Tue, Apr 23, 3:34 PM CDT

Welcome to the Poser 12 Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd, donnena Forum Coordinators: nerd

Poser 12 F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Apr 18 2:45 am)

Welcome to the Poser Forums! Need help with these versions, advice on upgrading? Etc...you've arrived at the right place!

Looking for Poser Tutorials? Find those HERE

Subject: Value 3

RedPhantom ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2021 at 10:17 PM · edited Sun, 21 April 2024 at 7:30 PM
Site Admin Online Now!

In the math node, there's a third value slot. If I'm copying a shader from blender, there isn't a third value. Do I put a zero in that or leave it at .5? Either way, depending on the function, it seems like it could change the output.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

hborre ( ) posted Fri, 17 September 2021 at 10:48 PM
Online Now!

I contacted tech support about this some time ago inquiring about this same concern.  They responded that as long as you don't use the value 3 the node will work as if you are using 2 values.  But I do things on the side of caution, so I would zero it if you are doing adding and subtraction, and set it to one if doing multiplication or division.  I'm not that trusting.

Richard60 ( ) posted Sat, 18 September 2021 at 12:35 PM

Blender does have a third input and the one case I found for it is Multiply vales 1 & 2 then add in value 3.  Also the Poser Documentation should have listed all the cases where the third value is useful.  That third value threw me the first time I saw it as I was trying to copy a shader and it had a math function with only two inputs and all i could find was 3.

Poser 5, 6, 7, 8, Poser Pro 9 (2012), 10 (2014), 11, 12, 13

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sat, 18 September 2021 at 1:08 PM
Site Admin Online Now!

What version of blender are you using? I'm using 2.93 and this is the math node I get

Or maybe I should ask which node you're looking at?

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Richard60 ( ) posted Sat, 18 September 2021 at 10:54 PM

Try changing the type to multiple add and it should get the third value.  I don't use Blender just that When I had the problem it was with a cycles material and I looked up the third value and found it mentioned in the Blender site.

Poser 5, 6, 7, 8, Poser Pro 9 (2012), 10 (2014), 11, 12, 13

ChromeStar ( ) posted Mon, 20 September 2021 at 9:45 PM

Poser doesn't have the ability to change the number of inputs on the fly (unlike Blender). So if an input will ever be needed, it will always show up, even if made irrelevant by the other settings. Sometimes that's confusing.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Tue, 21 September 2021 at 6:49 AM
Site Admin Online Now!

Yeah, I've started to notice that. In Blender, the 3rd value doesn't show up often, but some of the other nodes do it more.

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 21 September 2021 at 9:37 AM
Online Now!

You can use the standard Poser math node in your Cycles setup, especially if you are concerned about accuracy in the calculations.  It will accomplish the same results.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.