Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Candle Flame Shader For Firefly... (Use Postwork Answer Is For Cowards!)

3dcheapskate opened this issue on Mar 05, 2020 ยท 100 posts

3dcheapskate posted Tue, 17 May 2022 at 4:57 AM

Bagginsbill posted a similar but different picture showing zones a while back. What you found explains why the tip of the wick is sometimes, but not always, bright orange.

I found two more nice candle flames in videos, but rather just post those screenshots I've combined them with a few previously posted images.

Not surprisingly I think bagginsbill's latest version (bottom right) is the best of the Poser attempts, although I think that the wick needs to be longer and black (not white) - but that's the fault of my candle model. (And the bottom of the wick should be similar to the candle wax)

I was surprised how rounded the tops of the real candle flames are. I think Bagginsbill's first version (bottom left) got the shape spot on.

The real candle flame with the red candle (top right) to me looks very similar to bagginsbill's matmatic shader (bottom right), with only the ellipsoid shape of the flame and length of the wick really being noticeably different. As I said before, that's down to my candle and flame model.

However, two of the other three screenshots of real flames show a distinct gradation of the flame from orange to yellow to white near the bottom of the luminous zone. But I haven't yet managed to work out the maths of the matmatic script to see how that could be added.

P.S. this video is fantastic - and rather odd until you realize that he's actually using Faraday's original words. It sounded like the Rockwell Retro Encabulator to me !

The 3Dcheapskate* occasionally posts sensible stuff. Usually by accident.

*also available in ShareCG, DeviantArt, DAZ, and CGBytes flavours.