Sat, Jul 27, 4:18 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Bryce

Welcome to the Bryce Forum

Forum Moderators: TheBryster

Bryce F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 26 1:13 pm)

[Gallery]     [Tutorials]

THE PLACE FOR ALL THINGS BRYCE - GOT A PROBLEM? YOU'VE COME TO THE RIGHT PLACE

Subject: Bryce 7 Pro disappoints!

duo ( ) posted Sat, 07 August 2010 at 8:42 AM · edited Fri, 26 July 2024 at 10:51 PM

Attached Link: http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=2093635

file_457223.jpg

**This is my first render with Bryce 7 Pro. Bryce 7 Pro is almost usless and too much bugged.** All the interesting new features require a powerful PC and days of render if you are interested (like me) to do high resolution renders... and because I work as illustrator I don't have days for a render, so Bryce 6 or Bryce 4 are better for me and my work. This render take me 12 hours in Default quality, and it came out almost such as a Bryce 4 Render - I think that with Bryce 4 would take less than 30 minutes... :( It take so many time just because I've used 5 "sphere fill light" to improve the shadows generated by the backlight (great new light effect but bad render time). In Bryce 7 Pro the HDRI illumination does not work properly, and the instacing lab crash the program every time unless you use primitive shapes... by the way: Bryce 7 Pro is used to crash often if you are used to work quickly... :(

Anyway... rendered in Bryce 7, Background in Bryce 4 (it was and old background starfield made by me), composing, effects (engines glare and general glare) and color correction in Photoshop 6.
The original file is 3636x2284 pixels.

Feel free to comment my image in the Rederosity Bryce gallery... :)

Luca Oleastri (a.k.a. duo, a.k.a. Innovari)

TheBryster ( ) posted Sat, 07 August 2010 at 9:13 AM
Forum Moderator

That is a wonderful image! Shame that you find B7 disappointing.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader

All the Woes of a World by Jonathan Icknield aka The Bryster

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

BecSchm ( ) posted Sat, 07 August 2010 at 9:35 AM

For the money, Bryce 7 has some nice new features, but in duo's defense, it is buggy and does seem to require a powerful computer to do some of the same stuff that was already there in version 6.3.  I have not tested it extensively, but so far I have found these problems when running it on my machine (which is not new, but not a complete dinosaur, either):

It is impossible for me to import anything but a fairly low poly item through the DAZStudio bridge.  Any human figure I have tried (even nekked ones with no high poly clothes and hair meshes) will not fully import and cause Bryce to freeze up and stop responding.  In B6.3 I had some problems with the bridge, but overall it functioned much better than in B7 Pro.

I love that I can set the intensity of the sun in the sky lab, but I have found that after I make a few changes to the scene, the sun intensity resets itself to the default 100 setting.

And, with terrains, if I go into the Attributes box and reset ANYTHING (size, boolean functions, "hide", or anything else) the terrain jumps back to its default location and any rotation that was done is also lost and reset to default.

Am I the only one having these issues?

bobbystahr ( ) posted Sat, 07 August 2010 at 10:35 AM

Haven't tested all you mentionBev but c&p'd your post and will test layer...am having lots of crash problems with instancing which after 3 or 4 crashes always drives me screaming back to stable  Terragen 2 which I've yet to crash....sigh...I do so want Bryce to work.. ....

Once in a while I look around,
I see a sound
and try to write it down
Sometimes they come out very soft
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

AnnieD ( ) posted Sat, 07 August 2010 at 2:25 PM

I've been watching the forums here and at Daz and reading about the problems e'one is having with B7 pro. 
I don't have a powerful machine:

Compaq
32 bit OS... Vista Home Premium
AMD Athlon... Dual Core...2.3 GHz
3 g RAM

I bought B7Pro and I've been pushing it to see what I can do.. The picture I just finished has 260 items in it and most were imported from DS.  I've duplicated a bunch of them after import so not every 'single'  item was brought over that is  in the picture.
Included are trees from DS and animals...different kinds of grass..tractor..hay bales..water tank..wooden fence, hay wagon...etc.  Its a barnyard scene.

