Forum: La Femme 2

Subject: Dynamic Clothes WIPs for La Femme 2

odf opened this issue on Dec 02, 2023 · 211 posts

odf posted Sat, 02 December 2023 at 1:40 AM

Since I enjoy sharing things I'm working on, I thought why not make a thread for it (now that we can).

I made a simple crop top to go with the pinafore I've already showed in the other thread and thought I might call the two together the "bookworm" outfit. Maybe I'll add some more items to it if inspiration strikes...

-- I'm not mad at you, just Westphalian.

SIGASIGA posted Sat, 02 December 2023 at 11:37 AM

hi,

you are very creative and productive.

Would you agree to share your knowledge and experience of making clothes.

For my part, I have projects in progress with Clo3d/Marvelous Designer on the LFpro and LF2 avatar but the import into Poser in OBJ is not always satisfactory with conformal clothing.

Good idea for the thread.

Rhia474 posted Sat, 02 December 2023 at 1:40 PM

Ah, I downloaded the zip for the dynamic adventurer clothes and they aren't showing up as props...are there files missing from the zip, like OBJ?

SIGASIGA posted Sat, 02 December 2023 at 2:19 PM

hello,

.pp2 files are .obj files !

Make a copy in a different directory and manually change pp2 to obj !

Unfortunately for the adventurer files they do not have a UV map to create your own textures !

odf, could you put the UV maps with the .obj ?

THANKS

hborre posted Sat, 02 December 2023 at 2:21 PM

They show up perfectly fine on my system.

Rhia474 posted Sat, 02 December 2023 at 2:23 PM

I have no Geometries folder AT ALL in the download.

hborre posted Sat, 02 December 2023 at 2:26 PM

SIGASIGA posted at 2:19 PM Sat, 2 December 2023 - #4478499

hello,

.pp2 files are .obj files !

Make a copy in a different directory and manually change pp2 to obj !

Unfortunately for the adventurer files they do not have a UV map to create your own textures !

odf, could you put the UV maps with the .obj ?

THANKS

He created all the textures procedurally.  Rather smart to cut down on the texture mapping overhead and file size.

Rhia474 posted Sat, 02 December 2023 at 2:46 PM

That was weird. I had to unlink and re-link my LF2 runtime for it to even show up. I never had that before. Bizarre.

hborre posted Sat, 02 December 2023 at 3:29 PM

Refreshing the Library should have taken care of that.

Rhia474 posted Sat, 02 December 2023 at 4:31 PM

Ikr?

odf posted Sat, 02 December 2023 at 5:03 PM

SIGASIGA posted at 11:37 AM Sat, 2 December 2023 - #4478494

hi,

you are very creative and productive.

Thanks! I often take items I made earlier and modify them, so that helps with the productivity. For example, the pinafore is based on a pleated shirt I made for Antonia. The crop top started as a shortened version of the adventurer shirt that I cut the arms off.

Would you agree to share your knowledge and experience of making clothes.

Happy to, but I'm not really an expert. I just make stuff up as I go, and sometimes it seems to work. One important tip that YouTube taught me is to always hem your clothing items. Hems give stability and make the cloth fall much nicer, and in addition give it a bit of a 3d edge. There's a little trick to constructing hems that work well in Poser dynamic clothes, which I may make a separate post about later.

For my part, I have projects in progress with Clo3d/Marvelous Designer on the LFpro and LF2 avatar but the import into Poser in OBJ is not always satisfactory with conformal clothing.

Conformal is of course an entirely different story that I know nothing about.

odf posted Sat, 02 December 2023 at 5:17 PM

@rhia474 I see that you've got the outfit working now. That's a relief.

Just a quick summary to address points that came up in the discussion:

- I save my clothing items as props. In P12 and P13, the default seems to be that the geometry then gets embedded into the .pp2 files, so there are no separate .obj's and nothing in the geometry folder.

- I do indeed use procedural textures for all my clothes. In part that's because I'm too lazy to search for fitting textures or draw my own, but it also makes it easy to modify colors, rescale etc. after the fact.

- That said, I take care to have good UVs. These are automatically generated by Marvelous Designer, but it's a bit temperamental about it, so I have to apply some tricks to make all the pattern pieces have the same scaling, get the UVs to match along certain seams and such things.

- The prop's geometry is indeed stored within the .pp2 in .obj format, but that does not make a .pp2 the same as an .obj. If some software accepts it as such, I would not trust that software much. :-) Probably best to export from Poser if an .obj is what you want.

- I do not provide UV templates with my items. Is that what you were looking for, @SIGASIGA? If I find an easy way to produce them with either MD or Blender, I'm happy to provide templates with my future clothing items.

odf posted Sun, 03 December 2023 at 12:05 AM

By popular demand, I've started on a long-sleeved version of the "adventurer" shirt.

jroulin posted Sun, 03 December 2023 at 6:31 AM

odf posted at 5:17 PM Sat, 2 December 2023 - #4478515

- I do not provide UV templates with my items. Is that what you were looking for, @SIGASIGA? If I find an easy way to produce them with either MD or Blender, I'm happy to provide templates with my future clothing items.

You can download the free UVMapper. This will alow you to load the obj files and save an UV template in bmp format.

odf posted Sun, 03 December 2023 at 3:22 PM

jroulin posted at 6:31 AM Sun, 3 December 2023 - #4478524
You can download the free UVMapper. This will alow you to load the obj files and save an UV template in bmp format.
That's good to know. I think a script that exports UV templates directly from Poser would be neat, but I don't want to be the one who writes it. :-)

hborre posted Sun, 03 December 2023 at 4:23 PM

It depends on how the UV maps are laid out when the app opens the OBJ.  If the layout is messy, it may need to be rearranged to accept texture maps.

jancory posted Sun, 03 December 2023 at 5:30 PM

the uv layouts aren't messy at all; in fact they're very nicely laid out like sewing patterns.  the problem is some of the uv's are out-of-range for UVMapper.  for example here's a screenshot of the Adventurer shirt in Hex,  uv map lands in the quadrant above.  there's a way to fix that in the material room but i don't remember how.

lost in the wilderness

Poser 13, Poser11,  Win7Pro 64, now with 24GB ram

ooh! i guess i can add my new render(only) machine!  Win11, I7, RTX 3060 12GB

My Freebies

odf posted Sun, 03 December 2023 at 5:39 PM

Yes, for the adventurer outfit I put the UVs for each item into a separate tile so I could see the layout better. Poser has been able to handle that since I can remember, as is pretty much any modern 3d software. If I remember correctly, there's a setting in the texture map node, which should be set to tiled. Will check after work.

Normally, I develop each clothing item separately, so everything's in the default tile.

ETA: if the multiple tiles are a problem to some, I can try to remember not to do that in future items.

jancory posted Sun, 03 December 2023 at 5:51 PM

like you said, it's not a problem for poser.  just for uvmapper & related uv readers that can't see beyond the default tile. 

lost in the wilderness

My Freebies

odf posted Sun, 03 December 2023 at 6:09 PM

jancory posted at 5:51 PM Sun, 3 December 2023 - #4478558

like you said, it's not a problem for poser.  just for uvmapper & related uv readers that can't see beyond the default tile. 

Yup! Well, if folks still use the ancient free UVMmapper and related UV readers, I'll keep that in mind for the future. As I said, using multiple tiles during development is just a small convenience for me, nothing essential.

jroulin posted Mon, 04 December 2023 at 3:32 AM

jancory posted at 5:30 PM Sun, 3 December 2023 - #4478556

the uv layouts aren't messy at all; in fact they're very nicely laid out like sewing patterns.  the problem is some of the uv's are out-of-range for UVMapper.  for example here's a screenshot of the Adventurer shirt in Hex,  uv map lands in the quadrant above.  there's a way to fix that in the material room but i don't remember how.

