Sun, Jun 2, 2:03 AM CDT

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 01 3:00 am)

Subject: Free stocking+leg shader

Acadia ( ) posted Thu, 08 November 2007 at 11:07 PM · edited Thu, 08 November 2007 at 11:09 PM

file_392941.jpg

Click image for a non-jaggy view.

I had a chance to try this tonight!  I love it soooo much!

This is

Stockings Black
Denier 10
Shearness 70
Glitter 1

This is so easy to manipulate once you have the areas grouped.

Thank you for doing this!

"It is good to see ourselves as others see us. Try as we may, we are never
able to know ourselves fully as we are, especially the evil side of us.
This we can do only if we are not angry with our critics but will take in good
heart whatever they might have to say." - Ghandi

wus ( ) posted Thu, 08 November 2007 at 11:21 PM

file_392944.jpg

thanks a lot, bagginsbill! i hope, jenx will put this one in her tutorials-thread too. this one's just too good to get lost... say, for v3 i use a 2nd v3 with reduced geometry and cr2, a little bit of displacement and a transmap. would you kindy show me how to use your shader with this combination? wait ... i better show you the maps i use. on top is the map i use for Alternate_Specular...

wus ( ) posted Thu, 08 November 2007 at 11:21 PM

file_392946.jpg

this is the transmap...

wus ( ) posted Thu, 08 November 2007 at 11:24 PM

file_392949.jpg

and this is what my material looks like so far... should anybody be interested to get the jpg's in original size pls drop a line so i can send them to you.

EnglishBob ( ) posted Fri, 09 November 2007 at 4:51 AM

Quote - Ok I'm done. You're welcome to add questions or comments.

:thumbupboth: Special thanks for rendering all those dozens of pictures of women's legs, too. That's above and beyond the call of duty. :biggrin:

Gini ( ) posted Fri, 09 November 2007 at 6:45 AM

These really do look fantastic ! Thanks.

" Try and be nice to people, avoid eating fat, read a good book every now and then, get some walking in, and try and live together in peace and harmony with people of all creeds and nations."
-Monty Python

Indoda ( ) posted Fri, 09 November 2007 at 9:26 AM

Thank you BB for sharing your wealth of knowledge of Poser nodes so freely and generously.

The important thing is not to stop questioning.
- Albert Einstein

Indoda

bagginsbill ( ) posted Fri, 09 November 2007 at 9:27 AM

Hey everybody - I love the comments. Thanks.

I'm leaving now on a road trip, college hunting with my daughter. I won't be back online till Sunday.

Talk amongst yourselfs :)

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

momodot ( ) posted Fri, 09 November 2007 at 9:29 AM

Wow!!! This is so cool! Thank you very much :)

SSAfam1 ( ) posted Fri, 09 November 2007 at 9:57 AM

Acadia that should go in your gallery! Simply beautiful!

vilian ( ) posted Fri, 09 November 2007 at 11:54 AM

Just woooow! I was saving like mad - sample pics, node views, explanation on nodes - and now I can try and use this stuff. You're amazing - thank you for sharing the wisdom!

Long live House Mouse ! Check my freebies for Mousie stuff :)    <:3 )~~

slinger ( ) posted Fri, 09 November 2007 at 8:14 PM · edited Fri, 09 November 2007 at 8:15 PM

file_393046.jpg

Click to enlarge.

She got legs....

The liver is evil - It must be punished.

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 10 November 2007 at 10:37 AM

I am so addicted to this technique!! 

barrowlass ( ) posted Sat, 10 November 2007 at 12:32 PM

YAY bagginsbill, NUMERO-UNO ULTIMATE stocking-knitter!!!! :thumbupboth:

My aspiration: to make a decent Poser Render I'm an Oldie, a goldie, but not a miracle worker :-)

Gallery

Freebies

Music Vids

MadameX ( ) posted Sun, 11 November 2007 at 11:12 AM

Being a raw newbie to the Material Room, I attempted this, but wasn't successful.