Nothing ever crashed while I was doing it.  Although Bryce did tell me a couple of times that it was out of memory..so I rebooted and kept on working..but no crashes.   I  usually kept DS open and worked back and forth between it and Bryce.

I do keep things turned off on my PC while I'm working tho...no screensavers..no desktop themes...no monitoring devices other than whats normal for windows..no 'resource hogs' running in the background. 
I do keep my anti-virus and tea timer running and my PC stays connected to the net via DSL most of the time but I don't keep my mail running or my browser unless I need to use it temporarily and then its off again....and yes I've been playing with the lights and cloud stuff too.

Sometimes I think that a lot of problems are caused by all the junk stuff ppl keep running without even realizing how much it takes away from your computer's performance...which also affects your art programs where your resources need to be directed.....    JMO

“For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible.”

[Stuart Chase]

BecSchm ( ) posted Sat, 07 August 2010 at 2:58 PM

I don't have anything running in the background.  I habitually turn everything off.  I can put lots of polys in the scene as long as I import 'em as .obj's.  I'm just saying B7Pro seems to have some issues.  I don't think I will be buying a new 'puter just to run a $30 upgrade when all other programs are still operating just fine on my machine. 

DgerzeeBoy ( ) posted Sat, 07 August 2010 at 5:50 PM · edited Sat, 07 August 2010 at 5:51 PM

I've had a few issues with B7 as well, particularly with antialiasing stalling when you return to a render to finish it off, but that bug has been reported and I'm assuming will be fixed in the first SR. As for importing human figures, clothed or not, I stopped using DS to do so. For me, the DS/Bryce combo has always been a bit of a train wreck in that regard. I export from Poser as an obj and B7 imports flawlessly.

B7 has never crashed or run our of memory for me while rendering large files, but I've found, as duo has, that using the new lights (Fill, Dome, etc) will slow the render down to a virtual stop, and I'm running the program on a dual core iMac, with all background programs off. 

martial ( ) posted Sun, 08 August 2010 at 5:35 AM

Unfortunely Bryce 7 pro also desappoint me because too many  crashes i had with it
May be Daz would be better to continue beta debugging before release it
But for the price i can wait SR1

ThunderStone ( ) posted Sun, 08 August 2010 at 8:40 AM

Has anybody who posted their problems here file a bug report at DAZ?  Go here Bug Report : https://bugs.daz3d.com/main_page.php If you're new, just sign up and file your report. The DAZ developers needs your input in order to squash any bugs that didn't pop up during the beta testing.

===========================================================

Poser: Poser 11.3 ...... Units: inches or meters depends on mood
Bryce: Bryce Pro 7.1.074
Image Editing: Corel Paintshop Pro
Renderer: Superfly, Firefly

9/11/2001: Never forget...

Smiles are contagious... Pass it on!

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday

rashadcarter ( ) posted Sun, 08 August 2010 at 10:34 PM

Duo,
This is not a software issue, but a user issue. You do not yet know how to use the new lights so you should not judge them just yet. Bryce 7 renders much faster than Bryce 6.1 in direct tests. Further, you must be very careful when you compare the render speed of a single point radial to that of a 3d fill, because a 3d fill is made up of several point perspectives, like a group of radials not a single one so they take more time to render. And when it comes it IBL, the illumination is correct. I would say that you have been far too hasty in judging Bryce 7. Once you master all of the new tweaking options, you can get much faster renders.

There are about a dozen new lighting tools, no possible way you have had time to explore what they all do or find the best way of using them. The official documentation is due out soon. You can always ask me to help you use the new lights more efficiently since I wrote the specs for all of these new fetures. You need to work in a new way to take advantage of Bryce 7 the old ways of bryce 6 will not help you much.

Best of luck, and again, I am here to help you with the new lighting, you should take advantage of me.

