Forum: Poser - OFFICIAL

Subject: Help! my hair room prop won't move with parented figure

Believable3D opened this issue on Mar 28, 2022 · 14 posts

Believable3D posted Thu, 31 March 2022 at 4:19 AM

perpetualrevision posted at 4:45 PM Wed, 30 March 2022 - #4436575

That one stumped me too, how to get that "do you want to save it as a smart prop" prompt. And the solution turned out to be to save the item to the library WITHOUT first selecting it from a dropdown menu. I would typically use a dropdown or whatever means to make sure I was saving only the item I wanted to save, but you don't get the prompt that way. So just make sure the intended item is selected in your scene, click to add it to the props library, and you should get that message. (I'm guessing it works the same when saving to the hair library, but hair is just a special kind of prop, so either library should work.)

As for the skull cap that won't move, did you double check that the parameter settings have the min limit as a negative number (and the max limit as a positive number)? That one's tripped me up before.

Also: is the skullcap coming from embedded geometry (geometry coordinates left in the library file) or from a reference to an external OBJ? Sometimes embedded geometry can cause problems, so I use Netherworks' Creator's Toybox to extract external OBJs from embedded geometry in both items I've made and items from others. 

One final thought that's more of a question, I guess: do you need to use a skull cap to use dynamic hair on V4? Is the idea that using a skull cap lets you more easily save just the hair? I used dynamic hair on the HW Horse to make a fuzzy Fjord, and I created the hair groups right on the figure (no "skull cap" needed). I saved the whole horse to the library and it loads into new scenes just fine. 

Thanks for your comments. I'm not selecting from a dropdown. I just have the skullcap selected.

As noted above, I've already checked the parameter settings.

Personally, my guess is that something happened when I created the skullcap. I did it the way the Poser manual has historically said to it for non-distributable hair, i.e. spawning a prop from a group I created on V4's head.

Certainly, you do not *need* to use a skullcap; you can grow the hair directly on the head. But you lose a ton of flexibility that way. You're bound to always loading the same character if you want to use the hair, and you can't transfer it to another figure. It just makes a whole lot more sense to use a skullcap.

I actually used 3Dream's Master Skull Cap recently, but for various reasons I wanted to try it the "old way."

I used to have good luck with PhilC's skullcap, but unfortunately my main 3D hard drive got wiped clean and I lost pretty much everything (including a whole bunch of original work), and he's no longer in business, so I can't just redownload it like I did with stuff from Daz, Rendo, and ShareCG.

Hm. As I write this, I just realized that I redownloaded one of my own hair props from ShareCG. I bet that has PhilC's skullcap — he had it as redistributable.

Hardware: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X/MSI MAG570 Tomahawk X570/Zotac Geforce GTX 1650 Super 4GB/32GB OLOy RAM

Software: Windows 10 Professional/Poser Pro 11/Photoshop/Postworkshop 3