Thu, Mar 28, 4:29 AM CDT

Welcome to the Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd

Poser 11 / Poser Pro 11 OFFICIAL Technical F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Mar 01 1:21 pm)

banner

Welcome to the Poser Forums! Need help with these versions, advice on upgrading? Etc...you've arrived at the right place!

Looking for Poser Tutorials? Find those HERE

Subject: Deleting old renders doesn't delete them

3dcheapskate ( ) posted Tue, 03 August 2021 at 3:18 AM · edited Sun, 24 March 2024 at 6:43 PM

This happens consistently, every time I delete all the renders one by one via the Renders pane.

Here's an example - I have 7 old renders showing...

renders1.jpg

...so I delete them all one by one...

renders2.jpg

...until there are none left.

However, the next time I open Poser there's a different set of renders showing...

renders3.jpg

Anybody else get this ?

Any ideas why it happens ?

Why didn't it show these old renders the first time ?

Any idea how to delete all the old renders ?

The 3Dcheapskate* occasionally posts sensible stuff. Usually by accident.

*also available in ShareCG, DeviantArt, DAZ, and CGBytes flavours.

3dcheapskate ( ) posted Tue, 03 August 2021 at 3:37 AM · edited Tue, 03 August 2021 at 3:38 AM

Deleted those three new old renders and restarted Poser. Guess what...

renders4.jpg

Two more new old renders.

:rolleyes:

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 03 August 2021 at 9:26 AM

It looks like the Recent Renders window is misbehaving. Usually, when you delete a render, the window refreshes and moves the next render up into view. Apparently, this appears to not be happening. Have you tried closing and reopening the window instead of restarting Poser. Also, what are the number of render limits set in your General Preferences? By default, the maximum number is set to 100.

Miss B ( ) posted Tue, 03 August 2021 at 11:15 AM

I don't happen to use the Recent Renders window, but what I do at the end of every day, is delete everything in my RenderCache folders.

For Poser 11, it's at Users > your name > AppDada > Roaming > Poser Pro > 11 > RenderCache

For Poser 12, it's at Users > your name > Documents > Poser > RenderCache

I'm on Windows 10 Pro, so if you're on a Mac, I don't know where they would be located.

OK . . . Where's my chocolate?

Butterfly Dezignz

feecozen ( ) posted Tue, 03 August 2021 at 11:52 AM · edited Tue, 03 August 2021 at 11:53 AM

Thanks, Miss B. On Mac (10.13 High Sierra, Poser Pro 11 anyway), users can specify in Poser's General Preferences where the Render Cache is located, in Temp Files. I created a folder called "P11" and specified that (ignore the ".noindex" suffix in the screen shot; it just keeps macOS's Spotlight from building an index of what's in the folder). screen_shot_1.jpg

Miss B ( ) posted Tue, 03 August 2021 at 5:51 PM

Well I checked that out, and it didn't work. I moved the Poser directory out of Documents and placed it where you suggested for Temp Files, and it just recreated the folder in Documents.

I don't know if that's the Windows version of Poser doing it, or Windows 10 itself doing it.

Butterfly Dezignz

3dcheapskate ( ) posted Wed, 04 August 2021 at 4:02 AM · edited Wed, 04 August 2021 at 4:04 AM

hborre: Closing and reopening the Renders pane sounds like a sensible thing to try. Maybe I should have the Renders pane closed by default like I always used to. My render limit is left at default 100, which it never used to be till the latest reinstall of everything.

Miss B: That sounds like a sensible idea too. I can also check to see whether what's in that folder matches what's displayed in the Renders pane

This never used to happen, and I've only noticed it recently, so maybe setting things back as I used to have them...

Miss B ( ) posted Wed, 04 August 2021 at 9:06 AM

3dcheapskate posted at 9:05AM Wed, 04 August 2021 - #4424496

hborre: Closing and reopening the Renders pane sounds like a sensible thing to try. Maybe I should have the Renders pane closed by default like I always used to. My render limit is left at default 100, which it never used to be till the latest reinstall of everything.

Miss B: That sounds like a sensible idea too. I can also check to see whether what's in that folder matches what's displayed in the Renders pane

This never used to happen, and I've only noticed it recently, so maybe setting things back as I used to have them...

All I can say is, try both ideas and see which works better for you. As far as the Recent Renders panel, I don't think I've ever had it open in any version of Poser I've worked with.

Butterfly Dezignz

3dcheapskate ( ) posted Thu, 05 August 2021 at 5:05 AM · edited Thu, 05 August 2021 at 5:10 AM

Here's what I got when I opened Poser just now and compared the Renders pane with the RenderCache folder

rencercache1.jpg

Closing the pane and reopening it doesn't make any difference.

