Fri, May 17, 3:30 PM CDT

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 May 16 11:59 pm)

Subject: Stargate Atlantis - gate room under construction

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 12 August 2016 at 7:52 AM

Coming along nicely.

Kendra ( ) posted Sat, 13 August 2016 at 11:46 PM

I played with this texture a bit today. This is a SuperFly render. It's unfinished and still needs work and I meant to do more but I've been under the weather. I'm not happy with the console texture and plan to fix that tomorrow. Let me know what you all think. :)

consoletest.jpg

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Sun, 14 August 2016 at 7:31 AM · edited Sun, 14 August 2016 at 7:33 AM

Hooray! The circuit detailing for the control crystals is good, as is the constellation detail on the DHD. thumbsup.gif I'll add the glowing effect to your textures - and to those burnt orange panels in the chassis.

I already have a lettering mask for that keyboard. The Asgard communication stone is UV mapped to make it fairly easy to add Futharken lettering around the side. I may already have a raw UFO file started for that.

Anyone who's game, we'll need a bump map for that geometric pattern on the piano chassis sides/back/legs.

Control_Console_-_Atlantis.jpg

piano - side.jpg

piano model.jpg

I'm trying to draw a cleaner engraving bump map at 4096x4096 for the stargate, but my old 32bit PhotoImpact X3 program pops up an "insufficient memory" warning sometimes. This workstation (Urania) has 48GB; I should shop for a 64bit photo manipulation & drawing program, but I hate to have to learn a different program from scratch.

I'm just about finished with saving OBJ assemblies from Silo. I've been trying to be careful about breaking it up with the idea of being able to hide a piece so as to allow camera access.

Poser 12, in feet.  

OSes:  Win7Prox64, Win7Ultx64

Silo Pro 2.5.6 64bit, Vue Infinite 2014.7, Genetica 4.0 Studio, UV Mapper Pro, UV Layout Pro, PhotoImpact X3, GIF Animator 5

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Mon, 15 August 2016 at 1:07 AM

PhotoImpact X3 succeeded in producing a larger redrawn bump map for the stargate's engraving. Compare to the similar render a few posts above.

Atlantis stargate closeup Aug14 U.jpg

Poser 12, in feet.  

Silo Pro 2.5.6 64bit, Vue Infinite 2014.7, Genetica 4.0 Studio, UV Mapper Pro, UV Layout Pro, PhotoImpact X3, GIF Animator 5

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Wed, 17 August 2016 at 11:06 AM

I have a passable, not great, bump map for the piano.

piano test 01.jpg

Bear in mind that this is a work-in-progress test render; some texturing is missing (no "circuit" masks or fresnel on the control crystals nor on the wall sconce lights; no bump for the holoscreen frame, disproportionate bump on the hex chiclet columns (ceramic grain bump is too strong, groove bump is too weak).

Poser 12, in feet.  

Kendra ( ) posted Thu, 18 August 2016 at 1:32 PM

I think it looks good. I'm still feeling sick but when I get to my desktop i'll attach the dhd and circuit texture I was playing with and you may be able to improve it. btw, what program are you using to model?

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Thu, 18 August 2016 at 2:09 PM · edited Thu, 18 August 2016 at 2:10 PM

Kendra posted at 1:45PM Thu, 18 August 2016 - #4280329

...what program are you using to model?

Silo 2.3.1, which is now 64bit. I use UV Layout to UV-unwrap complex shapes, and UV Mapper Pro for simple shapes.

I've been importing the parts into Poser, and while working up materials found several mistakes, returned to Silo to fix them, then re-import to Poser. I think the mapping and material zones are OK now, so I'll soon be making a beta pack for you to play with. Several materials will yet need adjusted/corrected, and some haven't even been started, but it will be enough to make some renders with.

Poser 12, in feet.  

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Fri, 19 August 2016 at 12:50 AM · edited Fri, 19 August 2016 at 12:51 AM

Another test render - a bright morning in Atlantis.

bannister+stair test 01 - Aug18.jpg

Among other things, I don't like the look of the bannister corner lights (texture-wise). I haven't gotten the conference doors installed yet.

