Forum Moderators: RedPhantom Forum Coordinators: Anim8dtoon
Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2026 Oct 03 7:44 am)
That's what I'm asking. Has anybody experimented with that, and if so, would they be willing to share the "formula" (settings, whatever)?Hm maybe dynamic hair is something to think about :) He would look great with real fur :D
*** *** ***
Tempt the Hand of Fate and it'll give you the "finger"!
Well...poo! Not what I had hoped to read, but at least I know now it's a method upon which I should not waste any time.Dynamic hair for something as large as a full body model is system intensive and could cause app crashes. There is a DAZ werewolf model with dynamic hair that cannot render in Poser, it causes constant crashes.
*** *** ***
Tempt the Hand of Fate and it'll give you the "finger"!
Looks pretty good as is. You might try a slight finer map for the hair and it would look even better. Sixus 1 made a gorilla sometime ago with dynamic hair on parts of the body that looked very good. I haven't used it in a long time. Here's an image I made with it:

I don't know if you can find the file (he may have called it a "silver back") but by inspecting it you might glean an idea about how he used dynamic hair. To me, the effect is most convincing on the limbs, especially the legs.
Teh Mollz
Redfern posted at 2:18 PM Mon, 21 September 2026 - #3003890
hm.. which Gorilla is it? I read it like it is a Poser Model from Daz3d? or maybe did I translate it wrong? I ask because it should not be that difficult to use dynamic hair on a Poser-model. Once I made a Tiger (Hivewire) with dynamic hair and it worked good. (need to be invisible until the final render can be made, otherwise maybe Poser is a bit slow.. but the PC I was working with is nearly 8 years old)Just curious, did anybody ever make a "fur" set for the original "Poser coded" DAZ Gorilla, either a transparency mapped based arrangement, or something using Poser's "Hair Room"? Not to be confused with a "bump" or "displacement" channel setup. I'm already using the displacement channel to "thicken up" the overall body, particularly the digits to imply a "costume"
I',m generally happy with what I've achieved here and it will work well enough for comedic render I have in mind. But if there exists something to make the "Ro-Man" genuinely "hairy", so much the better.
https://www.renderosity.com/gallery/items/3198075/tiger
https://www.renderosity.com/gallery/items/3198097/tiger-by-dayWhich gorilla? This vintage product, the "Millennium Gorilla".
https://www.daz3d.com/millennium-gorilla
This is the full version with all the morphs. Bought it in November 2007, though I got the "LE" version 5 years earlier, June 2002.
*** *** ***
Tempt the Hand of Fate and it'll give you the "finger"!
ah ok, luckily I have this one too in my runtime. I will have a look tomorrow. It's late here. I think it should work with a few short hairs. 😊Which gorilla? This vintage product, the "Millennium Gorilla".
https://www.daz3d.com/millennium-gorilla
This is the full version with all the morphs. Bought it in November 2007, though I got the "LE" version 5 years earlier, June 2002.
Nice artwork, I want to see sixus1 version of gorlia. how to find him??Looks pretty good as is. You might try a slight finer map for the hair and it would look even better. Sixus 1 made a gorilla sometime ago with dynamic hair on parts of the body that looked very good. I haven't used it in a long time. Here's an image I made with it:
I don't know if you can find the file (he may have called it a "silver back") but by inspecting it you might glean an idea about how he used dynamic hair. To me, the effect is most convincing on the limbs, especially the legs.
Teh Mollz
Short straight hair is easy enough for a first-time experiment with creating dynamic hair. I'm not great with the hair room, but I fiddled around with it for a few minutes and came up with what may be a reasonable start:

(I don't know if the numbers for length, etc. might look different using a different scale. My Poser scale is set to inches; the default hair length starts at 0.04 for 4 inches, I ramped that down to 0.01 for one inch. Set the skin to white and hair to black to make the hair easier to see.)
There are a few reasons why dynamic hair might not be the best solution. One is that short hair tends not to move much, so you may not get much benefit from the dynamic part. Dynamic hair can give depth, but it may not be perceptible unless you are getting real close up. Dynamic hair might give a better interaction with light, if you are using real high quality settings.
With the DAZ Gorilla LE, you may have trouble defining natural looking hair groups because the figure's geometry is so rectangular. So hairlines are going to be straight or rectangular.
But there's no reason not to experiment to find out for yourself, I think the experimentation will be easy enough for you.
It wouldn't be too hard to combine displacement/bump maps, if you wanted to use displacement for both the body thickness and hair depth.
As for the Sixus 1 gorilla, I had a hunt around and he may not be available anymore. =(
I used the Internet Archive way back and I can't fine him anywhere. I recall getting him directly from Les' old site for Sixus 1 Media but he wasn't there. Maybe someone smarter than me can find him archived somewhere. =/
Teh Mollz
MollyFootman posted at 10:17 PM Wed, 30 September 2026 - #4510633
not that much maybe 2 Minutes max., but I have a good GPU XD .. It is a old notebook (9 years old MSI Gaming Notebook) but it still can handle such things very good. I think my new PC at my other home would render in 2 seconds.That looks great! How's the rendering time? I expect it increases a bit, doesn't it?
Teh Mollz
Well... I also did not the whole body, just the parts I would need for this image.
If the render do not need to be a close up, I think less hair with the texture of the underlying materialzone would still look good and would not scare the GPU/CPU. If you look closer you can see his scalp XD... he has very thin hair. Another trick can be to thicken up the hair at the root. Usually, for humans, I am usin 0.2 at the root and 0.1 at the tips, beard and stubble maybe more... and fur for animals can be thicker too. :)
I haven't tried a whole figure with hair, but I've found with superfly, that dynamic hair renders faster than transmapped hair. Going through the many layers of transparencies can slow a render down.
Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage
Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 14 and Windows 11
This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.
Just curious, did anybody ever make a "fur" set for the original "Poser coded" DAZ Gorilla, either a transparency mapped based arrangement, or something using Poser's "Hair Room"? Not to be confused with a "bump" or "displacement" channel setup. I'm already using the displacement channel to "thicken up" the overall body, particularly the digits to imply a "costume"
I',m generally happy with what I've achieved here and it will work well enough for comedic render I have in mind. But if there exists something to make the "Ro-Man" genuinely "hairy", so much the better.
*** *** ***
Tempt the Hand of Fate and it'll give you the "finger"!