Fri, Jun 14, 9:29 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Photoshop

Welcome to the Photoshop Forum

Forum Moderators: Wolfenshire, Deenamic Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Photoshop F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 10 1:46 am)

Our mission is to provide an open community and unique environment where anyone interested in learning more about Adobe Photoshop can share their experience and knowledge, post their work for review and critique by their peers, and learn new techniques while developing the skills that allow each individual to realize their own unique artistic vision. We do not limit this forum to any style of work, and we strongly encourage people of all levels and interests to participate.

Are you up to the challenge??
Sharpen your Photoshop skill with this monthly challenge...

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: CS3 or CS3 Extended

McKay001 ( ) posted Sat, 06 October 2007 at 12:10 PM · edited Fri, 14 June 2024 at 7:55 AM

Hi,

I am interested in making use of photoshop brushes. My work is done in Cararra 6 Pro, so I am working with 3D models in sci-fi and fantasy genres. I desire to add smoke, plasma, and other fx elements to scenes for 2D still output. At present, I am leaning towards composite layering...

With all of that said, which version of Photoshop would best suit my needs...CS3 or CS3 Extended?

I have limited experience with Paint Shop Pro but find that I really need Photoshop for the ability to work with PSDs...which for some reason I am either unable to figure out how Paint Shop does or it doesn't support that feature.

Anyway...I am very interested in hearing what people have to say in regards to CS3 or CS3 Extended.

Thanks...

John

retrocity ( ) posted Sun, 07 October 2007 at 9:01 AM

hi john, not sure if anyones already said this yet but welcome to the forum :)

i use CS3 extended @ the office but haven't really pushed the 3D aspect of it yet so i can't offer alot of pointers but i am very pleased adobe is seeing the need to integrate some of these types of feature sets into PS.

i only hope there doesn't become too many different flavours of PS :)
*(it's hard enough to keep up with the different ways photoshop can be used, and everyones unique needs!!!)

:) retrocity

thundering1 ( ) posted Sun, 07 October 2007 at 12:21 PM

Hi McKay001-
Given that you don't seem to want to do anything with video, and anything with the custom texturing of 3D models in Photoshop (though that may come later - it sounds like you just want to add to the images at this point), I would suggest regular CS3.

Given that you're working to add to 3D images, the thought of working on the textures of the models themselves might be tempting, but it's still a bit more difficult to really do in actual practice (I have CS3E and it's still a bit of a headache for me).

Doing everything you laid out in your original description can easily be done in regular CS3. And you'll save a few bucks as well, so not a bad deal, really.

Hope that helps - good luck-
-Lew ;-)

SouthBeachPhoto ( ) posted Sun, 07 October 2007 at 6:51 PM

What thundering1 said.  And by the way, Paint Shop Pro will read and write PSD files.

spedler ( ) posted Mon, 08 October 2007 at 2:46 AM

Attached Link: http://www.wondertouch.com/

For the smoke, plasma etc. effects take a look at Particle Illusion. Easily the best way to add these kinds of effects in 2D post.

Steve

McKay001 ( ) posted Mon, 08 October 2007 at 8:13 AM

Thanks for all the responses and welcoming me to the forums, I am glad to be here!

SouthBeachPhoto, I wish I could figure out how to convince Paint Shop Pro (I am using version 8) to play along with PSD (I don't know why I can't figure out).

Spedler, Particle Illusion looks pretty cool. Would you say that it is more user friendly than trying to add effects than using Photoshop brushes?

BTW...sorry it took me so long to reply, relatives are visiting and so I have been running around.

Thanks!

John

spedler ( ) posted Mon, 08 October 2007 at 2:38 PM

I don't know about more user-friendly... there's a learning curve to it that is steeper than using brushes. But the effects you can get would be very difficult to achieve by painting by hand.

Steve

thundering1 ( ) posted Mon, 08 October 2007 at 4:15 PM

Particle Illusions has always fascinated me. While I realize there's a $99 version, I know I'd wanna spend the money on the $400 version but I can't justify the expense right now.

I know, "why doesn't the dope get the $99 version then..?" I klnow, I know... I just don't wanna buy it twice, even though I could start making money with it right NOW...

The debate in my head continues...

Thanks Spedler-
-Lew ;-)

deci6el ( ) posted Mon, 08 October 2007 at 9:05 PM

Attached Link: Some of my smoke

Cool link on "Particle Illusion", I hadn't seen that one. I've been using Trapcode's Particular as a plug-in in After Effects for doing smoke on still images. While the images are static they are part of a sequence in a strip so it was good to be able to animate the smoke in time and place the particles in sequential images for optimum continuity. While painting each frame with that kind of consistancy might be time consuming, note that any particle system also has a certain overhead trying to wrangle the particles to just how you want them to behave. Here's an example of my use of Particular.

spedler ( ) posted Tue, 09 October 2007 at 11:51 AM

No problem, Lew.

