Fri, Apr 19, 8:11 PM CDT

Welcome to the Poser 12 - Feature Requests Forum

Forum Moderators: nerd

(Last Updated: 2023 Sep 06 11:53 am)

Would you like to tell the Poser 12 Development team something you would like to see added to Poser 12? Or a tool that already exist be improved upon? Tell us here!

PLEASE post a NEW thread for every item. Do not post on an on-going thread/conversation or your request will be missed!

Subject: Can someone explain to me again the decision not to use I-ray engine.

bwldrd ( ) posted Wed, 07 September 2022 at 6:57 AM · edited Wed, 17 April 2024 at 2:11 PM

I think it was discussed before, but I'm wondering why the decision not to include I-Ray as a engine option in poser 12.  Is it just to much work to implement? Licensing fee?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Consider me insane if you wish, but is your reality any better?

HartyBart ( ) posted Wed, 07 September 2022 at 1:57 PM · edited Wed, 07 September 2022 at 1:57 PM

One of the convincing arguments I heard was that NVIDIA have a long track-record of dumping a render engine and "moving on", after a few years. They're a card-maker and "hardware drives software", in their world. New rendering engine = "so buy a new card for it!" That argument for avoiding Iray makes sense to me, if thinking "10-12 years ahead" for Poser.

Poser 12's SuperFly is Blender Cycles, and there you're in the world of dedicated enthusiasts and open-source rather than big corporations and a few hired devs. There's also an argument to make to newbies who've "kinda-heard from their friend" that they should use Blender, but (when you dig down) they really only want it for rendering human figures and not for the mind-bending Blender UI. The argument to make is: "Why not just use Poser instead? Much more fun. Same renderer!" Also, you can run it on far less powerful graphics cards. The latest Blender won't even install now, if you have an older card. Sure, Poser is not free - but you can get Poser 11 Pro now for $52. Which would have sounded an amazing deal just 10 years ago.

If a Poser user really has to have a "pop-in and refine" Iray-like rendering experience in Poser, there are render settings that will get that. I think this was from BagginsBill:

q2AoWSgHULuVMBx3V5FBXHOa0v1t3zeJqSI2Fo1a.jpg

Learn the Secrets of Poser 11 and Line-art Filters.

Y-Phil ( ) posted Wed, 07 September 2022 at 3:05 PM · edited Wed, 07 September 2022 at 3:08 PM

Just my two cents...

iRay may create fantastic pictures, but from what I've seen till now: Poser12's Superfly, especially if you can use the OptiX mode, is really faster, and a far more optimized. Even the classic "nvidia geforce mode works" really fast. Poser12 has now an adaptative sampling: the same scene rendered using Poser11 is rendered almost twice as fast using the same default mode, but usng Poser12.

I had seen a video in which a team of experts were able to render 17 G8 using iRay, and a lot of tricks, on a very high-end PC, and using an RTX3090.
Using a scene with 6 G8 is not for every computer.

Mine is 3 years old, equipped with an old RTX2080Ti: 13 vic4, using subdivision level=1, one pass, 20 minutes. Max memory used: less than 4.2Gb of video RAM. All skin-related bitmap at 4k pixels.

WReVsnfNDDJYBmWtxSr61kFbKR5tEJ7HitKiXDPV.png

But what makes for me the real difference is the way the material is under control. Using daz,, you have to play with an long list of predefined controls. I know there are some great ideas such as meta control of every skin-related parts, but for me nothing beats the Material Room.
An for the record (and if I'm not wrong): long time ago, Curious Lab introduced the Material Room in Poser, and only then other big names such as 3D Studio, Cinema4D, Blender, got inspired by this kind of method to edit the material and give you a complete control and freedom...

I know Octane, I've played a lot with it, and I know that it's free with daz (and frankly unstable) but Poser's Material Room remains my preferred.

That being said, I understand that someone could prefer the G8 family, it's just sad that we Poser users can't buy and use them easily.

PhYl.

Win10 on i7 8700K@4.3Ghz, 64Gb, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 2x 2Tb ssd + 6+4Tb hd  + 1x 8Tb hd + 1 10T NAS, Poser 11, Poser 12  and now Poser 13 

RedPhantom ( ) posted Wed, 07 September 2022 at 6:21 PM
Site Admin Online Now!

To add to HartyBart's comment, even if Nvidia supports i-ray for the next 60 years, it's still video card dependent. Cycles can be used with a CPU. Yes, it takes a lot longer but it can be done.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

NikKelly ( ) posted Thu, 08 September 2022 at 11:25 PM

If your render engine can be run CPU-Only, GPU-card free, then you have options within that program...

Scene too complex for your GPU card(s) ? Even after you've decimated vols & buckets ? Switch to CPU-Only, don't need to send scene to a different render engine.

Too slow / don't want it running 'in background' ? Send to same render engine --So few surprises-- but running CPU-only via 'Render Queue' on networked 'Box'.

( Yes, yes, is ~5 AM, but I'd just visited wash-room again, noticed Norton's pop-up was demanding I re-started 'Box' to install updates. "Hey ! No Way !!" Happens 'Box' is ~5 hours into a 'remote render', progress just passing ~91%, Task manager showing swings from 95~~98% CPU resource. Superfly scene was too complex for this PC's now-ageing twin GPU cards, even 'dialled back', and CPU-only would run through to mid-afternoon. So, " 'Box', catch !!" ) 

RedPhantom ( ) posted Fri, 09 September 2022 at 7:58 AM
Site Admin Online Now!