Hex is also a part of my workflow. I really love that software.

jancory posted Mon, 04 December 2023 at 5:54 AM

haha, not only use hex & ancient uvmapper but even used kaweki's equally ancient (2011) PropViewer to strip out the objs.....old tech is great sometimes.

jroulin---i have your sim toolkit & am having trouble getting my sims to save correctly for LF2. the collision thinks she's LF, not LF2 and fails. i've been editing the geom pp2s by hand to make them work. is there a trick i'm missing to making your tool see LF2 instead of LF?

lost in the wilderness

My Freebies

jroulin posted Mon, 04 December 2023 at 7:03 AM

Yes there is something to do but only on my side. I still need to submit a ticket here so that they add the update I did on the code. I was more concentrating on my Dynamic Clothing Toolbox making clothing for LaFemme2 those last time.

jancory posted Mon, 04 December 2023 at 7:36 AM

thank you so much, love your tool! -jan-

lost in the wilderness

My Freebies

jroulin posted Tue, 05 December 2023 at 3:20 AM

jancory posted at 7:36 AM Mon, 4 December 2023 - #4478574

thank you so much, love your tool! -jan-

Happy to know you like it. :-)

Tipol posted Tue, 05 December 2023 at 12:44 PM

I also use hexagon for modeling but for UVs I use RoadKill and UVMapper to be able to keep the material domains. I love this outfit you made.

odf posted Thu, 07 December 2023 at 4:36 AM

Testing some socks that I plan to include with the bookworm outfit (bikini not included).

odf posted Fri, 08 December 2023 at 9:43 PM

I think I'm zeroing in on the style I want for the "bookworm" outfit, but now I'm considering adding a shrug, as well. Always one thing more... :grin: (Also debating whether I should make the top a tad longer.)

Rhia474 posted Fri, 08 December 2023 at 10:04 PM

Awww, adorable! A shrug for when it's cold in the library, yisss!

odf posted Sat, 09 December 2023 at 2:25 AM

The feeling when the librarian comes back from the archives with just the volume you were looking for...

I really need to find myself a library scene to go with this outfit. :grin:

Rhia474 posted Sat, 09 December 2023 at 9:24 AM

That is SO sweet! And I think there are several library scenes on the market here, yes.

Afrodite-Ohki posted Sat, 09 December 2023 at 3:33 PM

I waaants it!!! <3

- - - - - - 

Feel free to call me Ohki!

Poser Pro 11, Poser 12 and Poser 13, Windows 10, Superfly junkie. My units are milimeters.

Persephone (the computer): AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, RTX 3070 GPU, 96gb ram.

odf posted Sat, 09 December 2023 at 3:58 PM

Aww, thanks you two! Soon now, I think.

odf posted Sun, 10 December 2023 at 6:37 PM

While I'm working out the last kinks, here's a handy tip for simulating skirts. Probably common knowledge, but bares, pardon, bears repeating for the benefit of slow-learning newcomers like me:

To avoid unintended panty-shots in certain poses, as shown on the left, it can be useful to spread the knees wider apart mid-simulation and bring them back in later. This collects and entraps a larger amount of fabric between the legs that can subsequently be pulled down by gravity to cover up the unfashionable underwear.

(LF2 is looking very serious here because indecent exposure is a serious matter.)

odf posted Sun, 10 December 2023 at 8:05 PM

Given that I’ve unintentionally set myself onto an alphabetical trajectory with the outfit names, and considering the time of the year, I’m wondering if my next outfit should be a caroller. Modern of course, none of that old-timey costume nonsense. I’m thinking tights, knee-high skirt, big warm sweater, scarf, something along those lines. Maybe even some mittens and a cozy hat if I can pull those off. What do y’all think?

Of course that’s the version for the northern hemisphere. For the southern hemisphere, refer to my bikini set already in FreeStuff. :grin:

hborre posted Sun, 10 December 2023 at 9:00 PM

If you are thinking about a caroler you had better start working on something now.  Christmas Eve is only 2 weeks away.

odf posted Sun, 10 December 2023 at 9:04 PM

hborre posted at 9:00 PM Sun, 10 December 2023 - #4478919

If you are thinking about a caroler you had better start working on something now.  Christmas Eve is only 2 weeks away.

I trust that, if necessary, I can come up with another C-word that goes with cozy clothes. :wink:

odf posted Mon, 11 December 2023 at 7:58 PM

I made some tights for the prospective cozy/cold-weather/caroler-not-stopping-until-at-least-epiphany outfit.

But they don't have footsies yet.

hborre posted Mon, 11 December 2023 at 8:47 PM

Nice so far.

odf posted Mon, 11 December 2023 at 11:33 PM

Et voila, tights with footsies...

Now that I've got that bug out of my brain, back to packaging up the "bookworm" outfit.

odf posted Sat, 16 December 2023 at 10:50 PM

I made a promo render. "Dynamic bookworm outfit for LaFemme 2 - coming to a bookshelf near you, possibly in time for the solstice."

Rhia474 posted Sat, 16 December 2023 at 11:10 PM

That is so cool!!

odf posted Sun, 17 December 2023 at 4:34 PM

It's a good thing I used this pose for the render, with the arms all down and backward like that. The shrug slid right off her shoulders the first time because I had forgotten to pin it in place.

I'm thinking the default will be for the straps and the shrug to be held in place with the option to turn that off for special effects. I'm using single-triangle groups as pins, just add to or remove from the constrained group in the cloth room.

odf posted Mon, 18 December 2023 at 2:36 AM

The bookworm outfit has been submitted for FreeStuff, so I think I'm now legally permitted to work on the next one. :grin:

The tights and skirt look like a good start to me. Top added for modesty, choker because that's how she rolls.

Afrodite-Ohki posted Mon, 18 December 2023 at 6:32 AM

You're on fire, odf!

- - - - - - 

Poser Pro 11, Poser 12 and Poser 13, Windows 10, Superfly junkie. My units are milimeters.

jroulin posted Tue, 19 December 2023 at 3:42 AM

odf posted at 2:36 AM Mon, 18 December 2023 - #4479226

The bookworm outfit has been submitted for FreeStuff, so I think I'm now legally permitted to work on the next one. :grin:

Think I will do a simulation script as soon as I can get The bookworm. 

jroulin posted Wed, 20 December 2023 at 3:13 PM

The Sim is uploaded and waiting for aproval

odf posted Wed, 20 December 2023 at 5:03 PM

Thanks, jroulin!

Miss B posted Wed, 20 December 2023 at 9:31 PM

Afrodite-Ohki posted at 6:32 AM Mon, 18 December 2023 - #4479233

You're on fire, odf!

He sure is, and I just added it to my collection of his freebies for LF2.  :grin:

OK . . . Where's my chocolate?

Butterfly Dezignz

jroulin posted Thu, 21 December 2023 at 2:27 PM

And the sim script for the Bookworm is approved now.

odf posted Thu, 21 December 2023 at 9:09 PM

Please bear with me while I try to make something resembling a procedural knit pattern.

odf posted Fri, 22 December 2023 at 8:01 PM

Some progress with the knit pattern. Not quite there yet, but getting a bit closer, I think.

odf posted Sat, 23 December 2023 at 7:01 PM

I think this is where I'll leave it for now. Rejoice, no more boring posts showing off procedural bump maps. :grin:

odf posted Sun, 24 December 2023 at 6:41 PM

Here's a vaguely seasonal color variant. Merry solstice-adjacent festivity of your choice, everyone!

Afrodite-Ohki posted Mon, 25 December 2023 at 3:16 PM

That's amazing for procedural! Does it take too long to render?