Poser 12, in feet.  

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Sat, 20 August 2016 at 4:57 AM

This still lacks some texturing, Poser will look for some (four?) obsolete JPGs and for Lorenzo Lores (just skip those searches), the geometry is not extracted from the PP2s, and there is only one of each type door. The rear (balcony) window is set for night, but the front (gate) window is cranked up for day shots.

I did at least include the material files which are in my library, which have day & night versions of the balcony window (only the ambient strength is different) and day/night versions for the construct.

So, this is a beta release.

Free for both personal and commercial renders, do not redistribute. Be nice. 😁

bannister+stair test Aug19b Galadriel - rough.jpg

Atlantis gate room - Aug19 beta

Note that the set is broken up into several pieces, with the intent that you can hide a piece to allow for camera access, and/or hide/delete any pieces which are not in your render if you're tight on memory. Post any errors you see or if you feel some change needs to be made.

Poser 12, in feet.  

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Sat, 20 August 2016 at 6:37 PM · edited Sat, 20 August 2016 at 6:38 PM

If anyone is going to try a test render, be aware of the following mistakes I found today:

[1] The construct; Go to runtimelibrariesmaterials Superfly matsAtlantis, and apply "construct ground - sea" MT5 to the ground material zone, and apply "construct bg - Sky Aglow 270" MT5 to the background material zone.

[2] The bumper ledge in Weir's office didn't get textured (still has the "concrete" from Silo assigned, which Poser can't find); apply the "bumper w script" MT5.

[3] Jumper bay shaft is poorly textured, but I cranked a asymmetrical seamless tile with matching normal map using Genetica, and from the rough beginning of a test render, the new jumper bay shaft texture looks good. So don't worry about that.

Poser 12, in feet.  

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Sun, 21 August 2016 at 4:44 AM

I was setting up a test render of the intracity transporter (the elevator-like thing) this morning, and spotted an errant thin vertical strip polygon inside the transporter. The errant poly is part of the OBJ02 side wall assembly; I have already fixed that in Silo.

From these test renders, I see that the bump on the bannister filigree needs to be softened. I don't know what should go in that ground floor area under the office door. Should there be a door there somewhere? The set is modular, so I can make corrections without re-doing the whole model. These renders show the new -and definitely improved- texture for the jumper bay shaft.

Atlantis gate room Aug20 G.jpg

Atlantis gate room Aug20 U.jpg

This morning, I'm working up materials and setting up test renders for the lower halls and the intracity transporter.

Poser 12, in feet.  

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Sun, 21 August 2016 at 4:23 PM · edited Sun, 21 August 2016 at 4:26 PM

Lower halls; you can get interior shots like this by hiding (click the "eye" icon in the hierarchy panel) a piece of wall. This is necessary because in this shot, it looks as if you are standing very near the hexagonal pillar, but the Poser camera is twenty feet behind you, and outside of the exterior wall.

Atlantis lower halls Aug21 G.jpg

The intracity transporter:

Atlantis transporter Aug21 U.jpg

Belatedly, I saw in a screengrab that the doorway openings in the lower hall are shaped rather like the transporter doors. I can make a replacement assembly which features that, and even if it's after release, y'all can simply delete the old lower hall partition assembly and add the new one.

Poser 12, in feet.  

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 21 August 2016 at 5:05 PM

The stage looks awesome!!!

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Mon, 22 August 2016 at 9:54 AM

Thank you, HBorre! ^^

Anybody decent at illustrator type drawing? We could use a stained glass map for these doors.
My Silo model:

Lantean doors - Silo raw.png

Enhanced screengrab:

transporter doors  f150 - 1200p.jpg

1024p template:

Lantean_door_1024.png

Lantean door kit - zip has OBJ, 2048p template, and the screengrab

Oh, I reworked the lower hall partitions. Here is a test render, with a Silo screengrab superimposed:

Atlantis lower halls Aug22 G.jpg

Poser 12, in feet.  

