Wed, Apr 24, 3:38 AM CDT

Welcome to the Poser Python Scripting Forum

Forum Moderators: Staff

Poser Python Scripting F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Mar 19 1:03 pm)

We now have a ProPack Section in the Poser FreeStuff.
Check out the new Poser Python Wish List thread. If you have an idea for a script, jot it down and maybe someone can write it. If you're looking to write a script, check out this thread for useful suggestions.

Also, check out the official Python site for interpreters, sample code, applications, cool links and debuggers. This is THE central site for Python.

You can now attach text files to your posts to pass around scripts. Just attach the script as a txt file like you would a jpg or gif. Since the forum will use a random name for the file in the link, you should give instructions on what the file name should be and where to install it. Its a good idea to usually put that info right in the script file as well.

Checkout the Renderosity MarketPlace - Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Unable to attach text files to posts in PoserPython Scripting forum.

3dcheapskate ( ) posted Sun, 15 May 2022 at 9:25 PM · edited Sun, 21 April 2024 at 3:06 PM

ADP pointed out to me  in a generic 'forum broken' thread that we should be able to attach text files to posts in this PoserPython Scripting forum. Here's a screenshot of the forum header, relevant bit boxed in red.

fd3Ndqotc5rHn9GUarMVDIu5VWFNwWokAa4ZdQ6F.png

I tried that but it didn't work.

I'm trying exactly the same thing again here. The instructions say "Just attach the script as a txt file like you would a jpg or gif"

My setup: I'm using Edge on a very old laptop that's been upgraded to Windows 10. The cursor is positioned at the end of the text in the edit box. I have a three line text file that I created in Microsoft Notepad that I'm going to try and attach using that instruction.

- So I click the little 'Picture' icon above the edit box (middle button of the middle group above the edit box) - an Insert Image box appears.

- Click the 'Choose Files' button - only images are displayed

- Select 'All files (*.*) from the drop down bottom right of the 'Open' dialog so text files show up.

- Scroll down and select my text file, click 'Open'...but the 'Open' dialog  and 'Insert Image' box simply vanish.

There's nothing to indicate whether or not the text file was successfully attached. So I simply click the green Create Thread button and, unless I'm much mistaken, there's no text file attached to this post.

The 3Dcheapskate* occasionally posts sensible stuff. Usually by accident.

*also available in ShareCG, DAZ, and CGBytes flavours.

3dcheapskate ( ) posted Sun, 15 May 2022 at 9:30 PM

Since structure mentioned that another problem I had might be browser related I'm repeating the test using Vivaldi.

My setup: I'm using Vivaldi on a very old laptop that's been upgraded to Windows 10. The cursor is positioned at the end of the text in the edit box. I have a three line text file that I created in Microsoft Notepad that I'm going to try and attach using that instruction.

- So I click the little 'Picture' icon above the edit box (middle button of the middle group above the edit box) - an Insert Image box appears.

- Select 'All files (*.*) from the drop down bottom right of the 'Open' dialog so text files show up.

- Scroll down and select my text file, click 'Open'...exactly the same - the 'Open' dialog  and 'Insert Image' box simply vanish.

There's nothing to indicate whether or not the text file was successfully attached. So I simply click the green Create Thread button and, unless I'm much mistaken, there's no text file attached to this post either.

3dcheapskate ( ) posted Sun, 15 May 2022 at 11:13 PM

I should try using a different computer.

This time I'm using the same network as my old laptaop, but a different computer.

My setup: I'm using Edge on an old Windows 10 all-in-one. The cursor is positioned at the end of the text in the edit box. I have a three line text file that I created in Microsoft Notepad that I'm going to try and attach using the same instructions.

- Scroll down and select my text file, click 'Open'...exactly the same - the 'Open' dialog  and 'Insert Image' box simply vanish.

There's nothing to indicate whether or not the text file was successfully attached. So I simply click the green Create Thread button and, unless I'm much mistaken, there's no text file attached to this post.

3dcheapskate ( ) posted Sun, 15 May 2022 at 11:20 PM

The second computer again, this time using Chrome.

My setup: I'm using Chrome on an old Windows 10 all-in-one. The cursor is positioned at the end of the text in the edit box. I have a three line text file that I created in Microsoft Notepad that I'm going to try and attach using the same instructions.

