Mon, Jun 17, 5:22 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Poser - OFFICIAL

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 16 8:21 pm)

Subject: Texture question

arrowhead42 ( ) posted Mon, 02 July 2007 at 8:14 AM · edited Mon, 17 June 2024 at 2:49 AM

file_381639.gif

Hey there folks, how are y'all doing? I have a question that is stumping me, and I'm hoping for some help with it. I'm using Mike 2 to create a superhero picture, and typical of superheroes, his musculature is a bit over the top, which is exactly how I want it to look (it's how I'd like to look, too!). I created his costume in a simple way; I opened up one of my Mike 2 body textures, and simply painted it red, and placed the logo on the center of his chest. Then I applied the texture and got the skin-tight, spandex look I wanted.... but it came with an unexpected effect. The logo conforms to his chest so much that it "sinks" into the folds between the muscles on his chest, and looks all distorted (please see the picture to see what I'm talking about). I like the way the rest of him is turning out, though. So my question is this: I want to keep him all muscled up, but how can I do that, and make the logo ly flat across his chest? If you've seen the movie "Superman Returns", his logo looks as though it's a sculpted piece attached to his costume, rather than part of the fabric of his costume. I'd like to obtain that kind of look, but without a 3D model of the logo that I could parent to his chest, I don't know if it's possible. Anyone have any thoughts?

Arrowhead

Here's the link to my freebies:   https://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/?uid=493127

"I can't stand it when people pointlessly repeat themselves. I can't stand it. I really can't!!"

SamTherapy ( ) posted Mon, 02 July 2007 at 8:26 AM

If you're using P5 or above you could use a bump and/or displacement map to raise the logo. P4 bumpmapping is rather bad so it wouldn't be very effective.

An alternate method - and one which I used for my Batman character - is to parent a flattened cylinder to the model's chest. You'd have to match up the texture with the outer edges of the lightning streak but it would get you in the ballpark, at least.

You can also use the "Chest Spandex" morph on Mike to get rid of the worst of his pec folds.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

arrowhead42 ( ) posted Mon, 02 July 2007 at 9:05 AM

okay, those all sound like good ideas. I'd like to try them all out to see which one works best. But.... How do I do the one you mentioned with bump or displacement maps? I have Poser 5, so that's not an issue, but could you walk me thru the steps, please? 
Thanks

Here's the link to my freebies:   https://www.renderosity.com/mod/freestuff/?uid=493127

"I can't stand it when people pointlessly repeat themselves. I can't stand it. I really can't!!"

vincebagna ( ) posted Mon, 02 July 2007 at 9:11 AM

For displacement map, you have to paint a black map with only your logo shape white. Then, attach this map to the displacement node and play with the values. The same for bump map.

My Store

arrowhead42 ( ) posted Mon, 02 July 2007 at 11:42 AM

I just want to make sure I'm following this right, because I'm writing this on a computer at work. My Poser computer is in another building.
I guess my question is, if I make a displacement map and attach it to the displacement node, how will Poser know on what part of the body to place the logo? I mean I don't want to end up with his logo on his hip or something. Is it the act of messing with the values on the displacement node, that tells Poser where to place the logo?

arrowhead42 ( ) posted Mon, 02 July 2007 at 11:47 AM

I just want to make sure I'm following this right, because I'm writing this on a computer at work. My Poser computer is in another building.
I guess my question is, if I make a displacement map and attach it to the displacement node, how will Poser know on what part of the body to place the logo? This is a Mike 2 figure and when I apply textures, the options of where to apply them are things like "skin body" and "fingernails". I mean I don't want to end up with his logo on his hip or something. Is it the act of messing with the values on the displacement node, that tells Poser where to place the logo?
Also, according to Vincebagna, the displacement map must be a white logo on a black background. Does that mean no colors at all in the logo?

vincebagna ( ) posted Mon, 02 July 2007 at 1:31 PM

You have to see how many body parts are just under the logo, and put the displacement map for the proper body parts materials. Looking at your pic, i guess it will be the chast, and both collar parts. But you must verify by yourself.

My Store

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Mon, 02 July 2007 at 1:33 PM

Quote - I guess my question is, if I make a displacement map and attach it to the displacement node, how will Poser know on what part of the body to place the logo?

The figure's UV-mapping determines where the logo will appear, just like the texture map.

Quote - Is it the act of messing with the values on the displacement node, that tells Poser where to place the logo?

The displacement value represents the strength of the displacement effect, or how far it'll extrude from the surface.

Quote - Also, according to Vincebagna, the displacement map must be a white logo on a black background. Does that mean no colors at all in the logo?

You may use colours if you wish, but as far as I know, the displacement channel will take its information only from the intensity (brightness) of the image map.

vincebagna ( ) posted Mon, 02 July 2007 at 1:39 PM

*Quote - "I guess my question is, if I make a displacement map and attach it to the displacement node, how will Poser know on what part of the body to place the logo?"
*You take the same map than the coloured one, but turn the red into black, and the whole logo into white. You may wish to keep the yellow part slightly "above" the disk, by tainted the disk into grey and the yellow arrow into white. Displacement acts within the white and black info, so the grey is medium displacement. You can also play with different grey tones.

My Store

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.