Sat, Jun 1, 5:03 PM CDT

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 01 3:00 am)

Subject: PoserPro2010 vs Poser 6

Acadia ( ) posted Thu, 25 November 2010 at 6:51 AM · edited Wed, 29 May 2024 at 11:02 AM

I see that I can get a side grade of PoserPro2010 for about $100.00 US with the Black Friday Coupon.

I've never been one to upgrade a program if the current version I have meets my needs. Case in point.... Paint Shop Pro is up to version 14 or something. I still use Version 7 and 8.

I started with Poser 5. It took me a couple years, but I finally upgraded to Poser 6 only because I discovered that there was a feature in the clothroom that wasn't in Poser 5, that allowed me to use conforming skirts/dresses in the clothroom. 

To be honest, I'd probably still be using Poser 5 had it not been for the clothroom change that pushed me over the edge. However, once I got Poser 6, I was pleasantly surprised (ok, well, completely freaked out at first)  to find that the lighting change made it so that I could actually do my own lights now instead of having to fret about 20 lights or more in a scene to get adequate lighting. I have dozens of light sets, but 99% of the time I make my own, or majorly tweak an existing set to suit my needs.

The price of this new version is tempting.  However, please give me reasons for me to upgrade, other than just the price is tempting.

Other than "Pro" on it, what is the difference?  Features? Nodes? Libraries? Render speed?  Lighting?  Etc.   You know, the features that Poser Pro has that Poser 6 doesn't, and what makes those features worth spending the money on.

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

kyhighlander59 ( ) posted Thu, 25 November 2010 at 6:53 AM

Poser 6 still has crosstalk problems whereas the new versions have elliminated it.

It comes with wardrobe wizard

Acadia ( ) posted Thu, 25 November 2010 at 6:55 AM

Quote - Poser 6 still has crosstalk problems whereas the new versions have elliminated it.

It comes with wardrobe wizard

Eliminating Crosstalk would be a great thing!!!

I already have WW. Both versions in fact. I gave up on version 2 though. I can't get my head wrapped around it so I still use version 1 for it's simplicity.

BAR-CODE ( ) posted Thu, 25 November 2010 at 6:57 AM

for that kind of money its a good deal ..

So you cant hurt yourself that much getting it..

Chris

IF YOU WANT TO CONTACT BAR-CODE SENT A  PM to 26FAHRENHEIT  "same person"

Chris

My Free Stuff

kyhighlander59 ( ) posted Thu, 25 November 2010 at 6:58 AM

I usually have to devote a week or so to learn something new. Modeling human anatomy had me totally stumped for many years, finally I sat down on my vacation and devoted the entire time to learning to model the human anatomy. I got it figured out finally. I'm over 50 and I get winded if the learning curve is too steep a climb. LOL

That may be what you need to do with WWII.

kyhighlander59 ( ) posted Thu, 25 November 2010 at 6:59 AM

Also in the later versions you have support for multi core processors. Makes renders much quicker.

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Thu, 25 November 2010 at 7:05 AM

Hi Linda... well, you already know my obsession with GC and all that lighting stuff we've been learning about on this forum. Whether that is only of academic interest to you or whether you feel that it will make a substantial difference in how you "Poser" might help decide if the upgrade is worth it. There are so many things that Poser Pro 2010 does that I haven't even explored yet, and I'm excited at the prospect of learning/trying them. It's perhaps feeling like one can have a play with those new bells and whistles and make Poser images pop would make me think $100 is a reasonbly decent investment.

Personally, I like the new library system. However, there are those who hate it with a passion. Rather a personal thing, I suppose.

I can't recall if you said your system is reasonably new: Poser Pro 2010 will take advantage of a lot of the features Windows 7 and faster processors and large amounts of RAM will offer. That said: my long-in-the-tooth system (still a P4) is able to run Poser Pro 2010 quite nicely, including renders at a decent speed.

I find it as stable as Poser 7 ever was, which was rock-stable on my system, much more so than Poser 8. But again, that was my system and perhaps how I had things set up.

Is it worth $100? If I had it to do over again, I'd emphatically do so, and I actually paid a little bit more for my side-grade.

Caveat: as with anything more complex and feature-rich, be prepared for a learning curve. There is so much that you can do with this version... the tutorials have definitely NOT all been written.

