Tue, Apr 23, 2:53 AM CDT

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Apr 22 7:39 pm)

Subject: What are the smallest and largest light intensities you've worked with?

odf ( ) posted Tue, 17 May 2022 at 3:48 AM · edited Mon, 22 April 2024 at 6:17 PM

I'm currently working on a render with two point lights, one at 100% and one at 0.1%, so I got curious...

-- I'm not mad at you, just Westphalian.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Tue, 17 May 2022 at 6:37 AM
Site Admin

The lowest I've gone is .5%. That was a test to see how bright a candle should be. That's what I came up with. Even though I often use candles to light scenes, I usually take some artistic license and make them brighter, otherwise, I'd need too many for there to be enough light to see.

I'm curious why you'd need a .1% light. Would it actually make a difference in the image and not get washed out by the other light?

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

SamTherapy ( ) posted Tue, 17 May 2022 at 7:07 AM

Negative numbers are fun.

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

odf ( ) posted Tue, 17 May 2022 at 7:26 AM
RedPhantom posted at 6:37 AM Tue, 17 May 2022 - #4438719

I'm curious why you'd need a .1% light. Would it actually make a difference in the image and not get washed out by the other light?

I had a deep shadow that I wanted just a little more visible detail in without making it too bright. So I put a point light very close to the region and had to turn it way down.

odf ( ) posted Tue, 17 May 2022 at 7:26 AM
SamTherapy posted at 7:07 AM Tue, 17 May 2022 - #4438720

Negative numbers are fun.

Ooh, I have to try that.

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 17 May 2022 at 7:59 AM

I may have gone down as far as 1% on fill lights but it all depends on your scene.  Are you looking for realism, realistic behavior, or a fantasy look?  For most lights, I turn on Inverse Square to simulate the actual falloff of real-life lighting, this is with the exception of Infinity lights, that feature is unavailable.  Since I render in Superfly, I convert all my lighting to Blackbody, I find them a little more realistic in my scenes.

seachnasaigh ( ) posted Tue, 17 May 2022 at 1:37 PM

Low:  1% point light for candle, etc.  1% infinite for night scenes.

High:  2500 to 3000 infinite light for volumetric godrays, and for an undersea scene with volumetric water, I have a floater bot with a pencil-tight green spotlight beam at 50,000 surrounded by an amber spot beam at 150,000.

Poser 12, in feet.  

OSes:  Win7Prox64, Win7Ultx64

Silo Pro 2.5.6 64bit, Vue Infinite 2014.7, Genetica 4.0 Studio, UV Mapper Pro, UV Layout Pro, PhotoImpact X3, GIF Animator 5

RedPhantom ( ) posted Tue, 17 May 2022 at 3:23 PM
Site Admin

I’d forgotten about negative lights. I’ve used those too. They work better with firefly but can be used in superfly 

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

odf ( ) posted Tue, 17 May 2022 at 6:16 PM

Excellent topic, if I may say so myself. I'm not only satisfying my curiosity, but also learning new things. Negative lights, never thought of that.

Intensity 150,000 for a light beam in volumetric water. Wow!

Richard60 ( ) posted Tue, 17 May 2022 at 8:20 PM

Years ago when I was working on Creepy Doll we put a spot light behind Cookie and turned it up to 10,000.  Turns out doing that burned through her head and made the Eyes Glow which is what we were trying or.  It turns out that in real life you get a light that bright it will go through your body much like an X-Ray

Poser 5, 6, 7, 8, Poser Pro 9 (2012), 10 (2014), 11, 12, 13

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.