Sat, Jun 1, 5:20 AM CDT

Welcome to the Community Center Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Community Center F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 01 2:59 am)

Forum news, updates, events, etc. Please sitemail any notices or questions for the staff to the Forum Moderators.

Subject: SigGraph 2009

Lakotariver ( ) posted Sun, 12 July 2009 at 10:46 PM · edited Sat, 01 June 2024 at 4:33 AM

file_434635.gif

Hello my Artistic Friends. Well, SigGraph 2009 is just around the corner and I applied for some Passes from Renderosity and now I am waiting to hear back. I guess something is comming in the mail. Im not sure since it did not go into detail. Im not sure how all this works but will this cost me anything to attend? Are these free passes into the event? I live in the Houston area and the event is in New Orleans. This is only 346 miles from me according to MapQuest and I plan to drive there. It is 5 to 6 hour drive and not a big deal. That is one tank of gas for me. LOL Can anyone who has attended SigGraph tell me what to expect? I am very excited about it and I have looked up all the Companys that will be there and Wow, This is Big. I was even surprised to see that Nvidia and AMD will be there too. Many of the names I saw are new to me but many of them I do know. Anyway, Anything you can share would be welcome. Thanks

agiel ( ) posted Sun, 12 July 2009 at 10:58 PM

I will not attend this year, but I have attended a few editions of SIGGRAPH in the past.

• Take good shoes. You will walk a lot.

• Pack light when going to the events, especially the Industry Exhibit. You will walk away with a lot of goodies, bags, handouts and probably other things you will buy there (books,DVDs, etc).

• Study the program attentively. Depending on your level of access, you will have too many things to see and you will have to make difficult choices. 

• Even if all you do is going to the Exhibit, you can sign up for free classes, demos and walk away with some experience that you did not have before. Show up early if you want to sign up - classes fill out quickly.

SIGGRAPH is a blast. Have fun.

agiel ( ) posted Sun, 12 July 2009 at 11:05 PM

I also took quite a few pictures from past years. 

Some are in the archives of the home page news here at Renderosity ( here and here ). My whole collection is accessible at my flickr account.

Lakotariver ( ) posted Mon, 13 July 2009 at 7:38 AM · edited Mon, 13 July 2009 at 7:41 AM

WOW,
AGIEL,
You tooks a lot of pics. This is really a big event. I will take lots of pics myself.
I am hoping I can get a good book about Vue 7 at a good price while I am there. E-ON will be there.
I plan to leave Houston around 4 in the morning and should arrive around 10 in the morning.
Is there a place to purchase lunch at the event? First booth I will search out for is the Renderosity booth. From looking at your photos. I can tell I will see some Graphic tech I have only read about. I get the Computer Graphics World Magezine and I have read about what it takes to make some of the films we see in the movies today and the Technology that is required is really wild. I am very excited about this. Now, Only to wate for my passes from Rendo here in the mail. I really do not know how this works. If I have to fill out any forums and send them in or what. That part I am a little worried about because it is only about 3 weeks away now.
Thanks for shairing your experence. Love your pics too.

agiel ( ) posted Mon, 13 July 2009 at 8:27 AM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/survey/index.php?Ques=84

Ah yes - pictures and SIGGRAPH. I almost forgot.

Taking pictures at SIGGRAPH is tricky. 

Traditionally, taking pictures is reserved to the press. This is something I still fail to understand, as SIGGRAPH is a very visual event and almost everybody who goes there has a camera somewhere (even if it is only their phone).

So in practice, people just ignore the restriction and take pictures anyway. Just look on flickr for Siggraph and you will see what I mean.

So, if you want to take pictures :

• be discrete about it. No flash !

• be prepared to have people tell you to put your camera away. 

• take a camera that can handle low / bad lighting. Fluorescent lights from the Exhibit are very bad. Absence of light in the Emerging Technologies section is worse.

Also, if you have questions about the passes, I suggest you contact a moderator or staff member. 

I suppose you filled in the attached survey ?

