Mon, Jun 3, 3:37 AM CDT

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 02 9:34 pm)

Subject: Darth Vader - I've Searched and Searched to no avail....

blondeheroine ( ) posted Tue, 23 March 2004 at 3:44 PM · edited Mon, 27 May 2024 at 9:11 PM

I've spent a few good hours searching for a good Poser ready Vader. I found one, but the "inside" of the helmet seems to be transparent, allowing the background to show where it shouldn't. Same for the mouth right under the breathing mechanism. (For reference, the model I was using was the one from the free stuff file Luke vs. Vader) I did a search through the forums, but most of the links were dead (some of the posts went back to 01). Okay, long story short, does anyone know where to find a good Poser ready Vader? I've found one for MAX (by Nick Pappas) that's excellent - only thing is the joints aren't connected and it's not ready for animation (which is what I want it for). begs on knees for help Does anyone know where Vader's hiding these days? I mean, I know he's probably a bit miffed about the whole Prequel thing, but... ;) Thanks for anyone's help in advance... Damsel in distress signing out...

LeeMoon ( ) posted Tue, 23 March 2004 at 5:11 PM

I haven't downloaded the one from 3D Gladiators and don't know if it's the same one you already have. Try their files section under Star Wars... http://www.3dgladiators.com/ Hope you find Vader! :) Lee

blondeheroine ( ) posted Tue, 23 March 2004 at 5:32 PM

Hi Lee! Yup. The one from 3dgladiators seems to be the same as the one in the Luke vs. Vader file on "Free Stuff" (at least as far as I can tell. If the helmet didn't show up as transparent in the back, it'd be great, but I can't seem to solve that problem. :) Thanks!

JHoagland ( ) posted Tue, 23 March 2004 at 6:24 PM

Attached Link: http://www.vanishingpoint.biz/freestuff.asp

If you need a Darth Vader lightsaber, stop by Vanishing Point: we have all of Dodger's sabers. And, yes, they're all free... altough you do have to be a member of the site to download the items. But, membership is free also. --John

VanishingPoint... Advanced 3D Modeling Solutions

mateo_sancarlos ( ) posted Tue, 23 March 2004 at 6:53 PM

It might show thru the backfaces when in preview mode, but it should render o.k. Too bad Poser doesn't have a "Smart Backfaces" command like some other 3D apps. One trick to handle backfaces is to add thickness to the surfaces in your 3D modeller.

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Tue, 23 March 2004 at 7:00 PM

No, it doesn't render okay. There is no backplate for WarriorDL's helmet, just the front mask and the samurai hood-thingy.

I'd recommend visiting Sci-Fi 3D and downloading one of the many fine Vader figures available there in .3ds format, in order to salvage the helmet, but some assembly would be required.

All of the Vader files import into Poser with the mask portion of the helmet offset to the left. However, you could use the grouping tool to select and spawn new props for both helmet and mask, then move the pieces into alignment.

Mason ( ) posted Tue, 23 March 2004 at 7:48 PM

You could use the grouping tool and reverse the normals on the helmet. That would work as well.

blondeheroine ( ) posted Tue, 23 March 2004 at 8:13 PM

Thanks everyone for replying!

Indeed, the model that I was admiring in .3ds format was the one from Sci-Fi 3d. It's perfect and I did import it as a .3ds file and it was just exactly as you specified, Little Dragon. :)

I took the model into the setup room and saw that it had imported as one large object instead of the broken pieces as it was originally. So, here's my question because this is the first time I've ever had to work with bones in the Setup room - how do I break the object up once I am in the setup room?

Also, if I ever get this working, John, I'll definitely be checking out your sabres. :)

Thanks you guys for all the help! :D

Little_Dragon ( ) posted Tue, 23 March 2004 at 9:19 PM

file_103448.jpg

>> *how do I break the object up once I am in the setup room?*

You use the grouping tool. Once you've set up your bones, open the grouping tool and click the AutoGroup button. This will create new groups for the mesh, automatically assigning mesh elements to the nearest bones. Unfortunately, it's far from perfect, and you'll likely spend a great deal of time reassigning polys from one group to another.

Remember to use the weld function on each body part after you've finished grouping.

PheonixRising ( ) posted Wed, 24 March 2004 at 1:26 AM

file_103449.jpg

If you use Photoshop this little tutorial is handy for Lightsabres -Anton

-Anton, creator of ApolloMaximus: 32,000+ downloads since 3-13-07
"Conviction without truth is denial; Denial in the face of truth is concealment."

