Epic Games Releases September 2010 Unreal Development Kit Beta
CARY, NC (September 23, 2010) –Epic Games, Inc. has released the September 2010 UDK Beta, the latest version of the Unreal Development Kit (UDK), the free edition of Unreal Engine 3 that provides uncompromised access to the award-winning toolset used in blockbuster video games, 3D visualizations, digital films and more.
Epic is committed to providing the UDK community with regular software releases at no charge, and the latest beta is available now at www.udk.com/download.
Are you creating something great with UDK? Drop us a line in the Project Show-Off forums, where links to tech demos, gameplay videos and screenshots are always welcome.
We have a new UDK architecture forum. Are you using UDK to create 3D visualizations or simulations? Drop in and meet others who are using Unreal Engine 3 tools for similar purposes. Scaleform UI creation also gained its own forum.
It's easy to sign up as a commercial UDK developer online. Our FAQ can help you determine which type of license is right for you.
This month’s build of UDK features significant additions, including:
- UDK users now have access to the gameplay profiler tool.
- Matinee’s movement tracks can now be split into individual translation and rotation components.
- Users can bulk edit texture properties within the Content Browser.
- Due to changes in PhysX you should re-save all of your content.
- Fixed leaning during jumps in UDK.
- Fixed UDKVehicle crash.
- ‘AllowNVidiaStereo3D’ is false by default for UDK.
- Switched UDK maps over to use precomputed visibility.
- Resaved UDK maps for updated PhysX changes.
- Gameplay profiler tool now available in UDK!
- Allow movement tracks to be split so that translation and rotation components can be individually manipulated.
- You can now disable the audio radio filter effect in Matinee Kismet blocks.
Particle System improvements
- Now supports multiple ribbons per emitter.
- New 'RandomSeed' module in Cascade helps particles play back more consistently.
- Random size and lifetime can now be specified per ribbon in an emitter.
- Particle spawn rates are now clamped to prevent negative spawn rates.
- Added ‘ImageGrain’ to ‘UberPostProcess.’
- Improved post processing.
- Uses less memory.
- Better CPU/GPU performance.
- Improved quality and consistency.
- New features such as HDR scale and film grain.
- Optimized distortion pass.
- Fixed multiple split-screen issues causing color leaking.
- 'F5' key now enables shader complexity mode by default.
- Added support for rotating Joint Bone to ‘SkelControlLimb.’
- Animation compression improvements.
- With automatic or the ‘CompressAnimations’ commandlet.
- Savings of 30% over the previously compressed size are typical.
- Can be much higher on some animations or with adjustments to the compression parameters.
- Integrated fix for sRGB handling with fonts from Scaleform.
- GFx now supports Distance Field and RGBA UFonts.
- Added a sample GFxUI.int to Engine/Localization/INT/.
DCC Tools (Max/Maya)
- ActorX for Maya and Max 2011 is now supported.
- ‘PhysXDestructible’ has been removed.
- APEX destructibles are replacing them.
- Workflow enhancements (e.g., find all materials using this texture, support for local collections to the Content Browser).
- Fixed hitches during gameplay caused by long processing times for zero length linechecks.
- OBJ mesh export now can generate a diffuse, specular and normal texture from the material.
- Alternate mesh bone weight import tool has been much improved and supports both low->high and high->low bone count swapping.
- Streaming texture stat enhancements including the new STAT TEXTUREPOOL command.
- Landscape editing improvements.
- The new color picker is now integrated into the mesh paint tool.
- The mesh paint tool now supports flood fill.
- Gamma can now be used even if the tonemapper is activated.
- Texture properties can now be edited in bulk via the Content Browser.
UDK Forums: www.udk.com/forums
UDK Developers on LinkedIn: www.linkedin.com/groups?gid=2493123
UDK on Facebook: www.facebook.com/pages/UDK/183744733429
Epic Games on Twitter: www.twitter.com/EpicGames
UDK is the free edition of Unreal Engine 3. Used to create hundreds of award-winning games, the power of the Unreal Engine is now in your hands.
About Unreal Engine 3
The award-winning Unreal Engine is known for cutting-edge graphics and its
best-of-breed toolset. Unreal Engine 3 maintains those features in addition
to multi-core processor support, Xbox 360® and PLAYSTATION®3 optimizations,
massive world support, and a highly mature tool pipeline. Unreal Engine 3's
consistently evolving toolset is designed to accelerate developers'
productivity for PC and console games, visualization applications, training
simulations, and linear animated content. Additional information on Unreal
Engine can be obtained through the Unreal Technology Web site at
About Epic Games
Epic Games, Inc., based in Cary, NC and established in 1991, develops
cutting-edge games and cross-platform game engine technology. The company
has created multiple, million-selling, award-winning titles in its "Unreal"
series, including "Unreal Tournament 3" for PC, PLAYSTATION®3 and Xbox
360®. Epic's "Gears of War" won over 30 Game of the Year awards, and the
sales of "Gears of War" and "Gears of War 2" have eclipsed 11 million
units. Epic's Unreal Engine 3 is the three-time consecutive winner of Game
Developer magazine's Best Engine Front Line Award, was the 2008 Hall of
Fame inductee and won Best Engine again in 2009. Unreal Engine 3 has also
been recognized as the number one game engine by Develop magazine.
Additional information about Epic can be obtained through the Epic Games
Web site at http://www.epicgames.com
© 2010, Epic Games, Inc. Epic, Epic Games, Unreal, Unreal Development Kit, Unreal Editor, Unreal Engine, AnimSet Editor, Unreal Content Browser, Unreal Kismet, Unreal Lightmass, Unreal Matinee and UnrealScript are trademarks or registered trademarks of Epic Games, Inc. in the United States of America and elsewhere. All other trademarks are the property of their respective owners.