- - - - - - 

odf posted Mon, 25 December 2023 at 3:42 PM

Afrodite-Ohki posted at 3:16 PM Mon, 25 December 2023 - #4479577

I haven't measured, but it didn't feel unusually slow to me. Then again, I use procedural textures a lot.

Miss B posted Mon, 25 December 2023 at 4:07 PM

odf posted at 6:41 PM Sun, 24 December 2023 - #4479546

Here's a vaguely seasonal color variant. Merry solstice-adjacent festivity of your choice, everyone!

I'm loving it!!  :grin:

Butterfly Dezignz

odf posted Mon, 25 December 2023 at 4:24 PM

Speaking of procedural textures: the more of the skin I cover with opaque clothing, the less subsurface scattering needs to be computed. So, unless the procedural textures on the clothes were horrendously complicated, I wouldn't even be too surprised if it rendered faster. :grin:

That said, if it's a concern, one could always bake the textures and compare render times between the procedurals and the baked image maps.

Bastep posted Tue, 26 December 2023 at 2:22 AM

odf posted at 6:41 PM Sun, 24 December 2023 - #4479546

That's really good.

Afrodite-Ohki posted at 3:16 PM Mon, 25 December 2023 - #4479577

I use procedural textures mainly for makeup and lip colors. I can't really notice a difference in render times compared to image textures. But since I almost exclusively use Cycles nodes, the messed up working window is not really a pleasure.

Greetings and Merry Christmas
Stephan

LapinDeFer posted Tue, 26 December 2023 at 7:30 AM

I am very curious about the knitwear procedural (i.e. a screenshot would be welcome...)

I have recently begun importing textures from Blender to Poser Cycles, and it has worked relatively well. A few stumbling blocks, though, including the different coloramps between Poser and Blender.

odf posted Tue, 26 December 2023 at 6:08 PM

LapinDeFer posted at 7:30 AM Tue, 26 December 2023 - #4479595

I am very curious about the knitwear procedural (i.e. a screenshot would be welcome...)

Well, it's pretty messy, but here's the big compound node that I add noise to taste to and plug into the bump channel. For visualization purposes, the scale value is much lower here than in a real fabric. Knit uses three kinds of compound nodes in turn, Tiling, Bump and Zigzag. Tiling converts uv-space to allow for repeating patterns. It has two scale inputs and an angle. I later notices I needed an offset as well, which is why currently only one of the Tiling nodes has that (call it V2). The bump node makes a bump, it's basically the function x * (1 - x) with a bit of tweaking. It's used to make threads and ribs. Zigzag creates a mask to distinguish between thread directions. It's mostly made up of modulo operations.

The color variations are just done with cloud nodes, which I don't think I need to show.

If we go into any more detail, we should probably move it to one of the general Poser forums.

odf posted Tue, 26 December 2023 at 10:35 PM

More cozy things! I think all of these probably still need some work, but as collection I think it works quite well. I'm still debating also giving her some mittens, though. :grin:

Miss B posted Tue, 26 December 2023 at 11:19 PM

Ohhh, I like the idea of mittens.  :slight_smile:

Butterfly Dezignz

odf posted Wed, 27 December 2023 at 2:01 AM

Well, I'll have a go at the mittens, then.

Coarse knits work quite decently, as well, I've found. Just plug the knit procedural into the displacement instead of the bump and increase the subdivision level a bit.

LapinDeFer posted Wed, 27 December 2023 at 5:42 PM

This is brilliant. I'll have a stab at it tomorrow and see how it works.

odf posted Sat, 30 December 2023 at 12:11 AM

Folks, I'd like to run something by you: given that I've achieved workable dynamic tights and knee socks for LF2, and that dynamic socks that go higher than the knee seem to be really tricky - Antonia's needed a special conforming figure to collide with instead of the toes - I'm considering releasing a pair of tights with additional material zones so that thigh-highs can be obtained by just making some of those zones invisible. The question then is, as usual, how many zones. More provide extra flexibility, but also require a bit more work when juggling material settings. I'm thinking something like in this image might make sense: 

Each color here represents a separate zone, and each connected region that's left white in between is of course also its own zone, so we'd have ten in total. Red, green and blue make cuffs for various sock lengths, so in this case three different lengths would be supported. More zones could always be added, but since the tights have a very regular square grid (except for the toes and heels), that should also be fairly easy to do in the Poser group editor. On the flip side, the green and/or blue zone could be left out, making for easier handling out of the box.

Thoughts?

odf posted Sat, 30 December 2023 at 12:48 AM

Come to think of it, the sock height can be much more easily and seamlessly manipulated in the material room, especially if I allow myself to use Cycles node. So, ignore all my babbling up there about zones (wipes egg off face).

Will show some examples once I've made the shaders.

odf posted Sat, 30 December 2023 at 2:46 AM

I had a go at those tights-based socks with parametrized lengths. Works like a charm. :grin:

Afrodite-Ohki posted Sat, 30 December 2023 at 7:33 AM

Ooooh that's very cool and useful!

- - - - - - 

hborre posted Sat, 30 December 2023 at 9:02 AM

Agree.

Rhia474 posted Sat, 30 December 2023 at 10:01 AM

Hmm, your pinafore's right strap bunches pretty drastically on the breast on my simulation no matter what I do. See below. I tried different cloth settings, same result. LF2 is not morphed, this is her default shape. Excuse the rough render.

Any advice?

randym77 posted Sat, 30 December 2023 at 11:16 AM

I ran into that issue, too. I think there must be some intersection between the pinafore and the crop top. Perhaps over her nipples. It's not as bad on the other side, but you can see a dent there.

I found scaling the crop top to 98% in frame 1, and reducing the collision depth fixed it.

Rhia474 posted Sat, 30 December 2023 at 11:23 AM

Cool, I will try that, thanks so much!

hborre posted Sat, 30 December 2023 at 12:18 PM

I wonder if there is some collision with the Breast Control Chips.

Rhia474 posted Sat, 30 December 2023 at 12:33 PM

Ugh, the collision depth change bunches it up even more. I will try without that.

Rhia474 posted Sat, 30 December 2023 at 12:48 PM

Nope, same. There must be something with the breast chips. Anyone else experiences this?

randym77 posted Sat, 30 December 2023 at 1:00 PM

hborre posted at 12:18 PM Sat, 30 December 2023 - #4479780

I wonder if there is some collision with the Breast Control Chips.

Unchecking those doesn't fix the problem. Also, there' s a similar spot in back, where it looks like there's intersection between the pinafore straps and the crop top.

Just in case...I meant the collision depth for the crop top. Basically, the idea is to make it smaller/fit tighter. It's quite loose in the default setting.

It's interesting to see how the straps look without the crop top. (I ran the sims, then hid the crop top.)

You can see the left side also had the issue, even though it doesn't crumple as much as the right.

randym77 posted Sat, 30 December 2023 at 1:03 PM

And here's the spot in back.

RedPhantom posted Sat, 30 December 2023 at 1:57 PM Site Admin

Loading just the top and pinafore, and changing the color of the straps for contrast I get this before any simulation

There's some poke-through of the straps with the top. It also appears that the straps are 2 sided along the edge to give them thickness. That can cause problems with simulations too

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

randym77 posted Sat, 30 December 2023 at 2:07 PM

I didn't scale the crop top this time. Crop top collision offset is 0.4, collision depth is 0.1.

For it's 0.3 for both collision depth and collision offset for the pinafore, which I think is what odf recommended.

I also changed the parent of both clothing items to "universe." IME, dynamic clothing works better if it's not parented. Unless it ends up on the floor, I don't parent it to the figure.

