Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Poser 11 crashed hard

randym77 opened this issue on Jun 21, 2021 ยท 5 posts

randym77 posted Mon, 21 June 2021 at 5:13 AM

Poser 11 crashed...and when I tried to start it up again, it was in trial mode. I had to put in my serial number again. It started, but all my preferences were nuked.

Weirdly, it seems to have corrupted all the Poser files I'd worked on recently. Not just the one I was in when it crashed, but several others I'd worked on that day. A file from last week was fine. (Does Poser keep files in memory or something, even when you close them?)

The files appear to be the size they should be. But when I try to open them, I get an error message saying, "The file being read is not a valid Poser file." I get the same message if I try to open them in Poser 12.

Is there any way to fix this? I haven't poked around in the .PZ3 yet; I'm not even sure what to look for.

RedPhantom posted Mon, 21 June 2021 at 7:11 AM Online Now! Site Admin

I'm no expert, but it sounds like maybe you might have hard drive issues. I've had poser crash many, many times. It's even overheated my computer and shut it down. I've never seen it corrupt anything beyond the file that was open. I did have a lot of issues with corrupted poser files when my hard drive was going bad. Do you have any autosave files for these scenes? You could check one of those.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

randym77 posted Mon, 21 June 2021 at 2:11 PM

I wondered about that. I scanned my hard drive and ran a malware check, and everything came back good. Maybe it's some weird Windows issue. But I'm not having trouble with any other software (including Poser 12).

I did not have autosave enabled. I guess I will in the future.

!Firefly! posted Mon, 21 June 2021 at 3:04 PM

Back after my little 3 Day ban :) :)

Not a windows issue! It was a known issue at smith micro caused by the activation method ( Call Home ) in poser 11++ that had cycle renewing. crashes that were caused from hierarchal changes either in the hierarchy editor or in the setup room some in the material room, even if a change got pulled with no intentions could cause poser to crash in a heavy way blowing off the Licence in the activation folder, also other personal settings could of gotten affected after such a crash up to a big kill that poser could not be started again.

SM fixed the issue by activating a permanent Licence in poser what actually prevented such heavy crashes in the setups.

assuming that this fix got removed when bondware made a roll back on the activation system of poser setting it to renewing Licence.

you can find the issue in the Poser log file if you want to figure out how much damage your crash caused sending it to bondware. I just do not recall where that Logfile is :( :( :( been quiet a while since i used it last. but bondware might be able telling you where it is located.

randym77 posted Mon, 21 June 2021 at 5:55 PM

Interesting. It does seem Poser-related. My Poser preferences are on the C: drive, but my Poser files are on the D: drive. If it was a bad drive or a Windows problem, I would not expect both to be affected (and not any other program).

The log file shows the Poser can't find the sim files for dynamic cloth items in the files. Ugh, I wonder if this means I've have this problem with any file I saved with dynamic hair or clothing.

I seem to recall having this problem before. Deleting the sim files fixed it, though you'd have to run the sims again. That doesn't seem to work this time. Sigh.