NikKelly posted at 11:25 PM Thu, 8 September 2022 - #4444161

If your render engine can be run CPU-Only, GPU-card free, then you have options within that program...

Scene too complex for your GPU card(s) ? Even after you've decimated vols & buckets ? Switch to CPU-Only, don't need to send scene to a different render engine.

Too slow / don't want it running 'in background' ? Send to same render engine --So few surprises-- but running CPU-only via 'Render Queue' on networked 'Box'.

( Yes, yes, is ~5 AM, but I'd just visited wash-room again, noticed Norton's pop-up was demanding I re-started 'Box' to install updates. "Hey ! No Way !!" Happens 'Box' is ~5 hours into a 'remote render', progress just passing ~91%, Task manager showing swings from 95~~98% CPU resource. Superfly scene was too complex for this PC's now-ageing twin GPU cards, even 'dialled back', and CPU-only would run through to mid-afternoon. So, " 'Box', catch !!" ) 

I've never seen the kind of images you render so I can't say much about your experiences, but back when I had no choice but to render on a CPU, I was using an AMD FX-8120 - FX-Series. Few Poser 12 renders took all night. Most were done in about 2 maybe 3 hours. These were usually around 1000 pixels per side and included 3 to 8 fully clothed figures. It was a drastic drop from Poser 11 that often did take all night, or in a few cases days.

It can still seem like a long time and isn't ideal, my only point is with cycles, you have options.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

ssgbryan ( ) posted Mon, 10 October 2022 at 7:52 PM

Most importantly, optiX will let you use multiple GPUs. 

ThunderStone ( ) posted Tue, 11 October 2022 at 12:34 AM
ssgbryan posted at 7:52 PM Mon, 10 October 2022 - #4446341

Most importantly, optiX will let you use multiple GPUs. 

What is this "OptiX" mode? And isn't there another rendering setting, one can use? The one, offered above, takes too long. I wondered what I am doing wrong.

===========================================================

Poser: Poser 11.3 ...... Units: inches or meters depends on mood
Bryce: Bryce Pro 7.1.074
Image Editing: Corel Paintshop Pro
Renderer: Superfly, Firefly

9/11/2001: Never forget...

Smiles are contagious... Pass it on!

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday

Y-Phil ( ) posted Tue, 11 October 2022 at 12:45 PM · edited Tue, 11 October 2022 at 12:46 PM
ThunderStone

Using Poser 11, you may have one or two way to render a scene, depending on your system and video card:

p7b6YA6yTsHDSehN2LYOWtU8xPQorxnpzMrx4sFv.png

With Poser 12, and if you have an Nvidia RTX card, or Turing GPU, you may benefit of Poser 12's new OptiX mode:

6NXXT72r0s0kynV43KVQW8jpbKw9ymJwuBsWitDf.png

Which computes most of the time almost twice as fast as the default GeForce mode, that plus the optimization mode always at disposal:

lj64yfryGvZA5iuZ8rTDRR96ocNAyxollN70lBwS.png

I had tested a Poser 11 scene: up to nearly four times faster, using Poser 12.
But, there still is some issues, depending on the objects being rendered using OptiX: sometimes, it crashes, and we're all waiting for an update, that will (I hope so!) include something long-awaited: a preview for the Cycles render.

From inside Poser, I've seen only one rendering engine that's faster than OptiX: Octane, but it's another world, with a long list of options to manage, instead of Poser's comfortable Material Room. And Octane is not a lot faster than OptiX, from what I had tested last year.

PhYl.

Win10 on i7 8700K@4.3Ghz, 64Gb, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 2x 2Tb ssd + 6+4Tb hd  + 1x 8Tb hd + 1 10T NAS, Poser 11, Poser 12  and now Poser 13 

Nevertrumper ( ) posted Wed, 12 October 2022 at 7:46 AM

IRay is not free. Cycles is.
Poser's profit is higher, when they can sell free stuff to you.
BTW We already know that from former Poser editions:
Bullet Physics
Cycles
GoZ
Instead of charging you a full update prize to Poser 11 and 12, they could just have come up with a Poser to Blender bridge including a material converter for free.
Instead, the only really new thing in Poser 11 has been a cheap cycles render engine rip off, they've called Superfly.
I will never forgive Poser for becoming scam-wear with the release of Poser 11.

ThunderStone ( ) posted Wed, 12 October 2022 at 6:04 PM

Nevertrumper posted at 7:46 AM Wed, 12 October 2022 - #4446479

IRay is not free. Cycles is.
Poser's profit is higher, when they can sell free stuff to you.
BTW We already know that from former Poser editions:
Bullet Physics
Cycles
GoZ
Instead of charging you a full update prize to Poser 11 and 12, they could just have come up with a Poser to Blender bridge including a material converter for free.
Instead, the only really new thing in Poser 11 has been a cheap cycles render engine rip off, they've called Superfly.
I will never forgive Poser for becoming scam-wear with the release of Poser 11.

My response:

Qj1KiyNkdWDIGBB0SfIv65iA4YaOaLpLnoH6nbD6.gif

===========================================================

Poser: Poser 11.3 ...... Units: inches or meters depends on mood
Bryce: Bryce Pro 7.1.074
Image Editing: Corel Paintshop Pro
Renderer: Superfly, Firefly

9/11/2001: Never forget...

Smiles are contagious... Pass it on!

Today is the tomorrow you worried about yesterday

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.