There are still dimples in the straps, but the spikes are gone.

randym77 posted Sat, 30 December 2023 at 2:13 PM

The first time I ran the sim, the crop top ended up outside the straps. I think because it comes in parented to the body of the figure, and so does the pinafore. Meaning they automatically collide with each other if you pick LF to collide with.

jancory posted Sat, 30 December 2023 at 2:21 PM

the 'dimples' in the front look like the constrained verts on the pinny straps.  odf put them there to keep the straps from sliding off.  

lost in the wilderness

My Freebies

randym77 posted Sat, 30 December 2023 at 2:48 PM

So maybe unconstraining those would fix it? Maybe constrain them at the top instead.

randym77 posted Sat, 30 December 2023 at 3:02 PM

Yes, removing the constrained groups fixes the problem. The poke-through at the nipples doesn't matter; running the sim fixes that.

But I understand why he put the constrained groups there. The straps tend to slide to the sides of the boobs otherwise.

odf posted Sat, 30 December 2023 at 3:04 PM

Yep, the crumbling is due to the constrained verts that keep the straps from sliding off her breasts. The higher the collision thickness (Is that the correct term? I don't have Poser open right now.), the more crumbling. I've found that in most poses, the straps will stay on the shoulders even if those pins are removed. They'll just not stay on top of the nipples.

odf posted Sat, 30 December 2023 at 3:08 PM

It might be helpful to pull the straps a bit further away from the area in question before starting the simulation, either by scaling or using the morph brush, but I haven't tried that yet. General advice when using morphs with simulations: turn the morph off after simulating (or set it to zero on the final frame), otherwise things will look weird.

jroulin posted Sat, 30 December 2023 at 3:15 PM

Did you try the free simulation script I made for the set? I used different colision setings and if you want to see them simply run the sim ones so that they are loaded in the cloth room.

Rhia474 posted Sat, 30 December 2023 at 3:16 PM

As i said, my LF was entirely body unmorphed. There was nothing to set to zero.

odf posted Sat, 30 December 2023 at 3:34 PM

Rhia474 posted at 3:16 PM Sat, 30 December 2023 - #4479796

As i said, my LF was entirely body unmorphed. There was nothing to set to zero.

Oh, I didn't mean to imply that you had used a morph. I was just speculating that maybe morphing the strap might help with the crumbling, so I added that caveat about morphs in conjunction with simulations in case anyone wanted to try that.

odf posted Sat, 30 December 2023 at 8:02 PM

I've tried scaling up the pinafore to 102% before simulating. That seems to have worked nicely to fix the crinkling in the front with the recommended collision settings from the Readme (see image). So, that's now my "official" recommended fix, at least for the time being. :grin: With larger collision offsets, I imagine one would have to go a bit higher with the scale-up.

odf posted Sat, 30 December 2023 at 8:42 PM

The issue in the back is a different story. First of all, why is it even there? It's because when I made the "pin" group for the left breast, Poser's group editor helpfully selected an extra triangle for me that I could not see on account of it being blocked by LF2's entire body, and then I did not notice on account of not seeing it. In summary, all my fault. Apologies!

This is also in an area where the top tends to bunch up away from the skin, so the scaling approach will not necessarily work too well. My best suggestion at the moment for back views of the pinafore is to either completely clear out the constrained group or, for brave folks who speak group editor, remove the offending extra triangle. Also, turn on cloth self-intersection to minimize poke-through between the crossed straps. There's still some left in the render below, but I reckon that's in the ballpark where it can be either ignored (depending on the render) or fixed up post-simulation with the morph brush.

odf posted Sun, 31 December 2023 at 10:13 PM

In hindsight, I think it would have been better to give the pinafore a slight offset from the body to start with and make it sit on top of the top everywhere. Not only would that have avoided the problems with the constrained group, but it also makes simulations work better (I think) where the top is crunched up a bit underneath.

Well, live and learn… I’ll try to remember this lesson for future outfits.

That said, I think I might be publishing the tights/socks with the variable length materials as an item of their own now, given that they’re a bit more elaborate and could work with all kinds of other clothes.

odf posted Mon, 01 January 2024 at 2:49 AM

Of course, the whole tights-as-stockings business might be a bit of a slippery slope... :grin:

Bastep posted Mon, 01 January 2024 at 3:00 AM

Nice!

Greetings and a happy new year

odf posted Mon, 01 January 2024 at 4:59 PM

Happy New Year, Bastep, and everyone!

Just to explain why I speak of a slippery slope: it looks like it's easier to make thigh-high socks/stockings by making tights instead and then just turning the top part invisible in the material room. But what's even easier than that is making a full-length bodysuit from toes to shoulders and turning the top part of that invisible.

Miss B posted Mon, 01 January 2024 at 9:17 PM

odf posted at 4:59 PM Mon, 1 January 2024 - #4479855

. . . what's even easier than that is making a full-length bodysuit from toes to shoulders and turning the top part of that invisible.

Yes, I've seen that done over the years, and it works great.  :slight_smile:

Oh and Happy New Year to you too.  :wink:

Butterfly Dezignz

odf posted Mon, 01 January 2024 at 9:33 PM

Miss B posted at 9:17 PM Mon, 1 January 2024 - #4479863
odf posted at 4:59 PM Mon, 1 January 2024 - #4479855

. . . what's even easier than that is making a full-length bodysuit from toes to shoulders and turning the top part of that invisible.

Yes, I've seen that done over the years, and it works great.  :slight_smile:

Yeah, it would have been very surprising if I was the first person to discover that. :slight_smile:

odf posted Mon, 01 January 2024 at 11:46 PM

An unexpectedly cool result that popped up while I was building and testing modules for the fancy sock shader. I feel like she's looking like a top competitor for the 2024 Fractal Olympics. :grin:

randym77 posted Wed, 03 January 2024 at 2:02 PM

Nice. I like bodysuits with feet. (For my Poser figures. I'm too old for footie pajamas.)

odf posted Wed, 03 January 2024 at 4:31 PM

randym77 posted at 2:02 PM Wed, 3 January 2024 - #4479953

Nice. I like bodysuits with feet. (For my Poser figures. I'm too old for footie pajamas.)

It's quite nifty, if I say so myself. I think I've got a pretty decent material template for it now, and it allows me to make anything from tube tops to leg warmers. I'll probably add one for Cycles, as well, so that SuperFly users have an easier time plugging in their own materials.

odf posted Sun, 07 January 2024 at 9:50 PM

Speaking of slippery slopes... :grin:

The extra fabric here is actually counter-productive when the aim is to make stockings and tights and such. But it does make for a cute onesie that I can pull out whenever someone complains that my figures show too much skin.

odf posted Mon, 08 January 2024 at 2:10 AM

Oh, and I wanted to say thanks for the awesome new boots. I don't know how to make shoes, so finding nice ones is always exciting, and these seem to go really well with many of the clothes I've made. In fact, she seems to like them so much, she rarely takes them off. :grin:

Afrodite-Ohki posted Mon, 08 January 2024 at 7:19 AM

Hehe it's my pleasure! On the Blender conversion stuff, there's also a pair of rubber boots I intend to convert soon~~

- - - - - - 

randym77 posted Tue, 09 January 2024 at 12:04 AM

odf posted at 9:50 PM Sun, 7 January 2024 - #4480172

Speaking of slippery slopes... :grin:

The extra fabric here is actually counter-productive when the aim is to make stockings and tights and such. But it does make for a cute onesie that I can pull out whenever someone complains that my figures show too much skin.

OMG, I LOVE this!!!

odf posted Wed, 17 January 2024 at 6:00 PM

Here are the latest versions of the skirt and bodysuit together. The skirt has a new straight waistband that I like much better than the original one, and I've done a bit of shaping on the upper part of the bodysuit so that it looks better when fully visible. I'm not forgetting about the onesie, but that will have to be a separate project.

