Thu, Mar 28, 1:37 PM CDT

Welcome to the Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd

Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Mar 01 1:21 pm)

banner

Welcome to the Poser Forums! Need help with these versions, advice on upgrading? Etc...you've arrived at the right place!

Looking for Poser Tutorials? Find those HERE

Subject: Poser 11 Died. How to Resurrect? Ugly Return of the Poser Kill Switch.

consumer573 ( ) posted Mon, 25 October 2021 at 10:43 AM · edited Sun, 17 March 2024 at 1:54 AM

I have a standalone graphics machine. It is not allowed to access the web.  I has no antivirus or other overhead and runs clean and fast.  I was leery of buying Poser 11 because it continued Poser's Kill switch.  I lost Game developer because of that. Thankfully Poser 2014 still runs.  Losing Poser 11 means my La Femme and La Homme products no longer work.

I'm hoping I can get a key for Poser 11 that will reactivate it. I have been with Poser since Version 3 but started actively using it at the end of 5 and beginning of 7.  I, like others, have several thousands of dollars of Renderosity and Daz products purchased over the years. I'm looking to protect my investment and can't be tied to a single program which automatically deactivates after a period of time. As much as I like it that and have compulsion to buy more it has to end unless I can be assured the safety of continuing to use them.

This is sort of a test which will determine whether I continue with Poser.  I do not want to be forced to put this machine onlilne.  There's too much expensive software on it.

Can I get a key to bring my Poser 11 back to life, please?

consumer573 ( ) posted Mon, 25 October 2021 at 10:55 AM

Please consider that if I didn't have Poser 2014 on my machine to play with and start up anytime I wanted, I would not be buying more items at renderosity or Daz. It's only because the 2014 software still works that I am continuing, albeit in a slower fashion than I would if I knew I wouldn't be buying dead-end models.  If I just had Poser 11 I'd be done at this point when it ended.

jennblake ( ) posted Mon, 25 October 2021 at 1:33 PM

the only way to reactivate Poser 11 is to allow the machine on the internet temporarily. I would take your serial number and set a new time extension for you. then you could take it back off the internet. If you want me to do that for you, send an email to store@posersoftware.com and I will take care of it for you.

NikKelly ( ) posted Tue, 26 October 2021 at 6:57 AM

My CAD_Tower #1 (RIP) ran mostly off-line. I un-plugged the CAT-cable and disabled Norton's between up-dates, used a USB link widget to secured-but-slow Browser_PC for buys & freebies. Current CAD_Tower #2 has more 'cores', and Norton's is either less greedy or hides better from 'Task Manager', so stays 'live'.

Could you allow a small ( weekly ??) window to wake fire-wall, connect CAT-cable and go on-line ? As you would for a Windows update ?? 

FWIW, I found it was much cheaper and more future-resistant to build a stand-alone network-render 'Box' than significantly upgrade either of my Tower #2's twin GPU cards. Please, may we have a dedicated network-render forum ? Rather than related posts scattered hither & yon ??

saibabameuk ( ) posted Wed, 27 October 2021 at 8:34 AM

I am running Poser and have been for years, I work for free as resident artist for a museum charity in India, last year I was locked down for a year. Most of the time it is impossible to go online. It is beyond my comprehension having purchased software - I need to go on the internet to gain a key for working, is this legal? what is going on that having taken my payment I am then held to go online before the software that is paid for will work, this is not good enough. store@posersoftware.com. Issue the code that your customers need and stop this please. The software I purchased should be available at any time to use on lone or off. After initial Registration. I am most concerned .

Finally could you clarify does this practice of going on line also include Poser 8?

Nick this is awful thanks for raising this issue.

NikKelly

Please consider that if I didn't have Poser 2014 on my machine to play with and start up anytime I wanted, I would not be buying more items at renderosity or Daz. It's only because the 2014 software still works that I am continuing, albeit in a slower fashion than I would if I knew I wouldn't be buying dead-end models.  If I just had Poser 11 I'd be done at this point when it ended.

Please don't let my Poser Game Developer Die.  ...Please?

primorge ( ) posted Wed, 27 October 2021 at 6:35 PM

"Finally could you clarify does this practice of going on line also include Poser 8?"

There's no online requirement for Poser 8.

Not sure what you mean by "dead-end models"

consumer573 ( ) posted Thu, 28 October 2021 at 4:38 AM · edited Thu, 28 October 2021 at 4:42 AM

I will take Jenn up on her offer when I get the serial number, thank you.  I just risk everything on the machine by taking it online. What I mean by dead-end models is that if your software dies that's it.  They are of no value unless you can find another software to run them.  This is not the razor blade model where you buy the razor (Poser) once and then keep buying blades. This is the keep buying the razor and keep buying the blades. Rendo is trying to be a subscription model like Adobe, but they're different because they have the store and the models which are the real value in the long run.  At some point for the consumer after a couple of iterations I don't think the rent the razor and buy the blades is going to work.

Smith Micro abandoned Poser and my Game developer died. Money I consider wasted. Fortunately they left 2014 okay and I was able to downgrade. Now I went to use Poser 11 which I thought had a permanent license on that  machine and it was kaput.  At this moment my investment in both Game Developer and Poser 11 have no value because neither work. 

I would like to support Poser , but don't think I should try to justify it anymore. At some point Jenn could say, "Sorry we don't support 11" and then Poser 11 is gone from me like game developer.  Hooking up that machine online to reactivate their software is a big risk, and I'm debating whether I want to deal with the consequences if it gets an infection. I could lose everything including personal data. At the moment I'm not likely to buy 12 or any more versions, but that's just me.  I'm in a waiting mode until I need one of the game developer features that 11 had that I liked. 

As a consumer there is a limit to how many subscription items I can afford, whether it is streaming media, apps or other.  In "other" I hear automakers are planning to make the software features in their cars subscription. You buy a 40,000 car and soon you're going to have to keep paying on a permanent recurring basis for the software to keep it running.  Another monthly expense to ad to the credit card. When you sell your car the software is going to be disabled until the next owner buys a new subscription. 

I'm going to be looking for models that aren't going to put me in a bind a few years down the road if the economy goes bad or inflation outpaces my wages or I don't have the recurring income that I do now.

The thing with Poser, if they DON'T go subscription, I can always buy models when I have money. Models may have value in an inflationary economy.  If I don't have the software I'm not going to be buying models.  I have some LaFemme and LaHomme characters and clothing and hair  but I'm not going to buy anymore right now because I don't have anything that will run them.  That's what I mean by dead end models.

consumer573 ( ) posted Thu, 28 October 2021 at 4:49 AM · edited Thu, 28 October 2021 at 4:53 AM

All this being said, I think it would be okay to pay for poser in partial payments or lump sum as long as when I'm done I get to keep the version I paid for running and hopefully transportable if I upgrade machines after the company has moved on to supporting newer versions.

When I said "models... in a bind" above, in that one instance of non-subscription I was talking business models.

consumer573 ( ) posted Thu, 28 October 2021 at 5:27 AM

Also, Keep in mind I'm being vocal not because I dislike Poser but rather the opposite. I really do like Poser.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.