Fri, Mar 29, 3:33 AM CDT

Welcome to the Blender Forum

Forum Moderators: Lobo3433, CHMedia Forum Coordinators: LuxXeon

Blender F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Mar 26 1:16 pm)

Welcome to the Blender Forum!

Your place to learn about Blender, ask questions,
   exchange ideas, and interact with the other Blender users!

Gallery | Freestuff | Tutorials

Visit the Renderosity MarketPlace. Your source for digital art content!

Subject: Tutorial Texture Painting for Beginners

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Thu, 13 October 2022 at 10:58 AM · edited Thu, 21 March 2024 at 11:18 PM
Forum Moderator

Ryan King Art who is a very detailed oriented tutorial creator on YouTube has posted a new tutorial on Texture Painting for Beginners in Blender he covers allot of useful information I am sure many of you would like to learn 

Lobo3433

Blender Maya & 3D Forum Moderator 

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Renderosity Blender 3D Facebook Page

Miss B ( ) posted Thu, 13 October 2022 at 11:58 AM

Ohhhh, I'll have to take a look at that.  Thanks for the link Lobo.

OK . . . Where's my chocolate?

Butterfly Dezignz

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Thu, 13 October 2022 at 12:06 PM
Forum Moderator
Miss B posted at 11:58 AM Thu, 13 October 2022 - #4446552

Ohhhh, I'll have to take a look at that.  Thanks for the link Lobo.

Your welcome Miss B 

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

RedPhantom ( ) posted Thu, 13 October 2022 at 12:17 PM
Forum Moderator
Thanks. I've been thinking about learning that aspect of blender next. now, if I could just figure out how to update to the 36 hour days so I have time to do it all

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

Miss B ( ) posted Thu, 13 October 2022 at 5:43 PM

RedPhantom posted at 12:17 PM Thu, 13 October 2022 - #4446555

Thanks. I've been thinking about learning that aspect of blender next. now, if I could just figure out how to update to the 36 hour days so I have time to do it all
I know exactly what you mean.  NEVER enough hours in the day.

Butterfly Dezignz

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Thu, 13 October 2022 at 9:35 PM
Forum Moderator

So true there seems to be enough hours in the day but at least it is something fun to keep us Busy :smiley:

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Warlock279 ( ) posted Mon, 17 October 2022 at 5:31 PM

I didn't watch the whole thing, but, please don't scale one island on your UV layout just to fill space like that. Yes there are times you can mix and match UV scaling, but that is NOT the time.

Also, the margins/padding he's leaving between the islands are concerningly small. You generally want a couple full pixels between islands, to avoid issues with mipmapping and texture bleed from one island to another. If you know your render engine well, and the exact end use of what you're making, you can sometimes have tighter margins, but the safe bet is a little more padding.

I realize he was just touching on those topics quickly, but I feel like it would have been better had he just pointed anyone interested to his UV'ing tutorial [I haven't watched that, but surely it addresses those concerns?] after the smart unwrap rather than throwing out potentially troublesome ideas.

Core i7 950@3.02GHz | 12GB Corsair Dominator Ram@1600mHz | 2GB Geforce GTX 660

Lightwave | Blender | Marmoset | GIMP | Krita

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Mon, 17 October 2022 at 9:24 PM
Forum Moderator
Warlock279 posted at 5:31 PM Mon, 17 October 2022 - #4446886

I didn't watch the whole thing, but, please don't scale one island on your UV layout just to fill space like that. Yes there are times you can mix and match UV scaling, but that is NOT the time.

Also, the margins/padding he's leaving between the islands are concerningly small. You generally want a couple full pixels between islands, to avoid issues with mipmapping and texture bleed from one island to another. If you know your render engine well, and the exact end use of what you're making, you can sometimes have tighter margins, but the safe bet is a little more padding.

I realize he was just touching on those topics quickly, but I feel like it would have been better had he just pointed anyone interested to his UV'ing tutorial [I haven't watched that, but surely it addresses those concerns?] after the smart unwrap rather than throwing out potentially troublesome ideas.

Thank you for sharing your knowledge Warlock you make some very good points especially with leaving yourself enough padding between islands and proper UVMapping is also a whole subject on it's own and one can take several different learning paths as everyone does it a bit differently. Again thank you for sharing your poitn of view and information you shared :thumbsup:

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Warlock279 ( ) posted Tue, 18 October 2022 at 1:43 AM · edited Tue, 18 October 2022 at 1:46 AM

A couple really quick, really dirty [really ugly] examples of what I mean about mixing scaling and margins/padding issues for anyone interested. I've taken these examples to extremes for demonstration purposes, cause surely no one is going to scale different parts of a contiguous object at a 2:1 ratio on a UV sheet, and if you did want a solid orange object, it'd be silly to use a texture sheet at all, but here are a couple examples none the less.

When you mix scaling you can get incongruities in your textures that make your seams more obvious. For example in the lines you can see where the pixelation jumps from the scaled up half, to the scaled down half. It's less noticeable on larger/softer lines than it is on smaller/sharper lines, but it's really obvious in the texture example. The texture is refined in the top half, but the bottom half turns to a blurry mess, even tho it was painted at the same time using the same brush. Again, larger/less detailed textures won't suffer as badly as smaller textures, but what's the point of using a 4k texture sheet, if you're gonna paint it like a 512²?