I did, however, manage to change the leg group on V4, so, tho I was apparently on the right track, I got lost right away. Tried the manual, but I'm afraid it wasn't much help (to me, anyway!). I guess I need to find a BASIC MR tut, if there is such a thing.

I see that bb has some nodes named from the Poser default, but wasn't able to figure out how to do that in P5 (possible in P5??), meaning the Sheerness, and Denier (sp?), etc. 

I'll probly try it again, mebbe I'll turn out something halfway right......

Acadia ( ) posted Sun, 11 November 2007 at 11:40 AM

MadameX I sent you a site mail :)

MadameX ( ) posted Sun, 11 November 2007 at 12:30 PM

Quote - MadameX I sent you a site mail :)

Got it!  Working on a reply right now....

4blueyes ( ) posted Sun, 11 November 2007 at 12:44 PM

Thank you for the shader, it is amazing and works under all lights! Click to view full (sorry for ssp ^_^'): thumb_1559008.jpg Michal 4blueyes

Shadow_Fyre ( ) posted Sun, 11 November 2007 at 3:46 PM

Attached Link: HDRI Lighting

Yes, it is awesome and does work with lots of different lighting :) This shader is wonderful!

SSAfam1 ( ) posted Sun, 11 November 2007 at 11:52 PM

file_393172.png

Well here's mine. My heels are broken though. :(

ice-boy ( ) posted Mon, 12 November 2007 at 1:28 AM

to be honest i didnt know that you can pick colors from pics in the material room. this will make everything 50 times easier.

Coleman ( ) posted Mon, 12 November 2007 at 6:32 AM

You rock man! Beautiful effect! Thanks for sharing this

SSAfam1 ( ) posted Mon, 12 November 2007 at 7:56 PM

Any shoe suggestions? I conformed them and posed my figure. I tried scaling, but that didn't work. The straps aren't seperate from the shoes so trying to scale the strap to fit around the ankle would scale the shoe too. :(

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 12 November 2007 at 8:53 PM

If that is V3 and the shoes are for V3, they should fit.

SSAfam1 ( ) posted Mon, 12 November 2007 at 9:23 PM

Quote - If that is V3 and the shoes are for V3, they should fit.

Yes that is a character named, "Elizabeth" for V3 and V3 high heels from Daz.

Dead_Reckoning ( ) posted Tue, 13 November 2007 at 10:14 AM · edited Tue, 13 November 2007 at 10:17 AM

Fantastic Work as always BB.
Best Wishes on finding a College for your daughter.
My youngest is now 27 and I have survived the college experiences.

Question for you?
Is this something that you could write a Matmatic Script for?
Given the repetativeness, this looks like a prime candidate for Matmatic.

If I can find it, Posermatic, Alf, once sent me a quicker way to set the material zone.
I will post it, once found.

I am also guessing that one could use a Blender or Transmap to do Fishnet or some sort of designer stockins as well.

Cheers
DR

Quote - Ok I'm done. You're welcome to add questions or comments.

I did all those Denier, Sheerness, and Glitter charts in black. If you'd like to see a chart in some other color, just ask.

I can make them in minutes, now, because I found a cool way to automate the process.

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves."
Thomas Jefferson

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 13 November 2007 at 4:16 PM

Quote - Question for you?
Is this something that you could write a Matmatic Script for?
Given the repetativeness, this looks like a prime candidate for Matmatic.

Matmatic wouldn't do anything more than what is already there. 

As it is,  the shaders are there and all you have to do is pick the colour, change 3 values, browse to the leg texture map.

With matmatic you would run the script and it would genrate a material that you would have to click on and still change the colour and values to what you want and manually locate the leg texture map.

Conniekat8 ( ) posted Tue, 13 November 2007 at 4:28 PM

Awesome work as usual, demigod of shaders, Bagginsbill !

hey, these materials, the math part can be used to make other body parts (and materials) shimmer and shine, no?

