Thu, Mar 28, 4:48 AM CDT

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Mar 27 7:17 pm)

Subject: Render times... what you got?

ader ( ) posted Fri, 20 November 2020 at 12:13 PM · edited Sun, 24 March 2024 at 4:41 PM

I'm interested in how people's render times vary.

I'm currently using an old 2014 iMac i7 4GHz quad-core and CPU rendering of course due to AMD Radeon R9 M295X GPU card.

I recently came across Jura11's freebies here on Rendo' so maybe we could compare render times of his bathroom freebie: https://www.renderosity.com/rr/mod/freestuff/bathroom-freebie-wip-superfly/77018

The scene has a default render dimensions of 1920 x 1200 and the render settings with 45 pixel samples in SuperFly. On my iMac it took 8,105 seconds to render...

Who wants to post their render times and make me sad? ;)

randym77 ( ) posted Fri, 20 November 2020 at 8:42 PM

That's a really nice freebie.

12 core processor, 64 Gb of RAM, Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080, Windows 10.

Poser 11, GPU: 1965 seconds Poser 11, CPU: 6613 seconds

Poser 12, GPU: 1858 seconds Poser 12, CPU: 5827 seconds

Rhia474 ( ) posted Fri, 20 November 2020 at 9:59 PM · edited Fri, 20 November 2020 at 9:59 PM

I am on an old, but very well built machine.

6 core i7, 16 GB RAM, gForce GTX 970, Windows 10.

Poser 12 render of this scene with the Superfly settings provided in the resolution given: 2396. 68 seconds.

I had never said the problem with this release was the speed of the renderer.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sat, 21 November 2020 at 10:22 AM
Forum Moderator

PoserP11 44,348 seconds (yes, that's over 12 hours) CPU render with the settings that loaded with the scene.

Win 10, AMD FX-8120, 20 gb ram, NVIDIA GeForce 210

I found, for my machine, much smaller buckets are faster so I'll try that and post the results

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

structure ( ) posted Sat, 21 November 2020 at 8:20 PM
Forum Coordinator

You guys might find this ( time this render ) script helpful

Locked Out

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sun, 22 November 2020 at 6:20 AM
Forum Moderator

Okay, with smaller buckets, there wasn't much difference, except I was using my computer to play games and watch movies so I'm sure that affected it.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

ader ( ) posted Sun, 22 November 2020 at 7:13 AM

Thanks for posting guys, it's really interesting to see the difference in black and white a decent GPU makes. Also that Rhia's 970 beats Randy's 1080!

Thanks, Structure, nice script.

I like the Poser12 speed jump, hope the render still looks since with Poser12 - I can't test Poser12 until the Mac version comes out.

For a laugh I decided to try rendering it with branching turned on, it sure does look nicer but the render time was 85,120 :)

Yeah, these freebies from Jura11 are great and show how good the results from Poser can be. I think that bath needs someone sitting in it though ;)

randym77 ( ) posted Sun, 22 November 2020 at 7:39 AM

ader posted at 7:37AM Sun, 22 November 2020 - #4405483

Thanks for posting guys, it's really interesting to see the difference in black and white a decent GPU makes. Also that Rhia's 970 beats Randy's 1080!

I don't think that's true. I posted four different times, with CPU vs. GPU, and Poser 11 and 12.

For Poser 12, GPU rendering, it was 1858 seconds. Rhia had 2396 seconds.

Rhia474 ( ) posted Sun, 22 November 2020 at 10:56 AM

Yep, I only rendered with the exact settings given with the scene.

ader ( ) posted Thu, 26 November 2020 at 8:09 AM

ah yes, my bad - makes a lot more sense now :)

Rhia474 ( ) posted Thu, 26 November 2020 at 10:46 AM

I know, it totes confuzzled me too, until I reread his post and went oh, goodie, am not crazy.

paul_gormley ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2021 at 12:51 AM

For reference here is the time on a Mac using BigSur iMac i9, 32GB ram, RadeonPro XT5700 16GB PoserPro 12 trial version with settings and view as it comes, 50 mins 2.29 secs while browsing the web It's interesting to see that the HDR image didn't show up through the glass - will have to check on that

jira11 bathroom 01.jpg

hborre ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2021 at 9:09 AM

Is this the very latest version of Poser 12? If it is, there is a serious problem with HDR projection, it will not show up as a background at all. Unfortunately, you may have wasted a render since HDRI is a source of additional illumination into the scene. ATM, your best bet is to use EXR images or convert HDR to EXR until the techs fix the issue.

paul_gormley ( ) posted Wed, 24 February 2021 at 9:54 AM

Thank you for that tip hborre, will give that a try and check the time again. Many thanks.

ghostship2 ( ) posted Fri, 26 February 2021 at 7:28 PM

1265.81 seconds. Poser 12 on RTX2060 Super using Optix.