Glad to be of help :-)

Steve

McKay001 ( ) posted Wed, 10 October 2007 at 12:34 AM

Deci6el,

That is an excellent piece of art! Exactly the type of ultra cool art that I want to do!!!

So...I can see the huge benefit that an fx program like Particle Illusion or Trapcode's Particular can provide.

Is the moral of the story...don't play with photoshop brushes when you can use fx programs?

Is there any benefit in even getting CS3???

Well beyond the fact that I can't seem to get Paint Shop Pro to deal with PSD layers. 8-(

John

thundering1 ( ) posted Wed, 10 October 2007 at 7:00 AM

Well, there's a trick to that question...

Yes, the plug-ins or FX programs will add elements you're looking for.
BUT - they can't do all the corrections and extensive compositing of multiple images/renders/passes that Photoshop can.

Yes, this is adding up to a LOT of money. The Trapcode plugin works with After Effects - which is $1,000. Adobe has dropped the $600 version from their lineup (there used to be 2 flavors - Standard and Professional. Many people got the Standard version so they could use plugins like that, as well as have the basic motion graphics and compositing capabilities.

I'd still get Photoshop as a base application - you can find FX plugins for Photoshop as well - and there IS a $99 version of Particle Illlusions for your smoke and flame FX.
Good luck-
-Lew ;-)

deci6el ( ) posted Thu, 11 October 2007 at 11:36 PM

I used to think that After Effects was just for animating but have found it very useful doing my strip, which I guess is just a staccato animation. No doubt, AE is a big ticket item. I'm not sure that i agree with thundering1 that AE won't let you do the "extensive compositing of multiple images/renders/passes that Photoshop can". Most of the filters in AE are from Photoshop and then a "skad" more from other sources. (That's a full skad, btw). But then, I'm also only speaking from a Photoshop 7 POV, I've never stepped inside CS. If you're making still images, you could easily keep a lot of that cash and make some custom brushes in Photoshop. I've also been a big fan of Painter and it's Image Hose. All the Liquid Stealth pics were posted in Photoshop with occasional quick trips to AE and/or Painter.

thundering1 ( ) posted Fri, 12 October 2007 at 8:50 AM

Yeah, if you can render everything with alphas, you can composite them in AE, but when I'm referring to multiple images, I'm mostly talking about custom masking, cutting and pasting - stuff that would just be a nightmare in AE that PS handles with ease.

You can DO it in AE, but it'll take you forever in comparison.
Good luck-
-Lew ;-)

Stephi ( ) posted Sat, 17 November 2007 at 8:10 AM

You might want to download the trial version of the current version of Paint Shop Pro as it supports psd files.

I used PSP and PhotoImpact extensively before getting CS2 and learned a great deal from them that has been useful in learning CS2.

Stephanie

jfike ( ) posted Mon, 19 November 2007 at 5:50 PM

I have a somewhat similar question and thought instead of starting a new thread, I'd place it here.
I have CS3 and wasn't interested in Extended at the time, but now I'd like to upgrade to  Extended.  Does anyone know if there's such a thing as a CS3 to CS3 Extended upgrade?

I searched the Adobe site but didn't see anything .and they (Adobe) don't seem to like Email contacts.

thundering1 ( ) posted Mon, 19 November 2007 at 6:04 PM

Oddly, I don't think there's a way to "sidegrade" to Extended...
I thought of just getting the regular version thinking I would do that but couldn't find a way to sidegrade - so I wen ahead and got Extended because I also do a lot of video work.

May as well...

If you have a way to texture your models (I think UV Unwrapper is free...?), and have general video software, do you need Extended?

whbos ( ) posted Mon, 03 December 2007 at 2:36 AM

With a bit of searching, I found that you can upgrade from Photoshop 7, CS, CS2, and CS3.  From CS3, the upgrade price shows as $349.00 (US).  Seems a little expensive for a sidegrade especially if you already have PS CS3 Standard.  This is the price for PS 7, CS, CS2 as well.

I only have the standard PS CS3 and upgraded from PS7 for $200.  I was going to get the extended, but didn't know how useful it would be since I use Photoshop mainly for video work (titles, stills), and postwork of stills.

Poser 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, Pro 2014, 11, 11 Pro

jfike ( ) posted Mon, 03 December 2007 at 9:06 AM

Thanks!  Yes, that's a bit much for a sidegrade, since I have CS3.   At the time I upgraded to CS3, I wasn't aware that the was going to be a Lightwave plugin for PS Extended, so I passed.  Don't see how Adobe can expect to sell CS3 to Extended sidegrades a that price, especially when probably a small number of user's like myself would be interested.

Guess I'll wait for the next version. 

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.