Hi, my namez: "NO, Bad Kitteh, NO!"  Whaz yurs?
BadKittehCo Store  BadKittehCo Freebies and product support

Acadia ( ) posted Tue, 13 November 2007 at 4:50 PM

Quote - Awesome work as usual, demigod of shaders, Bagginsbill !

hey, these materials, the math part can be used to make other body parts (and materials) shimmer and shine, no?

Yes, just do the grouping thing on the various other parts and apply the material.

Dead_Reckoning ( ) posted Sat, 24 November 2007 at 9:07 AM

Quote - And the nodes ...

Fantastic work.

Could you explain what you did please?
Were the tops od the stockings already on the Texture Map?

Many Thanks
DR

"That government is best which governs the least, because its people discipline themselves."
Thomas Jefferson

BastBlack ( ) posted Sat, 24 November 2007 at 12:48 PM

Neato! Thanks. ^^ I like the image map for color grabbing. Clever. ^^

xanaman ( ) posted Fri, 04 April 2008 at 9:20 PM

THANK YOU!!  This is great!!

Suucat ( ) posted Sat, 05 April 2008 at 10:10 PM

How do i load your shader? i got stuck at that point =/

Who finds a friend finds a treasure!

Acadia ( ) posted Sat, 05 April 2008 at 11:06 PM

Did you get the material zones done?

If so and all you need to do is load the material in the material room, you do that as follows:

1.  Click "Material Room" tab

Make sure you are in "Advanced Mode".

1. See the 2 drop down arrows at the top of your big working window that has the "poser surface node" in it?  Make sure that your figure is the one selected in the left one. And in the right one  located the material zone that you made for the stockings.

2. Browse in your library to where you saved bagginsbill's material files.

3. Double click the file in the library. The materials will apply.

Now you have to go and locate the skin texture for that material zone.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/media/folder_8/file_392886.jpg

After you load the stocking shader, you should see something similar to the image above.

The "Skin Colour" node is actually an "Image_Map" node that has been renamed. In the upper right of that node click on what looks like a "calculator" icon. I think that reveals the browse option and dials for the node.

Click on "browse" and locate the skin texture for the legs of the skin texture package that you are  using on your character.  That will apply the skin texture to the legs.

If you are working with V4, you will have 2 separate material zones. So you will have to do all of the above for each of the 2 material zones.

Suucat ( ) posted Sat, 05 April 2008 at 11:53 PM · edited Sun, 06 April 2008 at 12:04 AM

Edit: I still don't understand how to do it, this is complicated for me.

Suucat ( ) posted Mon, 07 April 2008 at 10:34 PM

Quote - Did you get the material zones done?

If so and all you need to do is load the material in the material room, you do that as follows:

1.  Click "Material Room" tab

Make sure you are in "Advanced Mode".

1. See the 2 drop down arrows at the top of your big working window that has the "poser surface node" in it?  Make sure that your figure is the one selected in the left one. And in the right one  located the material zone that you made for the stockings.

2. Browse in your library to where you saved bagginsbill's material files.

3. Double click the file in the library. The materials will apply.

Now you have to go and locate the skin texture for that material zone.

http://www.renderosity.com/mod/forumpro/media/folder_8/file_392886.jpg

After you load the stocking shader, you should see something similar to the image above.

The "Skin Colour" node is actually an "Image_Map" node that has been renamed. In the upper right of that node click on what looks like a "calculator" icon. I think that reveals the browse option and dials for the node.

Click on "browse" and locate the skin texture for the legs of the skin texture package that you are  using on your character.  That will apply the skin texture to the legs.

If you are working with V4, you will have 2 separate material zones. So you will have to do all of the above for each of the 2 material zones.

For #3 you mean where i saved that file on my computer?

For #4 where do i double click the file? inside Poser? how? i don't understand, when i double click that file it just opens a weird window with a lot of text.

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 07 April 2008 at 10:40 PM

Suucat. I have some things going on right now, but if you can wait until the weekend I'll do up a video or picture tutorial to help you with this.

Suucat ( ) posted Mon, 07 April 2008 at 10:55 PM

It's ok, don't need to do that, i don't want to bother anyone.