W10, Ryzen 5 1600x, 16Gb,RTX2060Super+GTX980, PP11, 11.3.740

GuernseyMan ( ) posted Thu, 01 April 2021 at 12:57 PM

1134 seconds. Poser 12 on Quadro RTX 5000 using Optix.

Windows 10, Intel I9-10920x 64GB ram.

ader ( ) posted Fri, 06 May 2022 at 7:33 PM

Just ran this again on my new 16” MBP - M1 Max with 10 cpu cores (so same as M1 Pro) = 3060 seconds or 51 minutes.

Poser 12, Monterey. 

Let’s hope one day we get the Mac/Metal cycles upgrades that Blender has been getting.

odf ( ) posted Fri, 06 May 2022 at 11:20 PM

Wow, that's a fantastic scene, especially considering it is free. Also a good one for studying materials and render settings. Windows and mirrors in SuperFly have so far eluded me. 😁

Anyway, GeForce RTX 3060 Ti, 723.66 seconds without OptiX, 595.64 seconds with.

-- I'm not mad at you, just Westphalian.

NikKelly ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2022 at 7:26 AM

IMHO, it's difficult to compare render times as settings may need adjustment due scene complexity.

As my twin, now-ageing GPU cards max out, I have to drop 'vols & buckets' from nimble 1024 by binary stages to 64, until either scene renders or must switch to CPU-only.

Also, CPU-only render settings may need tweaking to get all available CPU 'threads' working. Asking local or queue CPUs to use too many 'vols & buckets' typically causes a fail-over to use but one 'thread'. After I figured this 'oops', my network-render 'Box' ran jobs ten times faster. In fact, it rendered a dozen times faster, because of the several minutes of file-transfer time for each job...

Tangential, may we have a queue-render sub-forum ? The better to solve such 'gotchas'...

Y-Phil ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2022 at 11:20 AM

Oh... I had this scene since Jura11 published it, but I hadn't seen this thread sooner, so that I made the test: 1072'' or 17'52" on my 2080Ti, and I was watching videos on Youtube during the calculations.

PhYl.

Win10 on i7 8700K@4.3Ghz, 64Gb, Asus TUF Gaming RTX 4070 OC Edition, 2x 2Tb ssd + 6+4Tb hd  + 1x 8Tb hd + 1 10T NAS, Poser 11, Poser 12  and now Poser 13 

VedaDalsette ( ) posted Sat, 07 May 2022 at 11:27 AM · edited Sat, 07 May 2022 at 11:34 AM

After installing the zip, I opened the pz3 and started to render as set. However, I got impatient. After 310/2025 (IIRC) tiles took 908.84 secs, I quit. I extrapolated (assuming the same rates) it would take 5937.8 secs, so I tried another render setting. Same size but using the Ultra GPU preset along with checking reflective and refractive caustics.

c9RtunLfENK2uQMunP4i7oetJzWhm1rHI9Y8gqsR.jpg

This took 3548.63 secs (about an hour). Poser 12 Superfly.

uZWFvjWmNYvDPDgRjxWD956rJ7O0opZ7J1uMJpMT.png

Before this render, I also did a High GPU which rendered at 997.6 secs.

W10,Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8600K CPU @ 3.60GHz, 32.0 GB RAM, 64-bit, video GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 4GB.
Old lady hobbyist.
All visual art or fiction is "playing with dolls."

ader ( ) posted Sun, 08 May 2022 at 6:45 AM

VedaDalsette, I think you'll find that the Adaptive Sampling made most of the difference there. It does the same on my MacBook Pro too, setting it to 0.002 for me reduces the render time by over 30%. Obviously higher values mean more noise and lower quality - but I find it a good tool to use for quick renders before final.

I started this thread as I wanted to see what people thought were acceptable render times so your comment about getting impatient certainly adds the that body of results, thanks. 

Personally I've always left my computers rendering while I sleep so final render times don't tend to bother me too much - but obviously faster preview render times while working are better.

I chose this scene for this thread as it was moderately complex with high default render settings, was free and would provide a good compare across a variety of machine specs. It's been real interesting so thanks to everyone who took the time :) 

VedaDalsette ( ) posted Sun, 08 May 2022 at 11:42 AM

ader, I may not be the best judge. I'm not an artist. Right now, I'm working on a graphic novel with pics of not the best quality (75% jpg) so I can cram the most pics in before hitting amazon's 650MB limit for graphic novels (or is it the Kindle Kids Book Creator limit? Can't recall.) I just like to play with Poser for stories. I may end up finishing all the pics and then writing the story as prose, as I've done many times before. My impatience has to do with the hundreds of pics I like to produce for a story. Although I fully appreciate the artistry in many of the images I see on this site, image quality takes a back seat, in my case, to the story. (But I'm still keeping all my png renders and scene pz3s in case I change my mind!)