Still going back and forth about whether to make the bodysuit/tights/stockings a part of the "cozy" outfit or publish it separately.

hborre posted Wed, 17 January 2024 at 6:38 PM

So far, wonderful outfits.

odf posted Thu, 18 January 2024 at 3:36 PM

I started to work on a proper sweater that's not just a shirt with a knit pattern tacked on. Boots by elleque.

odf posted Tue, 23 January 2024 at 12:45 AM

Here I've added a reworked beanie and scarf, and a first take at some fingerless mittens. The sweater and mittens still need some detail work, but the rest might be good to go. The ear hoop is by Afrodite-Ohki, the boots as mentioned before, by elleque.

Afrodite-Ohki posted Tue, 23 January 2024 at 7:31 AM

That's looking SO GOOD~~

- - - - - - 

midinick posted Sun, 28 January 2024 at 7:42 AM

maybe a dumb question.. but can I use dynamic LF2 outfits (like from odf) on LF1 too? XD I just started to fall in love with LF1 .. the bookworm outfit ... uuuuuuh so nice an stockings.. OMG .. STOCKINGS!

jroulin posted Sun, 28 January 2024 at 10:38 AM

Well for Dynamic clothing it should be not to difficult for LaFemme2 to LaFemme. Simply load LaFemme2 and the clothing you want to port over to LaFemme. In frame 30 set the Morph Tool_LaFemmeShape at 1 that you can find in the Tools. I do not remember if this tool is available only for LaFemme2 Pro or if they are already in the base LaFemme2.

Set up a simulation and simulate. Go to frame 30 and export the clothing to a new obj file. Make sure to select only the clothing and not LaFemme2.

Delete the figure and clothing in the scene and now load LaFemme. Import your saved obj that should match now LaFemme. Note that like normal clothing if you want to wear a cloth that is fitting a child and you are an adult it will be to small for you and it will be exactly the same for your 3D figures.

odf posted Tue, 30 January 2024 at 12:41 AM

To whom it may concern, I have decided to publish the bodysuit/tights/stocking thingy as its own item with seven materials in various length presets. For the latter, I currently I have "bodysuit" (maximal length, up to the neck), "tights" (up to just below the waist), "thigh-highs" (up to just below the butt cheeks) and "over-knees" (bottom of cuff just above the knees). The top and bottom end of the visible region can be manipulated in the material room, so there are endless possibilities, but I'd like to have presets for the most commonly desired ones. Do you think my four variants cover that more or less, or are there others I definitely need to add? Leg warmers? Footless/toeless tights? Cycling suit? :grin:

Here's a sneak peek of what I call "Bodysuit-OpaqueBlack" (glasses and choker not included):

SIGASIGA posted Tue, 30 January 2024 at 1:37 AM

leg height suggestions

LapinDeFer posted Tue, 30 January 2024 at 2:10 AM

Since you have the whole body modelled, I'd suggest that you also do a pantyhose, stopping at the waist. 

odf posted Tue, 30 January 2024 at 2:20 AM

Thanks for the handy chart, SIGASIGA! I was vaguely aware of the naming but hadn't seen it summarized so nicely before.

Let me use this to explain why so far, I haven't considered going below the knees: I've already made knee high and low-cut socks for her as separate items (in the bookworm and adventurer sets), invisible does not work with this system, and with extra low cut, quarter and mid-calf, I'm not sure how often they would be used. It's really easy to fine-tune the length in the material room, so the presets are just a convenience for what I expect to be the most popular cuts and not meant to cover all possibilities.

If I add more lengths, one option would be to do either knee-high or mid-calf plus one of quarter, low-cut and extra low-cut. So, I don't know, have a vote? :grin:

odf posted Tue, 30 January 2024 at 2:22 AM

LapinDeFer posted at 2:10 AM Tue, 30 January 2024 - #4480889

Since you have the whole body modelled, I'd suggest that you also do a pantyhose, stopping at the waist. 

I do, and I'm calling that tights, as I think the British do. I don't like the word pantyhose, it gives me the heebie-jeebies.

ETA: Here's the evidence

midinick posted Wed, 31 January 2024 at 1:51 AM

jroulin posted at 10:38 AM Sun, 28 January 2024 - #4480825

Well for Dynamic clothing it should be not to difficult for LaFemme2 to LaFemme. Simply load LaFemme2 and the clothing you want to port over to LaFemme. In frame 30 set the Morph Tool_LaFemmeShape at 1 that you can find in the Tools. I do not remember if this tool is available only for LaFemme2 Pro or if they are already in the base LaFemme2.

Set up a simulation and simulate. Go to frame 30 and export the clothing to a new obj file. Make sure to select only the clothing and not LaFemme2.

Delete the figure and clothing in the scene and now load LaFemme. Import your saved obj that should match now LaFemme. Note that like normal clothing if you want to wear a cloth that is fitting a child and you are an adult it will be to small for you and it will be exactly the same for your 3D figures.

Thank you very much for your help. I will try out. At the moment my P11 is without LF2 but I will have a look. I think the tool should be available for LF2lite too.. as I read the infos on posersoftware.com.. if I didn't misunderstood it trough the language barrier. 

thank you so much for your help. 😊

midinick posted Wed, 31 January 2024 at 1:56 AM

odf posted at 12:41 AM Tue, 30 January 2024 - #4480887

Do you think my four variants cover that more or less, or are there others I definitely need to add? Leg warmers? Footless/toeless tights? Cycling suit?

:grin:

Leg warmers would be so cool! They also look great over boots 🤭

I really love your work 😍 Thank you. 😊

odf posted Wed, 31 January 2024 at 9:56 PM

Some examples of things other than tights and stockings/socks that can be created from the bodysuit. I might go and make an "Examples" folder in the material library with just one preset for each of these cuts, so folks can look up the numbers.

odf posted Wed, 31 January 2024 at 11:35 PM

Also, it turns out that the bodysuit simulates quite decently on top of the bikini if I lower the collision depth to 0.3, which means I can show off the more transparent materials at full length with no need for the nudity flag.

jroulin posted Thu, 01 February 2024 at 8:24 AM

As usual you did a great work on this set. I really like it. :-)

odf posted Fri, 02 February 2024 at 3:38 PM

Okay, the bodysuit got approved quickly and is now available in FreeStuff. Hope it'll be useful to someone.

odf posted Fri, 02 February 2024 at 7:06 PM

I’m actually wondering if for the next garment I start, I should save more of the individual stages, so I can do a retrospective of its evolution when it’s done.

jroulin posted Sat, 03 February 2024 at 8:55 AM

A free sim script for the Bodysuit is waiting for aproval. 

The idea of doing a retrospective is a very good one. It will alow to see the dificulties you can get into when making dynamic cloths.

jroulin posted Sat, 03 February 2024 at 4:08 PM

Approved

Free Simulation script for Odf "Bodysuit" outfit for LF2 (renderosity.com)

odf posted Sat, 03 February 2024 at 5:56 PM

jroulin posted at 4:08 PM Sat, 3 February 2024 - #4481209

Approved

Free Simulation script for Odf "Bodysuit" outfit for LF2 (renderosity.com)

:thumbsup:

odf posted Sun, 18 February 2024 at 7:46 PM

Here's the latest on the cozy outfit (boots, tights, glasses and earrings not included) after some improvements on the beanie, scarf and mittens. Still a tweak or three to try out, but I think this is getting close to publishable. I wonder if I should release the beanie separately, though, seeing as it's not meant to be dynamic (could be confusing otherwise, I don't know). Also, would folks be extremely keen on full hand-sock style mittens in addition to these fingerless ones? 

odf posted Mon, 19 February 2024 at 1:32 AM

Hmm, one of those tweaks I mentioned turned interesting (if you're weird in a similar way to me, otherwise probably not). Let's play a game of spot the difference. What did I change between the previous render and this one? I made two changes, one that should be relatively easy to spot, and one you'll never guess. 

