Welcome to the Poser 12 - Feature Requests Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd, jennblake

(Last Updated: 2022 Dec 03 2:38 am)

Would you like to tell the Poser 12 Development team something you would like to see added to Poser 12? Or a tool that already exist be improved upon? Tell us here!

PLEASE post a NEW thread for every item. Do not post on an on-going thread/conversation or your request will be missed!

Subject: Auto-Alpha channels for textures that support such ??

NikKelly ( ) posted Wed, 20 July 2022 at 1:09 PM · edited Wed, 07 December 2022 at 6:48 AM

Though discussed some months ago, please give further consideration to auto-loading alpha channel from any Poser-compatible texture format .

This becomes more of an issue when porting models between formats.

eg IIRC, XNA/Lara's XPS and MMD's PMX auto-apply their alpha channels.

If ported to Poser via FBX or OBJ+MTL, you may be faced with dozens of materials, each with its own 'diffuse' texture map plus alpha channel as transparency.

As, sadly, even free 'Irfan View' still lacks the batch-tools to 'save out' alpha channels, they must be wrangled by hand.

Then applied by hand...

IIRC, I got so exasperated with the dozens needed by one such scene-set, that I hacked the OBJ's MTL. Much, much easier to copy/paste in Notepad, adding transparency map calls, than wrangle the Material room. And that's without invoking Cycles...

I appreciate that the new version of Cycles may take a while to 'mature', but is really, really silly to have to do a ruddy 'Evel Knievel' and jump through flamin' hoops every time you meet an alpha channel...

nerd ( ) posted Wed, 20 July 2022 at 4:07 PM · edited Wed, 20 July 2022 at 4:07 PM
Forum Moderator

Alpha channel in Image Texture node:

Nw7pU8fszTE1BOH7LU1DyMlJTQ1j92Li1POmkuqA.png

NikKelly ( ) posted Wed, 20 July 2022 at 10:20 PM

{ Face palm...}

Finder map: New Node , Cycles, Texture, Image Texture (in P_11.3), Connect the Alpha port to Transparency...

Thank you, thank you..

Sadly, if I connect PNG's image texture's Colour port to Diffuse, it does not get used. Still needs Color_Texture aka New Node, 2D textures, Image map...

Is this just 'how it works' ?? Else what the utterly obvious have I missed this time ??

( Investigation beset by low-flying cat deranging UI...)

Y-Phil ( ) posted Thu, 21 July 2022 at 3:58 AM

Just a small remark: when it comes to the classic PoserSurface node, the diffuse_color is turned black if the diffuse_Value is 0. By default, it's = 1.

By the past, I had learned that at this point, a 0.9 value is more real that that pure 1.0 value.

Y-Phil.

Win10 on i7 8700K@4.3Ghz, 32Gb, GeForce RTX 2080 Ti, 2x 2Tb ssd + 1x 6Tb hd + 1x 4Tb hd + 1x 8Tb hd, Poser 11, Poser 12, Octane, HDR Light Studio

NikKelly ( ) posted Sun, 31 July 2022 at 9:59 AM

There's a weird 'gotcha', not quite a bug, if you don't bother with Cycles but just throw a mapped TGA texture at 'diffuse'. Or let imported FBX do it...

Poser_11 etc may not use TGA's 'Alpha' channel as a 'transparency' map, but it does 'recognise' it. And in such a way that it may block any 'transparency' map you apply.

Several Work-arounds: 

1) Do the 'Cycles' thing so well explained above.

2) Convert 'diffuse' TGA to eg JPG and apply that as 'diffuse' texture. As JPG does not support 'Alpha', there's no contention.

3) Convert 'diffuse' TGA to eg PNG, so that the busy 'Alpha' channel is retained. Use either directly via 'Cycles' or indirectly by exporting then hand-applying the 'Alpha'...

I sorta 'fell over' this while porting some XPS figures: Load .XPS into free XNA/Lara, export as .MESH.ASCII, convert to FBX using free Noesis, import to Poser at, after iteration, 11.5k% of default scale, parent the eight (8) minor sub-rigs to first-in-list's root, rename that first sub-rig with ENF1_ prefix. Phew !!

Posed warily using that first sub-rig, but visor would not go transparent. TGA held no obvious alpha 'mapping'. After a detour via exporting visor'd helmet via OBJ, UV-mapping that, matching to mapped texture, painting a JPG transparency mask etc, I got it working, rendered. Serendipitously, sorta driven by curiosity, I exported the TGA as PNG. And, lo, its Alpha channel held the very map I'd sought...

Well, d'uh...

mADxoeZW6JhGsfOGJZqF66TozkcbJCvupDm0G6Sb.jpg

https://www.deviantart.com/aleksiszet/art/Military-by-aleksiszet-870492379

NikKelly ( ) posted Sun, 31 July 2022 at 11:25 AM

Put three-up at...

https://www.renderosity.com/gallery/items/3071727/band-of-brothers

nerd ( ) posted Thu, 04 August 2022 at 11:20 PM · edited Thu, 04 August 2022 at 11:22 PM
Forum Moderator
You sent me down the TGA rabbit hole. And why wouldn't it do alpha even with an alpha. It took me a while to figure that one out. First if the alpha channel is any name but "alpha" Poser doesn't pick it up. Even "Alpha" or "alpha 1" seems to break it. And, it doesn't preview the alpha correctly. It renders right but the preview is like the whole object is 50% transparent. For my test the colors came out of the color channel as expected so TGA is definitely weird. Until we can look at TGA I'd go with PNGs that seems to work much more reliably.

NikKelly ( ) posted Fri, 05 August 2022 at 12:01 PM

Thank you.

Seems I've not lost the knack for finding 'Strange Stuff''.

At work, I used to put in the weirdest incident reports, to point where our safety officer began to dread any internal envelope with my writing...

From a remarkably big spider ambling across lab, such most of us took an early break, but I rescued with a 350ml beaker from our BikeGurrl's flying stomp, via a cupboard whose shelves collapsed as I was walking past, to a crow or raven pulling the cladding seal strips out of adjacent sloping roof...

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.