Lakotariver ( ) posted Mon, 13 July 2009 at 8:36 AM · edited Mon, 13 July 2009 at 8:36 AM

Yes,
I filled out the survey.
I just do not know what to do next.
I gave them my home address, Phone number and email address. Even told them I plan to drive there since it is so close to home.
I just do not recall reading about what comes next. Do they mail me something? Some forums to fill out? Do I have to send fourms back in? The time is not far away and each day we get closer to it. I get a little worried about missing out on it.
I just do not know.
Perhaps I can call them a little later if I can find a number to do so.
Oh well, I keep telling myself, There is still time. LOL

Lakotariver ( ) posted Mon, 13 July 2009 at 9:38 AM

Ok,
I called them up and I was told my packet for getting into the event is being sent today. I do not have to fill out any fourms and send something in.
This is great.
Very Exciting for me. I will be in rendered graphic heaven, LOL

StaceyG ( ) posted Mon, 13 July 2009 at 11:13 AM

Be sure to come by the Renderosity booth Lakota, we would love to meet you!!

Lakotariver ( ) posted Mon, 13 July 2009 at 1:11 PM

Thank you Stacey,
Actually I had planned to make your booth my first stop to thank everyone for making it possible for me to go.
It is actually a simple dirve for me to get there. I just drive down Interstate 10 from Houston to New Orleans. One Highway to take me there. LOL  I have made this drive before. You see, my employment is in the import and export of cargo for ships. Our mother company is in New Orleans. I work in the Houston branch.
I plan to be there on the 4th. See you all there. Smiles

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Mon, 13 July 2009 at 7:04 PM

Dang, Im in Conroe and can't go...:sad: *waves at Lakota from 42 miles away"

So do me a fav and snap some pics of the Rendo staff :D

Have fun!

~Jani

Renderosity Community Admin
---------------------------------------

Lakotariver ( ) posted Mon, 13 July 2009 at 7:24 PM

Jumpstartme2,
I plan on going on the 4th. Im leaving between 4 and 5 in the morning and I should arrive around 10 or 11 am. I will be comming back the same day and I will leave Siggraph around 5 or 6 pm. That gives me 7 or 8 hours there. I believe the passes are only 1 day passes plus I have to work the next day anyway. LOL
If you find that you can attend. I can give you a ride. Just send me an email at mcholloway@prodigy.net and I will give you my phone number.
This is my first Siggraph and I am very excited about it.

StaceyG ( ) posted Mon, 13 July 2009 at 7:28 PM

Oooh I wish Jani could go.. Maybe it will work out that she can ride with you Lakota??? That would be cool

Lakotariver ( ) posted Mon, 13 July 2009 at 7:39 PM · edited Mon, 13 July 2009 at 7:41 PM

Yes, It would be fun to have a fellow artist ride along with me.
Im in the Pasadena area and I know Jumpstartme2 knows where im at. My address is Pasadena, TX but it is smack in the middle of Houston. Im right next to the Ship Channel here. Kind of difficult to explain. I work mostly along the Houston Ship Channel but often my work takes me to the port of Galveston and the Port of Freeport, Several ports in Corpus too but once in a great while. I have had to go to Lousianna along the coast there to a number of Ports. If you are curious. This is me. 

http://s253.photobucket.com/albums/hh47/Lakotafeather/The%20Artist/

Anyway, The offer is there if Jumpstartme2 can come. Kind of a long drive. About the same as driving to Dallas

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Tue, 14 July 2009 at 1:07 AM

Ooo thanks so much for the ride offer, if I can swing it, Id love to ride with you..I have never managed to get to a Siggraph yet and that would be so cool to ride with a fellow artist :biggrin:

My problem stems from both my parents being in the hospital right now..not sure how much longer they will be in there, and how much trouble I will have when they get out..might be too worn out to go anywhere but a few feet to my pillow :lol:

But I'll def let you know ahead of time if I can swing it..thanks so much! 😄

~Jani

Lakotariver ( ) posted Tue, 14 July 2009 at 6:46 AM

Ok Jumpstartme2,
I understand. I wish them the best in their recovery.
If it looks like you can make it. Just let me know. I know you have your hands full right now. Perhaps it will still work out. Smiles to you.

Lakotariver ( ) posted Tue, 14 July 2009 at 7:39 AM

Oh Jumpstartme2,
I sent you my phone number on a PM here.
Just incase you can make it.
Just give me a call and we can work out the details.
Smiles to you.

