Tue, Apr 23, 3:00 AM CDT

Welcome to the DAZ|Studio Forum

Forum Moderators: wheatpenny Forum Coordinators: Guardian_Angel_671, Daddyo3d

DAZ|Studio F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Apr 22 4:48 pm)

Subject: Genesis 9: Just Too Funny

RobZhena ( ) posted Wed, 21 September 2022 at 5:41 PM · edited Mon, 22 April 2024 at 7:58 PM

Back to the Future! Yes, Genesis 9 is both male and female, just like the original Genesis, which DAZ abandoned as a bad idea. But, hey, the hero figure has been perfected with stunning changes to the mesh, namely:

puTa8pvmLfYCzFPjD7aUdnERZ9WUgNrM41eEoWs1.jpeg

I still bet the breasts are a bit bigger, too.

PendraiaFaeCreations ( ) posted Wed, 21 September 2022 at 6:15 PM

I'm very excited about this. I stopped investing huge amounts in Genesis since they went back to 2 figures. I'm really pleased it's back to one.

ssgbryan ( ) posted Wed, 21 September 2022 at 6:25 PM

8k materials?

I only have a 128Gb of ram in my system.

PendraiaFaeCreations ( ) posted Wed, 21 September 2022 at 6:36 PM

You have more than I do at 32gb.

Razor42 ( ) posted Wed, 21 September 2022 at 9:12 PM · edited Wed, 21 September 2022 at 9:20 PM

Genesis 9 looks pretty awesome to me as both an artist and as a content creator. Far ahead of anything else on the market or even 'coming soon' to this sector. 

8K is nothing crazy for a modern human figure, if you want close ups or some respectable level of realism in your renders. It has always been much easier to down sample images than it is to up sample low detail/resolution images for a high quality render. Anyways Daz Studio offers variable texture compression at render time if you're worried your system isn't up to it. And for background or distant characters there is no reason to use the higher resolution maps at all. So honestly I don't see what the issue is? You don't like optional high quality details?

And as far as the breast size that you seem so concerned with ssgbryan, there is this thing called morphs in most figures these days so guess what. Breast size is variable... I know you're poking fun but it seems to me that you can't see the forest for the trees. But hey if your biggest complaint is that Genesis 9 is too detailed then...

8DfZ3I29BUwtcqbyBki1bRC43aN30DfqeaPaj4YD.jpg

ssgbryan ( ) posted Thu, 22 September 2022 at 12:42 AM

And as far as the breast size that you seem so concerned with ssgbryan

That was Rob Zhena, not me (we have the same avatar) and I am pretty sure he was being facetious.

Did they fix the shoulders? Those have been borked in every single DAZ figure since Vicky 1.

8k textures only work in a render if everything is at that level, otherwise uncanny valley, all day, every day, and it looks like hot garbage.  I don't do single image stills, so 8k isn't a plus.  My characters also keep their clothes on, so bending has never been an issue either. 

My issue is that when I have a lot of people in a scene (which is most of them - I do graphic novels); my system (8C\16T, 128Gb, & RTX 3060 12gb) slows to a crawl; 8k texture sets make it worse.  I appreciate you showing me the texture compression tab - I'd look in the documentation, but the documentation is still a complete disaster after all these years.

PendraiaFaeCreations - ram is cheap now.  The correct amount of memory is the maximum amount of memory.  BTW, how did you handle unisex clothing in G1?  I found it to be a nightmare - most of the clothing was still designed for females (zippers, pockets, buttons on the wrong side, pant length, etc).

Razor42 ( ) posted Thu, 22 September 2022 at 1:17 AM · edited Thu, 22 September 2022 at 1:18 AM
ssgbryan posted at 12:42 AM Thu, 22 September 2022 - #4445003

And as far as the breast size that you seem so concerned with ssgbryan

That was Rob Zhena, not me (we have the same avatar) and I am pretty sure he was being facetious.

My apologies, yeah the avatars threw me I guess.

Did they fix the shoulders? Those have been borked in every single DAZ figure since Vicky 1.

The shoulders haven't been an issue in the Genesis figures for a number of generations now. I would like to see an example of the issue in later generation figures?

8k textures only work in a render if everything is at that level, otherwise uncanny valley, all day, every day, and it looks like hot garbage.  I don't do single image stills, so 8k isn't a plus.  My characters also keep their clothes on, so bending has never been an issue either. 

So you never do closeups or 3/4 shots of your characters? Out of curiosity what size do you render your images? Do you aim for realism or are happy with cartoon looking renders? Wearing clothing is irrelevant to the rigging performance of a base figure.

