Sun, Jun 2, 9:10 AM CDT

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 02 7:04 am)

Subject: ATTENTION TRIPOD USERS!!

PANdaRUS ( ) posted Tue, 24 August 1999 at 7:57 AM · edited Tue, 28 May 2024 at 7:27 AM

Attached Link: http://members.tripod.com/~PANdeRUS/gunpropthumb.jpg

I'm pretty sure I'm not alone in this one but I'll post and see anyways. I have a website hosted at Tripod. Lately I've been noticing that whenever I post an image, it tends to show up as a broken link for some, while others can view it just fine. At first I thought I was posting bad links but when I doubled and tripled my checks as to the URLs I was posting I knew it was NOT me. I then noticed a few other people at the forum had posted and their thumbnails had shown up broken as well. The connection? THEY are hosted by TRIPOD. I did find that if you RIGHT click on the image it will show you a TRIPOD page basically telling you to click on a link that will THEN show your image correctly. By hitting back you can then see your image. If anyone knows of a reason why this is happening please post! I'm sure I'm not the only one and there is nothing more frustrating than wanting to show your stuff and not being able to as I'm sure most XOOM members can agree with me on this! PAN~ (THE TRUTH IS OUT THERE!)

TazTiger ( ) posted Tue, 24 August 1999 at 8:21 AM

I don't think it's as simple as that. I can get to Yahoo's page that intercepts your link but cannot get to see the image. Seems to me that there is one URL pointing to 2 resources (yahoo's interceptor and your image). Proxy servers will cache the first and keep resupplying that. So, when I click on the link on yahoo's interceptor, I just get that page back again. Same if I reload. I guess if you want everyone to be able to see your work, you'll have to supply a link not to an image, but to a HTML page containing the image. regards TazTiger

Boni ( ) posted Tue, 24 August 1999 at 8:58 AM

I found if you right click and show the URL, highlight and copy it, then pste it into your address line, then click on it, it will come up. But who wants to do all of that all the time. Maybe we should contact Tripod and complain. Just a thought. Boni

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

Dave_L ( ) posted Tue, 24 August 1999 at 9:11 AM

Here's some info regarding Tripod's new policy regarding images. It was posted on the ringmasters mailing list. From: Tripod Membership Services Sent: Thursday, August 19, 1999 8:38 AM Subject: Re: Images (KMM1516279C0KM) Hello K., As of August 18th, Tripod has instituted an interstitial page to help us stem the burgeoning problem of remote loading from the Tripod members servers to other services. Remote loading is a huge cost to Tripod and interferes with our ability to provide free web space for our members. Tripod accounts are for use in the creation of web pages, not as storage space for images, zip files, sounds, etc. to be loaded on other services. This is clearly stated in our terms of service. Tripod Member Web Page and Member Conduct Guidelines The following is a non-exclusive list of actions and content that are prohibited on the Site. Tripod may cancel any Membership associated with such actions or content or may remove any associated Member Web Page with or without prior notice, in its sole discretion. i) Use of a Member Web Page as storage for remote loading, or as a door or signpost to another home page. It costs huge amounts of money to host free web pages, and when our servers are taxed with no pageviews (i.e. remote-loading on e-bay and webtv emails) we are simply throwing money away. Have a good day! :) Michael Marcella Membership Services Tripod, Inc. / A Division of Lycos

PANdaRUS ( ) posted Tue, 24 August 1999 at 10:04 AM

@$#%!! MADNESS! That's it I'm going to MAKE my own server! PAN~

PANdaRUS ( ) posted Tue, 24 August 1999 at 10:07 AM

You know what this means? Eventually others will follow suit...until no one will be able to post here! Then we will be forced to have others visit our websites to simply see our stuff...which will mean people LEAVING the safety of the forum and wandering about the internet aimlessly! PEOPLE this is OUR Y2K~ WE NEED TO FIGURE OUT A SOLUTION TO THIS AND SOON BEFORE IT AFFECTS US ALL! AHHHHHHH!!! Sorry I tend to get a bit rattled when things like this happen...he he... PAN~ FIGHT DA POWER!

picnic ( ) posted Tue, 24 August 1999 at 11:09 AM

Now, is this just for viewing it in the forum or for funstuff? I don't even have a web page, so I simply save my image as a .jpeg and load it here. If I want to put something in Funstuff then I will finally (VBG) be forced to get a page together or just upload to my local server (where I have a bit of room that I've never used). Diane

PANdaRUS ( ) posted Tue, 24 August 1999 at 11:33 AM

Hmm..you've got a local server? How'd you set it up? I'm not sure how to set stuff up so it could be read on the web from a local server...I know I've got access to one..but sadly am not sure if I know HOW to do it. PAN~

picnic ( ) posted Tue, 24 August 1999 at 12:13 PM

No, I don't HAVE one. My ISP is a local (and has been around for quite awhile-started as a BBS) and I have a bit of web space available when I ever get around to using it, though certainly not for an extensive site. If you want to upload your image to the forum just for us to see here (and not to Funstuff), just go to new message, browse for your .jpeg and attach it. Diane

grey ( ) posted Tue, 24 August 1999 at 11:21 PM

So if you're on Tripod, you'll probably have to move to a different site...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.