Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: What's going on with this skull cap?

randym77 opened this issue on Jul 05, 2021 ยท 27 posts

randym77 posted Mon, 05 July 2021 at 11:08 PM

I was playing with this freebie:

https://www.renderosity.com/freestuff/items/63232/bob-hair

The MAT files don't work, which is not uncommon with freebies. But if you apply the textures manually, it looks okay. Has some nice morphs.

The weird thing is the skullcap that comes with it. If you put that in your scene, you can't change it or move it. Scale doesn't work, translate doesn't work. You can't even delete it.

No big deal; it doesn't really need a skullcap, and I have others I could use instead. I'm just curious...what is going on with this skullcap, that you can't move it or delete it once it's in your scene?

SamTherapy posted Tue, 06 July 2021 at 12:49 AM

Is the skullcap parented to anything, and/or is the object locked?

Coppula eam se non posit acceptera jocularum.

My Store

My Gallery

SamTherapy posted Tue, 06 July 2021 at 1:31 AM

Out of curiosity, I installed the thing on my own system. The libraries folder is named "libaries" for one thing, so maybe that's causing some of the problems. Haven't tried to use it yet but I'll take a look now.

My Store

My Gallery

SamTherapy posted Tue, 06 July 2021 at 1:40 AM

Hmm. Strange. It's parented to D-Former_1_Base but changing that to Universe makes no difference. Can't be moved or scaled. Can't be deleted manually, either. It disappears from the Props menu but is still on screen. The only way to get rid of it is to "New" Poser.

It appears to be, as we experts say, Fucked. :D

My Store

My Gallery

randym77 posted Tue, 06 July 2021 at 5:00 AM

LOL. Yes, that was my conclusion as well. Honestly, if I wanted to do something like that, I wouldn't have the first clue how.

SamTherapy posted Tue, 06 July 2021 at 5:30 AM

Making a prop is easy enough and making a parented prop isn't really any different.

My Store

My Gallery

randym77 posted Tue, 06 July 2021 at 5:40 AM

I meant making a prop that was impossible to move or delete. ?

hborre posted Tue, 06 July 2021 at 8:19 AM

I wonder if this prop was originally created in DS and converted to Poser. There are DS files present for the MatPose and the zip file itself contains a primary folder labeled Content.

SamTherapy posted Tue, 06 July 2021 at 10:46 AM

@randym77 - I see what you mean. :D

@hborre - that's a good point. I wonder if duplicating the thing would make any difference. Either by using the Grouping Tool, or the Duplicate function. I suppose the alternative is to load it into a modelling app and resaving.

My Store

My Gallery

hborre posted Tue, 06 July 2021 at 12:16 PM

I check it with my version of DS and the cap behaves like it's supposed to. I can change the scale and delete it as well. If you open the MatPose files in Notepad++, the absolute paths for the textures are completely screwed. This hairpiece and the textures need some major revisions.

SamTherapy posted Tue, 06 July 2021 at 1:03 PM

hborre posted at 1:02PM Tue, 06 July 2021 - #4422602

I check it with my version of DS and the cap behaves like it's supposed to. I can change the scale and delete it as well. If you open the MatPose files in Notepad++, the absolute paths for the textures are completely screwed. This hairpiece and the textures need some major revisions.

Or, in technical terms, as I said, it's fucked. :D

My Store

My Gallery

Boni posted Tue, 06 July 2021 at 1:24 PM

This is a shot in the dark. But looking at system requirements ... this was made BEFORE DS and there could have been some strange things going on with importing and converting to Poser for some 3rd party programs. It will be interesting to see how this is eventually resolved.

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

primorge posted Tue, 06 July 2021 at 2:54 PM

It is a weird one. Here's some things I discovered while briefly playing around with it. Opening up the pp2 for the cap reveals a lot of blocks of non typical Poser code in there. I'm frankly surprised it doesn't throw a "this is not a Poser file" error. There are limits set to on in everything but the min and max values are essentially no limits. There's a lot of hidden parms. Show hidden reveals them.

Opening up the object Bob cap in a text editor reveals a comment line 'Exported From Daz Studio 3.1' and a typical object file structure. There are no g definitions. It's ungrouped. It does have usemtl definitions though. Opening up the other 2 included cap obj files reveals an empty object file with 2 comment lines, the first saying 'Exported From Daz Studio 3.1' and the second saying 'blMilWom_v4b_QS_18303'.