(Hint: look at her wrists and shoulders.)

SIGASIGA posted Mon, 19 February 2024 at 8:06 AM

There are 2 figurines on the previous rendering and only one on the 2nd rendering !!! :o)

jancory posted Mon, 19 February 2024 at 8:34 AM

sleeves are fuller & maybe collision set closer?  looks great both ways.   scarf ends are much better now.

lost in the wilderness

My Freebies

hborre posted Mon, 19 February 2024 at 10:10 AM

Okay, time for Spring gear!

odf posted Mon, 19 February 2024 at 4:37 PM

SIGASIGA posted at 8:06 AM Mon, 19 February 2024 - #4481769

There are 2 figurines on the previous rendering and only one on the 2nd rendering !!! :o)

Got it in one! :-D

odf posted Mon, 19 February 2024 at 4:55 PM

jancory posted at 8:34 AM Mon, 19 February 2024 - #4481770

sleeves are fuller & maybe collision set closer?  looks great both ways.   scarf ends are much better now.

Yep, in the first picture the collision offset for the sweater was 1.0, in the second one it's 0.3. I didn't change the sleeves, so the fact that they appear fuller was a bit surprising to me.

Anyway, I generally hate clothes hovering over the skin, so I tend to make my collision offsets as small as I can get away with. In case of layered clothes, that does not usually work so well. Sometimes one can collide with the item of clothing underneath as well as the figure and use a moderate offset on both. But here I have pretty aggressive hemming on both the skirt's and the sweater's waist bands to make them look nice. This makes them stick to each other lice Velcro, and the sweater is no longer moving freely on top of the skirt. Depending on the pose that can look more or less okay or really bad. So, I only collide the sweater with the figure, not the skirt, and use a higher offset to make it lie on top of the skirt. That's what you see in the top picture.

Now, since AFAIK I can't use different offsets on different parts of the figure, I used a little trick for the bottom picture. I made a simple invisible girdle for LF2 that's sitting under her clothes and very close to her skin. Now I can collide with the figure at offset 0.3 and with the girdle at offset 0.7 to get the sweater on top of the skirt without the hovering sleeve effect at the wrists or the 1980s shoulder pads.

I was wondering about including the girdle in the outfit set, but I'm assuming folks who are as nitpicky as me will also be able to make their own trick collision objects. :-)

odf posted Mon, 19 February 2024 at 4:58 PM

hborre posted at 10:10 AM Mon, 19 February 2024 - #4481778

Okay, time for Spring gear!

It's still Summer here, so I'm seeing a lot of shorts and low-cut black or white tops.

Kalypso posted Mon, 19 February 2024 at 11:21 PM Site Admin

odf posted at 4:55 PM Mon, 19 February 2024 - #4481793

I was wondering about including the girdle in the outfit set, but I'm assuming folks who are as nitpicky as me will also be able to make their own trick collision objects. :-)

Including it would make for a great learning tool and maybe also get other creators to be as nitpicky as you :-)

odf posted Mon, 19 February 2024 at 11:35 PM

Kalypso posted at 11:21 PM Mon, 19 February 2024 - #4481803
odf posted at 4:55 PM Mon, 19 February 2024 - #4481793

Including it would make for a great learning tool and maybe also get other creators to be as nitpicky as you :-)

Ha! Great point, but that also means I'll have to make it conforming because for the user to have to simulate yet another item that's not even visible would be such a p.i.t.a.

jroulin posted Tue, 20 February 2024 at 8:45 AM

Not with a simulationscript. Simply make it loading together with the sweater and the user will not notice it and this item can be simulated using the full geometry as constrained.

odf posted Tue, 20 February 2024 at 7:17 PM

jroulin posted at 8:45 AM Tue, 20 February 2024 - #4481815

Not with a simulationscript. Simply make it loading together with the sweater and the user will not notice it and this item can be simulated using the full geometry as constrained.

With your script generator, is it possible to create one script that sets up the simulation properties, and another to rerun all the simulations after tweaking the pose or play with the offsets etc.?

jroulin posted Wed, 21 February 2024 at 3:29 AM

Well not really if you tweak the settings, it will keep those values. What I do in this case is deleting all the simulations and start the script again so that it is loading the simulation at the default values. That said making a script that deletes the sims should not be too difficult.

odf posted Wed, 21 February 2024 at 9:27 PM

It turns out the girdle behaves well as both an auto-generated conforming figure and a dynamic prop, so I might just include both versions and let the users and/or sim script authors decide which one they prefer.

odf posted Tue, 27 February 2024 at 12:47 AM

My apologies for dragging my feet about publishing the Cozy Outfit. I think it's now as good as it will get, and I will do so soon.

In the meantime, I thought you might like to know that Antonia is now in Poser jail for stealing LF2's bodysuit. :grin:

Solo24 posted Tue, 27 February 2024 at 1:34 PM

That fall/winter outfit would suit my WIP character Aisha so much. I had the adventurer outfit in mind when creating her. But the bookworm and the winter outfit would suit her much better i think.

odf posted Tue, 27 February 2024 at 4:09 PM

That's a great looking character. I feel honored to have inspired you with my outfits.

HunterD_aka_NotBob posted Wed, 28 February 2024 at 1:16 AM

This is a good thread to read through. Nice job odf 😎

odf posted Wed, 28 February 2024 at 4:40 PM

HunterD_aka_NotBob posted at 1:16 AM Wed, 28 February 2024 - #4482040

This is a good thread to read through. Nice job odf 😎

Thanks! Feel free to ask about my techniques and design decisions. I'm a mere dilettante, but always happy to share what I find out.

odf posted Sat, 16 March 2024 at 11:17 PM

"Something" has been submitted for FreeStuff. You are welcome to guess what it is, or help me check every five minutes whether it's been approved yet. 😅😎

jroulin posted Mon, 18 March 2024 at 4:49 PM

Hi odf, was getting you free cozy outfit for LaFemme2 and big surprise there is already an Easy sim for it included. Thanks for all your free items that are working so nicely.

odf posted Mon, 18 March 2024 at 5:10 PM

jroulin posted at 4:49 PM Mon, 18 March 2024 - #4482635

Hi odf, was getting you free cozy outfit for LaFemme2 and big surprise there is already an Easy sim for it included. Thanks for all your free items that are working so nicely.

Yes, sometimes it takes me a long time to change my ways, but not I have finally joined the easy side of the Force.

odf posted Tue, 19 March 2024 at 3:18 AM

So, I think I'll publish this flimsy little number next. Probably on its own with a few nice textures, but as always, I'm open to suggestions.

(It's based on Antonia's babydoll, but I've learned to make better frills in the meantime - or so I think - and also how to keep the straps on the shoulders during the simulation.)

odf posted Sun, 24 March 2024 at 3:41 AM

Oh darnit, I was just about ready to prepare that frilly babydoll nighty for FreeStuff, then I figured out how to get a belt working on a flowy garment (Spoiler: it's the soft decorated group). So now I guess I need to replace this test belt with a proper one that looks nice and put both versions in the package. That's why we can't have finished things. 😅

Varnayrah posted Sun, 24 March 2024 at 4:09 PM

That looks sweet with the belt! What if the belt was higher, below the breasts, so there was an empire-like silhouette?

odf posted Sun, 24 March 2024 at 4:28 PM

Varnayrah posted at 4:09 PM Sun, 24 March 2024 - #4482810

That looks sweet with the belt! What if the belt was higher, below the breasts, so there was an empire-like silhouette?