Peace.

Acadia ( ) posted Mon, 07 April 2008 at 11:02 PM

It's not a bother. I don't mind doing it at all.  I'm just not able to do it before the weekend.

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Tue, 20 May 2008 at 8:09 AM

Got a bit of a weird question - has to do with sharing modded files. I've been on the legal discussion on the Daz forum and it's kinda put the fear in me... but I do like to edit stuff, like textures and all. Never to sell or anything, but I figure it's a good starting point, but I rarely stay with just what I buy - that goes for geometry, too. After all, that's the whole fun of doing Blender and Kerkythea and The GIMP and Daz Studio... and Poser, too, of course: tailoring things to suit yourself.
I would never sell those mods... but this is where my question comes in.

I've managed to overcome the thigh texture limitation (at the expense of the toes) and have created this new texture map for the stockings. Is it cool to offer this to the rest of you, or must i keep it to myself?

Here's a sample:

...or, I could let you know how it's done - it's not brain surgery. After all, even lil ol me could figure it out...

Monterey/Mint21.x/Win10 - Blender3.x - PP11.3(cm) - Musescore3.6.2

Wir sind gewohnt, daß die Menschen verhöhnen was sie nicht verstehen
[it is clear that humans have contempt for that which they do not understand] 

Metaphor of Chooks

shedofjoy ( ) posted Tue, 20 May 2008 at 8:22 AM

excellent, thankyou bagginsbill

Getting old and still making "art" without soiling myself, now that's success.

xanaman ( ) posted Tue, 20 May 2008 at 9:35 AM

Hi RobynsVeil,

To be safe, I say that you just post your technique until people get back to you on the other stuff.  I'd like to know how you did it.

Xan

http://xanaman.deviantart.com

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Tue, 20 May 2008 at 7:46 PM · edited Tue, 20 May 2008 at 7:47 PM

Content Advisory! This message contains nudity

Quote - Hi RobynsVeil,
To be safe, I say that you just post your technique until people get back to you on the other stuff.  I'd like to know how you did it.
Xan
http://xanaman.deviantart.com

Good point, Xan, and well taken.

It's really simple, really. The toes (in office attire, at least) can be hidden in shoes, and those other areas (like at the hips) are going to be hidden by clothing. What I found a bit limiting was how much of the thigh the skirt had to cover, since much of the fashions here on Renderosity and elsewhere is pretty skimpy stuff, showing plenty of thigh.

It was a matter of determining what texture was actually mapped to the thigh and using that. To my chagrin I discovered that the physical coordinates on the V4HiTorsoM.jpg that provided texture for the thighs overlapped those on the V4HiLimbsM.jpg. I though I'd have a go, anyway.

I'm poor - can't afford Photoshop, having spent all my hard-earned money on Poser content - so I use the GIMP. It's all pretty basic stuff, though, so those with Photoshop shouldn't have and trouble finding the analogous method in that program.
I'll show you what I discovered seemed to work best, using a freebie skin texture from:
faeriedreams2.com/store/index.php

...under Free Stuff, the character Krista. BTW, I am quite keen to put my own body MATs together, but all the places I've found require a $20 monthly subscription or are hideously expensive. Anyone have any ideas where one can get reasonable skin textures from live models?

Anyway, here's what you can try in order to get the legs you want:

-Bring up the limbs texture file and erase the arms and nails part of the image:

-Save it as a file that supports layers: in my case, .xcf, for Photoshop, .psd?
-Select by white, then invert the selection, thereby selecting all the visible skin texture. BTW, I would shirk your selection a bit too, to get rid of any white border - when I did this over, I shrunk it by 5 pixels to get rid of any white:

-Edit... copy
-Create a new layer, call it Limbs
-Paste
-Bring up the torso texture file
-Select the bottom half of the image, starting at about the level of the belly button and right out to the side:

-Copy
-Select your project image and create a new layer... call it Torso
-Paste
-Move it right down to the bottom of the image in as close to the original position as you can:

-Select by colour (white) grow your selection by 4 or 5, and delete

-Set opacity of that layer so that you can see the limbs layer. The tricky bit - you may have to play with this a bit to get it right... using your lasso tool, select roughly the area shown:

...and delete it... do the same for the other side
-Reset the opacity to 100%
-Save
-In the GIMP, "flatten image" replaces the alpha channel with white - you should end up with something where the alpha channel is white and your texture doesn't show any white border where it overlaps. Either smudge or erase any white edges .

