Forum: Poser 12

Subject: A question from someone who is a bit worried

Y-Phil opened this issue on Mar 22, 2022 ยท 13 posts

EVargas posted Tue, 22 March 2022 at 2:36 PM

I don't think Poser users should be worried about Unity, it's focused on a different audience. Game engines are made for interactive experiences, besides that still today average computers are not good enough to handle top quality results at runtime. If you talk about price, that "free" thing is a trap, as with others if you enjoy some success you will be paying anyway. And that can also change with one click if they decide to update the EULA. I have visited some Unity forums in the past, there is a lot of people worried actually, that thing appears to be in eternal demo mode, too many promises, years passing, and a ton of features get left behind.

Unity have a marketplace too, but many products struggle to keep long term compatibility due to the fast/always changing approach on development. Poser devs on the other hand, don't having to constantly be able to deliver for multiple systems (games go to consoles, mobile, pc, etc...) can focus on a more polished app for the users.

Poser has a lot of things ready to use. I think its really powerful for good stills and short animations, marketplace products don't struggle so much to keep compatibility thanks to some good file standards.

I'm currently interested in learning more about the Cycles Surface Node, and found it really amazing. What is seems to me is that there are not yet too many people exploring its full potential, as we all know the Posers user base is small compared to others, so that's expected.

To wrap up, as with anything, there are usually a lot of ways and tools to achieve your vision, but don't be trapped into thinking that the neighbours grass is greener, that is not always the case, every choice will have its ups and downs.

Store | Website

"Art exists so that reality does not destroy us" - Friedrich Nietzsche