Fri, Apr 19, 12:53 AM CDT

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Apr 18 11:22 pm)

Subject: Youth character for LHomme

Semicharm ( ) posted Mon, 11 May 2020 at 12:43 AM · edited Thu, 18 April 2024 at 2:38 AM
Online Now!

First of all, I'm not sure if this is the right place to post this. I didn't see any other active section that seemed relevant. If this needs to be moved or reposted, let me know.

When LHomme came out, I was asked if again if I'd do a youth character. I'd made one for La Femme so I decided to give him a try. The base figure was only able to go so far, but having better luck with the Pro morphs.

HenriTest1a.jpg

Here's a quick render with my own skin shaders. I'm not sure about his relative age. What would you guess?

I rarely create youth characters for Poser guys, mostly do to the lack of adequate morphs and age appropriate textures. LH's Pro morphs was able to go at least this far. Male textures tend be a problem though. Most have more mature details like body hair and aging lines. Something that's much less of an issue with female textures, they're often more youthful and less hair. LOL So far I managed to clean up the head texture, but the body and limbs would take considerable time to depilate.

infinity10 ( ) posted Mon, 11 May 2020 at 1:05 AM

????

Eternal Hobbyist

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 11 May 2020 at 7:06 AM

Ditto.

FVerbaas ( ) posted Mon, 11 May 2020 at 9:39 AM
Forum Coordinator

Looks good!

Question is of course how old you want your 'youth' character to be.

Letterworks ( ) posted Mon, 11 May 2020 at 10:09 AM

Just an odd thought. Have you tried LaFemme's texture (Not the Pro but the basic). They share the UV maps and it may be easier to "man up" the female texture for a young man that to (delete things from the Male textures/.

Boni ( ) posted Mon, 11 May 2020 at 12:43 PM

As to your question, since it is just a head ... I would estimate mid to late teens but without body proportions I couldn't narrow it down. Nice work by the way.

Boni

"Be Hero to Yourself" -- Peter Tork

FVerbaas ( ) posted Mon, 11 May 2020 at 1:55 PM
Forum Coordinator

Boni posted at 8:53PM Mon, 11 May 2020 - #4388821

As to your question, since it is just a head ... I would estimate mid to late teens but without body proportions I couldn't narrow it down. Nice work by the way.

Guess the choice of hairdo will be of great influence on estimates of age. Bald heads are not very common for that age.

Semicharm ( ) posted Mon, 11 May 2020 at 2:57 PM
Online Now!

FVerbaas posted at 2:54PM Mon, 11 May 2020 - #4388787

Looks good!

Question is of course how old you want your 'youth' character to be.

As young as I can with what is included with the figure and Pro morphs. That's as far as I could mange so far.

Semicharm ( ) posted Mon, 11 May 2020 at 3:00 PM
Online Now!

Letterworks posted at 2:58PM Mon, 11 May 2020 - #4388791

Just an odd thought. Have you tried LaFemme's texture (Not the Pro but the basic). They share the UV maps and it may be easier to "man up" the female texture for a young man that to (delete things from the Male textures/.

I tried that first and it didn't look too good. Could give it another go, or some mashup between the two.

Semicharm ( ) posted Mon, 11 May 2020 at 3:04 PM
Online Now!

Boni posted at 3:00PM Mon, 11 May 2020 - #4388821

I didn't include the body because the proportions can be adjusted as needed to whatever age. The face is harder to get right and I didn't want to bias people's opinion.

Semicharm ( ) posted Mon, 11 May 2020 at 3:14 PM
Online Now!

FVerbaas posted at 3:05PM Mon, 11 May 2020 - #4388834

Guess the choice of hairdo will be of great influence on estimates of age. Bald heads are not very common for that age.

True, details such as texture and hair gives a great sense of a character. I didn't spend much time looking for hairs yet, as that usually involves rummaging through gigs of yet unsorted files. LOL Though I have most of the body morphed, the focus is on the head shape at the moment.

Semicharm ( ) posted Mon, 11 May 2020 at 3:30 PM
Online Now!

FVerbaas posted at 3:26PM Mon, 11 May 2020 - #4388834

Here's a LF hair that looks OK on a guy. 3Dream tends to make some decent unisex sets.

HenriTest1b.jpg

Semicharm ( ) posted Mon, 11 May 2020 at 4:26 PM
Online Now!

Another go around. It tends to be an iterative process of tweaking to find the right combo.

HenriTest2a.jpg

Again, just the head for now because it's easier to adjust the body proportions to match the age. Changing the age of the face is much harder to sort out.

RobZhena ( ) posted Mon, 11 May 2020 at 4:59 PM

That looks great!

randym77 ( ) posted Mon, 11 May 2020 at 10:21 PM

It looks really nice. Like a youngish teen, maybe 15?

I think he would looking younger with brows that weren't as heavy.

Eyebrows are the bane of my life with Poser textures. There really aren't many that work for child figures. Either they're overly shaped and plucked (common with female textures), or they're way too thick and heavy (male textures).

FVerbaas ( ) posted Tue, 12 May 2020 at 1:16 AM
Forum Coordinator

Yes, 15-ish was my guess also.

Semicharm ( ) posted Tue, 12 May 2020 at 5:47 AM
Online Now!

randym77 posted at 5:46AM Tue, 12 May 2020 - #4388879

It looks really nice. Like a youngish teen, maybe 15?

I think he would looking younger with brows that weren't as heavy.

Eyebrows are the bane of my life with Poser textures. There really aren't many that work for child figures. Either they're overly shaped and plucked (common with female textures), or they're way too thick and heavy (male textures).