My issue is that when I have a lot of people in a scene (which is most of them - I do graphic novels); my system (8C\16T, 128Gb, & RTX 3060 12gb) slows to a crawl; 8k texture sets make it worse.  I appreciate you showing me the texture compression tab - I'd look in the documentation, but the documentation is still a complete disaster after all these years.

Depending on what your preview window settings are the texture sets shouldn't greatly effect your scene usage much until render time. Crowded scenes always put pressure on any system, the more detailed and the more crowded the bigger the impact. There are a number ways of dealing with this such as compositing, or using lower res proxy figure or billboards. None of these devalue having a high resolution base character.

PendraiaFaeCreations - ram is cheap now.  The correct amount of memory is the maximum amount of memory.  BTW, how did you handle unisex clothing in G1?  I found it to be a nightmare - most of the clothing was still designed for females (zippers, pockets, buttons on the wrong side, pant length, etc).

Razor42 ( ) posted Thu, 22 September 2022 at 3:33 AM · edited Thu, 22 September 2022 at 3:37 AM

@ssgbryan Out of curiosity what figure do use currently, just one or do you use a few different base figures? Any chance of a link to some of your graphic novels? I know you used to do some Trekkie stuff but I haven't seen anything for a while.

kol_2005 ( ) posted Thu, 22 September 2022 at 5:35 AM · edited Thu, 22 September 2022 at 5:35 AM

It looks good on close ups, what is the render time on a 12gb NVIDIA?

Shame they cannot fix the very slow response to a figure using DForce hair, would make using it in a scene viable, or even better change the DForce to Normal?

Razor42 ( ) posted Thu, 22 September 2022 at 6:16 AM

Render time depends on a lot of variables for any figure, so it's hard to come out with a hard number.

You can modify some of the settings on any Dforce hair to make it easier to work with in a scene. A simple method is just to hide it until you are ready to render.

shedofjoy ( ) posted Thu, 22 September 2022 at 1:46 PM

No thanks, this to me is yet another pointless upgrade (if you can actually call it that). seperate eyeballs and mouth, well to non creators, not a plus at all, removing the abdomen and chest bones and renaming them as spine to be in line with other industry standards, yep that doesnt help me at all, infact that has just dumped on all my G8F clothes i wasted money on, nice. improved facial controls, really? G8.1 was a step backwards, and i see this as more of an extension of that, and 8k textures, oh hahaha, firstly some wont be able to use those (goodbye vram) and whats the point unless your stupidly close, but even then, there are close up renders of G8F with 4k skin that look better. G9 should have had soft body physics, or some better bone/bend control to give more realistic results. in my eyes they seem to be over milking a cow. or at least added some much updgraded features to Daz sudio, but what the hell am i saying, they only want upgrades that will give them more money, Be warned Daz, this would have been a perfect time bring more to the daz fold, and swing some so called lazy artists from AI generated art.

Getting old and still making "art" without soiling myself, now that's success.

ssgbryan ( ) posted Thu, 22 September 2022 at 4:42 PM

Razor42 posted at 3:33 AM Thu, 22 September 2022 - #4445017

@ssgbryan Out of curiosity what figure do use currently, just one or do you use a few different base figures? Any chance of a link to some of your graphic novels? I know you used to do some Trekkie stuff but I haven't seen anything for a while.

As far as figures, I use every single figure I have collected since Dec 2004.  I do this because vendors, by and large, don't change very much in their characters - they all look like they are closely related.  This means I need a lot of different base meshes, so I can have many different characters.

When I started working on my stories, my goal was to only use non-DAZ figures.  That didn't work out once I needed anything outside of early 20's Caucasians. The G series has a wide variety of ages and ethnicities, which is critical for what I want to do.  That means I need to use both Poser & DS figures.

My 1st plan of attack was trying to make DS useable, ($600 worth of 3rd party scripts and nearly a year of my time before I gave up) to be roughly feature compatible with Poser 11.  That went out the door when Poser 12 added multiple GPU support to their render engine.

I use DS to prep DS content for use in Poser, so I get the best of both worlds.  Thanks to Riversoft Arts, I can move all of the G figures into either a G8 or G3 base mesh - I have spent months moving figures into the mesh, figuring out how to strip the figures down to what they actually need and dumping all of the excess - and there is a LOT of stuff that simply isn't needed for what I am doing.

