Mon, Jun 17, 12:46 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 05 3:36 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Clear your DazTmp folder - delete unused shaders and objects too

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Thu, 08 November 2007 at 6:32 AM · edited Sun, 16 June 2024 at 10:38 AM

Hi All, There have been some recent threads here and at the DAZ forum about file corruption due to contents left in your DazTmp folder. It doesn't happen to everybody but has happened to some. So, be safe and periodically delete the contents of this folder. ---- On a separate note, prior to rendering or saving a file, go to Edit => Remove Unused Masters => Shaders and Objects. Doing this will prevent occasional Carrara crashes or strange render behavior. Happy rendering! Mark

stardust ( ) posted Thu, 08 November 2007 at 10:23 AM

Thanks for the tips Mark :)

Also, to speed up removing your Unused Masters and Shaders, you can assign hot keys so you don't have to go through the menus everytime you need to clear them.

Go to File, Preferences, Keyboard Shortcuts, then select Application for Context, and
Edit for Category.  You can then input the shortcuts you like (I use the numbers 1 and 2)
and assign. 

Have fun!

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Thu, 08 November 2007 at 10:25 AM

Yep, that's what I do too - shortcut keys. You just have to know where to look for it first though!

Max_Hattuer ( ) posted Thu, 08 November 2007 at 10:16 PM

Thanks for the advice, Discoseven.

I knew about the temp folders and the object/shader removal, but have yet to actually customize my hotkeys (or anything else, lol, I'm running 'out of the box')

Both of these things, in my (limited) experience are very important, and I am thankful to be part of a community wherein people help each other.

Thanks, both of you.

Lendorel ( ) posted Sat, 10 November 2007 at 10:04 PM

Beyond file corruption issues, clearing out the DazTmp folders can free up a LOT of disk space...

The other day, I was trying to figure out why 5 gigs of free space on my hard drive had turned into "Your Hard Drive is dangerously low on space" message from XP... (I was down to 90 Megs!!)  Turned out my Daztmp directory was sitting there with some seriously large files... deleted them and all's well.  Now after every session of Carrara, I pop in there and delete.

The clear unused shaders and objects thing was new to me.  Extra handy since every time you apply a new mat pose to a model, it builds new shaders and leaves the other ones behind. 

Thanks for the advice!

Kunshouling ( ) posted Wed, 21 November 2007 at 4:57 AM

Er, call me stupid, but where do I locate the daztmp files?

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Wed, 21 November 2007 at 7:28 AM · edited Mon, 26 November 2007 at 6:29 AM

Not a stupid question. Why would you even need to know where it was if this little issue hadn't popped up? ;-) To find the exact location on your system, open Carrara's preferences and go to the Imaging/Scratch Disk options. You'll see the path listed in that window. Mark

MyCat ( ) posted Sun, 25 November 2007 at 9:40 PM

After clearing the DazTmp folder, don't forget to empty the recycle bin too! Not that I've ever forgotten... he he.

PhilW ( ) posted Mon, 15 December 2008 at 7:51 AM

I didn't know about the DazTmp folder - I just freed 18GB on my hard drive!! Thanks for the tip!

ren_mem ( ) posted Mon, 15 December 2008 at 8:04 PM

No need to think outside the box....
    Just make it invisible.

restif ( ) posted Thu, 18 December 2008 at 7:30 AM

Thanks for the tips, this will definitely help (I added gigabytes in the temp folder, never knew it was there!), the hotkey tip is great, thanks!

sparrownightmare ( ) posted Wed, 21 January 2009 at 8:35 PM

Is one of the problems it causes anerror when you try to change the master shader of an object and an other similar error with the shading module cpp file?

sparrownightmare ( ) posted Fri, 13 February 2009 at 4:45 PM

Quote - Is one of the problems it causes anerror when you try to change the master shader of an object and an other similar error with the shading module cpp file?

Update.

I keep getting this stupid error.  Why put an error message in to pop up if it tells you nothing about what actually went wrong...  Sorry, but error messages like this cheese me off to no end.  I still can't change the shader for a shading domain without it giving me this error.

UVDan ( ) posted Wed, 30 December 2009 at 12:30 AM
Forum Moderator

Where is the DAZ Tmp folder located?

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms!!

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Wed, 30 December 2009 at 9:37 AM

--To find the exact location on your system, open Carrara's preferences and go to the Imaging/Scratch Disk options. You'll see the path listed in that window.--

Mark

UVDan ( ) posted Wed, 30 December 2009 at 11:22 AM
Forum Moderator

Thanks.

Free men do not ask permission to bear arms!!

ThetaLov ( ) posted Sun, 07 February 2010 at 8:25 PM

Holy frijoles, I just had 40 GB of space in my Tmp folder!  O.O  Not to mention I almost had to redo one of my recent pictures because of corruption.  I couldn't understand it until now.

bows to the almighty Mark  I really ought to visit these forums more often.

Survive Entertainment

• Exclusive Artwork!

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.