>Props, get a prompt to locate "NO_MAP". I hit cancel and continue on. When I click "synchronize" to apply VSS to my figure's shaders and textures it removes the textures in OpenGL preview and leaves me with a white figure (although I can see my transmapped eyelashes faintly). When rendered all is there and the render is mapped as expected. I'm assuming this may have something to do with the lack of having no NO_MAP to apply.

Medzinztar, please explain a no length file. Are we talking about a blank image file(jpg,etc.)?

Is any one else having the all white OpenGL figure issue?

Thanks in advance for any help.

jwalte ( ) posted Thu, 02 June 2011 at 6:58 PM

...uh, that would be Poser Pro 2010 not 2011. Don't want any one to think I have an inside line to S/M

Vestmann ( ) posted Thu, 02 June 2011 at 8:18 PM

I think you're using an obsolete version of VSS.  Have you tried loading loading the VSS_PR3 prop instead?  You can get it here:

VSS Home

Vestmann's Gallery

markschum ( ) posted Thu, 02 June 2011 at 8:22 PM

No_Map is used to indicate no image file for a parameter which normally has an image.

Sometimes people put it in quotes "No_Map" which makes Poser look for it.  If a particular figure, prop or mat pose (mc6 or mt5 as well) looks for a file , open it in a text editor and check for the text in quotes. 

heres part of a mat pose to show what it should look like

bumpStrength 1
        ksIgnoreTexture 0
        reflectThruLights 1
        reflectThruKd 0
        textureMap ":Runtime:Textures:PW Texture files:Scrubs:ScrubsTop-Surgical.jpg"
                 0 0
        bumpMap NO_MAP
        reflectionMap NO_MAP
        transparencyMap NO_MAP
        ReflectionColor 1 1 1 1
        reflectionStrength 1

bagginsbill ( ) posted Thu, 02 June 2011 at 9:57 PM

I'm lurking. I don't know how incorrect NO_MAP citations got into the VSS prop or which one it is. I never wrote any by hand. It was Poser doing it wrong.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

jwalte ( ) posted Fri, 03 June 2011 at 11:06 AM

Quote - I think you're using an obsolete version of VSS.  Have you tried loading loading the VSS_PR3 prop instead?  You can get it here:

VSS Home

Thanks,

I am in fact using the VSS_PR3_1 from that page. I have also tried typing "NO_PROP" into Runtime>Textures but to no avail. Strangely enough, if I load a "casual" figure like James with jeans and t-shirt, the clothing is visible in preview but the skin is still white.

I could work this way. It's not like work arounds aren't a major part of CGI.

jwalte ( ) posted Fri, 03 June 2011 at 11:39 AM

Quote - On some props, I get a message that it can't find the "NO_MAP" file because of way file is written.

I just made a zero length file call "NO_MAP" (no extension used) and put it at top of :runtime:textures folder (that's first place it looks).

May be I'm doing this incorrectly. What is zero length file. I made a small empty jpg image and removed the extension???

Winterclaw ( ) posted Fri, 03 June 2011 at 12:32 PM

Would a value of 'NO_MAP' be interpreted incorrectly as  if it was "NO_MAP"; basically are single quotes also incorrect?

WARK!

Thus Spoketh Winterclaw: a blog about a Winterclaw who speaks from time to time.

(using Poser Pro 2014 SR3, on 64 bit Win 7, poser units are inches.)

markschum ( ) posted Fri, 03 June 2011 at 12:52 PM

any quotes I believe will make it a real file name rather than a tag (for lack of a better word)

so quotes bad :(

:)

Winterclaw ( ) posted Fri, 03 June 2011 at 1:30 PM · edited Fri, 03 June 2011 at 1:30 PM

In that case, try changing vss.py (MAKE A BACKUP FIRST) 'NO_MAP' to NO_MAP wherever you see it and see if that helps.

WARK!

Thus Spoketh Winterclaw: a blog about a Winterclaw who speaks from time to time.

(using Poser Pro 2014 SR3, on 64 bit Win 7, poser units are inches.)

NanetteTredoux ( ) posted Fri, 03 June 2011 at 1:36 PM

You are right, it is the NO_MAP file, not NO_MAT!

Thanks for the help.

Poser 11 Pro, Windows 10

Auxiliary Apps: Blender 2.79, Vue Complete 2016, Genetica 4 Pro, Gliftex 11 Pro, CorelDraw Suite X6, Comic Life 2, Project Dogwaffle Howler 8, Stitch Witch

Medzinatar ( ) posted Fri, 03 June 2011 at 2:41 PM

Quote - > Quote - On some props, I get a message that it can't find the "NO_MAP" file because of way file is written.

May be I'm doing this incorrectly. What is zero length file. I made a small empty jpg image and removed the extension???

check your site mail please.

sent a detailed explanation there

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 03 June 2011 at 3:15 PM · edited Fri, 03 June 2011 at 3:18 PM

Quote - In that case, try changing vss.py (MAKE A BACKUP FIRST) 'NO_MAP' to NO_MAP wherever you see it and see if that helps.

NOOOO! Python language is not Poser language. 

In Python, 'NO_MAP' and "NO_MAP" are the only way to get the unadorned text NO_MAP into a file. The quotes are not sent into the file. In Python, to get "NO_MAP", you would have to write '"NO_MAP"' or ""NO_MAP"".

Anyway - VSS is not setting NO_MAP - it is looking for those and trying to get rid of them.

It's the material itself that has the problem.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

SteveJax ( ) posted Fri, 03 June 2011 at 5:56 PM

Quote - When I click "synchronize" to apply VSS to my figure's shaders and textures it removes the textures in OpenGL preview and leaves me with a white figure (although I can see my transmapped eyelashes faintly). When rendered all is there and the render is mapped as expected. I'm assuming this may have something to do with the lack of having no NO_MAP to apply.

No_MAP has nothing to do with the whited out figures. You get this effect from materials that don't have anything plugged into the diffuse channel. Many use the Alt-Diffuse instead. They will render just fine but show white in preview.

jwalte ( ) posted Sat, 04 June 2011 at 10:25 AM

Quote - > Quote - > Quote - On some props, I get a message that it can't find the "NO_MAP" file because of way file is written.

check your site mail please.

sent a detailed explanation there

Thanks Medzinatar, and all who replied. In fact all my issues went away when I installed SR1 last night at 1:00 am. Duh! Jeez, I should have known better. I've been reluctant since it's a 111 MB download and I live in a very rural area ( 7 miles outside of a town of 400 ). To say the least our dial up is SLOW ( 8 hours with 2 restarts ).

Thank you, every one for the responses.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.