In scene the cap is 3 props, Bob_cap, D-Former_1_base, and D-Former_1... In a chain of parenting. The Bob_cap and D-Former_1_base are impervious to being deleted, duplicated, toggled visibility, and being grouped by the grouping tool. Exporting The Bob_cap as an obj returns an empty object file. D-Former_1 can be effected by the above but at this point I stopped testing. Strange yes but old DS file exporting and code is the most likely culprit...

2021-07-06.png

randym77 posted Tue, 06 July 2021 at 8:38 PM

Thanks for investigating! I was really curious. Improperly converted from DAZ Studio sounds like a reasonable explanation.

TwiztidKidd posted Tue, 06 July 2021 at 11:52 PM

Export it and import it back... Should work fine.

SamTherapy posted Wed, 07 July 2021 at 1:41 AM

TwiztidKidd posted at 1:41AM Wed, 07 July 2021 - #4422628

Export it and import it back... Should work fine.

Primorge's post above: "Exporting The Bob_cap as an obj returns an empty object file."

My Store

My Gallery

TwiztidKidd posted Wed, 07 July 2021 at 1:24 PM

@SamTherapy Sorry about yesterday's answer, mate... that wasn't me lol or maybe it was...

The hair loads where it should but the cap loads somewhere up above... and if you try to use Scale, it moves up and down. Other than that it's just a normal prop. I am able to delete it too.

Capture1.PNG

Capture2.PNG

TwiztidKidd posted Wed, 07 July 2021 at 1:45 PM

Okay, he's right, it seems to be locked in Poser 10 and it does line up with the hair... I can delete it but nothing else. Works fine in Poser 7

... and IV

primorge posted Wed, 07 July 2021 at 2:13 PM

Yup. It has 3 parts Twiztidkidd. Read through my post again. Not that it matters.

TwiztidKidd posted Wed, 07 July 2021 at 2:21 PM

Bob_Cap.obj is fine if you import it in Poser and save it as a prop... not exactly sure what's going on inside the pp2 file included... that's where something is messed up. Save time and create the skullcap prop out of the geometry file included.

Capture001.PNG

TwiztidKidd posted Wed, 07 July 2021 at 2:36 PM

What I would do is... import Bob_Cap.obj and Bob_Hair.obj... export them both as one prop and that's it! Hair with skullcap which you can make invisible if you want to.... and you can ditch his terrible pp2 files.

primorge posted Wed, 07 July 2021 at 2:58 PM

I didn't get that far lol. The Cap obj itself in the geometries folder is fine, actually nicely modeled, it's the Poser translation that's borked. End of story.

primorge posted Wed, 07 July 2021 at 5:53 PM

I fixed the Bob Cap. Here is a re-written version. It's a smart prop that will load parented to V4's head. I changed all the file paths from absolute to relative, extracted the geometry and have it pointing at the original obj in the geometries folder. It behaves normally now. You can merge the props folder included in the zip with the original creator's prop folder, it will add a pp2 Bob_Cap Fixed. I also fixed the mats and rewrote them as mc6 files that can be found in a new folder titled Bob_Fixed Mats. They are simple diffuse and transmap mats that load the necessary image maps included with the original installation. The alpha's are set at gamma 1. Texture filtering none, normals forward. All files include no original geometries or texture files and reference the original creators files. If you want me to fix the hair part it will have to wait until tomorrow, I have to get a couple of hours in on my own stuff

Bob_Cap Fixed

lib2.png lib1.png

randym77 posted Thu, 08 July 2021 at 7:35 AM

Wow, thanks! That's really nice of you.

It's kind of an odd looking hair in its default form, but it has some morphs that let you make it look like 1960s-style Monkees hair. In case anyone's looking for such a thing.

hborre posted Thu, 08 July 2021 at 9:39 AM

Thanks for the fixup. Another hairpiece for the inventory.

SamTherapy posted Thu, 08 July 2021 at 12:24 PM

Nice work. Many thanks.

You know, it reminds me of something for Haru or Natu by Chocolate. Dunno why; it just has that look about it.

My Store

My Gallery

primorge posted Thu, 08 July 2021 at 1:51 PM

I have Haru on a disc somewhere. Nice toon figure, NSFW also which I appreciate the options being there even though it's not really my thing. Chocolate's stuff can only be found at 'rotica now or at a Japanese content/Hentai site called DLSite. I like his work because he seems to put a lot of care into it. Glad I could help.