Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Have loaded a pz3 in Poser 11 but no textures

Moonlight_Designs opened this issue on Dec 16, 2021 · 15 posts

Moonlight_Designs posted Thu, 16 December 2021 at 11:29 AM

I opened my pz3 file into Poser 11 but there are no textures on it. I have tried to get it into Posers library but when I click it in the library it says "empty" PLEASE help me get my custom prop into Poser 11. I have the file set up as (byname - Runtime - then a prop folder with the PZ3 and last a texture folder with my jpgs.

I just started using this version of 11 and it has not made a good impression so far.

Can someone help me to get this right?

randym77 posted Thu, 16 December 2021 at 12:01 PM

Did you add the runtime to Poser?

Poser 11 is very similar to earlier versions of Poser. But if it's a new installation, it doesn't have your old preferences, including what runtimes are attached.

Probably the easiest thing to do is attach your old runtime to Poser 11. Whatever runtime you used with your old version of Poser can be attached to Poser 11. It should find the textures then. 

hborre posted Thu, 16 December 2021 at 12:35 PM

We really need some clarification about your setup and exactly what you are attempting to accomplish before we can proceed.  If you can provide some screencaps, that would simplify the process.  You mentioned a prop and that you saved it as a .pz3.  A .pz3 file is a scene file and not specifically a prop file which is designated as a .pp2 in the Poser Library.  In essence, you saved an entire scene including your prop into the Poser Library.  Please explain, with as much detail you can remember, how you went about saving your custom prop into the Poser Library.  Try not to omit the smaller details, they may be the key to your problem.  Again, provide screencaps if you can; if you need help with that, please ask.  There might be a number of settings that are incorrect or off, i.e., where the runtime is located, a number of runtimes linked to the Library, what tab were you using when saving, etc.  I know this may sound like nitpicking, but if you want a pleasant Poser experience, the more information you can provide, the better we can help you.

Moonlight_Designs posted Thu, 16 December 2021 at 2:07 PM

I do rooms for Poser but took a break from this a year. or so. Had Poser 11 and  used it before. When I came back to Poser I also had a new computer. I have no previous runtimes or old poser files. Usually I created my project in 3ds  imported it into Poser11 and saved it. it became a pz3. I then loaded the pz3 into Poser and everything looked fine except there are no textures. I just discovered that I can do this manually via Posers material setting. however I can not get it into the library. I want to add a textures folder and the rooms I will create but can not figure how to make this happen. I can not get the file structure right and have no idea where the textures go nor the pz3 files. Although I once did this  I have no clear idea of the process now. I also want something similar to the old props directory because I want to have contents in the room in their own folder so they can be arranged by the user. Need some help please.

randym77 posted Thu, 16 December 2021 at 2:46 PM

I haven't used 3ds, but usually you have to add textures in the material room when you import a model into Poser. The textures can be anywhere, you just have to tell Poser where to find them. Your model must be UV mapped before you import it into Poser or the textures won't work.

You can see Poser's file structure by looking at the default runtime. It's called something like Poser 11 Content. There is a textures folder. You'll probably want to create a folder within the textures folder for your own textures.

You can add a prop to your default runtime by selecting your prop, then clicking the + sign at the bottom of the props section of the library. It will prompt you for a name. 

Are you planning to sell these rooms? If so, you will have to follow Poser's file structure and buyers will expect them to be zipped so that everything falls into the right folder when it's unzipped.

Y-Phil posted Thu, 16 December 2021 at 3:17 PM

As you mentioned it: "I had a new computer". Your texture bitmaps may be stored in one of those missing runtimes, what do you think?

PhYl.

Win10 on i7 8700K@4.3Ghz, 64Gb, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 2x 2Tb ssd + 6+4Tb hd  + 1x 8Tb hd + 1 10T NAS, Poser 11, Poser 12  and now Poser 13 

Rhia474 posted Thu, 16 December 2021 at 5:19 PM

If you had a new computer and your runtimes were not stored externally (on a portable drive, for example)--if those are gone, as you don't have previous files (as you state above), not sure how you think you can get textures loaded unless you manually associate them via the material room.

You can re-add runtimes, or add props to a new runtime, but you need to make sure you have all the files in the proper format and structure, as it is said above.

hornet3d posted Thu, 16 December 2021 at 6:36 PM

One of the advantages of having runtimes stored on a portable drive, mine are stored on a SSD housed in a portable USB housing.  If I have a new computer all I have tood is plug in the drive, install Poser and then associate the runtimes on the SSD to the new installation.

I use Poser 13 on Windows 11 - For Scene set up I use a Geekcom A5 -  Ryzen 9 5900HX, with 64 gig ram and 3 TB  storage, mini PC with final rendering done on normal sized desktop using an AMD Ryzen Threadipper 1950X CPU, Corsair Hydro H100i CPU cooler, 3XS EVGA GTX 1080i SC with 11g Ram, 4 X 16gig Corsair DDR4 Ram and a Corsair RM 100 PSU .   The desktop is in a remote location with rendering done via Queue Manager which gives me a clearer desktop and quieter computer room.

Moonlight_Designs posted Thu, 16 December 2021 at 6:53 PM

Thanks for the help.