So when is it okay to mix scaling? I avoid it as much as possible but sometimes it has its uses. If you have non-contiguous parts of an object, with completely different textures [say wood on one part, and metal on a another] you can probably get away with a little scaling difference [you don't want to get carried away or you can end up with obviously high vs low res textures]. Similarly if you have an object that has one part that is essentially just a solid a color, and another part that is heavily detailed, you can get away with giving considerably more UV space to the detailed part [in fact you can probably get away with scaling that solid color part down to just a few pixels]. Maybe you've got a control a panel that's fairly plain, but has some buttons on it, and those buttons need to have text, you can probably scale them up so you get a better text resolution. Essentially as long as the two islands you're considering scaling to different sizes don't share a common seam/texture/material you can probably get away with a little mixed scaling.

VyewylDg1pChzWnlITB92yAxlNA3v5BMXSVYvD3t.png

When don't leave adequate margins, or your don't have padding around your UV islands, you'll make your seams more obvious and you run the risk of running into issues especially with mipmapping*. With good margins/padding you can make your seams almost invisible**. If you don't leave a decent margin, or pad your islands you'll get just the faintest of lines, which really isn't too bad, even in a solid orange on purple example, its barely noticeable, and if you're not looking for it, you might not even notice, who's really going to have a giant low-res orange sphere on screen anyway, but along comes mipmapping and suddenly you've got an obvious ring the further your object gets from the camera, but you don't have the problem in the padded island example.

Now, we're talking two things here, margins [the space between the UV islands] and padding [the space your color/texture extends beyond the edges of an individual island] but they go hand in hand. You want the padding, but to have room for padding, you need the margins. If you're texturing for an offline rendering engine, you can [probably] get away with a smaller padding/margin typically as anti-aliasing handles a lot of the same issues as mipmapping was developed to address, so the render engine may not rely on mipmapping as heavily. For real-time render engines you need to be a little more mindful generally, and a little more generous with your padding. As I said in my first post, if you know your engine, and what your uses are, you can be more selective about how you handle margins/padding, but for general purposes leaving a few pixels between islands is a good habit to get into.

hMee5wPQ5pKcC1ep6rZLOwbbqGH4vYsl6kXD8nBH.png

Its worth pointing out that we're talking tiny amounts of space, I might leave a 16 pixel margin between islands on a 2048² texture sheet for example, that leaves me enough space for 8 pixels of padding on each island. That might seem like a lot, but once you take into account the odd shape islands you're inevitably dealing with, its usually pretty easy to find that space. We're also talking minuscule gains were you to eschew margins/padding in favor of scaling and start indiscriminately scaling individual islands just to fill a little more space. You might pick up 2-3% more texture space, which isn't worth the trade-off [risk/potential issues] in my book.

Same with indiscriminately scaling islands. You scaled this island up 8% and that island up 3%, and another 5%, but you probably haven't gained much more than 2-3% of actual texture space across all the islands combined. If you did manage to scale up every island individually any appreciable amount, scaling wasn't your issue, you needed to re-packed your UV map, and re-scale it as a whole.

Neither of these are necessarily huge issues, as noted, I used extremes for the examples, but good habits are good habits none the less.

*Mipmapping, I'm sure you've heard of it, but if you're not sure what it is, it's a texture processing function of render engines to avoid texture flickering. Essentially it blurs [technically its scales down] the texture the further the object is from the camera. Most render engines usually have options to adjust mipmapping settings, strength, distance, etc, but those are typically "power user" options, and come with some caveats.

**There are reasons beyond margins/padding/scaling etc that you'll never truly make them invisible, its just the nature of the beast, but that's neither here nor now.

Lobo3433 ( ) posted Tue, 18 October 2022 at 8:45 AM
Forum Moderator

Thank you Warlock279 for all the information it is allot of information to digest but truly appreciate you taking the time to share all this information :clap:

Lobo3433

Renderosity Store

My Free Stuff

Facebook

Twitter

Miss B ( ) posted Tue, 18 October 2022 at 10:27 AM
Warlock279 posted at 1:43 AM Tue, 18 October 2022 - #4446908

*Mipmapping, I'm sure you've heard of it, but if you're not sure what it is, it's a texture processing function of render engines to avoid texture flickering. Essentially it blurs [technically its scales down] the texture the further the object is from the camera. Most render engines usually have options to adjust mipmapping settings, strength, distance, etc, but those are typically "power user" options, and come with some caveats

Thank you!  Thank you!  I was going to post asking what mipmapping was.  I've seen it mentioned before, but had no idea what it referred to.  Now I know!  🙂

Butterfly Dezignz

Warlock279 ( ) posted Wed, 19 October 2022 at 10:20 AM

Lobo3433 posted at 8:45 AM Tue, 18 October 2022 - #4446914

Thank you Warlock279 for all the information it is allot of information to digest but truly appreciate you taking the time to share all this information 👏

Miss B posted at 10:27 AM Tue, 18 October 2022 - #4446917
Warlock279 posted at 1:43 AM Tue, 18 October 2022 - #4446908

*Mipmapping, I'm sure you've heard of it, but if you're not sure what it is, it's a texture processing function of render engines to avoid texture flickering. Essentially it blurs [technically its scales down] the texture the further the object is from the camera. Most render engines usually have options to adjust mipmapping settings, strength, distance, etc, but those are typically "power user" options, and come with some caveats

Thank you!  Thank you!  I was going to post asking what mipmapping was.  I've seen it mentioned before, but had no idea what it referred to.  Now I know!  🙂

You're welcome! Sometimes I'm almost useful ... sometimes! :)

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.