Closing the pane, closing Poser, and restarting Poser (with the Renders pane closed, then reopening the pane) doesn't make any difference either.

Going to a different room and coming back doesn't make any difference either - I tried going to the kitchen, and then tried going to the material room.

Deleting an image via the renders pane and changing rooms or closing/reopening the pane doesn't bring up the missing renders.

Deleting an image (or two) via the Renders pane, closing the pane, closing Poser, restarting Poser, and opening the Renders pane again has the same effect as before - the undeleted renders from before show up plus a few, but not all, of the missing renders.

rendercache2.jpg

(N.B. I've been having Windows Explorer crashes the past day or two, so this morning before doing the test above I did the Windows sfc + dism thingy which said that all the corruption was fixed)

3dcheapskate ( ) posted Thu, 05 August 2021 at 5:27 AM · edited Thu, 05 August 2021 at 5:28 AM

If I manually delete files from the RenderCache via Explorer and then close/reopen the Renders pane I get confused. Sometimes the pictures in the Renders pane change, sometimes they don't.

But the number of renders in the Renders pane stays fixed (at 3 in my example here) - even if I delete all the renders from the cache manually (well, all except one, because one render is 'open in Poser' and it won't let me delete)

rendercache3.jpg

feecozen ( ) posted Fri, 06 August 2021 at 4:09 PM

Miss B, sorry about that. My tip was just for Mac users, so I suspect the behavior you experienced was down to Windows.

BTW, for any Mac users who try my tip, be aware that since the Render cache directory is in Temp Files, anything there will be lost when you quit Poser. That goes for PoserTextureCache and PoserUndoCache as well.

raven ( ) posted Wed, 11 August 2021 at 8:46 AM · edited Wed, 11 August 2021 at 8:47 AM

I find that if I start Poser and immediately delete renders from the render pane, they stay deleted. If I do anything in Poser and then delete them, they reappear on restart.

There was a post about this issue by SamTherapy back in September 2019 post link here

3dcheapskate ( ) posted Mon, 23 August 2021 at 12:03 PM

Good to know that it's been seen before !

I ended up uninstalling Poser completely and then reinstalled 11.3.818 - the problem seems to have gone away...

NikKelly ( ) posted Tue, 31 August 2021 at 6:19 AM

I've had trouble with such revenants. Really annoying when you've tried and deleted a bunch of quickie 'test renders', only to have them pop up again. And, yes, sometimes push a couple of 'good renders' off end of list into oblivion...

I've found that if you use Poser File, Close, then wait about a minute before Poser File, Exit, the issue mostly goes away.

My suspicion is that 'just closing' preempts 'trash collection'...

Now off to ask where the old facility for reflectivity mapping went...

NikKelly ( ) posted Sat, 04 September 2021 at 9:50 AM

"... the issue mostly goes away."

Except when it does not, and starting Poser after a session where I did a bunch of test-renders found those revenants had crowded some nice 'kept' renders off the list.

Latter are not lost, as I'd originally exported them, but to their models' external library folders, scattered across multiple drives...

Awe3423 ( ) posted Mon, 01 November 2021 at 4:12 AM

My suspicion is that 'just closing' preempts 'trash collection'...

NikKelly ( ) posted Sat, 06 November 2021 at 9:40 AM

I'm not sure what I did, but I've managed to get rid of a dozen-plus super-quickie test renders that would have crowded out good ones.

Perhaps because I was deleting them in twos and threes as I went along, then doing more renders, rather than all at once ??

Also, I think I cleared the undo/re-do cache before closing: Edit, General Preferences, Document...

I hate intermittent, irreproducible bugs with no positive or negative correlations: Often, solution comes down to serendipitously being in right place at right time for, "Aha !!"

NikKelly ( ) posted Sat, 06 November 2021 at 9:46 AM

Me and my mouth...

Just started Poser, had sixteen (16) of those renders pop up, crowding out prior work...

NikKelly ( ) posted Sat, 06 November 2021 at 10:18 AM

Okay, this time I deleted all but last, best two, reduced the render cache size from 16 to 2, okayed the change, then set it back to 16...

( Edit, General Preferences, Render...)

And, however I close/open Poser, those twice-deleted quickie test-renders have stayed gone.

Does this work for you ??

3dcheapskate ( ) posted Mon, 08 November 2021 at 7:49 AM

I've hardly used Poser since reinstalling it on 23rd August and I can confirm that not using the software is definitely the best way I know of to avoid those annoying bugs ! ;o)

I haven't been aware of any problems with deleting renders from the cache on the couple times I have used it since then.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.