Forum: Poser 12

Subject: DS Genesis into Poser 12

Boni opened this issue on Aug 03, 2021 · 54 posts

Boni posted Tue, 03 August 2021 at 1:26 PM

I've been importing Genesis figures into Poser 12 via FBX ... Gen 8.1 came through good. I went back to Genesis basic ... and although they've been installed, no shaping and detail morphs show up. I could use some advice on this before I try bringing in Genesis 2 and 3.

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

wfbp1w posted Tue, 03 August 2021 at 3:40 PM Online Now!

it was a hard decision, but I moved to Studio last month. I used Poser since 2008, but without Genesis support, Poser is no option for me anymore. I hopped with Poser 11 they would support genesis 3 but even genesis 2 figures are not useable without workaround, that kept me off to buy Poser 11. The last hope was Poser 12…, I stood with Poser 2014 and realized, that I spend way too much time converting textures, clothing and hair to poser, so I make a cut, did what a few forum members stated sometimes, “If you want genesis, go to studio!”, and I did! …as I said it was a hard decision! By the way, studio is free, but you must spend a good amount of money to get genesis figures to work if you want more than the base character. The good thing is you can use even v4 and M4 clothes on genesis 3.

primorge posted Tue, 03 August 2021 at 4:37 PM

Easy to apply custom morphs you created externally to genesis? In DS that is...

JimTS posted Tue, 17 August 2021 at 1:37 PM

DAZ Stuff Is Not The Bargain You suppose

A word is not the same with one writer as with another. One tears it from his guts. The other pulls it out of his overcoat pocket
Charles Péguy

Heat and animosity, contest and conflict, may sharpen the wits, although they rarely do;they never strengthen the understanding, clear the perspicacity, guide the judgment, or improve the heart
Walter Savage Landor

So is that TTFN or TANSTAAFL?

wfbp1w posted Tue, 17 August 2021 at 3:48 PM Online Now!

JimTS posted at 3:43PM Tue, 17 August 2021 - #4425514

DAZ Stuff Is Not The Bargain You suppose

finally, not cheaper than Poser when you want more than the base figures

adp001 posted Tue, 17 August 2021 at 5:37 PM

A lot of the DAZ content is in a completely different league than the RR stuff for LaFemme, for example.

JimTS posted Tue, 17 August 2021 at 6:32 PM

yep a different app too duh take your daz stuff when you leave

A word is not the same with one writer as with another. One tears it from his guts. The other pulls it out of his overcoat pocket
Charles Péguy

Heat and animosity, contest and conflict, may sharpen the wits, although they rarely do;they never strengthen the understanding, clear the perspicacity, guide the judgment, or improve the heart
Walter Savage Landor

RobZhena posted Tue, 17 August 2021 at 6:54 PM

Boni, I’m curious. I bough an alien queen for G3F because it was so cool, I wanted to try the FBX route. I found posing it was prohibitively annoying. How do you do that? Also curious as to why you would import Genesis 2 as FBX when you can convert it to Poser native in Poser 11 and use it in Poser 12.

adp001 posted Tue, 17 August 2021 at 7:20 PM

JimTS posted at 7:16PM Tue, 17 August 2021 - #4425530

yep a different app too duh take your daz stuff when you leave

No problem for me. I mainly use Blender now. There is a free and perfectly working bridge from DAZ to Blender. Just a few clicks and DAZ content works in Blender.

primorge posted Tue, 17 August 2021 at 7:24 PM

adp001 posted at 7:24PM Tue, 17 August 2021 - #4425528

A lot of the DAZ content is in a completely different league than the RR stuff for LaFemme, for example.

What's RR stuff?

primorge posted Tue, 17 August 2021 at 7:58 PM

I'm sorry. This community is awful, seriously.

JimTS posted Tue, 17 August 2021 at 10:34 PM

especially when THE DAZ Fanboi trolls get too thick then the idea of "community" frays quickly

Charles Péguy

Walter Savage Landor

Afrodite-Ohki posted Wed, 18 August 2021 at 7:25 AM

Contrary to popular belief, it IS possible to see a thread about converting stuff from DS to Poser without mentioning for the millionth time that you dropped Poser to use DS.