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

cspear ( ) posted Thu, 25 November 2010 at 8:16 AM

If you're expecting the same 'load and render' experience in PP2010 that you can get in P6, well, you won't.

A lot of pre Poser 8 / PP2010 shaders and lighting setups are designed to get round their lack of 'Global Illumination' (called IDL in Poser) and Gamma Correction. You will have to get your head round this new stuff, and you will have to be prepared to do a fair bit of editing in the materials room to get things to work as they should.

The good news is that, once you've figured it all out, creating lighting setups and building shaders from scratch is actually much simpler than in P7 and earlier.

Windows 10 x64 Pro - Intel Xeon E5450 @ 3.00GHz (x2)

PoserPro 11 - Units: Metres

Adobe CC 2017

wolf359 ( ) posted Thu, 25 November 2010 at 12:49 PM

Im still on P6 but in my case I never render in poser thus making any version after P6 Moot.

Cheers

My website

YouTube Channel

FightingWolf ( ) posted Thu, 25 November 2010 at 3:43 PM

Wolf.. what do render in?

I have both Poser 8 and Poser 2010 and for what I do, both works equally well.  The only reason I purchased Poser Pro 2010 was for Article Review purposes and tutorial purposes.  If I wasn't doing article reviews then I wouldn't have purchased the Pro Version.  I like the library in it as well as the Material room but other than that it's not a big advancement for me, but I'm only saying that the perspective of an Beginner to Intermediate skill level use. 

Maybe someone who works on more advance areas of Poser see a much bigger difference.  I'm kind of like you, Acadia.  If the old software is still getting the job done then I probably one upgrade.  Like I still use photoshop CS and will probably only upgrade to a later version when it is of a bigger benefit to do so.

wolf359 ( ) posted Thu, 25 November 2010 at 4:38 PM · edited Thu, 25 November 2010 at 4:40 PM

file_462105.jpg

***"Wolf.. what do render in***?***"***

Cinema4D Studio R11 with INTERPOSER PRO® and  Vray...

My website

YouTube Channel

wolf359 ( ) posted Thu, 25 November 2010 at 4:39 PM

file_462106.jpg

........and NextLimit Maxwell Render (Unbiased)

My website

YouTube Channel

FyreSpiryt ( ) posted Thu, 25 November 2010 at 5:17 PM

Other than "Pro" on it, what is the difference?  Features? Nodes? Libraries? Render speed?  Lighting?

Yes to almost all.  Gamma correction, physically correct light fall-off model, indirect lighting, HDRI on IBL lights, much faster render speed with better utilization of multiple cores, AO on lights actually works (if you're not using IDL), library is more flexible, Python allows more sophisticated scripts, and those are just off the top of my head.  A $100 upgrade from Poser 6 to Poser Pro 2010 will give you HUGE bang for your buck.  I heartily recommend it.

FightingWolf ( ) posted Thu, 25 November 2010 at 5:20 PM

Quote -
"Wolf.. what do render in?"

Cinema4D Studio R11 with INTERPOSER PRO® and  Vray...

That's HOT.

Acadia ( ) posted Thu, 25 November 2010 at 6:03 PM

Ok. I'm seriously tempted.

From Poser 6 to PoserPro, do I pick "Sidegrade Digital Hybrid $249.00"?  I use Windows.

Acadia ( ) posted Thu, 25 November 2010 at 6:20 PM

Ok. You all convinced me!

I am now the proud owner of the most recent version of Poser!  Just downloading the files snow.

With the extended download, it was just over $103.00 USD.  About $110.00 Canadian right now.  I likely won't have a chance to install it or try it out until December 4th or 5th though.  And I'm sure I'll be posting asking tons and tons of questions!!!

JohnDoe641 ( ) posted Thu, 25 November 2010 at 7:53 PM

Nice, congrats on the purchase. :)

I hope you don't mind if I ask a similar question? :D

I have Poser 8, is PP2010 substantially different? I'm not sure how different the two versions are but I know the gamma correction has always been something I wanted. Though I guess I can still just use photoshop for that.

Doesn't PP also include low res people to populate scences?

FightingWolf ( ) posted Thu, 25 November 2010 at 8:02 PM

Quote - And I'm sure I'll be posting asking tons and tons of questions!!!

