Forum: Community Center

Subject: A Couple Questions..

RodS opened this issue on Jan 02, 2023 ยท 221 posts

Wolfenshire posted Sun, 08 January 2023 at 9:53 PM Online Now! Site Admin

RodS posted at 3:13 PM Sun, 8 January 2023 - #4453435

There are many here that don't post masterpieces (including me), but it IS legitimate art, and has a place here. Like any community, Rendo runs the gamut. There are 2-D images here that look like they were done by a young child, and there are pieces you have to look at closely to determine if they're a photo or a render. There is - or at least should be - room for all.

This brings up one of my own suggestions for improvement to gallery engagement. When I first retired from the army, I was looking for a hobby - something to occupy an abundance of extra time I'd never had before. I saw Poser at the store and tried it. I found Renderosity shortly after, and posted some cartoons. I didn't get any comments, and so didn't come back for 2 years, not out of a tantrum, but because I thought it was a dead site. I tried again 2 years later when I saw Renderosity was still here, and this time something weird happened, the below image was selected as a Staff Pick. That encouraged me, even though it wasn't a very good cartoon. I then started posting simple stories, and in a short time they expanded. The next thing I knew (with a ton of encouragement from Auntietk), my stories got better and I won the writers AOM. I wouldn't have posted any stories at all without that little nudge of encouragement.

The point of my story is... comments are vital to encourage artists to continue to create and grow as artists, whether as digital artists, photographers, or writers - and Staff has to be involved in actively commenting. But, back to the Staff Picks. I see the most incredible art being selected for Staff Picks, but maybe we concentrate too much on perfect art. I think we need to turn an eye towards commenting, and Staff Picks, to encourage those that might not be at that upper skill level. There needs to be more encouragement towards the beginning artists from the Staff (and members, of course), and not just the stuff from artists that have already achieved technical and creative expertise. I'm not bashing on staff. I'm just suggesting we comment more. (and maybe the members will follow the example.) (I do have to give a shoutout to Donnena. I see her commenting and encouraging artists in the galleries all the time).

Wolfenshire, Moderator/Community Leader