It's also very easy to stop coming to the Poser forums every day to say that when you switch to DS - there ARE DS forums.

Come on, try it. Not being unpleasant and repetitive is easy if you try a little :)

- - - - - - 

Feel free to call me Ohki!

Poser Pro 11, Poser 12 and Poser 13, Windows 10, Superfly junkie. My units are milimeters.

Persephone (the computer): AMD Ryzen 9 5900x, RTX 3070 GPU, 96gb ram.

EVargas posted Wed, 18 August 2021 at 11:18 AM

Afrodite-Ohki posted at 11:12AM Wed, 18 August 2021 - #4425553

Contrary to popular belief, it IS possible to see a thread about converting stuff from DS to Poser without mentioning for the millionth time that you dropped Poser to use DS.

It's also very easy to stop coming to the Poser forums every day to say that when you switch to DS - there ARE DS forums.

Come on, try it. Not being unpleasant and repetitive is easy if you try a little :)

Couldn't agree more, it is admirable to see how much spare time those people have to act like this. At times it seems to me that there's some force / incentive behind it, like a organized approach to shaping internet visitor opinions.

For times I read posts at the Daz forums but was never active there. Many times saw comments about Daz censoring users/posts/comments for not being aligned with their values/plans. Not saying 'rosity should do the same but well, you get the point.

Store | Website

"Art exists so that reality does not destroy us" - Friedrich Nietzsche

JimTS posted Wed, 18 August 2021 at 1:07 PM

Bravo here here there should be a limit to how many DS is so much cooler than Poser posts that are allowed before the posters acct is cancelled for the relief of the rest of us

Charles Péguy

Walter Savage Landor

wfbp1w posted Wed, 18 August 2021 at 1:39 PM Online Now!

Hm, the interesting fact is indeed, that forum members sometimes enter a thread of the “genesis figure” users in Poser, -they enter a thread, and they don’t have any interest in Genesis! -the question I have, why did they come into this thread and stir it up? My posts where about why I finally changed the software, nothing more, I stated that DAZ isn’t cheap when you like the Genesis figures more than the default poser figures, I think Studio finally is more expensive than Poser, but it has the figure support I like! I stated that I hoped that poser once supported the genesis figures without workaround, but finally I gave Up! And followed the suggestion of a few members here, “if you want Genesis, go to Studio” and I did! nevertheless I still interested in Poser, I just changed the priorities. Before I switched, I used Studio to convert things to Poser, now I use Poser to make, or rework things for Studio, so I am still a poser 2014 user! I could go to Blender to have it all in one, like so much other users, but I’m too lazy to learn the interface, I’m happy to adapt to the studio interface right now, but I really miss the clear structured interface in Poser and the morph brush of course!

JimTS posted Wed, 18 August 2021 at 4:04 PM

So.......? Head over to DAZ3D.com to post instead of here or have you been banned there?

Charles Péguy

Walter Savage Landor

wfbp1w posted Wed, 18 August 2021 at 4:11 PM Online Now!

...I’m not banned anywhere

Afrodite-Ohki posted Wed, 18 August 2021 at 4:48 PM

wfbp1w posted at 4:45PM Wed, 18 August 2021 - #4425575

Hm, the interesting fact is indeed, that forum members sometimes enter a thread of the “genesis figure” users in Poser, -they enter a thread, and they don’t have any interest in Genesis! -the question I have, why did they come into this thread and stir it up?

... Yet you entered a thread about how to convert a thing to POSER and felt the need to go on and on about how you dropped it for DS, when noooobody asked about that.

And you might have noticed that what happened after that reply of yours is that nobody is talking about the question the thread was created for! So.... if someone "stirred something up".... Guess who?

The only reason I have not tried to switch the conversation back to its original purpose is that I can offer no help in the question at hand - also, on your question, no I have no interest in Genesis but I have converted props made for DS so I came here hoping to find tips for making conversions from DS to Poser in general easier :))) so... you see... yes, it makes more sense for me to be here than you, perhaps?

- - - - - - 

Poser Pro 11, Poser 12 and Poser 13, Windows 10, Superfly junkie. My units are milimeters.