That's a great idea. I'll give that a try.

odf posted Mon, 25 March 2024 at 2:47 AM

Well, an unattached belt won't stay up above the waist, so I sewed in a new pattern piece instead and ended up with this. It does feel vaguely old-timey to me, but I couldn't pin down the period.

odf posted Mon, 25 March 2024 at 7:08 PM

I think I‘ll just publish the original babydoll as is quite soon, and take some more time to develop the belted/empire/whatever variant.

odf posted Mon, 25 March 2024 at 8:36 PM

Maybe I could add bloomers and a bonnet and call it the damsel outfit. 😂

hborre posted Mon, 25 March 2024 at 8:49 PM

That might work.  Go for it.

odf posted Tue, 26 March 2024 at 12:20 AM

The one downside of that plan is that I already had an idea for a damsel outfit, which would involve a long bodice dress, shawl and hooded cloak. Then one could do renders in which Adventurer LF2, having swashbuckled herself into a pickle, has to be rescued by Damsel LF2's razor-sharp wits and dainty, high-precision lady revolver (or dainty, high-precision lady-crossbow, if one prefers).

odf posted Thu, 28 March 2024 at 3:12 AM

Breaking news: the Easter Bunny went on long service leave this year and LF2 was hired as a substitute, so now we've got to get her an appropriate outfit ready. :grin: 

hborre posted Thu, 28 March 2024 at 9:58 AM

You don't have very much time.

odf posted Thu, 28 March 2024 at 2:25 PM

That‘s why we’re doing the ears next. If we don’t finish all the details, she can still hop along.

hborre posted Thu, 28 March 2024 at 3:04 PM

Cool!  I can't wait to see how she sports the outfit.

odf posted Thu, 28 March 2024 at 5:32 PM

Haha, don't expect too much. I'm just a lazy old geezer amusing myself and trying a new trick every now and then. In this case making a strapless dynamic outfit that stays up on her chest in both MD and Poser, which I've now achieved. But the cuffs, collar, tail  and bunny ears are also interesting little challenges. She's already got tights, and I think some high heels from elleque will work nicely with the outfit.

hborre posted Thu, 28 March 2024 at 5:33 PM

You haven't disappointed me yet.

odf posted Thu, 28 March 2024 at 8:15 PM

Thank you, thank you!

In case anyone's curious as how I made the piece above: When working in MD, I like to start from patterns I made earlier, in this case a cropped tank top and a pair of panties. I removed all the hemming, connected them into one piece, which I then simplified and shaped until I had a basic one-piece swimsuit. From that I cut off everything up top that didn't look like a bunny suit and switched to a really stiff material for the bust and the corresponding bit in the back so that they would not sag. That's the darker parts in the image. Then in Poser, I added those parts to the constrained group to keep them in place and simulated as usual. I had expected some difficulties along the way, but it actually worked like a charm.

odf posted Fri, 29 March 2024 at 4:18 AM

A first go at some bunny ears:

Tipol posted Fri, 29 March 2024 at 6:42 AM

Nice costume, what software do you work with? For my part I have been modeling with hexagon free software from Daz since the beginning and it is a totally different approach.

odf posted Fri, 29 March 2024 at 5:17 PM

Tipol posted at 6:42 AM Fri, 29 March 2024 - #4482995

Nice costume, what software do you work with? For my part I have been modeling with hexagon free software from Daz since the beginning and it is a totally different approach.

I use MarvelousDesigner (MD), and sometimes Blender, like for the ears. I've never had the skill or patience to make clothes in a regular 3d software. I've never been a Hexagon person, either. It was all Wings3d for me back in the day.

LapinDeFer posted Sat, 30 March 2024 at 1:49 AM

I love those ears - for some reason ;-)

odf posted Sat, 30 March 2024 at 2:08 AM

LapinDeFer posted at 1:49 AM Sat, 30 March 2024 - #4483044

I love those ears - for some reason ;-)

🤣

odf posted Sat, 30 March 2024 at 3:48 AM

Now she's acquired a collar, too. 

odf posted Sun, 31 March 2024 at 3:13 AM

She's in full gear now and all hyped up to lay out some eggs.

I might come back to this costume later and do some more detail work, especially if folks are keen to see it in FreeStuff at some point.

LapinDeFer posted Thu, 04 April 2024 at 2:54 AM

I would love to see the rabbit suit as a freebie!

odf posted Thu, 04 April 2024 at 5:18 PM

LapinDeFer posted at 2:54 AM Thu, 4 April 2024 - #4483230

I would love to see the rabbit suit as a freebie!

👍

odf posted Mon, 15 April 2024 at 2:34 AM

I'm getting back to this silly frilly thing which I hope to stuff into FreeStuff soon. Do you think this image here would work as a thumbnail/promo without having to tick the nudity box, or is it still too transparent?

Anim8dtoon posted Mon, 15 April 2024 at 10:29 PM Forum Moderator

odf posted at 2:34 AM Mon, 15 April 2024 - #4483609

I'm getting back to this silly frilly thing which I hope to stuff into FreeStuff soon. Do you think this image here would work as a thumbnail/promo without having to tick the nudity box, or is it still too transparent?

I think I would make it a tad bit less transparent so as to avoid checking the nudity box, just to be safe~

odf posted Mon, 15 April 2024 at 10:53 PM

Thanks, that sounds about right. Thinking about it some more, most of the materials I'll be including are rather see-through, so maybe ticking the nudity box to indicate that is not a bad idea.

jroulin posted Tue, 16 April 2024 at 8:18 AM

odf posted at 2:34 AM Mon, 15 April 2024 - #4483609

That set is very nice odf! I will surly download it as soon as it hits the free section.

LapinDeFer posted Tue, 16 April 2024 at 12:10 PM

The set is lovely. The see-thru-ness is undoubtedly part of it. But for the presentation picture a bit more obscurity might be advisable.

odf posted Tue, 16 April 2024 at 6:11 PM

I could also split the difference and use one of the original see-through materials with her bikini underneath.

LapinDeFer posted Wed, 17 April 2024 at 2:59 AM

Bingo!!

odf posted Wed, 17 April 2024 at 3:10 AM

Yeah, that works nicely, I think: 

SIGASIGA posted Wed, 17 April 2024 at 10:58 AM

it's great !

odf posted Tue, 23 April 2024 at 5:15 AM

I thought it was time I made her a dress. 

SIGASIGA posted Tue, 23 April 2024 at 5:54 AM

it looks good

LapinDeFer posted Tue, 23 April 2024 at 5:20 PM

Great dress!

odf posted Wed, 24 April 2024 at 7:02 PM

Looks like her new dress is bound to nip slips, so she may need some fashion tape (a.k.a. constraint polys) on her chest in addition to the shoulders. 

hborre posted Wed, 24 April 2024 at 7:29 PM

Love the texture.

odf posted Wed, 24 April 2024 at 8:05 PM

hborre posted at 7:29 PM Wed, 24 April 2024 - #4483978

Love the texture.

Thanks! It's my procedural knit pattern from the Cozy set, just scaled down a bit.

odf posted Wed, 24 April 2024 at 11:30 PM

From what I've tried so far, it seems the best way to prevent the nip slip is constraining the fabric at the apex of the bust, which fortuitously coincides with the location of that naughty anatomical detail that we're trying to hide. I'm also not pinning the dress to the shoulders in this particular render but may have to for other poses. In order to prevent the crumpling issues that we had in the Bookworm pinafore, I'll have to make the dress load with a bit of separation from the skin. Here I simulated that by simply scaling it to 102% at frame 1. 

odf posted Sat, 27 April 2024 at 3:51 AM

Does anyone happen to know if vertex groups (such as the constrained group used in dynamics) can be set via a pose (pp2) file? I've been trying the dress with a number of poses, and usually constraining at the shoulders and nipples work quite well, but when she's got her arms up, it looks terrible that way and not constraining any areas at all is much better. So, I was thinking having a pose to switch between the two instead of having to fiddle around in the cloth room would be neat.

