Tue, Apr 23, 1:29 AM CDT

Welcome to the Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd

Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Apr 15 3:14 am)

banner

Welcome to the Poser Forums! Need help with these versions, advice on upgrading? Etc...you've arrived at the right place!

Looking for Poser Tutorials? Find those HERE

Subject: Is there a way to organize content in Poser 11?

3dkaya ( ) posted Wed, 23 February 2022 at 10:54 AM · edited Wed, 17 April 2024 at 3:26 PM

I am wondering if there is a way to organize content in Poser 11 without messing with the actual files?  I don't want to mess with the files themselves but a way to help find stuff easier.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Wed, 23 February 2022 at 11:49 AM
Site Admin

Unfortunately, the only way would be to move the files themselves. 

If there are things you use frequently, you can add them to your favorites. You won’t need to move the file and you can put figures, poses, props etc all in the same folder 

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

nerd ( ) posted Wed, 23 February 2022 at 2:22 PM
Forum Moderator

The favorites folders allows you to organize you content however you like. Select any content and click the star icon at the bottom of the library. That will allow you to add that item to an existing favorites folder or create a new one. All your favorites are available in the favorites category of the library. Favorites can be drag n' dropped inside the Favorites folders.

davo ( ) posted Fri, 25 February 2022 at 11:19 AM

Can you let us know what types of things you are trying to organize? Like if you wanted to separate all the V4 clothing from the V4 character/texture from the M4 stuff, you might want to consider having an external runtimes folder for each.  For example, I have on my program files folder a folder called "external runtimes". Under that folder I have separate folders for V4 clothing, V4 hair, V4 characters, M4 clothing, M4 characters, Props and Scenes, Animals, Creatures.  When I unzip a V4 character, I extract all the contents to the external runtimes/V4 Characters folder.  After you have all your separate runtimes, you can load each runtime in poser library and just switch between them.

The favorites option isn't a bad one, I just wish you could point to an entire folder you like rather than load each piece one by one. There has been some discussion on this entire folder pointing, but it's tricky.  I wish they would upgrade the favorites options.

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 25 February 2022 at 1:25 PM

The Favorites folders option is convenient when you want to access regularly used content from different Library Runtimes.  But you need to realize that, if you examine the Favorites folder, the contents are actually shortcut linked and the icons are duplicates of the originals.  I can understand why you need to add each item separately to the Favorites folder within the Poser Library, it would prevent locking up the program, or crashing if you attempt to add a folder.  You could manually add folders externally through the browser, however that defeats the purpose of a Favorites folder if you add all your content to it especially if it is content that is seldom or not used at all.

NikKelly ( ) posted Mon, 07 March 2022 at 7:05 PM

External libraries ?

I've a vast zoo of 'stuff' from lo-poly 3DS props dating back to ~2002, pre-P3, all the way to today's trawl. I put only essentials into Poser's internal library. The rest is sorta-organised into folder trees on my archive drives. If necessary, I'll link an external run-time, un-link when notion resolved. Usually, I just import files, save render, notes and PZ3 to source folder...

perpetualrevision ( ) posted Sun, 17 April 2022 at 12:31 PM

I know the OP doesn't want to have to move files in the library, but for anyone else looking for ideas for how to organize their Poser content, you might find it helpful to know that you can organize files inside the main Libraries folders pretty much any way you want, with a few limitations. Because this topic comes up a lot, as does the topic of "how many runtimes do you use," I finally wrote a piece on my blog to show how I've extensively organized all my content using only one runtime. If you're curious, you can check it out here: Organizing Poser Assets.

Using multiple runtimes drove me nuts, esp. for items that could plausibly be in more than one runtime, so I found it easier to just use sub-folders within the main Libraries folders to organize by figure or genre or whatever. Makes it easy to find things AND easy to install them (which I always do manually.)

As for using the Favorites option in Poser's library, be aware that it's creating shortcuts with full path references, so if you end up moving an item a shortcut points to to a different folder, the shortcut will break. Given my propensity for moving things around, I don't use Favorites.

TOOLS: MacBook Pro; Poser Pro 11; Cheetah3D; Photoshop CC

FIGURES: S-16 (improved V4 by Karina), M4, K4, Mavka, Toons, and Nursoda's people

GOALS: Stylized and non-photorealistic renders in various fantasy styles

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.