Tue, Apr 16, 4:16 PM CDT

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

Poser Technical F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Jan 21 5:53 am)

Welcome to the Poser Technical Forum.

Where computer nerds can Pull out their slide rules and not get laughed at. Pocket protectors are not required. ;-)

This is the place you come to ask questions and share new ideas about using the internal file structure of Poser to push the program past it's normal limits.

New users are encouraged to read the FAQ sections here and on the Poser forum before asking questions.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Need help rendering only the clothes/hair with model transparent

andolaurina ( ) posted Wed, 03 May 2023 at 12:31 PM · edited Fri, 12 April 2024 at 10:27 PM

I'm stuck on a project and need some help. I need to be able to render some clothing on a figure where only the clothing renders but anywhere the model would be is transparent. The only way I can think to do this is to make the model (like V4) a solid color and then knock out the color in Photoshop. In Poser using a Firefly render, I can do this by setting the model to ambient and then rendering the clothes as normal. Is there some other or better way to do this?

In DS, I can set up a "beauty" canvas in the advanced render settings for a particular article of clothing and then it will render just that item of clothing with all other otherwise visible pieces "knocked out" as transparent. Can Poser do this somehow via a render pass? I have Poser 11 & 12.

Here's are a few Poser renders of what I'm able to get Poser to do (with the part I would have to delete in Photoshop in Cyan Blue). I'd just like to get it rendered in Poser in the same style as DS's canvas option so I don't have to go the extra step of taking the image into Photoshop.

Note: The reason why I'm not just rendering the clothing and hiding the model is that I will be using a pose where the models arms overlap the clothing...and I don't want to see the back of the neckline, etc., where a neck would be. I need to have that knocked out.

Any help is much appreciated!KWJpeSVHBvxr18GVTj6n26os7nzhY94GimBNiTMH.pnglO3jDJaa40ouoUQoDP6sVlWTafmu24AFYowArBcU.pngbtz3Bs6GEElvb62rePMbfEfKuGIXu5jC7vNEzPNw.png

My RMP Store Freebies

Poser Ambassador; Poser 11 & 12 / DS4 / Metasequoia / Silo / Zbrush / realityPaint / UVMapperPro / XD 4 / Ps CC / Fw / Ai / Painter 12 / Clip Studio Paint / Comipo / Reality 3 / Windows 10 / Units = Poser Native

SpookieLilOne ( ) posted Wed, 03 May 2023 at 1:28 PM

Ok, go grab this from freestuff. https://www.renderosity.com/freestuff/items/74593/pd-soft-leather-poser-materials

PD always includes a preset called Invisible. Apply the invisible preset to all parts of the model. You should even be able to Pose the figure and once the figure is invisible the clothing will stay in that pose. Hope this helps.

*~*Jamie*~*

SpookieLilOne's Store 

SpookieLilOne's FreeStuff 

SpookieLilOne's Gallery 

"Life is just a dream on the way to death." ~The Crow: City of Angels

andolaurina ( ) posted Wed, 03 May 2023 at 1:35 PM

Hi @SpookieLilOne, thanks so much for the reply. Does that just make a material transparent? I need everything behind the figure to be knocked out as well. For example, in the hair above, the back of the hair is obscured by the figure, so I need that knocked out. I would simply remove backfacing polys but that will remove some of the polys I do need, for example in a high-low skirt. I hope I'm making sense.

My RMP Store Freebies

Poser Ambassador; Poser 11 & 12 / DS4 / Metasequoia / Silo / Zbrush / realityPaint / UVMapperPro / XD 4 / Ps CC / Fw / Ai / Painter 12 / Clip Studio Paint / Comipo / Reality 3 / Windows 10 / Units = Poser Native

ThunderStone ( ) posted Wed, 03 May 2023 at 6:08 PM

There is an easier way, I think. Go to the Hierarchy Editor window and select the actor to be made invisible. Click on the eye to hide the actor or character. Presto! It's invisible. But in the case of the hair, you may have to unhide the hair by clicking on the eye by the hair. Just a thought.

oj6uUSXCmVtmg6NbOIYiQPHz7aaC7NARIfS4RJXO.png

===========================================================

Poser: Poser 11.3 ...... Units: inches or meters depends on mood
Bryce: Bryce Pro 7.1.074
Image Editing: Corel Paintshop Pro
Renderer: Superfly, Firefly

9/11/2001: Never forget...

