Mon, Jun 17, 1:27 AM CDT

Renderosity Forums / Carrara

Welcome to the Carrara Forum

Forum Coordinators: Kalypso

Carrara F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jun 05 3:36 am)

Visit the Carrara Gallery here.

Carrara Free Stuff here.

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Allowed file types for messages

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Mon, 14 August 2006 at 8:36 PM · edited Tue, 11 June 2024 at 11:15 PM

Hi everybody, During this whole PHP conversion that Renderosity has been going through, I think everybody has noticed that attaching .car or .zip files no longer works in the Carrara forums. Here is a list of currently allowed file extensions: .doc,.xls,.ppt,.pps,.gif,.jpg,.jpeg,.png,.psp,.psd,.mp3,.mp4,.mov,.wmv,.m4a,.m4v (these are maxed out at 200KB) So, you may ask yourself, "Why, just those?" Two reasons: 1) It looks like it's to help protect Renderosity's backside (and consequently us users too) from openly being able to, um, "trade" 3d content files that may have copyright restrictions that are either accidently forgotten or intentionally ignored; and 2) to prevent the uploading of large files that can easily fill up a server's capacity. Just thought you'd like to know. Mark Bremmer Carrara Forum Coordinator

ialora ( ) posted Tue, 15 August 2006 at 12:11 AM

Not to mention viruses and such could be uploaded since attachments are not checked.  :scared:

Irene-

Hoofdcommissaris ( ) posted Tue, 15 August 2006 at 2:04 AM

And those punks that want to exchange, like, a shader and do fancy stuff with the extensions (like changing .cbr to .doc), are they punished?

ialora ( ) posted Tue, 15 August 2006 at 2:36 AM

I suppose you could do that as long as the file wasn't over 200kb.   What's wrong with just posting a link to the file or using the Free Stuff area so it can be shared with users who perhaps didn't see your posting? 

Irene-

Hoofdcommissaris ( ) posted Tue, 15 August 2006 at 2:48 AM

Nothing wrong with that. But filling the freestuff area with single .cbr files one throws together for a fellow forum member, to show how to get sub surface scattering acting like it is milk or something, is not what it is meant for I think. Especially with Carrara-specific file types it is nice to have a way to attach them to the comment. Of course there is always places like www.yousendit.com to 'park' the files, but most of them only are free if you want stuff stored for a short time. It is good to know there is a way to handle this type of small file exchange.

ialora ( ) posted Tue, 15 August 2006 at 3:17 AM · edited Tue, 15 August 2006 at 3:23 AM

Yeah, you probably don't want a bunch of single example files in free stuff.  Although, I have seen such sample/example items for other apps.  Of course, a collection of examples would be better, especially if a turorial went with it.  If they're just to show a quick example, you could e-mail them to eachother.  There are numerous free hosting sites around if you have an e-mail only account.  Yes, you typically have to put up with commercials on those.  If you're only grabbing a small file, it shouldn't be too annoying.  Also, if you need webspace, frequently some fellow member will host files for you.  Heck! I've got webspace that I'm not doing anything with.  I can host some files for a time if someone needs it.

Irene-

MarkBremmer ( ) posted Tue, 15 August 2006 at 5:55 AM

Agreed, it's a little of pain for the reasons you mention Hoof. However, .zipping a file and then changing the suffix to .doc should work ok though. At least it did when I tried it out.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.