Save as your JPG... I've kinda named them by the character that they have their skin from, sorta like:
StockingsV4_Krista.jpg
and have placed them all in a Stockings folder in the Textures area for easy access. Here's the same poor girl standing in a cold office minus her dress - not happy, Jan - but you can see the texture coverage you should end up with:

Nothing that a cleverly place pair of undies won't fix.

Good luck with this. I'm no where the genius that BagginsBill is - he's made a wonderful tool that will make everyone's renders just that much more exciting... thank YOU, BB...

Metaphor of Chooks

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Tue, 20 May 2008 at 8:03 PM

Never mind on the silly question about skin textures - I'd googled before, I did a search on the Marketplace for Merchant resource and voila! HEAPS of stuff and at decent prices too...

Metaphor of Chooks

bagginsbill ( ) posted Tue, 20 May 2008 at 8:43 PM · edited Tue, 20 May 2008 at 8:43 PM

Here's another way. LOL

Use the grouping tool. Select the polygons for the upper thighs - and even the hips/groin if you want pantyhose. Once they're selected, assign those polygons to a new material zone - make up a good name, like BagginsKicksAss.

Then you can just put the stocking shader on that new zone. The upper body will not be affected.

Renderosity forum reply notifications are wonky. If I read a follow-up in a thread, but I don't myself reply, then notifications no longer happen AT ALL on that thread. So if I seem to be ignoring a question, that's why. (Updated September 23, 2019)

RobynsVeil ( ) posted Tue, 20 May 2008 at 8:54 PM

Quote - Here's another way. LOL

Use the grouping tool. Select the polygons for the upper thighs - and even the hips/groin if you want pantyhose. Once they're selected, assign those polygons to a new material zone - make up a good name, like BagginsKicksAss.

Then you can just put the stocking shader on that new zone. The upper body will not be affected.

:blushing: I was going to say that next... no really, I was. 😉

A bit easier than the above technique... make that a lot easier. Oh well, it was worth trying, hey?

Metaphor of Chooks

Penguinisto ( ) posted Tue, 20 May 2008 at 10:50 PM

You're a leg-man, aren't you?

Kidding - good show, BB. :)

/P

xanaman ( ) posted Sun, 17 August 2008 at 7:02 PM

I did a quick search and didn't find anything...well...quickly, so I thought I would ask this forum.  Is there a utility or method for grouping V4 parts to make hosiery?  I tried and made a mess of things.  Can I just assign the abdomen to a new texture group and apply the hose textures to it, or is there more to it than that?

Thanks!

Xan

bagginsbill ( ) posted Sun, 17 August 2008 at 8:02 PM

Nope - there's not much to it. Use the group tool to select polygons, and assign them to a new material, so that can be different that the rest of the torso.

xanaman ( ) posted Mon, 18 August 2008 at 3:45 PM

Thanks Bagginsbill.

I used the V4 abdomen to create a texture group called "pantyhose" and applied your texture settings to it.  The good thing is that it works well for outfits with a high leg (like infamous and the V4 tank leotard).  The down side is that the texture goes most of the way up the back and chest and can be seen using outfits like infamous and the V4 tank leotard. 
Is there a way to select just the polygons on the lower abdomen to create a texture group?

Also, I noticed that the "pantyhose" group I created stays on the V4 character even when I load a new file.  Is this normal?  I couldn't delete the group, but instead assigned the abdomen back to the torso, leaving the pantyhose group in the drop-down menu.

Thanks again!
Xan

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.