- Scroll down and select my text file, click 'Open'...once again exactly the same - the 'Open' dialog  and 'Insert Image' box simply vanish.

3dcheapskate ( ) posted Sun, 15 May 2022 at 11:26 PM · edited Sun, 15 May 2022 at 11:28 PM

So far that's two different Windows computers (both Windows 10) and three different browsers (Edge, Vivaldi and Chrome)

All of the four combinations I tried (Laptop + Edge, Laptop + Vivaldi. All-in-one + Edge. all-in-one + Chrome) failed to attach a text file with exactly the same behaviour.

So it doesn't appear to be either computer-specific or browser-specific.

1) Has anybody else had any problems attaching text files ?

2) Has anybody succesfully attached a text file ? If so can you demonstrate below, stating whether you're using Windows/Mac, browser used, and attaching a simple test text file to your post.

Y-Phil ( ) posted Mon, 16 May 2022 at 1:41 AM

Here is a test, made with Brave:

PhYl.

Win10 on i7 8700K@4.3Ghz, 64Gb, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 2x 2Tb ssd + 6+4Tb hd  + 1x 8Tb hd + 1 10T NAS, Poser 11, Poser 12  and now Poser 13 

Y-Phil ( ) posted Mon, 16 May 2022 at 1:44 AM

Message above has no python-based TEXT file visible. Tried using the "Attached picture" button and using the "Drag-and-drop" function.

uhqrBgIb27RmrVLj8pgPxynbFglflGU1OYZ8AbJq.png

PhYl.

Win10 on i7 8700K@4.3Ghz, 64Gb, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 2x 2Tb ssd + 6+4Tb hd  + 1x 8Tb hd + 1 10T NAS, Poser 11, Poser 12  and now Poser 13 

structure ( ) posted Tue, 17 May 2022 at 11:10 AM
Forum Coordinator

I shall let the designers know

Locked Out

Y-Phil ( ) posted Tue, 17 May 2022 at 4:05 PM
structure posted at 11:10 AM Tue, 17 May 2022 - #4438731

Thank you 😄

PhYl.

3dcheapskate ( ) posted Wed, 18 May 2022 at 2:06 AM

Y-Phil posted at 1:44 AM Mon, 16 May 2022 - #4438656

Message above has no python-based TEXT file visible. Tried using the "Attached picture" button and using the "Drag-and-drop" function.

I got the impression that you have to change the file extension from .PY to .TXT -  it says in the instruction  at the top of the forum "Just attach the script as a txt file like you would a jpg or gif.".

Could you retry but using a file with a .TXT extension.

3dcheapskate ( ) posted Wed, 18 May 2022 at 2:10 AM
structure posted at 11:10 AM Tue, 17 May 2022 - #4438731

Thanks - I hope they can reproduce the problem, and then fix it. :)

Y-Phil ( ) posted Wed, 18 May 2022 at 3:14 AM

Test with Python file renamed to .txt:

PhYl.

Y-Phil ( ) posted Wed, 18 May 2022 at 3:15 AM

3dcheapskate posted at 2:06 AM Wed, 18 May 2022 - #4438756

Y-Phil posted at 1:44 AM Mon, 16 May 2022 - #4438656

I got the impression that you have to change the file extension from .PY to .TXT -  it says in the instruction  at the top of the forum "Just attach the script as a txt file like you would a jpg or gif.".

Could you retry but using a file with a .TXT extension.

Nope, sorry:

duQm2c1aTeCprAdIytgcAPf5YvRK60U7g0ZWLNJL.png

PhYl.

structure ( ) posted Wed, 18 May 2022 at 8:11 AM
Forum Coordinator

I tested a text-type few extensions, none worked. 

Locked Out

3dcheapskate ( ) posted Thu, 19 May 2022 at 6:55 AM

I always attach images using the button above the edit box, and just realized that you also add them by simply dragging-and-dropping into the edit box. 

So I should be able to add text files by dragging and dropping too, yes ? 

No. That's pre-emptive - if I'm wrong then Just Testing.txt is attached to this post.

I'm using Edge / Windows 10 just to be clear)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.