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Tue, 14 July 2009 at 3:50 PM

Thanks so much, I'll def let you know one way or the other 😄

~Jani

ThunderStone ( ) posted Fri, 17 July 2009 at 9:03 AM

Well, I got the pass but I can't go to the Siggraph... I'm in NY and have to work... BUMMER!!! Got a last minute project and have to take care of mother dearest as brother has to work... Sooooo.....

:b_crying:

One of these days, I hope they will have it in NYC... That way I can work, take care of mother and go and have fun.... Not necessary in that order....

HEY! I can dream, can't I???

===========================================================

Poser: Poser 11.3 ...... Units: inches or meters depends on mood
Bryce: Bryce Pro 7.1.074
Image Editing: Corel Paintshop Pro
Renderer: Superfly, Firefly

9/11/2001: Never forget...

Smiles are contagious... Pass it on!

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday

Lakotariver ( ) posted Fri, 17 July 2009 at 6:26 PM

I got my Passes in the mail today too.
I only asked for one but got two.
Sorry ThunderStone that you wont be able to make it.
I bet they will have it in NY sometime in the near future.
Well, It is getting closer to the time at SigGraph.
Happy Renders everyone

agiel ( ) posted Fri, 17 July 2009 at 7:10 PM · edited Fri, 17 July 2009 at 7:13 PM

Well... actually, SIGGRAPH is moving further away from NY.

2010 will be back in Los Angeles
2011 will be in... Vancouver, Canada

and if it's not far enough for you, there is still SIGGRAPH ASIA 2009, in Yokohama, Japan in December :)

Hawkins-GraFX ( ) posted Sat, 18 July 2009 at 9:09 AM

You guys will have a blast.

I miss going to SigGraph. Its a ton of fun and a lot of cool/talented people there.

Like Agiel said, wear GOOD walking shoes. My feet would hurt like hell every night.

(waves at Agiel)

Clint

Lakotariver ( ) posted Sat, 18 July 2009 at 11:57 AM · edited Sat, 18 July 2009 at 12:03 PM

I am ready to go.
After all I have seen you all post about it and looking at the pics Agiel posted links too. I am ready. Im sitting in my Truck and waiting. LOL
I wish someone who will make it would say hello. I would love to meet up with them if they are there on the same day. I will be there on the 4th.
First stop is to see the Rendo team and thank them for the tickets.
Second stop if Im not side tracked is to see the People at E-ON. I have a few questions about my Vue program. LOL
Nvidia will be a stop for me too. I want to see the latest in production.
Also since both of my computers have AMD Processors. I will make a stop there too. I really do not know what to expect except from what I hear from my Fellow Artist here. If I am lucky, I might have fellow Artist Jumpstartme2 to shair the ride and talk art on the way. Oh, Jumpstart me2, I have a very comfortable Truck with plush seats. Smooth ride so dont worry since it is a Truck. It is a 2003, Mint condition. Most of the time when I think of trucks, I think of ruff seats and fur dice hanging from the mirror, Ha haa, Not this one.
Anyway, Simes to you all.

Hawkins-GraFX ( ) posted Sat, 18 July 2009 at 9:20 PM

Lakota,

"I am ready. Im sitting in my Truck and waiting."

Thats funny. When I use to work at Renderosity the team would all make fun of me because I would be packed at least a week before we had to leave.  LOL...so I understand. I sure miss them poking fun at my insane eagerness to go.  :)

When you visit e-On ask for Rick and/or Beth. They are friends of mine...tell them Clint sent you.. LOL.
They will be doing the Vue Demos in the E-On booth.

Make sure to post back on how much fun you had.  :)

Clint

Lakotariver ( ) posted Sun, 19 July 2009 at 7:39 PM

Clint,
I will make a point to find them and let them know you said hello.
I think I should get out of my truck now and go back inside. LOL
I will post what ever pics I can take while I am there. This is going to be great.

StaceyG ( ) posted Mon, 20 July 2009 at 10:10 AM

Yep Clint definitely was packed WELL ahead of the rest of us lol. He had his list going the year before it was time to go:) 

Me on the other hand, I pack at the last minute BUT I pack way way way too much and can't walk through the airports very well dragging a million bags heehee  (Remember Clint?)