JeffersonAF ( ) posted Mon, 09 August 2010 at 6:05 AM

I am using Bryce 7, I'm enjoying because it is faster to render, I have done several tests with it, already created some FX and it worked correctly, the only flaw of it is active when the option Textured Shaded, the icons disappear for a while .
My first work with Bryce 7.
Radial Light with flare.
Light glow for Bryce 7 by me.
http://www.renderosity.com/mod/gallery/index.php?image_id=2094060&user_id=533881&member&np

duo ( ) posted Mon, 09 August 2010 at 8:55 AM

@rashadcarter
I've never told that the new lighting tools, such as all the new features of Bryce 7 pro, are software bugs. They are just slow to render. Very very slow.
Bugs are others such as usual crashes on the instacing lab use and/or the many crashes during the normal use of the software. Also the HDRI illumination does not work properly.
Anyway I'm new to Bryce 7 pro, and as you say I must have the time to explore all the new features.

rashadcarter ( ) posted Mon, 09 August 2010 at 6:12 PM

Very nice work Jefferson. Glad to see the lens flare feature used so effectively!!

Duo, I see what you are saying to some degree. But IBL is a perfect example of a feature you state repeatedly as broken that is probably not broken. I am in contact with the IBL master Horo, he literally wrote all of the specs for IBL in Bryce and has tested it to be certain it is consistent. Most likely, there is an error in your use of the IBl feature itself. If you are interested in making it work, please share your thoughts on exactly what you find to be broken so I can explain why it is not broken, and if it is, I can explain how to get around it.

Bryce IBL is not perfect, which is one of the reasons the Domes were introduced. The virtual point implementation sucks,  better way would have been to include IBL into an already established full GI skylight system, this way there are no quality issues to deal with. But Bryce has no full GI skylight system so virtual points was the only way.

What I know is wrong as follows: I once used a uniform white hdr image with 0 dynamic range (or directional bias) to test if the resulting illumination striking a cube would be even on all sides, and I found that IBl failed that test, some faces of the cube at world center received 15% more light than others. This has me convinced that all IBL scenes are wrong to some minor degree, but when using hdri with higher dynamic ranges, the problems are less obvious than with a uniform hdr image. There is a bug report filed on that fyi. Domes by comparison pass the cube test in most situations because they are generally unbiased. That is why I introduced them in the first place.

You say very very slow. Double "verys" is a bit much. I think you just used too high of a quality setting for your lights, or maybe you just used too many lights in general. You said you used 5 3D Fills in this one scene, and each has a minimum quality of 24 or 27, so your render has literally 125 or so virtual radials in it. That is why it took so long to render! The new lights themselves render at the speed they should considering what they are. On speed, the sad truth, is that slower computers do not provide as much return as faster ones when it comes to advanced looking scenes in Bryce.

JeffersonAF ( ) posted Mon, 09 August 2010 at 6:30 PM

Thanks rashadcarter.

airflamesred ( ) posted Mon, 09 August 2010 at 6:34 PM

Duo
 I beleive you have moved from B4 to B7. To my knowledge B4 has been the fastest with regards to render times and as rashad points out its all about getting the settings right. If you want slow just try TG2 and that is very much dependent on various settings. You have plenty of talent and I'm sure you'll work this one out.

mouser ( ) posted Tue, 10 August 2010 at 12:20 AM

I must admit I only get Bryce (if cheap enough) so i can export the Bryce format models to other more reliable and faster applications.

I got the upgrade option at around 20$ so it was a good deal for me but I always found Bryce by itself to be a bit buggy and slow.

Its just one of those apps, if it works on your system its 'What are you talking about it works fine for me' but if it doesnt your in for a world of pain.

rj001 ( ) posted Tue, 10 August 2010 at 3:42 AM

Still using 5.5 :)

Experience is no substitute for blind faith.

http://avalon2000.livejournal.com/ - My Art Blog

dyret ( ) posted Tue, 10 August 2010 at 3:49 AM

I don't think B7 disappoints at all. I LOVE all the new features, and I got PRO for just $29. Makes a lot of sense to me. But it  does bug me off sometimes.  :-)

TheBryster ( ) posted Tue, 10 August 2010 at 7:17 AM
Forum Moderator

Let's face it, Guys! Bryce was never designed to do what we do with it. We've taken Bryce on journey's it was never intended to make. That in itself is fantastic. But there is a price to be paid. Bryce was built to plough fields - not hammer down the freeway like a ferrari. I'm constantly amazed at what folks here do with it, but we shouldn't be surprised if sometimes it still behaves like a tractor.

And in my final hours - I would cling rather to the tattooed hand of kindness - than the unblemished hand of hate...

bobbystahr ( ) posted Tue, 10 August 2010 at 8:06 AM

Quote - but we shouldn't be surprised if sometimes it still behaves like a tractor.