Kendra ( ) posted Mon, 22 August 2016 at 1:39 PM

Looks awesome. I'll have to start over on the texture I was working on. My hardrive took a nose dive. I'm waiting for a sata to usb cable to see if I can get any of my data off it while I wait for a new ssd to arrive. I'm getting a 404 on the link though. Could you post it again?

david_macrae ( ) posted Mon, 22 August 2016 at 4:00 PM

This is looking really awesome. :-)

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Mon, 22 August 2016 at 9:57 PM · edited Mon, 22 August 2016 at 10:11 PM

Thank you, David. 😁

@Kendra -and any other beta testers/contributors: Four download links below.

===============================

Atlantis gate room - Aug 22 beta - PZ3 in runtime library, so you already have cameras. One copy of the new Lantean door is in the transporter, viewable through "dollycam transporter". I'll probably re-work each hall level exterior doorway to take a pair of these doors.

Lantean door kit - has OBJ, 2048 template, and screengrab

Useful screengrabs to guide texturing

some Atlantis templates

==========================================

A not terribly interesting test render: normal mapped surface texturing of the metal filigree on the bannister, and of the bannister corner light bezels. Boring work, but these details need to be dialed in.

metal filigree on stair bannister Aug22 U.jpg

Poser 12, in feet.  

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Tue, 23 August 2016 at 12:07 AM

Let me try again for the template pack...

Atlantis templates

Poser 12, in feet.  

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Tue, 23 August 2016 at 7:54 AM

I've changed three assemblies, deleting the old rectangular doorways and installing pocketed doorways for sliding pairs of Lantean doors, in these three locations:

added Lantean doorways.jpg

Poser 12, in feet.  

Kendra ( ) posted Thu, 25 August 2016 at 4:38 PM

You did really, really good with this. I've been playing with it and I'm waiting on a render now, when I'm happy with it I'll post it. But seriously, good job. I'm in fan art heaven with this. Now I just need to work on my characters.

SamTherapy ( ) posted Thu, 25 August 2016 at 5:02 PM

Dear me, that looks spectacular!

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Fri, 26 August 2016 at 3:50 AM

Thank you, SamTherapy! And thank you, Kendra! 😀 I tried drawing a stained glass map for the Lantean doors; it's passable, but I'm sure someone else could do better. Also, trying out a Fresnel effect on the hex column chiclets, so as to avoid that whiteout on the column, and to show the chiclet edges and give them some shape (avoiding the silhouette appearance). Softened the illumination of the transporter control buttons. Enhanced the grooves in the hex columns, but the finer swirled stipple pattern is still not showing.

Atlantis transporter Aug25 U.jpg

I also drew a stained glass pattern for the balcony door; it's, um, well, better than nothing. That is the Aug25 version of the balcony door. I'll put together an OBJ & template pack for the balcony door and the big doors off to the side of the gate dias (I call them the Furling doors). There is also a fine-grained bump pattern on the wall sconce light pillar, but at this distance I can't see it. The glow panel in the low wall of the main stair landing is way over bright; I'll dial that down to a gentle "nightlight" glow, so that the inset depth shows. I used a random circuit motherboard pattern across all of the control crystals of the piano just to be able to see if the differential brightness works (it does). I'll wait for your control crystal map. 😃 Oh, I need to add Fresnel to the control crystals, to emphasise their shape. The Asgard communication stone will get some Futharken script around the perimeter.

balcony door A25 G.jpg

I'm working on the triangular conference room table this morning.

Glass template for Aug25 Furling doors:

Furling_door_A25_glass.png

Template for Aug25 balcony doors:

balcony_door A25.png

Poser 12, in feet.  

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Sat, 27 August 2016 at 7:43 AM · edited Sat, 27 August 2016 at 7:44 AM

The next beta will have a bit of extended hex column and Lantean doorway for the stairway leading from the control room up to the jumper bay. The door controls will be rotated 90' and placed on the bit of wall beside the door, not on the side wall as shown here.

jumper stair A25 U.jpg

I noticed that the raised and inset panels on the big doors (off to the side of the central dias) get smoothed too much in Poser; I'm going to try breaking edges to retain the shape.