Hawkins-GraFX ( ) posted Mon, 20 July 2009 at 10:38 AM

Hi ya Stacey - Oh how can I forget.

I always had such an amazing time at SigGraph with you guys!

Lots of fun times for sure.
I hope you guys have a good time and its a big success this year!!

Clint

Lakotariver ( ) posted Thu, 23 July 2009 at 2:37 PM

Well,
I find myself outside again sitting in my Truck waiting. 

Lakotariver ( ) posted Fri, 24 July 2009 at 8:43 PM · edited Fri, 24 July 2009 at 8:45 PM

Question for Clint,
I have a number of friends in a Vue Fourm who know I will be there.
The deal is. I have a few questions but so do my friends about the program and the questions have to do with problems.
How should I deal with this?
After all, How rare is it to have the maker of a software you have in front of you? To ask one on one.
Sure would love some advice. Dont want to give them the wrong idea about me.
Oh,
My question is simple and no big deal.
Tell you what it is. In the tabs at the top, you have recient tutorials. I click on that. There is nothing there. Is this something I have to purchase?

I posted this question both at E-ON and Cornucopia.
No one knows the answer.
Oh well.
Advice please?

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Sat, 25 July 2009 at 3:48 AM

What version of Vue do you have Lakota?

Oh, and sadly Im not going to be able to go to Siggraph :crying: Both parents are out of the hospital, but Dad is having a fairly rough time...then to top it off, my brother went in a few days after they got home, then my sister went in 2 days ago, {and I have just gotten over what I think may have been 3 day measles}...both are out and ok, but Im not going to be able to attend Im afraid...just too much going on and Im worn out already. :sad:

But thanks so much for the ride offer Lakota, I appreciate it very much :) Take piccies please!

~Jani

Lakotariver ( ) posted Sat, 25 July 2009 at 6:45 AM

Jumpstartme2,
I understand. It soulds like you and your family just need some healing time. My heart and prayers go out to you.
I will take pics, Just get some rest. Dont work yourself sick.
Oh, I have Vue 7 Complete. A few folks are having problems with Vue. Biggest problem I ever see is installing problems and where to place activation numbers and such. They changed it a bit from Vue 6 but I dont seem to have too many problems. I just have a question about recient tutorials selection under one of the tabs at the top. I have asked the question at E-ON and Cornucopia and no one seems to know the answer. My question is what is it for? The Recient tutorials selection under the Help tab at the top. There is nothing there. Is it for tutorials you purchase? No one can answer it for me.
Oh well. There is rumors about 8 fixing to come out soon and version 7 isnt even finished. The last update is still beta.
There also seems not to be any upgrade option from Vue 7 Complete. Had I known that before I purchased it. I might of made a different choice. I will not pay full price for a upgrade. It looks like I am stuck with it. That is ok tho. I love the program. Oh well. Smiles to you

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Sun, 26 July 2009 at 3:18 AM

Ahh ok, I only have version 5, and mine has a tab at the top for tutorials, but only for a 'kickstart' quickie tutorial.

Maybe yours is for any tutorials that you open on the web and it saves them kind of like 'open recent' in some programs? You could check it maybe by going and finding a tut and viewing it inside Vue, then close it out and see if it appears in that recent tut tab?

Not sure if you can do that in 7..Id check it for you but like I said I only have 5 :sad: Sowwee.

Have fun at Siggraph!

~Jani

Lakotariver ( ) posted Sun, 26 July 2009 at 8:02 AM

That is ok. No one know what it is for and I have tried opening tutorials on the web and saving but it did not work.
Vue 7 has the tutorials like yours but it also has recient tutorials selection in the help section.
Oh, Have you heard about Poser 8? I have the Link. Take a look.
http://poser8.smithmicro.com/index.html

Jumpstartme2 ( ) posted Sun, 26 July 2009 at 3:37 PM

Cool 😄

~Jani

Lakotariver ( ) posted Tue, 28 July 2009 at 7:28 AM · edited Tue, 28 July 2009 at 7:29 AM

Well,
It is a week away and I looked it up on Google Earth to take a look. It is a big place.
Have to figure out the correct building. There is so many there.
I can not figure out where to park. Hope parking is not expensive. LOL
I heading down Interstate 10 all the way there. I almost takes me to it. Have to make the correct exit somewhere around a few miles before it. LOL.
Still waiting in my Truck. Smiles

Hawkins-GraFX ( ) posted Tue, 28 July 2009 at 8:57 AM

Hi Lakotariver,

Just stop into their booth and let them know you are a long time user of the SW and had a few questions. See if the person your chatting with can point you to someone in the booth that might be able to assist.