Afrodite-Ohki posted Wed, 18 August 2021 at 4:49 PM

(Also, no need to head over to the other site. There are forums dedicated to DS right here at Rendo.)

- - - - - - 

Y-Phil posted Wed, 18 August 2021 at 5:44 PM

Afrodite-Ohki posted at 5:43PM Wed, 18 August 2021 - #4425590

wfbp1w posted at 4:45PM Wed, 18 August 2021 - #4425575

Hm, the interesting fact is indeed, that forum members sometimes enter a thread of the “genesis figure” users in Poser, -they enter a thread, and they don’t have any interest in Genesis! -the question I have, why did they come into this thread and stir it up?

... Yet you entered a thread about how to convert a thing to POSER and felt the need to go on and on about how you dropped it for DS, when noooobody asked about that.

And you might have noticed that what happened after that reply of yours is that nobody is talking about the question the thread was created for! So.... if someone "stirred something up".... Guess who?

The only reason I have not tried to switch the conversation back to its original purpose is that I can offer no help in the question at hand - also, on your question, no I have no interest in Genesis but I have converted props made for DS so I came here hoping to find tips for making conversions from DS to Poser in general easier :))) so... you see... yes, it makes more sense for me to be here than you, perhaps?

It's the same for me: I launch DS only to convert some props such as Stonemason's recents ones, after he left Poser's world.

PhYl.

Win10 on i7 8700K@4.3Ghz, 64Gb, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 2x 2Tb ssd + 6+4Tb hd  + 1x 8Tb hd + 1 10T NAS, Poser 11, Poser 12  and now Poser 13 

JimTS posted Wed, 18 August 2021 at 6:04 PM

Some of us Poser Users were DS beta testers and got "fired" when we said WTF no poser compatibility .....none...but we keep paying for upgrates and buying content hoping the mystical critical script/mass tutorial that will let me save duf to pz2 within poser so that I don't need to install DS to open them keeping my hardware current is expensive enough ....Got $3000 for a fellow american that wants an RTX machine? shall I degress further a G8 thread opens it gets jacked by a DAZBOI troll and I help kick it to death

Charles Péguy

Walter Savage Landor

RedPhantom posted Wed, 18 August 2021 at 9:01 PM Forum Moderator

Please stay on topic. If you have an idea for Boni to try, I'm sure she'd love to hear it. Arguing about which software is better isn't helping.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

Y-Phil posted Thu, 19 August 2021 at 1:08 AM

Now that I'm thinking to it: genesis import using the fbx format is the 1st step. If I'm not wrong, the bvh format is for... the morphs? Or whatever, I don't remember precisely

PhYl.

Win10 on i7 8700K@4.3Ghz, 64Gb, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 2x 2Tb ssd + 6+4Tb hd  + 1x 8Tb hd + 1 10T NAS, Poser 11, Poser 12  and now Poser 13 

NobbyC posted Thu, 19 August 2021 at 4:49 AM

There are several ways to import a Genesis figure into Poser. Here is one possibility:

First, we create a new folder.

I call it: DAZ export.

After that I create the subfolders: runtime, libraries, character

014.jpg

Then, we load our character into DAZ Studio.

Here it is Victoria 6.

001.jpg

After that we go to: file -> export

Export as: Poser CR2 File

As file name I take here Victoria 6 HD-001

002.jpg

A new window will open.

Important is that as:

is selected.

Then press the accsept button and you're done.

003.jpg

We do the same with clothing.

Only that we select at Figure Type:

Conforming figure select

007.jpg

NobbyC posted Thu, 19 August 2021 at 4:53 AM

Now we add our new directory in Poser and can load Victoria 6.

011.jpg

Clothes on top of that, and we're almost done.

We set Victoria and the clothes under:

Figure -> Skinning Method -> Poser Unimesh

And in the: Propertis Tab -> Subdivison Levels -> Render -> 2

013.jpg

The poses must either be loaded into Poser 11 and saved there as a pose, or you can buy the Poser Format Exporter from DAZ.