Smiles are contagious... Pass it on!

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday

ThunderStone ( ) posted Wed, 03 May 2023 at 6:12 PM

Here it is, rendered.

Ua3UmKLNoENcKiRSpoYLBY4A4lRCKP8iTHEST8oL.png

===========================================================

Poser: Poser 11.3 ...... Units: inches or meters depends on mood
Bryce: Bryce Pro 7.1.074
Image Editing: Corel Paintshop Pro
Renderer: Superfly, Firefly

9/11/2001: Never forget...

Smiles are contagious... Pass it on!

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday

andolaurina ( ) posted Wed, 03 May 2023 at 6:20 PM

Thank you so much, but that's still not what I need. I'm familiar with basics like hiding nodes and transparent materials.

You see how the back spaghetti straps show up? The ones that would be on the back of the body? I need those to be hidden/transparent as if the body were there. Same goes the back of the hair (inside of the skullcap. 

Basically I need to be able to render 2D Vicky naked and then lay 2D rendered hair/clothes on her for a project.

I'm thinking that there may be something that can be done in a render pass?? I don't know...

My RMP Store Freebies

andolaurina ( ) posted Thu, 04 May 2023 at 8:30 AM

Also...another thing I already tried is hiding back-facing polys in the render settings. That isn't working because (1) sometimes it doesn't knock out all the right polys and (2) sometimes it knocks out too many polys.

My RMP Store Freebies

EVargas ( ) posted Thu, 04 May 2023 at 11:33 AM · edited Thu, 04 May 2023 at 11:33 AM

Hi, maybe take a look at CyclesSurface + Holdout?
It will make a hole in the image where a mesh uses this material:

http://www.posersoftware.com/documentation/12/Poser_Reference_Manual/Materials/Nodes-Cycles/Shader.htm

Below applied to La Femme SkinHead:

ZX0p3n7gpzRT8gM20KqFk0Z7CLZWmrKOLaFV4wAf.png

Output as PNG:

E9ZadmRJfIFWuOINJ2SBsMG5BsIDdFfYoPgfHt7B.png

Store | Website

"Art exists so that reality does not destroy us" - Friedrich Nietzsche

andolaurina ( ) posted Thu, 04 May 2023 at 1:05 PM

Excellent. That's doing exactly what I'm trying to achieve but I was hoping to render it using Firefly for stylistic reasons. Any ideas?

My RMP Store Freebies

EVargas ( ) posted Thu, 04 May 2023 at 3:41 PM
No 😄

Well, I would weight the time you spend on your current workflow Vs changing materials / workflow for Superfly. The neighbor's grass is not always greener, changing might bring you new problems.

Store | Website

"Art exists so that reality does not destroy us" - Friedrich Nietzsche

andolaurina ( ) posted Thu, 04 May 2023 at 8:30 PM

Agreed, @evargas. Thanks for the help.

My RMP Store Freebies

HartyBart ( ) posted Fri, 05 May 2023 at 4:24 AM · edited Fri, 05 May 2023 at 4:26 AM

Yes, I see the problem. You want a PNG cutout from a 3D object. Here's the workflow.

1. Take a square-plane or box Primitive from the Poser Primitives folder.  Enlarge it and slide it into the mid-section of your figure and clothes, such that it hides the backs of things.

2. Make this Primitive a bright mid green color. If it's positioned correctly it will now hide the unwanted rendering of the 'back' of the hair and clothes (back straps etc).

3. Make the backdrop for the scene the same colour green.

4. Hide the body, so you just have clothes and hair.

5. Render to a big size, say 4000 pixels.

6. Use a good greenscreen 'knockout' tool on the render, of the sort the movie-makers use, to knock out all bright green in each render. This can be batched. I forget exactly what I used to use for this, but there are several. I seem to recall I may have used Primatte Chromakey for Photoshop.

7. A pro tool like Primatte will do a good job. But you may also want to defringe the result in Photoshop (Layer / Matting / Defringe). Again, the process can be made into an Action, and batched.

8. Copy the cutout to a new .PNG (with no wasted space around the edges, where the green has now become transparency) and save. You now have a cutout which shows no back-bits.

Learn the Secrets of Poser 11 and Line-art Filters.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.