Red Stick International Animation Festival Begins This Week
April 14, 2008 5:37 pm
The festival focuses on the latest trends in animation, video game design and other forms of digital art. The festival features film screenings, lectures, and workshops. Lectures will reach all aspects of animation from the traditional 2D all the way to the more modern 3D applications such as 3DS Max and Maya. For the more professional animator, two former Disney animators - Dan Lund and Tony West - will be conducting a portfolio review for up to 12 participants. It will be a wonderful opportunity to get advice from professionals who have been at the top of the animation field.
Among some of the speakers at this year's festival:
- Curtis Jobling: Designer of the hit television show
Bob the Builder
- Barbara Slade: Executive with Walt Disney Development
- Eric Shaw: Writer for the hit show Spongebob
- Tom Martinek: Visual effects specialist for ILM who is
currently working on the summer blockbuster, Iron Man
- Jonathan Smith: Head of production for TT Games Publishing, the company responsible for the Lego Star Wars video game franchise.
- Andreas Deja: Recipient of Red Stick’s Inaugural Career Achievement Award. Works for Disney Feature Animation and has created some of the most memorable characters you've ever seen including, Jafar from Aladdin, Scar from The Lion King, Roger from Who Framed Roger Rabbit and King Triton from The Little Mermaid. He is also one of only a few animators the Disney Studio has authorized to draw Mickey Mouse.
For those with kids, there will be plenty to do as well. There will be a Cartoon-a-Palooza Saturday morning cartoon festival, which will include an autograph session with Scott Innes - the voice of Scooby-Doo. On Friday night there will be a Princess Ball for the young ladies.
Passes for the event are available at Red Stick's website. You can also check out the full list of speakers as well get the full calendar of events.
The festival runs from Wednesday, April 16th to Saturday, April 19th.