008.jpg

009.jpg

NobbyC posted Thu, 19 August 2021 at 5:22 AM

Hopefully, I have not forgotten any important intermediate steps. ;-)

EVargas posted Thu, 19 August 2021 at 6:14 AM

NobbyC posted at 6:06AM Thu, 19 August 2021 - #4425621

The poses must either be loaded into Poser 11 and saved there as a pose, or you can buy the Poser Format Exporter from DAZ.

Can Daz export BioVision (.bvh)? If yes maybe it can be used to bring poses, as Poser 12 can import it (manual here). BVH is widely used for mocap (motion capture).

Store | Website

"Art exists so that reality does not destroy us" - Friedrich Nietzsche

Boni posted Thu, 19 August 2021 at 6:48 AM

Thank you SO much ... I wasn't getting notifications for this thread ... so I didn't even know folks were posting! Nobby, thank you for site-mailing me!!

Boni

NobbyC posted Thu, 19 August 2021 at 6:52 AM

evargas posted at 6:49AM Thu, 19 August 2021 - #4425627

NobbyC posted at 6:06AM Thu, 19 August 2021 - #4425621

Can Daz export BioVision (.bvh)? If yes maybe it can be used to bring poses, as Poser 12 can import it (manual here). BVH is widely used for mocap (motion capture).

Yes, DAZ Studio can also export to BioVision (bvh) format. I have no experience with it, but I should try it soon. Or just write me when you have tried it.

Even the solution I described is not really perfect. But it helps if you want to use some Genesis or Genesis 2 figures in Poser. Some figures/clothes cannot be exported with it. And morphs that are in the subdivision sometimes get lost. Also the bending does not always look good. It works best with props or vehicles as long as no instances are used. Props with instances must be converted with the script "Instances to Objects" from Code 66, then they can get exported.

But in the end, the main work is always in the materials, everyone must decide for themselves whether the effort is worth it..

But I always like to use one or the other DAZ prop/figure, if only to show what is possible with good figures and materials.

Boni posted Thu, 19 August 2021 at 7:20 AM

Nobby,

I've been working on a client's project that has me import a DAZ environment into Poser via Collada and it imports beautifully ... except for the instancing. How do I correct that?

Boni

NobbyC posted Thu, 19 August 2021 at 7:35 AM

Boni posted at 7:34AM Thu, 19 August 2021 - #4425635

Nobby,

I've been working on a client's project that has me import a DAZ environment into Poser via Collada and it imports beautifully ... except for the instancing. How do I correct that?

This requires the script "instances to Objekcts" from Code 66 at DAZ.

Boni posted Thu, 19 August 2021 at 7:39 AM

Did my own work ... as well I should ... and found it. Great! Onward and Forward!

Boni

McGrandpa posted Thu, 23 September 2021 at 1:40 PM

Hi folks!   Problem here getting any of my Genesis/Genesis 2 content into Poser 12.   I can't.   And there will *NOT* be any DS 4.xx installed on my system(s).  I learned a year ago that the Daz3D DIM/CMS have to be installed and running for Studio 4.xx to function.  Oh the frame of it runs and seems stable, but it won't DO anything at all except throw up the "Studio must be logged into the CMS for this function to work!"  and I have only the OK to click.  That's no good, because leaving those two data bandits running full time in my system is not acceptable.  I am using Win 10 Pro on this rig.  I find that some of my old net tools still work fine, and watched, saddened, as the CMS was exporting some of my BANK info out into the void.   DS was not running, NO Daz program was running, other than the DIM/CMS, and that info has no business in Daz3D's possession.  EVER.   So that is why no version of DS4.xx is installed nor is any scrap of the DIM/CMS combo installed.  Their running 24/7 is a bad enough reason to uninstall them.  Their little data robbery is absolutely inexcusable. 

So, without DS 4.xx even installed, and DSON no longer functional, how DO I get all my Genesis/Genesis2 content into Poser 12?  I bought quite a bit of it and really enjoyed using it all in P9 thru Poser Pro 2014.   (I DO keep DS 3.0 Advanced installed, I paid for that one!)

