Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Integrated HD Graphics: Are they really that bad?

EClark1894 opened this issue on Jun 26, 2020 ยท 33 posts

EClark1894 posted Fri, 26 June 2020 at 1:11 PM

I was gonna resurrect an old thread, but decided instead that this was a question that deserved int's own topic. I'm still trying to decide what computer to buy, but here's where I'm having a little difficulty. I'm semi-retired now and on a mostly fixed income. At best, any computer I buy will have to be at or below six or seven hundred dollars AT BEST. If I were just interested in Firefly, I probably would have already bought one, but here's the thing. I use Cycles and Superfly in both Blender and Poser. If I can afford one, I'll get a computer with a graphics card. But most of the computers I've seen that I can afford are the ones with integrated graphics or Intel HD Graphics. Honestly, I don't really play games on my computer. Aside from the early days of Spectre and Joust, it's just never really been a thing with me. But I do like Poser and Blender and I want to cut down on my graphics render times. And no, for the umpteenth time, I'm not going to be building my own computer, so let's not go that route. I just wanted something affordable, most like refurbished, good memory, (I'm trying to stay at 8 to 16 Gigs of Ram, and I'm told that solid state is the way to go for hard drives. I have to pay my property taxes, but barring any other unforseen circumstances, I plan to get that computer within the next month.

This probably won't be the computer I get, but as a baseline for what I'm seeing right now, I'd welcome your opinions.

DELL Optiplex 3020 Mini Tower PC - Intel Core i5-4570 3.2GHz, 16GB RAM, 480GB SSD, DVD, Integrated Graphics, 10/100/1000 Ethernet, Win 10 Pro 64-bit, Grade A Refurbished - PC1-4091-REF