With my current situation, my goals have been to streamline my workflow - I had to move from OSX to Win10 - once I groked that, I started cleaning up 17 years of runtimes; getting better with Hexagon as my modeler.  The same can be said of Photoshop - I tried to get everyone in the same outfit, but in the end, it was easier to retexture all of the different outfits to a consistent standard.

I am every excited about Genesis 9 - Gen 8 content is going to get really, really cheap.

Darboshanski ( ) posted Thu, 22 September 2022 at 5:49 PM

Actually maybe it’s my older eyes but I can’t tell G8,G8.1 and now G9 figures. The G8.1 figures all are being to look the same. Same body shapes, face shapes, textures I haven’t found a a character I like. I tend to go for the characters with slight imperfections, not a super model body and maybe a bit more mature. I liked Sydney 8, I’ve got done from isourceTextures because of the imperfections in the skin, Adam Thwaits (I know I missed spelled his name) again some of his characters have small imperfections, I have two from KrashWerks they are somewhat more mature and I have two on the wishlist here. Most I find the textures too smooth and porcelain like, some makeup options have strange colors schemes and applied funny and some have eye colours I’ve never seen before and these are not Fantasy figures.

I wasn’t using DS when the Genesis figure was released so I can’t join in the excitement over G9. I most likely will not purchase this figure. I never updated to 4.20 because I still see too many complaints about the software after all this time. The PC I built has served me well I never do scenes with more then two G8 figures. If I do by chance want  to upgrade my graphics cards and more memory I have more then enough to do so. But I just can’t bring myself to do so for a hobby. 

Maybe G9 will be a wonderful figure for those that do professional work but not for a hobbyist like me. If Daz is creating content that requires a super computer the hardware cost will put it out of reach for the average hobbyist. I watched this happen with Vue (which I loved) the software just became too pricey. 

My Facebook Page

PendraiaFaeCreations ( ) posted Thu, 22 September 2022 at 6:36 PM
ssgbryan posted at 12:42 AM Thu, 22 September 2022 - #4445003

I didn't use a huge amount of female clothing on Male as there was quite a few nice male products but sometimes even in real clothing shops things are incorrect these days. Lots of crossdressing...I don't know that the younger gen would even think about stuff like that.

Unfortunately or fortunately I'm fully retired since covid as teaching became too hazardous. My income is now a lot lower than it was so I'm more careful with my spending. I would like to get a newer card but they are hard to get I believe from what I've heard. RAM would come second to that.

Just a point on the 8000 textures...Mattymanx pointed out over at Daz forums that it's only some of the maps not all and also mainly on the detail maps like normals.

If you can load a figure like V4 which is a lot denser mesh with all the morphs loaded you probably won't have a problem with genesis 9 that's my thoughts for what they're worth.

I'm quite pleased to see a unisex figure more for character creation than concern about clothing as I manually convert what I need as I need it these days. Half an hour in zbrush is all it takes normally unless it's a very complex item. 

That said if PA's do custom morphs for the base male and female I'll be happy...

Razor42 ( ) posted Thu, 22 September 2022 at 10:15 PM
ssgbryan posted at 4:42 PM Thu, 22 September 2022 - #4445061

Razor42 posted at 3:33 AM Thu, 22 September 2022 - #4445017

As far as figures, I use every single figure I have collected since Dec 2004.  I do this because vendors, by and large, don't change very much in their characters - they all look like they are closely related.  This means I need a lot of different base meshes, so I can have many different characters...

Snipped for brevity

Thanks for that, it's always interesting to hear about others workflow. 

Nevertrumper ( ) posted Fri, 23 September 2022 at 1:11 AM

Content Advisory! This message contains profanity

Darboshanski posted at 5:49 PM Thu, 22 September 2022 - #4445066

Actually maybe it’s my older eyes but I can’t tell G8,G8.1 and now G9 figures. The G8.1 figures all are being to look the same. Same body shapes, face shapes, textures I haven’t found a a character I like. I tend to go for the characters with slight imperfections, not a super model body and maybe a bit more mature.

I think, this is not a matter of a base figure and its usability. It has been proven, that G3 and G8 figures can be morphed into pretty much anything.
The problem is the present idea of the perfect woman. Like in real life, it is all about those six pack, plastic tits and duck lips bimbos.
F.U. Pamela
;-)

ssgbryan ( ) posted Fri, 23 September 2022 at 10:47 AM

Well, yes and no.

Whereas one can do that - the G3, and especially the G8 series has moved beyond the early 20's Caucasian supermodel.  They have a very wide selection of both ethnicities and ages.

Which is why I use G figures in Poser - the post-V4 figures are all caucasians, all the time.  Not very useful if you want to do something real world.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.