I want to master use of P12, and see there are a number of things that will require some serious study to get it down.  The Materials Room is now missing the Basic view that that bites royally.   It is a pain doing the basic type stuff in the Advanced view.   That other thingie?  I do not get that thing at all.   To coda; there are a number of things that require serious study.

I will not put up with any heckling over my using the Genesis/Genesis2 content I BOUGHT alongside the POSER content that is both free and PAID for.    Most of my content is Poser based in the first place.   I bought into La Femme Pro 2 and LeHomme as well.   So leave it be concerning the DS content I also use. 

Thank You In Advance!

Michael (McGreatGrandpa!)

My 66th Birthday PC Build (July 1, 2020) :  named BadMoonRYZEN!W10Pro x64, Octal Core RYZEN7 3700X 4.05 GHz, 64GB DDR4 RAM, GeForce GTX 1650 Super 4GB GDDR6, PP2014, PP 11, P12, PS-CS4 Extended.

McG.

Y-Phil posted Thu, 23 September 2021 at 2:50 PM

McGrandpa posted at 1:40 PM Thu, 23 September 2021 - #4427942

******* as the CMS was exporting some of my BANK info out into the void.   DS was not running, NO Daz program was running, other than the DIM/CMS, and that info has no business in Daz3D's possession.  EVER.   ******

What?

PhYl.

RobZhena posted Thu, 23 September 2021 at 3:21 PM

McG: You can convert all your DSON content to native Poser in P11 IF you already own a copy of Netherworks Creators Toybox, which has been disappeared from the market place, and it will work fine in P12, except for poses. To me, not worth it. I agree that eliminating the simple tab in the material room was a horrible idea. I also refuse to install the new Mac version of DS because it requires DAZ Central, which totally hosed my DAZ 3D library the first time I used it. It is now uninstalled. Stick with P11.

NikKelly posted Sun, 26 September 2021 at 7:00 PM

"I agree that eliminating the simple tab in the material room was a horrible idea."

WTF ?? Getting off-topic from Genesis importing, but this revelation left me sick to my stomach.

Yes, I'm still on PP_11, busily saving towards P_12 upgrade at next release version, which I hope has much more tolerant FBX rig import from Blender, Noesis, DS, ($$) 3DOC or whatever. Herding 10 ~~ 50+ free-flying sub-rigs per figure is no fun at all. Beyond getting very, very slow, 'Hierarchy' window has a nasty habit of crashing Poser when you try to parent a figure's multiple sub-rigs to a 'place holder' handle...

FWIW, I import a lot of 'ripped' sets, props etc as OBJ + minimal MTL. Being able to quickly and easily allocate / edit Diffuse, Ambient, Transparency & Bump / Displacement maps is very important...

IMHO, tossing folk straight into the oft-non-intuitive, multi-layered arcana of  'Advanced Properties' is not a good way to encourage them to use Poser beyond month's trial...

Sure, have option to show / hide 'Basic' system, but please have that system...

randym77 posted Mon, 27 September 2021 at 5:53 AM

There's a new tab now that a lot of people find useful. Still...it seems like they could have both. I can't imagine the Simple Tab is a lot of work to maintain.

hborre posted Mon, 27 September 2021 at 9:36 AM

That new tab only works with Material MT5 and MC6, will not work with MATPoses.

McGrandpa posted Mon, 27 September 2021 at 11:30 PM

I hate that new tab, maybe because I don't understand how to use it, or even what it's really for.   I do miss the old Simple tab.  

I need to get working Genesis 1 and Genesis 2 models, clothing, accessories and poses into Poser 12.  Without running DS anywhere at all.  It does not exist.

My 66th Birthday PC Build (July 1, 2020) :  named BadMoonRYZEN!W10Pro x64, Octal Core RYZEN7 3700X 4.05 GHz, 64GB DDR4 RAM, GeForce GTX 1650 Super 4GB GDDR6, PP2014, PP 11, P12, PS-CS4 Extended.

McG.

McGrandpa posted Mon, 27 September 2021 at 11:32 PM

Ah, using Poser Pro 2014 and Poser 11 Pro I can get my Genesis and Genesis 2 stuff into and then saved out as .CR2 Figures.  But they don't work in P12!

