Forum: Carrara

Subject: Voice from beyond.

manleystanley opened this issue on Oct 14, 2020 ยท 11 posts

manleystanley posted Wed, 14 October 2020 at 8:02 PM

Do you remember me? Then you're old.

With DAZ's abandonment of Carrara I sort of lost interest. Have dozens of unfinished pieces I'm just not motivated to finish. Got in to playing games and have been there ever since. Last 3 years have been pretty bad but could have been worse. On an even keel now, getting SSI so have retired. Winter is coming and I have an older i7 4.2 I can get up to 32gig easy enough; actually I have 2 but the other is my gaming rig with the 1060.

I Have a ton of content; read as 120 gig, from V1 to genesis 3. I'd like to try to get back in to this, have very limited funds, and have personal issues with using DAZ Studio. So suggestions for an app to use all my crap, maybe even convert old carrara scenes to?

ProPose001 posted Thu, 15 October 2020 at 1:03 AM

Welcome back!!! Nice to know you're still in the land of the living. What did you miss? Nothing, as far as Carrara is concerned, A few useful plugins have been added by awesome community members. All of your V1 to G3 content is still viable and if you like fiddling around then G8 can also be an option.

manleystanley posted Thu, 15 October 2020 at 6:36 AM

Thing is DAZ left Carrara buggy to the point I get frustrated using it. That and the snails pace render engine. Takes a couple days to render any one of my scenes. Was wanting something up to date but compatible and affordable.

HMorton posted Thu, 15 October 2020 at 12:35 PM

I have a feelin you might not like this suggestion, but everything you said points to Blender as a possible solution. There's a few plugins out there that can import Daz content now, and it will probably be the most inexpensive solution. It has 2 native render engines you can pick from, and both are extremely fast and take advantage of your GPU for extra speed. One is basically a real time engine, and the other is Cycles which has been proven to be extremely good. Poser is actually using a customized version of Cycles for its default render engine now, Superfly.

manleystanley posted Thu, 15 October 2020 at 6:59 PM

Blender, proof aliens walk among us and write graphics apps. May check Poser. had 5 and 6, can upgrade cheep enough.

MistyLaraCarrara posted Sat, 17 October 2020 at 5:17 PM

booo from carrara

♥ My Gallery Albums    ♥   My YT   ♥   Party in the CarrarArtists Forum  ♪♪ 10 years of Carrara forum ♥ My FreeStuff

tsarist posted Tue, 20 October 2020 at 11:09 PM

Hey Stan! I sent you a few messages, but never heard back. Glad to see you're back & on an even keel!

MarkBremmer posted Wed, 25 November 2020 at 11:22 PM

Yo. Render on, man!

manleystanley posted Fri, 27 November 2020 at 12:19 PM

I know it's late but would love some one that knows what they are doing to buy and resurrect Carrara.

Dartanbeck posted Sat, 05 December 2020 at 4:38 AM

Did you see that Fenric and DCG plugins are now free?

Carrara Plugins

I'm still loving Carrara! and-the-darkness-follows_full.jpg

Dartanbeck.com          ===          Dartanbeck on YouTube

diomede posted Sun, 06 December 2020 at 4:19 PM

Welcome back to this thread also! As Dart points out, although Daz hasn't updated Carrara, there are significant improvements from plugins. I mentioned others inthe other thread.