Don't read the manual. It will just confuse you ha ha ha

FightingWolf ( ) posted Thu, 25 November 2010 at 8:04 PM

Quote - gamma correction has always been something I wanted. Though I guess I can still just use photoshop for that.

Doesn't Poser 8 had Gamma Correction Script in it?

MagnusGreel ( ) posted Thu, 25 November 2010 at 8:10 PM

I'll take 2010 in the 3rd round, knock out for $5, ok?

Airport security is a burden we must all shoulder. Do your part, and please grope yourself in advance.

JohnDoe641 ( ) posted Thu, 25 November 2010 at 10:27 PM

Quote - > Quote - gamma correction has always been something I wanted. Though I guess I can still just use photoshop for that.

Doesn't Poser 8 had Gamma Correction Script in it?

It's possible that I've missed it but I just chekced and didn't see anything. :(

WandW ( ) posted Thu, 25 November 2010 at 10:43 PM

Good Move! 😄

PP does include lower res folks that you can modify and distribute...

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Wisdom of bagginsbill:

"Oh - the manual says that? I have never read the manual - this must be why."
“I could buy better software, but then I'd have to be an artist and what's the point of that?"
"The [R'osity Forum Search] 'Default' label should actually say 'Don't Find What I'm Looking For'".
bagginsbill's Free Stuff... https://web.archive.org/web/20201010171535/https://sites.google.com/site/bagginsbill/Home

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Fri, 26 November 2010 at 4:13 AM

In Poser 8, you need to do gamma-correction in the materials (if you're going to gamma-correct). In Poser Pro (any version), GC is inbuilt.

For shader-based gamma-correction, simply do a search on "gamma" with user as "Bagginsbill". Yes, it's a bit time-consuming, but well-worth the effort, if only for the added experience in the material room. :biggrin:

@ Acadia: I'm reading every thread I can get me grubby little fingers on re: Poser Pro and the features here on the forums... and am blown away at what people are able to do. As much as I've explored stuff, I'm still nowhere near where I want to be. Others have taken this - successfully - much, much farther. So as you ask your questions, I'll be taking notes. 😄 Very much looking forward to your experiences.

As a side note, if you were ever curious about shaders and Daz Studio, I've been doing a bit of exploring on my own. Bagginsbill even made an appearance, for which I was very grateful! since he cleared up a - as it turns out - simple question for me. Simple, only because I should have figured it out myself, but he had to turn on the light for me again, didn't he? 😕

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

ice-boy ( ) posted Fri, 26 November 2010 at 6:27 AM

Quote - Nice, congrats on the purchase. :)

I hope you don't mind if I ask a similar question? :D

I have Poser 8, is PP2010 substantially different? I'm not sure how different the two versions are but I know the gamma correction has always been something I wanted. Though I guess I can still just use photoshop for that.

Doesn't PP also include low res people to populate scences?

it will not look so good.  

Poser Pro 2010 has GI,HDRI rendering,rendering in passes,full body morph works very good ,.....

basicwiz ( ) posted Fri, 26 November 2010 at 9:09 AM

Not to mention that it is a true 64 bit application, which makes it run very, very fast!

IDL makes it worth the upgrade if for no other reason.

cspear ( ) posted Fri, 26 November 2010 at 9:47 AM

Also worth noting that PP2010 will render Auxillary data: Z-depth as well as Position (X, Y and Z) and 'Texture Coordinates'; also separate diffuse, specular and shadow passes through D3D's render script.

The position passes can be used to introduce depth of field and distance haze in post-processing; I haven't figured out what Texture Coordinates are for; and being able to control diffuse, specular and shadows individually in post-processing can be pretty useful.

Windows 10 x64 Pro - Intel Xeon E5450 @ 3.00GHz (x2)

PoserPro 11 - Units: Metres

Adobe CC 2017

Plutom ( ) posted Fri, 26 November 2010 at 11:20 AM

Hi Linda, first of all congratulations on the upgrade, and what an upgrade it is! It's like going from a 1948 Buick to a 2010 Spider (the one that goes from zero to 60 in 3.2 seconds and costs $500,000 according to Popular Science).  You probably have monitored all the posts here about the RAM requirements for this puppy.

My question is how in the world can you wait until the 3rd of December before flight testing the puppy.

The good news is that your learning curve will not be very difficult because what you have learned in P5 and 6 still apply.  Also don't forget to check out the Mini Cooper in your new Poser.  Jan

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.