Of course, the workings of Poser interest me. That's why I took your test. And thanks for the link to jura11's bathroom scene. It's lovely!

W10,Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-8600K CPU @ 3.60GHz, 32.0 GB RAM, 64-bit, video GeForce GTX 1050 Ti, 4GB.
Old lady hobbyist.

prixat ( ) posted Sun, 08 May 2022 at 2:53 PM

The canyon is not showing up in the mirror. Is that a Ray depth issue?

regards
prixat

VedaDalsette ( ) posted Sun, 08 May 2022 at 7:13 PM · edited Sun, 08 May 2022 at 7:14 PM

prixat, that's interesting. What a good eye you have. (As I said earlier, I'm no artist.)

I didn't change any of the parameters in the pz3 (I just changed the render setting to Ultra GPU for my test). So I poked around and found this:

O1wRyHyzKRThMD7RdOKw1hlqfS4ta0HZUZlgVAJK.jpgSyQUN9EL3nPadaXR9c7zAyDzJyzzule3ICptq6PL.jpg

The EZInner object that came with the pz3 didn't have Visible in Rayt checked! That could make a difference. So I checked Visible in Rayt and Light Emitter and did a fast Low GPU render. No luck.

I changed the EZInner and EZOuter mats to just a PBR root node with the hdr image and rendered again. No hdr reflection.

XapNEA2iyZIgSFS5RtjhiEYX2o8NV1mVhbIUpInp.jpg

I changed the Bathroom_1 object Light_184 mat emission from 10 to 1. Rendered again. No difference, so I set it back to 10. I changed the hdr image. Rendered again.

GcEJLZoU8u5PKjCG8CxDInS0B1JXrvExr6tAaXtM.jpg

I saw a slight shadow of treetops, so next I made the shower glass and window glass transparent. Rendered again.

OS2YgP1DMz1zr8uKdlWNIhpGS7lRiwRBBJ8uHovz.jpg

So the shower glass is missing but the reflection is still Nothingville. I give up!

Old lady hobbyist.

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 08 May 2022 at 7:58 PM

TBH, it appeared that there is already an emission coming from that direction already, regardless of whether there is an hdr or not.  Compare the images with and without hdri, there is no difference in the lighting.

VedaDalsette ( ) posted Sun, 08 May 2022 at 11:01 PM · edited Sun, 08 May 2022 at 11:01 PM

prixat, I found where Ray Depth is noted, on the LightPath node. The blending value on 2 bath glass mats has that node attached to their Is Shadow Ray parameter.

hborre, I tried what you suggested but couldn't find the emission, until I used another camera to poke around outside. Two big fat area lights are slammed right up against the windows (on the wall and on the skylight).

So I turned off those area lights, left the 3rd infinite light on, made sure the EZInner and EZOuter were visible, gave it another try (Low Adaptive GPU for speed)—and we now have the hdr reflected. Whew! Glad that's over.

QDOx9nMb5OK0X13yHMNil50wOYzqsCjcgQPh0bFa.jpg

Old lady hobbyist.

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 08 May 2022 at 11:29 PM

Well, that looks much better.  Glad you were able to figure that out.  Definitely, that shader needs to be corrected in the model before it drives someone else to drink.

prixat ( ) posted Mon, 09 May 2022 at 1:00 AM

Does that mean the HDR was visible through those big fat area lights on the main window? ...but if you look at things through a mirror you can see who the aliens are! LOL

regards
prixat

VedaDalsette ( ) posted Mon, 09 May 2022 at 7:04 AM

prixat, I'm guessing that's some reference to a movie/series/book I'm not acquainted with, but, aliens aside, that light must have been bouncing off the shower glass and doing blinding light crap (as light is wont to do).

hborre, I realize this was a "is the computer plugged in?" moment. When there appears to be too much light, look for the damn light! Ha! As for being driven to drink, my martini days are over, but edibles, on the other hand...

Old lady hobbyist.

prixat ( ) posted Mon, 09 May 2022 at 8:17 AM

Still not clear on what was doing the emission. If it's a piece of geometry can you highlight it or name it? I'm importing into other software and the lights and EZ-domes don't do anything for me, they just get deleted.

It looks like the HDR is making minimal contribution to the lighting!

regards
prixat

VedaDalsette ( ) posted Mon, 09 May 2022 at 8:24 AM

Sorry, prixat, but I'm done with this one. I just wanted to share my render times, as ader requested, and then you got my curiosity going. Besides, I'm not clever enough to know exactly what's causing the white-out in the reflection. Good luck!

Old lady hobbyist.

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 09 May 2022 at 10:30 AM

Very nice render.  I like the retextured walls and floor.  I changed all the lighting to Blackbody illumination to give it a warmer look.  The recessed lights needed a little boost in strength.  The whiting out is due to the raytrace rays from the camera bouncing back instead of traveling through the glass mesh.  The Ray Depth took care of that.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.