NEW The Poser FaceInterMixer

numanoid ( ) posted Wed, 24 March 2004 at 1:31 AM

Pretty neat, but how do you animate that then, lol. (Numanoid wanders off thinking of cool way to make laser blase in Poser that can be animated and look exactly like that. As though he doesn't have enough to do already.)

PheonixRising ( ) posted Wed, 24 March 2004 at 7:02 AM

file_103450.jpg

Well if you have the "Magik" product I made and sold toDaz, you can crisscross just two similar particles and then used similar Trans and texture. -Anton

"Conviction without truth is denial; Denial in the face of truth is concealment."

PheonixRising ( ) posted Wed, 24 March 2004 at 7:03 AM

PS: The texture and trans didn't fade for the end tip but you get the idea.

numanoid ( ) posted Wed, 24 March 2004 at 6:20 PM

Nope, I have a better idea, give me a few days. I'll make a really cool light saber that works. Really works. Hmmmm..........

PheonixRising ( ) posted Thu, 25 March 2004 at 5:08 AM

Well after a statement like that you had better. :)

numanoid ( ) posted Thu, 25 March 2004 at 11:42 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains violence

file_103451.jpg

Just a quick test. Too busy with the Aliens stuff to do this properly. Will come back to it later. But at least I know it works, lol.

numanoid ( ) posted Thu, 25 March 2004 at 11:47 PM

file_103452.jpg

No textures or transmaps. Works in animations, but not that cool in still renders, your way is better for still renders.

PheonixRising ( ) posted Fri, 26 March 2004 at 5:40 AM

show me the tip of your sabre. I want to see how the end came out.

numanoid ( ) posted Sat, 27 March 2004 at 8:22 PM

file_103453.jpg

Hi Anton,

Sorry, I didn't realize the tip wasn't showing, was in a big rush. This is a very simple low res version of the idea I have got. I made it out of primitives, a half ball and a morphing cylinder. I need to make a proper "sheath" that has thickening at the bottom and tapers towards the tip, so that the glow is uniform throughout the blade section.

When I finish the Aliens stuff I will make a decent hi-res version of it and tweak it a bit to fit any lightsabre and to make the colours easily changable from red, to blue, to purple or whatever. The only advantage my way has got is for animations, the lengthening looks a better better in an animation than if you use the transmap and texture method, and the colours are easier to change than having to redo a texture map. For still renders I still prefer the method you showed above, it has the blurring effect I can't achieve by this method, but for animations I prefer this method. By setting the motion blur you can get some really nice Star Wars type light arcs.

I will get back to this. I have two weeks to finish all the Aliens stuff and I don't think I will get it finished, so I have no time to do this properly now.

SteveJax ( ) posted Sat, 27 March 2004 at 10:03 PM

Very nice effect and Ouch! :) I'm assuming Dork is insured for loss of limbs? Hehehe....

byAnton ( ) posted Fri, 14 April 2006 at 9:48 AM

Bookmarking some of my old tutorials

AKtutorialbookmark

-Anton, creator of Apollo Maximus

Over 100,000 Downloads....

Bobasaur ( ) posted Fri, 14 April 2006 at 1:38 PM

file_338208.jpg

"Does anyone know where Vader's hiding these days? I mean, I know he's probably a bit miffed about the whole Prequel thing, but... ;)"(manually entered break) (manually entered break) Darth is touring with Ozzfest this year.

Before they made me they broke the mold!
http://home.roadrunner.com/~kflach/

TrekkieGrrrl ( ) posted Fri, 14 April 2006 at 2:12 PM

EllPro has made a gorgeous Darth Vader character. It's available at raunchyminds dot com (warning, that is an adult site)

FREEBIES! | My Gallery | My Store | My FB | Tumblr |
You just can't put the words "Poserites" and "happy" in the same sentence - didn't you know that? LaurieA
  Using Poser since 2002. Currently at Version 11.1 - Win 10.

JHoagland ( ) posted Sat, 15 April 2006 at 10:05 AM

Attached Link: http://www.vanishingpoint.biz/freestuff.asp?ClassificationID=1

The "criss-cross" prop technique is also used in some of Dodger's lightsabers... and best of all, they're free!   ernyoka- EllPro's Darth Vader is also available at Vanishing Point... and we're not an adult site. In fact, we're "family-friendly"- show VP to your grandmother or your five-year old nephew. :)   --John

VanishingPoint... Advanced 3D Modeling Solutions

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.