Probably didn’t explain this well. I don’t need old runtimes since I am like a new user without any previous work. I was trying to find out how to process my project into a library addition. The model woks fine in Poser and Poser turns it into a pz3. I just don’t know how to make it a library file. I know you have to put the Poser runtime in the folder but I don’t know where my project goes. In the props folder and textures in a texture folder under the runtime folder ? I  guess this is more a directory question. I have tried many different methods and none have worked. I have been on the internet and so far I have put over 5 hours on this. That’s why I came to the forum.

Moonlight_Designs posted Thu, 16 December 2021 at 6:56 PM

No matter what runtime directory I have tried they all say ‘empty’.

randym77 posted Thu, 16 December 2021 at 7:15 PM

You should have some default runtimes connected to Poser, even if you didn't connect them yourself.

One is called Poser 11 Content, one is called Downloads, one is called Purchases.

The latter two will be empty, but the first won't be.  Poser 11 Content should have all the stuff that comes free with Poser. La Femme and other figures, various props, clothes, hair, materials.  If you right-click on Poser 11 Content, you'll get an option to "show in Explorer." This will open up Windows Explorer, and you can see what the file structure looks like there.

All runtimes will have that same structure, so if you make a new runtime, follow that structure.

It kind of matters what you are trying to do. If you are just making props to use yourself, you can just add them to your main runtime. It doesn't matter where the textures are; Poser will remember.

If you are making these to sell or give to someone else, then you should make a new, empty runtime, and also make sure the textures are in the textures folder in that runtime.

To save a prop to your library, select the prop, choose a runtime from the list in the library, and choose the prop tab (the hat). Click the plus sign at the bottom, and it will prompt you to give it name. Type in the name you want, click OK, and it will be saved.

(You might not see it right away. Sometimes you have to refresh the library to see new additions.)

hborre posted Thu, 16 December 2021 at 11:33 PM

After rereading your original post, I assume that you are unfamiliar with the actual structure of the Library Folder.  Below is a screencap of a Runtime folder captured from my browser.  

Essentially, the Runtime folder will have several subfolders that contain additional subfolders filled with different file formats and commands.  I have highlighted 3 very important folders: Geometries, Libraries, and Textures.  The principal folder is the Libraries folder, which contains all the subfolders that appear in your Poser 11 Library.  The OP describes a workflow of creating a Props folder within the Runtime folder.  Everyone familiar with the Runtime hierarchy knows that this type of folder actually belongs within another subfolder called Libraries.  And the answer to your question posted later is yes, the prop belongs in the Props folder under Libraries.  Study the hierarchy carefully and note where files generally go in the subfolders.  .CR2 format files are placed into the Character folder, .fc2 into the Face folder, .hr2 into the Hair Folder, .hd2 into the Hand Folder, .MC6 and .MT5 into the Materials Folder, .PZ2 into the Pose Folder, .PP2 into the Props Folder, and .PZ3 into the Scene Folder.  I'm not bothering with the Camera and Light folders, they're self-explanatory, and not too many individuals create those files on a regular basis.  Whenever you utilize any of the P11 Library Categories, it is a good practice to create your specific subfolders with the Library itself then save your prop, figure, pose, whatever within those folders.  The Texture Folder does not appear in P11 Library but outside the Libraries Folder in your Runtime.  You associate your texture files to your model, in this case, the prop, by assigning those files to the UV surfaces in the Material Room.  When saving the finished model back to the Library, select the appropriate category, again, in this case, the prop category is represented as the Hat on the menu strip towards the top of the Library, create or select the appropriate subfolder to save the model.  

Up to now, the OP mentions the creation of an .PZ3 file which is a Scene format file; this is indicating to me that the Scene Category, represented by a Scene Clapboard, was selected as the saving point in the Poser Library.  A prop should have been saved as a .PP2 file.  I would suggest looking under the Scene Category first, hopefully, populated by a subfolder.  It is not unusual to see the Empty banner in the Library if you didn't create subfolders.  An easy way to lose models.  I hope this gives you a little insight into the Poser Library.  As I mentioned before if you are unsure as to whether you have explained yourself clearly, post a screencap.  An image can reveal far more than any explanation.

NikKelly posted Sun, 19 December 2021 at 8:44 AM

"...An easy way to lose models."

Yes. {Shudder...}

I'm sometimes left scratching my head to figure where I put something within Poser's internal library. I much prefer to keep things in external libraries, which mean I can bundle zips, short-cuts, ports / rips, textures, luminaire super-ambient masks, thoughts, notes, renders etc etc...

Also, worst-case, external libraries are more convenient for Windows' searches.

Y-Phil posted Sun, 19 December 2021 at 10:31 AM

NikKelly posted at 8:44 AM Sun, 19 December 2021 - #4432096

Also, worst-case, external libraries are more convenient for Windows' searches.

When I read "Windows' searches", I can't help but quote the best windows search engine: Everything, which is free! 😊

PhYl.

Win10 on i7 8700K@4.3Ghz, 64Gb, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 2x 2Tb ssd + 6+4Tb hd  + 1x 8Tb hd + 1 10T NAS, Poser 11, Poser 12  and now Poser 13 

Moonlight_Designs posted Sun, 19 December 2021 at 10:39 AM

Thanks to everyone for providing help. I am sure this post will help me and others who have similar problems.