Forum: Poser 12

Subject: Material Room Layers

Pommerlis opened this issue on Dec 24, 2023 ยท 7 posts

Pommerlis posted Sun, 24 December 2023 at 7:41 AM

This may be a bit dumb of me but I'm trying to create a material on a dress with layers in the Material Room.

Thing is, when I add a new layer it appears on top, as the first with the Base layer on the bottom of the list. So it keeps rendering only Layer 1 and not the Base layer

I don't think this is the right order and if not, can I change it. I clicked almost everywhere but I can't seem to find it. Even dragging the layers doesn't work.

Thnx in advance for your time

Pommerlis

RedPhantom posted Sun, 24 December 2023 at 11:27 AM Site Admin

Just like layers in Photoshop the top layer will cover the layers underneath unless there is some transparency. 

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

hborre posted Sun, 24 December 2023 at 12:02 PM

You will need transparency masks to render all the layers in a single image.  There is no way to rearrange the layers.

nerd posted Sun, 24 December 2023 at 3:23 PM Forum Moderator

In Poser 13 a material layer manager was added to allow rearranging layers. Along with a lot of other improvements.

Pommerlis posted Mon, 25 December 2023 at 3:12 AM

Ahh, thank you all very much. Saving for upgrading it is ;) :)

NikKelly posted Sat, 27 January 2024 at 8:58 AM

Thank you for this information.

Converting figures from other formats, such as XPS or PMX to OBJ props / mannequins or rigged FBX, I often find they 'natively' applied material layers in a different sequence to Poser_11. Usual symptom is 'poke-through' of pants / tights. Okay, there are oft-tedious work-arounds, but being able to re-sequence in _13 must be so handy...

( Have purchased upgrade from _11 to _13 but currently distracted by storms' 'mild' roof damage revealed as akin to Godzilla rampage... )

VedaDalsette posted Sat, 27 January 2024 at 1:10 PM

You can always (1) copy the Base mat, (2) paste to Preview, (3) copy your Layer 1 mat to Base mat, and (4) copy the Preview mat to Layer 1. I always use Preview as my working storage. Good luck with your roof. 

W10,Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8600K CPU @ 3.60GHz, 32.0 GB RAM, 64-bit, video GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 4GB.
Old lady hobbyist.
All visual art or fiction is "playing with dolls."