Saxonian Diary 51 - Castle Hohenrathen by billcody ()
Good evening all together!
And here it is: An eagle`s nest, a castle on top of these pilars. Castle Neurathen, a complex with wooden galleries, wooden watchtowers, some houses in half-timbered construction, a castle-tower. Some rooms were carved into the sandstone. A fine and intelligent construction of tubes collected the rain water from the building`s roofs into a cistern which could hold 35 000 liter water, enough for ca. 50 persons.
The whole complex should had 700 to 200 meters, that included a lot of isolated bastions, foreposts and armed galleries, most of them heavy wooden constructions. The castle`s inner core was only 200x 100 meters in diameter, it is shown at the picture.
The castle was first named in a document in 1289. It was owned by the boheminan nobles family Berken from the Duba and changed often their owner later. Some times the inhabitants here were only robbers and plundered the ships at the Elbe river. In 1530 the castle Neurathen was destroyed by fire and totally wasted. In later centuries it was only a legend - till 1720, when the first "romantic" tourism here began...
Image Comments (10)
Und ich dachte schon, dieses Modell hast du erarbeitest....warum nicht? Schön, mal wieder was von dir zu sehen. Danke für die Gratulation freu Aber dieses Modell erinnert wirklich an einen Horst (Adler!). Mein Gott, was haben die Leute damals alles vollbracht. Gruß Juli