Fri, Jun 14, 6:24 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 10 1:46 am)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: removing background

raymir ( ) posted Mon, 17 March 2008 at 10:26 AM · edited Sat, 04 November 2023 at 6:09 AM

anybody knows a good tutorial on how to remove a background on a pic?... i seen a few tutorials but im wondering if you guys have an easy and effective way to do it.. thanks in advanced

jerr3d ( ) posted Mon, 17 March 2008 at 5:14 PM

what is it a picture of and how detailed is the subject you want to keep?

thundering1 ( ) posted Mon, 17 March 2008 at 8:46 PM

Post the pic - we'll see what we can come up with.
-Lew ;-)

bonestructure ( ) posted Tue, 18 March 2008 at 5:17 AM

I just use the lasso tool to cut away everything I don't want. You have to zoom in a lot to get a final cut around whatever you want to save. If you're going to paste whatever you've saved into another picture, you should slightly blur the edges just to soften them so as to look more natural. Then adjust color and all that jazz to make it fit.

Talent is God's gift to you. Using it is your gift to God.

FrozenWaltDisney ( ) posted Thu, 20 March 2008 at 12:29 AM · edited Thu, 20 March 2008 at 12:29 AM

Honestly make a layer mask and color in what you don't want in black. That way if you screw up you can always color it back in with white.

Layer masks work that black will not like the picture threw, and white will. Try it :)

thundering1 ( ) posted Thu, 20 March 2008 at 8:54 AM

Well, having not seen the image, I'm gonna take a shot at it.

Use the Lasso Tool to select the "general" unwanted areas and Delete them.

Make a Layer Mask and paint black to hide what you don't want to see - that way you can also vary the softness/hardness of the brush depending on what is in focus and what is not.
For edges that go a long way that are smooth and rounded (think of the side of a watchface, coffee cup, hood of a car, etc.) use the Path Tool to create a spline that matches the curve, use that selection (feather .5 pixels for sharp edges, or it will be TOO sharp - otherwise feather to taste if it's soft) and paint black (or just fill) to hide/show what you do/don't want to be seen.

Hope this helps-
-Lew ;-)

lorddarq ( ) posted Sun, 23 March 2008 at 8:37 PM

there are several good masking techniques.But I generally use the pen-tool technique.Outline the subject , then go to path>make selection.Presto ! You could go and use more elaborate methods for subjects with hair, but I believe it's a waste of time, since details will get lost anyway.The pen tool ensures flexible usage and if you have difficult areas like hair, you can trick them out by using the smudge tool at 80-90% strength and 900 fading.Hope this helps !

jfike ( ) posted Wed, 26 March 2008 at 6:02 PM

Another alternative is to use a plug-in.  I like Vertus Fluid Mask 3 (  http://www.vertustech.com/  ). However, these are not free and I would only recommend them if you are doing a lot of this type of image processing.

lorddarq ( ) posted Wed, 26 March 2008 at 8:25 PM

actually, using the good-ol pen si way faster.... I recommend it if your hands are shaky or you are bound to make many mistakes (like I tend to). Cheers ! :) those plugins cost cash and there's no reason to use an external plug if you already paid a load of cash on PS.Why not use the feature you spent 100 bucks on, rather than buying another one for 50.I just don;t get it ! 

Margana ( ) posted Thu, 27 March 2008 at 1:16 AM

Personally, I never use selection tools.  For me, they always end up needing the same amount of work / adjustment / correction as if I had simply used a layer mask.  So I'm with FrozenWaltDisney on this.

I've heard Vertus mask  is good, especially if you're dealing with hair, but I haven't tried it myself.

Perhaps, as some have suggested, you could be more specific as to what type of image you are working on?

Marlene <")

Marlene S. Piskin Photography
My Blog

"A new study shows that licking the sweat off a frog can cure depression. The down side is, the minute you stop licking, the frog gets depressed again." - Jay Leno

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.