Welcome to the Freestuff Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny, Digitell, Deenamic, CHMedia Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon

Freestuff F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2022 Sep 26 7:25 am)

Welcome to the Freestuff Forum. The Freestuff Forum is intended for all  freestuff related postings within our community. This is a highlight area where our membership is invited to review, announce and give feedback in greater detail on various freestuff items offered.  Members can also post wishes of freestuff items they would like to see.

Notice: Links to offsite 'For Sale' items will be removed

Renderosity Freestuff Area

Freestuff Gallery

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Candle flame shader (3D mesh) for Poser Firefly

3dcheapskate ( ) posted Wed, 25 May 2022 at 11:15 PM · edited Wed, 28 September 2022 at 10:29 PM

This is the supporting topic for my "Candle flame shader (3D mesh) for Poser Firefly" freebie in the Renderosity Free Stuff.

I was getting fed up with those 2D billboard flames that are part of most Poser candles and decided to try creating a candle flame shader that would work on a 3D flame mesh.

Please feel free to post comments (good or bad - constructive criticism preferred), suggestions for improvement, and/or questions about this freebie here.

Link to item in Renderosity Free Stuff: Candle flame shader (3D mesh) for Poser Firefly

Alternative link to item at ShareCG: Candle flame shader (3D mesh) for Poser Firefly

Alternative link to item at DeviantArt: Candle flame shader (3D mesh) for Poser Firefly

promo.jpg

The 3Dcheapskate* occasionally posts sensible stuff. Usually by accident.

*also available in ShareCG, DeviantArt, DAZ, and CGBytes flavours.

3dcheapskate ( ) posted Wed, 25 May 2022 at 11:29 PM

When I origiinally decided to try and make a candle flame shader I started the Candle Flame Shader For Firefly... (Use Postwork Answer Is For Cowards!) topic in the Poser Official forum here, so that's the best place to look if you want to see more of the background to this little project.

There's also a Poser firefly candles ? topic over on the Hivewire3D content development forum which ran in parallel.

Although there is some duplication it's worth looking at both topics because some things were only posted on one or the other.

3dcheapskate ( ) posted Wed, 25 May 2022 at 11:33 PM

Since there are many screenshots of shaders in those development topics I think it's worth posting the ones that I ended up using.

This is the flame shader that's used in the freebie. It only does the orange/yellow/white part, not the blue zone, and is applied to the main flame ellipsoid (material zone 'Flame')

bm5vfjXvozZXND0zKpD03tOeSctzx5xKYzRmnfNi.jpg

3dcheapskate ( ) posted Wed, 25 May 2022 at 11:35 PM

And this is the shader that's used for the blue zone at the base of the flame, material zone 'BlueZone', which is a slightly larger ellipsoid than the flame.

d9XuvVyVdqkdQtxOvfHd1KlLhdi0olGVNpK1NVK8.jpg

3dcheapskate ( ) posted Wed, 25 May 2022 at 11:42 PM

I rendered a couple of (very) short animations, 2s and 5s long, and uploaded them to YouTube.

This is the 2s one Poser Firefly candle flame test - YouTube

And this is the 5s one (this scene file for this is included in the freebie) - Another very short Poser Firefly candle flame animation - YouTube

3dcheapskate ( ) posted Thu, 26 May 2022 at 6:57 AM · edited Thu, 26 May 2022 at 6:57 AM

A third rendered animation without using any flame morphs, just animating five of the node inputsof the flame material

5dWKLlzJJjzTOqbLjkcxxAtZBYJN03GK3YWPFzbc.jpg    Poser candle flame ver 3 with animated material - YouTube

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.