I can always just try it out, but any insights would still be appreciated.

jroulin posted Sat, 27 April 2024 at 5:07 AM

Never tried it that way but from my experiments it could work. I think you should be able to add all the none constrained verttex in the default group in a pp2 file. It should overwrite the groups so no need to add a pose with it. If you do so the bad boys can also use it if they want to have nude shoulders and more. I would do two files one no constrained and one constrained so that the user can switch back to the default values and in this case the vertex needs to go in the constrained.

odf posted Sat, 27 April 2024 at 5:50 PM

jroulin posted at 5:07 AM Sat, 27 April 2024 - #4484046

Never tried it that way but from my experiments it could work. I think you should be able to add all the none constrained verttex in the default group in a pp2 file. It should overwrite the groups so no need to add a pose with it. If you do so the bad boys can also use it if they want to have nude shoulders and more. I would do two files one no constrained and one constrained so that the user can switch back to the default values and in this case the vertex needs to go in the constrained.

odf posted Sun, 28 April 2024 at 3:29 AM

Hmm, I tried it, and it didn't seem to work. I might just save two versions of the dress, a constrained one for poses with the arms down, and an unconstrained one for poses with the arms up and for when one actually wants things to slip. That should cover the most common cases, so that folks will only have to fiddle with the group editor if they want special effects.

jroulin posted Sun, 28 April 2024 at 2:46 PM

Oh just one question, how did you open the pp2 file? I remember that the UV coordinates for the different groupes are not showing if you open it with PoserED. To see what happends you need to open it with a standard text editor.

odf posted Sun, 28 April 2024 at 4:58 PM

I'm not quite sure how that's relevant, but I use vscode for all my Poser file editing needs (unless it's just simple search/replace, for which I use sed). It can collapse sections and highlight mismatched braces, so I don't need any special purpose editor.

jroulin posted Mon, 29 April 2024 at 7:11 AM

Lets make it short did you find something like that? The v 3158 ..... are the vert that are in the groupe and they needs to be present in one of those or nothing will happen

vertsGroup _constrained_

{

v 3158

v 3733

}

vertsGroup _softDecorated_

{

v 565

v 566

v 567

v 568

v 569

v 603

v 604

v 605

v 606

odf posted Mon, 29 April 2024 at 6:09 PM

I tried two things: copy the .pp2 to a .pz2 and remove everything except for the "vertGroup" data, and remove just the object geometry and leave everything else in. I'm not used to mucking about with pose files anymore, though, so there may be something obvious I may have missed. If anyone knows how to make it work, it would be great if you could share an example file, so I don't have to strain my reading comprehension. :grin:

In this specific case, it turns out that if I load the dress with the "sleeves" pulled closer together, constraining them just at the top of the shoulders works nicely for pretty much all poses except when she's straight up lying on her back.

jroulin posted Wed, 01 May 2024 at 2:41 PM

Well I will have a look at it when I find a little time. If I find something I will post it here. Maybe it is also simply not posible to do it.

odf posted Wed, 01 May 2024 at 6:20 PM

jroulin posted at 2:41 PM Wed, 1 May 2024 - #4484179

Well I will have a look at it when I find a little time. If I find something I will post it here. Maybe it is also simply not posible to do it.

odf posted Sun, 12 May 2024 at 3:41 AM

I think I'm now quite close to submitting this dress for free stuff. It's just missing thumbnails and a readme, and maybe some last minutes testing. We're at the point where unintentional slips are pretty rare, even without constraining the dress at the "apexes of the bust" (which I try to avoid because it tends to make the fabric fall less pleasantly). Here LF2 and I are testing intentional slips, though: 

odf posted Wed, 15 May 2024 at 8:15 AM

The dress is now available in free stuff.

hborre posted Wed, 15 May 2024 at 9:05 AM

Thanks.

arrow1 posted Wed, 15 May 2024 at 4:46 PM

Thank you.Cheers

Custom built computer 128 gigs RAM,2 Terrabyte hard drive, NVIDIA RTX 3060 12 Gig, Intel i9, Dual Dell Screens, 0/S Windows 11, networked to a Special 12th Generation intel I9, RTX 3060 12 Gig, Windows 11,64 gigs RAM, Dual Phillips Screens, 2 Terrabyte SSD Hard Drive plus 1 Terrabyte Hard Drive,3rd Computer intel i7,64 gigs ram, Graphics Card NVIDIA GeForce GeForce 1660 Ti 6 Gig,1 Terrabyte Hard Drive, OS Windows 10 64 Bit Dual Samsung Syncmaster 226bw Screens.Plus Lenovo Laptop 64 Bit,12 gigs Ram.Intel i7 chip.Windows 10 Pro and Ultimate. 4 x 2 Terrabyte Hard Drives and 2 x 2 Terrabyte external USB Hard drives. All Posers from 4 to Poser 2010 and 2012, 2014. Poser 11 and 12, 13, Hexagon 2.5 64 Bit, Carrara 8.5 Pro 64 bit, Adobe Photoshop CS4 Creative Production Suite. Adobe Photoshop CC 2024, Vue 10 and 10.5 Infinite Vue 11 14.5 Infinite plus Vue 15 and 16 Infinite, Vue 2023 and 2024, Plant Catologue, DAZ Studio 4.22, iClone 7 with 3DXchange and Character Creator 3, Nikon D3 Camera with several lenses.  Nikon Z 6 ii and Z5. 180-600mm lens, 24-70 mm lens with adapter.Just added 2x 2 Terrabyte portable hard drives.

parkdalegardener posted Thu, 16 May 2024 at 2:44 AM

Thank you

jancory posted Thu, 16 May 2024 at 4:41 AM

have doodled around with the new dress and it's working great, nary a nip slip yet!  thanks!

lost in the wilderness

My Freebies

odf posted Sun, 19 May 2024 at 3:52 AM

Thanks everyone! I've started to work on this little ensemble again, which erstwhile I abandoned in frustration because every little piece of it was giving me grief. It's going better now.

odf posted Mon, 20 May 2024 at 4:06 AM

Here, I've added a tiny but important detail. Who can spot it?

primorge posted Mon, 20 May 2024 at 7:47 AM

You added a button on the cuffs.

What hair is that?

odf posted Mon, 20 May 2024 at 6:20 PM

primorge posted at 7:47 AM Mon, 20 May 2024 - #4485055

You added a button on the cuffs.

Nice!

What hair is that?

It's the Femmetastic hair that came with the free version of La Femme 2. My favorite Poser hair at the moment.

odf posted Fri, 24 May 2024 at 9:17 PM

Here's a pose test with my latest version of the output. Clearly not quite there yet, but also not entirely terrible, I think. Technical note #1: in order to keep her lingerie (that Wikipedia calls a "corset teddy"; let me know if you have a better word for it) from falling off her you-know-what's, I originally put the whole bust and a corresponding strip in the back into the constrained group, but that made it look awfully stiff. So, now it's only the top "hem" that's constrained, with the remaining fabric being free to flow on top of it. I think the general strategy is quite promising: saw a piece underneath the top fabric that's close to the skin and constrained to it, as if one was using actual tape. That will only constrain the top fabric at the respective seams rather than across whole polygons like with my previous method.

odf posted Fri, 24 May 2024 at 9:34 PM

Did I write "output" up there? Obviously I meant outfit.