Furling doors A25 G.jpg

And the lack of periodic vertical bands in the bumper glow strips has been solved; apparently the UVs got hosed at some point, but I've UV-unwrapped all of them together, so that the UV scale and orientation agree. Once I re-assemble the parts and do a test render, we'll know if that succeeded. Got chairs. Need to make un-wheeled versions for the little raised dias, so that no Poser folk roll off backward and break their neck. The Asgard communication stone's text didn't show, but that'll be easy to fix.

chairs Aug26 U.jpg

Poser 12, in feet.  

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Sun, 28 August 2016 at 11:06 PM · edited Sun, 28 August 2016 at 11:07 PM

Test render of the exterior balcony (RogueDragon's stained glass art on the main windows)...

A27 exterior balcony T.jpg

Poser 12, in feet.  

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Wed, 31 August 2016 at 12:59 PM

In the piano render two posts above, look at the vertical surfaces of the little dias in the control room; it should have the same material as the horizontal surfaces (and floor); the UVs got destroyed somehow. I needed to delete that piece of geometry from the mezzanine assembly, UV map the vertical dias surfaces, scale those UVs to match that of the rest of the mezzanine, then recombine it with the mezzanine assembly. Done.

I finally got a soft edge to that periodic break in the pale blue glow strips of the "bumper" (those projecting ledges). I added those gnomonic navigation lines to the floors/ceilings, but in the test renders (posted below) I noticed that a couple of them don't quite line up; that has already been fixed.

The stained glass patterns on the big windows (gate window and balcony window) were done by RogueDragon; the Atlantis logo on the chairs was done by Ponkes; if I don't get permission to use Ponkes' logo drawing in the set, I'll use the distributable logo from the Stargate wiki.

Once I'm satisfied that the geometry, UVs, etc are all correct, then I'll begin to save prop files of the assemblies, strip out OBJs, reset origins for things which move, and try to get the conference doors ERCed to pivot open in unison. That way, all eight conference doors will call a single OBJ; likewise for chairs and such.

Poser 12, in feet.  

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Wed, 31 August 2016 at 1:04 PM

Atlantis main stair Aug29 U.jpg

Atlantis gate room Aug29 T.jpg

Atlantis control room A30 U.jpg

conference room A30 U.jpg

Poser 12, in feet.  

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Thu, 01 September 2016 at 6:22 PM

Finally got that fine grained surface texture on the hex columns:

bump on hex columns 0901 T.jpg

Poser 12, in feet.  

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Mon, 05 September 2016 at 1:11 PM

Furnishings for Weir's office:

Weir's office - interior Sep04 T.jpg

Poser 12, in feet.  

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Tue, 06 September 2016 at 5:57 AM

A milestone, of sorts; this morning I saved the prop assemblies and went through the process of extracting OBJs. I'm now working with a model which has remotely referenced geometry. Now I can begin setting origins, duplicating doors and chairs, etc. Hopefully I can get the conference room doors to rotate open in unison.

Poser 12, in feet.  

dlfurman ( ) posted Tue, 06 September 2016 at 8:42 AM

This is some cool stuff!

"Few are agreeable in conversation, because each thinks more of what he intends to say than that of what others are saying, and listens no more when he himself has a chance to speak." - Francois de la Rochefoucauld

Intel Core i7 920, 24GB RAM, GeForce GTX 1050 4GB video, 6TB HDD space
Poser 12: Inches (Poser(PC) user since 1 and the floppies/manual to prove it!)

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Thu, 08 September 2016 at 5:49 PM · edited Thu, 08 September 2016 at 5:50 PM

Thank you, dlfurman! 😁

Rigged the chairs to rock back and forth (the caster chair also swivels and tilts). Set up dependent parameters for the file cabinet drawer and the pairs of sliding doors, and for the conference room doors. Thanks to Shvrdavid for the tut on dependent parameters! 😀

Links to see demo GIF: conference room door demo (Photobucket) or conference room door demo (Deviant Art)

Poser 12, in feet.  