LOL, and Hear Hear!!!

Once in a while I look around,
I see a sound
and try to write it down
Sometimes they come out very soft
Tinkling light sound
The Sun comes up again

dyret ( ) posted Tue, 10 August 2010 at 9:45 AM

Eh... Bryster, could you please tell me how to make Bryce behave like a tractor? I rather like the idea!

dyret ( ) posted Tue, 10 August 2010 at 9:46 AM

Please... :-)

Wombat ( ) posted Mon, 23 August 2010 at 7:13 AM · edited Mon, 23 August 2010 at 7:16 AM

I remember a discussion during the Corel Bryce 5 beta  and the period of ideahunting for the next version (plugins, weatherlab, scriptlanguage and so on). Yes, I was in the betateam for 5 and the conceptteam for 6 and 6 pro. We discussed a new renderer too and the idea to have a openpluginport for renderengines.

It is really time to think about the concepts we had. Actually the slowdown is even on a fast computer so extrem, that Bryce is becoming more and more useless. It needs masochistic feelings sometimes...

Dennis445 ( ) posted Mon, 23 August 2010 at 9:40 PM

its there first run at the new version i'm sure after a couple of patches it will be fine.

Wombat ( ) posted Tue, 24 August 2010 at 2:05 AM

I don't think that the patches will make it really faster...the renderengine itself is the problem.

ThunderStone ( ) posted Tue, 24 August 2010 at 5:28 AM

@Wombat... Among other things....

dyret ( ) posted Tue, 24 August 2010 at 5:29 AM

I actually know a few people who have fast machines who have had quite an increase in rendering speed. Also oneshuldnt be surprisedd if the new features slow the rendering down.

Wombat ( ) posted Tue, 24 August 2010 at 2:34 PM · edited Tue, 24 August 2010 at 2:36 PM

Even with a little faster rendering the rendering of complex scenes is totally slow. What we need is a hybridrenderer, think about the one in Carrara. There are really good opensource renderers in the wild these days. With a pluginconnection they could be used for Bryce too.

Sure the renderer is not the only addition needed, as I said some posts before, but it is one of the most needed I think.

Bryce is not the standard 3d application for me. I allways thought about it as a creativity enhancer, but waiting does enhance nothing but only some bad feelings.

dyret ( ) posted Tue, 24 August 2010 at 3:23 PM

Oh well at least things ARE beeing worked on.
http://forum.daz3d.com/viewtopic.php?t=146344

Jhones ( ) posted Mon, 27 November 2023 at 10:24 PM

I have been working with B7 for quite some time and never had big issues. When I import from Daz to B7, I normally change the materials from Daz to B7, and all works well. I suggest sending each element at the time and changing the materials, and the file can be saved, like for clothing, then sending the figure and keeping it as it is. Finally, you can merge everything and save and u r good. The only real problem is working from figures from G3, G2 figures have low memory problems and pretty much everything can be conserved, even having two figures at the same time in a scene. Everything is known on how to work around it, personally, I had very good results, the problem I'm dealing with is the hair material from G3, G8, and G9 figures, if anyone knows how the hair can look more natural, please let me know. 

mouser ( ) posted Wed, 29 November 2023 at 3:36 PM

Recently purchased Bryce 8.5 on a huge discount, unfortunately the old version will not un install.

This all bodes well. 

ThunderStone ( ) posted Wed, 29 November 2023 at 8:56 PM
mouser posted at 3:36 PM Wed, 29 November 2023 - #4478336

Recently purchased Bryce 8.5 on a huge discount, unfortunately the old version will not un install.

This all bodes well. 

Where did you get 8.5? I thought last version was 7.5? What does 8.5 have that 7.5 doesn't? 

TheBryster ( ) posted Wed, 29 November 2023 at 11:32 PM
Forum Moderator

Mouser. Good luck with that. Bryce 8.5 does not exist.

mouser ( ) posted Sat, 02 December 2023 at 4:42 PM

Sorry wrong version & software, I think I had better stop purchasing last minute discounts I have to many.

Then again it may be the pain killers the dentist gave me.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.