McG.

hborre posted Tue, 28 September 2021 at 8:22 AM

That is incorrect.  They do work in P12.  I have Genesis 8 working in P12  with a saved .cr2 version.

Boni posted Tue, 28 September 2021 at 3:28 PM

I have a G-8 in P12 ... but I cannot get G and G2 to work in P12.  Even with Infinity10's work around.

Boni

Y-Phil posted Tue, 28 September 2021 at 3:42 PM

And I have 2 G8 in Poser 12, but they are not really useable: they arrive in "Simple Bones simple skin - interoperable" mode, definitely out of reach for the SubD system. Even my old Aiko3 are looking better, just because DS wants it that way (the CR2 export tools has never functionned for G8+ characters)

PhYl.

hborre posted Tue, 28 September 2021 at 6:06 PM

I can get a unimesh G8 into P12 that can be subdivided and morphed.  Clothing hasn't been too much of a problem but I haven't extensively played around with the figure yet.

hborre posted Tue, 28 September 2021 at 11:14 PM

This render is Genesis 8.1 saved as a .cr2 after being imported through DSON in P11 and loaded into P12.  She came in with tons of morphs that work and I was able to morph and pose her.  The skin shader with SSS was completely rebuilt from DS texture files.  The only things that are missing from her are her eyelashes, those are separate and, at the time, I didn't import them along with her.  I really need to go back and fix that if I intend to use her in the future.  This is just to demonstrate that it is possible to use her and her assets in P12, it's just a pain to initially prep the model for importation.

McGrandpa posted Tue, 05 October 2021 at 10:52 PM

Genesis 8.1 is not Genesis 2.

McG.

Y-Phil posted Wed, 06 October 2021 at 1:16 AM

I've been able to use Willdial's updated Genesis3 importer, that seems to be able to import a G8 in Poser11. The whole process seems to work except that the imported G8 doesn't seem to have any geometry. Something is broken

PhYl.

hborre posted Wed, 06 October 2021 at 9:48 AM

Try resaving a new G8 .cr2 back to the Poser Library.  You should get a popup panel asking to create a new .obj or retain the original.  I opt to create a new .obj file then try opening that .cr2 in P12.

Y-Phil posted Wed, 06 October 2021 at 1:40 PM

hborre posted at 9:48 AM Wed, 6 October 2021 - #4428588

Try resaving a new G8 .cr2 back to the Poser Library.  You should get a popup panel asking to create a new .obj or retain the original.  I opt to create a new .obj file then try opening that .cr2 in P12.

This is Poser11's Window:
As you can see, it loads something... but nothing lol:

PhYl.

hborre posted Wed, 06 October 2021 at 2:52 PM

I haven't encountered this error before.  I am assuming that you followed the manual instructions packaged with Willdial's updater.  I may need to revisit the instructions again to refresh my memory.

Y-Phil posted Wed, 06 October 2021 at 3:56 PM

hborre posted at 2:52 PM Wed, 6 October 2021 - #4428602

I haven't encountered this error before.  I am assuming that you followed the manual instructions packaged with Willdial's updater.  I may need to revisit the instructions again to refresh my memory.

I think I know the process by heart 🤣

PhYl.

hborre posted Wed, 06 October 2021 at 9:17 PM

How is Genesis 8 installed into Poser?  I'm initially bringing the figure in through DSON in P11 and saving out a .CR2 into the Library.  Afterward, I can open that file in P12 without any problem.  I'm not even considering FBX as an alternative.

Y-Phil posted Thu, 07 October 2021 at 1:36 AM

hborre posted at 9:17 PM Wed, 6 October 2021 - #4428628

How is Genesis 8 installed into Poser?  I'm initially bringing the figure in through DSON in P11 and saving out a .CR2 into the Library.  Afterward, I can open that file in P12 without any problem.  I'm not even considering FBX as an alternative.

In my case, G8 is installed in DS, rigging changed and saved as a sub-scene, from which a special .cr2 is created. Then Poser 11 should be able to load that .cr2 that only contains a python script to be interpretated by the dson importer.
And dson reads something, creates something, but without geometry.
FBX is not an option if the result isn't unimesh.

PhYl.