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 09 September 2016 at 7:51 AM

Those doors look incredible.

Khai-J-Bach ( ) posted Fri, 09 September 2016 at 7:54 AM

So.. Need a Jumper.. P90... Rodney "is he scared enough yet" McKay.....

RorrKonn ( ) posted Sat, 10 September 2016 at 8:32 PM

Hey that looks good ,Thumbs up :)

============================================================ 

The Artist that will fight for decades to conquer their media.
Even if you never know their name ,your know their Art.
Dark Sphere Mage Vengeance

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Tue, 13 September 2016 at 8:24 PM · edited Tue, 13 September 2016 at 8:32 PM

Thanks, guys. 😁

Poorly-rendered test of the stable wormhole event horizon "puddle":

stargate puddle

I'll set up a full render of the puddle and a full render of the "ka-whoosh!" running overnight; if they come out passable, then we're done.

Poser 12, in feet.  

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Tue, 13 September 2016 at 11:52 PM

Stable wormhole established. Approaching the stargate puddle... approaching the stargate puddle Sep13 T.jpg

Poser 12, in feet.  

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Wed, 14 September 2016 at 5:26 PM

Puddle test 5. Better, I think. Opinions?

Poser 12, in feet.  

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Thu, 15 September 2016 at 5:05 AM

Ka-whoosh!

ka-whoosh Sep14 G.jpg

Approaching the gate puddle (new puddle material)...

approaching the stargate puddle U.jpg

Time to start cleaning up and packing.

Poser 12, in feet.  

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Fri, 16 September 2016 at 10:49 AM

Atlantis rising...

Five zips are posted in my ShareCG album. You'll need all five for a complete Atlantis playset.

Atlantis

Poser 12, in feet.  

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Fri, 16 September 2016 at 10:02 PM

When I merged two zips, OBJs and libraries folder, into a part 1 zip, I misplaced the libraries folder so that they are in a runtime within the runtime. I have uploaded a corrected part 1 zip marked as "SR1". Sorry for the error;:oops: either move the libraries folder or download the corrected SR1 zip for package 1.

Poser 12, in feet.  

Kendra ( ) posted Fri, 14 October 2016 at 7:11 PM

Finally, I managed to get a render finished. :) A re-creation of the scene when the gateroom flooded. Still working on the character and the clothing textures but so glad for seachnasaigh's awesome work on this scene. Thank you again.

K-AtlantisGateroomFlood.jpg

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Sat, 15 October 2016 at 11:03 AM

What doll base and clothing is that?

Poser 12, in feet.  

Kendra ( ) posted Sat, 15 October 2016 at 1:16 PM

M4 and I think the outfit is from poserworld.

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Sat, 18 March 2017 at 2:34 AM

This project started in the thread "Giving you your props"

The Atlantis gate room playset is in the R'osity freestuff.

Poser 12, in feet.  

GameSoldierDE ( ) posted Sat, 03 August 2019 at 2:15 PM

Wow thats awesome work, is it possible to get a copy of that Atlantis model?

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sat, 03 August 2019 at 2:42 PM
Site Admin

It was in the last post listed Atlantis, but here it is again.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Sun, 04 August 2019 at 9:10 AM

The Atlantis gateroom is available as one big zip in Renderosity freestuff:

Atlantis

It is also available as a set of five smaller zips at ShareCG:

Atlantis

Poser 12, in feet.  

EClark1894 ( ) posted Sun, 04 August 2019 at 6:01 PM

You wouldn't have a model of Deep Space Nine, would you? 😁

bwldrd ( ) posted Sun, 04 August 2019 at 7:15 PM

@Eclark19844

DS9 For Poser

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Consider me insane if you wish, but is your reality any better?

movida ( ) posted Sun, 04 August 2019 at 7:39 PM

that's just gorgeous

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.