Thanks! I've been meaning to make some other adjustments to the brows anyway.

Semicharm ( ) posted Tue, 12 May 2020 at 7:02 AM
Online Now!

Updated the brows.

HenriTest2b.jpg

randym77 ( ) posted Tue, 12 May 2020 at 12:53 PM

Very good. I think he would look even younger if his brows were sparser, not just narrower.

Semicharm ( ) posted Tue, 12 May 2020 at 2:04 PM
Online Now!

randym77 posted at 1:41PM Tue, 12 May 2020 - #4388900

Very good. I think he would look even younger if his brows were sparser, not just narrower.

How young are you thinking? I tried searching for reference photos of teen or even preteen faces and didn't see many with "sparse" brows. Most of them that did were younger adolescents.

randym77 ( ) posted Tue, 12 May 2020 at 2:23 PM

You said as young as possible, so I was thinking child. Though I'd be interested in any age other than the typical college age characters. Older or younger.

Semicharm ( ) posted Tue, 12 May 2020 at 4:39 PM
Online Now!

randym77 posted at 2:24PM Tue, 12 May 2020 - #4388902

You said as young as possible, so I was thinking child. Though I'd be interested in any age other than the typical college age characters. Older or younger.

I know exactly what you mean. The lack of youth figures/characters is why I took that up as a hobby in the first place. 😁

I'd had problems getting the body to go that far as well. Generally, once you get past a certain age, going younger gets easier. It's just getting there that's the problem. I'll give it another try.

HenriTest2c.jpg

The proportions of LH's head are a bit odd too, rather tall and elongated. Scaling the height down a bit helps.

randym77 ( ) posted Tue, 12 May 2020 at 9:56 PM

Oh, I like him. He definitely looks younger.

Semicharm ( ) posted Wed, 13 May 2020 at 5:00 AM
Online Now!

I thought about posting a render of the rest that I've done so far, but wasn't sure how clothed he'd have to be to not get flagged as inappropriate.

Digitell ( ) posted Wed, 13 May 2020 at 9:43 AM

Great Morph Semicharm!

As long as there are no female nipples showing and the model is appropriately clothed at the bottom, there is no problem. You can repost the image if you wish to 👍

Semicharm ( ) posted Wed, 13 May 2020 at 2:34 PM
Online Now!

Here's what I have so far. The proportions of the head and body may not match up yet, as I've been pushing the age reductions independently to see how far they could go. Still working on the limb textures.

HenriTest2d.jpg

Semicharm ( ) posted Wed, 13 May 2020 at 3:09 PM
Online Now!

Just realized that the last changes I made yesterday didn't get saved to the scene file used in the render above. Had to redo all of the changes from memory. Err... (gray-matter cache error!)

HenriTest2d.jpg

Semicharm ( ) posted Thu, 14 May 2020 at 7:19 AM
Online Now!

Again, Poser didn't prompt to save the scene before closing. At least this time nothing important was lost. The latest version has more than a few random glitches that it never had before. :/

TaishoBee ( ) posted Sat, 23 May 2020 at 8:50 PM

He looks amazing!

Poser Pro 11 (always updated to current version available) . Laptop Specs: Intel Core i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz :: 16 GB Ram :: Windows 10 Pro

estherau ( ) posted Sun, 07 June 2020 at 6:59 AM

try making his head a little wider in the x axis?

MY ONLINE COMIC IS NOW LIVE

I aim to update it about once a month.  Oh, and it's free!

drawn ( ) posted Thu, 25 May 2023 at 6:59 PM

Semicharm, I could use that young man you built in a graphic novel, cause I’m looking for a hero! Can I have or buy him?

drawn

TaishoBee ( ) posted Fri, 26 May 2023 at 1:54 AM

I’m kinda hoping to be able to have him too ^^;

Poser Pro 11 (always updated to current version available) . Laptop Specs: Intel Core i7-7700 CPU @ 3.60GHz 3.60 GHz :: 16 GB Ram :: Windows 10 Pro

Semicharm ( ) posted Fri, 26 May 2023 at 3:12 AM
Online Now!

Sorry for the delays on this. Things have been kinda of chaotic...to say the least. He was originally made by adapting my La Femme girl, Fifi, to LHomme. Unfortunately, that also means he inherited a few of her issues. At the time, LHomme was also transitioning to a standalone figure and some things got lost in the shuffle.

The good news is that I've recently made progress on the issues with La Femme, as you may have noticed from the pics with my freebies. Once I get Félicie's aging morph settled, I'll work on transferring my setup to LHomme. At least that's the plan anyway.

Fifi's morph could do age 9 to 18, where as Félicie is proportioned on Maddie's age. I just need to handle the transition from her age up to 9 and incorporate her changes into the original Fifi morph to complete the age range. Yep, Félicie's new morph will go from around 5 all the way to 18! It's a little complicated... It suffices to say there are good reasons why few have managed anything close to that with Poser figures.

I don't know if I'll get as far with LHomme, age wise, but I had a good start last time.  What I'll learned from Félicie will help considerably. :D There there's still a practical limit on how far I can go though. I couldn't make Félicie much younger without considerable re-rigging to keep the joints from breaking. It's technically possible, but morph controlled joints and all that is beyond me.

As for the timeline, it's...soon. My schedule for Félicie has already slipped and lately I've been banging out freebies in hopes of at least placing in the contest. I'm still stuck on Poser 11 and really need to upgrade for testing and development. The only reason I got as far as 11 was because I won it in a contest.

drawn ( ) posted Fri, 26 May 2023 at 5:22 AM

You’re a great morphist, lady, and I’m in awe. 

Drawn

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.