My friend Rick is an instructor at Nossi school so he might be able to assist.
He will be giving demos in the eOn booth.

I hope you have a fantastic time!
Clint

Lakotariver ( ) posted Mon, 03 August 2009 at 7:05 AM

Quick question,
Do a lot of people take their laptops to SigGraph? Is there a reason to take them?
WOW, Tomorrow at about 4 in the morning I am taking off for New Orleans. I am so excited about this. Sure wish Jumpstartme2 could ride along. Sure would be fun to have a fellow artist to chat with. Smiles to you all.

Hawkins-GraFX ( ) posted Mon, 03 August 2009 at 8:39 AM

Yes, There have always been a lot of laptops at SigGraph. I think they have free wireless. But I'm not 100% sure its free.

Lakotariver ( ) posted Mon, 03 August 2009 at 8:48 AM

Well, I dont think I will take mine. It is a 17 inch and kind of heavy. Dont want to have to carry it around with me all day. Sure wont leave it in my Truck. Need to gas up the truck. Put together snacks and drinks for the drive. Right now it is going on. Really want to leave now. LOL Oh well, This time tomorrow I should almost me there. Hurray!

Lakotariver ( ) posted Tue, 04 August 2009 at 7:32 PM · edited Tue, 04 August 2009 at 7:38 PM

Im Back from SigGraph. WOW.
While I was there. I learned from SmithMicro that Poser 8 has been released that very day. First place I went was the the Renderosity Booth to Thank them. They were so busy when I showed up so I dropped off the cookies I brought for them and thought I would come back a little later and I went out to explore. I was in Render Heaven. I got a look at E-ON's new Vue 8 and there is some wonderful surprises instore for everyone. Anyway. I am very tired and need a little rest. Driving to New Orleans from Houston and back in one day is a bit of a drive. I will post some more pictures a little later.
Oh Clint. Matt at E-ON says hello. I could not find Rick or Beth while I was there. The Gang from GeekatPlay was doing presentations while I was there. They are really Experts with the program. I did meet Christie K while I was there.
Anyway,
Who are there People hanging out at the Renderosity Booth?
LOL, Just Joking

http://s253.photobucket.com/albums/hh47/Lakotafeather/SigGraph%202009/

Hawkins-GraFX ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 8:48 AM

Fantastic to hear you had a good time.

Glad you made it to the eOn booth. Matts a good guy.  :)

Thanks for the pics....Deb and Jen are looking good as always!!

Lakotariver ( ) posted Wed, 05 August 2009 at 12:58 PM · edited Wed, 05 August 2009 at 1:01 PM

Quote - Fantastic to hear you had a good time.

Glad you made it to the eOn booth. Matts a good guy.  :)

Thanks for the pics....Deb and Jen are looking good as always!!

They were so busy when I arrived. I just dropped off the Cookies I picked up for them and thought I would come back once things slowed down. Jennifer gave me a Rendo Shirt. Hurray. I never saw Kenny. I asked about him but everyone thought he must have been out on the floor covering the events. The other Gentleman that was working with them. I never got to meet. He was always with someone talking with them. I have no idea who he was. I picked up so many goodies. More than what my Pic shows. Even got a Frisbee from someone. Surprised I did not see them sailing around the convention. I spent much of my Time at the E-ON booth and SmithMicro booth looking over the new software. Spent a bit of time at Nvidia too. I really wish I could have stayed longer. Next time I will. I just had to get back to Houston because I had to work the next day. Took 5 1/2 hours one way. I arrived around 10 oclock in the morning and things were really starting to pick up. I feel bad that you had to miss it. You know all the fun they are. I was in a Render Heaven

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.