Fri, May 17, 7:29 AM CDT

Welcome to the Blender Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433 Forum Coordinators: LuxXeon

Blender F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 May 12 9:27 pm)

Welcome to the Blender Forum!

Your place to learn about Blender, ask questions,
   exchange ideas, and interact with the other Blender users!

Gallery | Freestuff | Tutorials

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace. Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Judy Hopps...with fur, even!

Redfern ( ) posted Thu, 07 April 2016 at 8:11 PM · edited Wed, 15 May 2024 at 10:41 AM

A couple of days ago I stumbled across an astonishingly accurate version of Zootopia's Judy Hopps, a model intended for Blender. The artist Scott Sewel (aka "splatypi") even gave the mesh "fur"!

http://www DOT blendswap DOT com/blends/view/83856

(link purposely broken to adhere to Rendo's current TOS)

In the right hands, she can be made to move around this this.

http://gfycat DOT com/AllBackHartebeest

(link purposely broken to adhere to Rendo's current TOS)

I was so impressed that it motivated me to finally download the modeling/animation suite, Blender just so I can "play" with this model. I certainly don't expect to pull off an animation like the one above right off the bat, I'd just be happy to just pose and render a still or two. But...ARGH!...I can't make head or tails of Blender's interface! I guess I've been spoiled by the almost childlike simplicity of Poser's clearly and boldly labeled joint rotation and morph dials. Obviously, I've overlooking something simple yet bloody important.

No, I don't crave to gave this model converted to Poser because I know it will not look nearly as good. It would look like a toy in comparison to the native Blender environment. Is there possibly a "script" that will generate a "for dummies" simplistic control panel for posing the figure? I'm afraid I need one!

Sincerely,

Bill

Tempt the Hand of Fate and it'll give you the "finger"!

Mythic3D ( ) posted Thu, 07 April 2016 at 9:00 PM

Hi Redfern,

It sounds like you are entirely new to Blender so I don't know how familiar you are with just moving around and selecting things - if you need help with basics like that then I highly recommend you check out a YouTube channel called Blender For Noobs where you can find a couple very short videos to get you up and running quickly. I know I felt totally lost until I stumbled onto his "Learn Blender in an Hour" video and after watching it once and playing around a bit I started to understand the logic of how Blender's interface is set up.

As far as the Judy Hops model you are looking at, I haven't done any animation in Blender (I'm sure someone with more real knowledge will be along to help :) ) but I took a look at it and there are "helpers" for posing it in the scene. In the screenshot below I circled a few of them. Try right-clicking on any of those to select it and then either use the "G" hotkey to grab it and move it around or the "R" hotkey to rotate it and you should see things start moving around on the character.

JudyHopsRig.JPG

FrankT ( ) posted Fri, 08 April 2016 at 2:15 PM

you are aware that it is only competing marketplaces which you can't link to? not all offsite links

My Freebies
Buy stuff on RedBubble

Redfern ( ) posted Fri, 08 April 2016 at 2:31 PM

Looks like I didn't. Conditions are turning "draconian" all over the place, so I was merely "playing it safe."

Sincerely,

Bill

DramaKing ( ) posted Sat, 09 April 2016 at 11:20 AM

Yeah, Blender's rig controls are not easy to use. I believe that you also need to be in Pose Mode.

If you need any other assistance, send me a message on Skype (nuttynut20).

It is better to do one thing well, than to do many things and excel at nothing.

Redfern ( ) posted Thu, 14 April 2016 at 7:59 AM

I meant to say thanks for the feedback. I found that YouTube Channel "Blender for Noobs" and will start studying the tutorials when I can devote sufficient time.

This Judy mesh is proving to be quite popular as I'm seeing it more and more upon galleries like Deviant Art.

Sincerely,

Bill

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.