Thu, Mar 28, 8:13 AM CDT

Welcome to the Poser - OFFICIAL Forum

Forum Coordinators: RedPhantom

Poser - OFFICIAL F.A.Q (Last Updated: 2024 Mar 27 7:17 pm)

Subject: G2 materials not applying to G2 clothing in Poser Pro 2014

galaxiefilm ( ) posted Sat, 11 December 2021 at 7:42 PM · edited Tue, 26 March 2024 at 7:39 AM

G2 materials not applying to G2 clothing in Poser Pro 2014.

No figures are locked.  Why is this happening and what is the solution?

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sat, 11 December 2021 at 9:48 PM
Forum Moderator

By G2, do you mean Genesis 2 or the G2 poser figures, Sydney, Jessi2, Olivia, and the guys?

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

Today I break my own personal record for the number of days for being alive.
Check out my store here or my free stuff here
I use Poser 13 and win 10

galaxiefilm ( ) posted Sat, 11 December 2021 at 10:09 PM

Oh, sorry.

Yes, I meant G2 Poser figures.  I'm trying to dress Olivia with some of Sydney's clothing.  They load on her as white and conform just fine, but then I cannot add the material files for color and texture.

I do have some DAZ Genesis 2 figures, BTW, but have not used them yet.  And, yeah, I've always wondered who thought it was a good idea to  come up with such similar monikers for two different lines of figures.

hborre ( ) posted Sat, 11 December 2021 at 10:22 PM

The only time I've seen material not applying to conformed clothing is when the actual MATPose texture did not match.  Did you try applying the textures manually in the Material Room?

galaxiefilm ( ) posted Sat, 11 December 2021 at 11:18 PM

Hi, hborre!

I am trying to apply the matching materials for the correct piece of clothing from the Poser Library Materials Menu.

I never had this issue before on my old workstation in Poser Pro 2012, which ran under Win7 Pro.

But I'm now on a new work station that I had built late in 2019 and am running PP2014 under Win 10 Pro.  This is the first large Poser Project I've started since I finished my last one in late 2018 on the old machine with PP2012.

I'm sure that, if I go into the materials room, I can create textures for the items there.  But I'd like to see what was originally created for them.

randym77 ( ) posted Sat, 11 December 2021 at 11:42 PM

I seem to recall the Material files don't work as expected for Sydney's clothes. The clothing loads with the textures. Some clothing loads white. If that's the case, the material poses do not change that.  The previews show colors, but the only color you get is white.

randym77 ( ) posted Sat, 11 December 2021 at 11:51 PM

Poking around...there don't appear to be any textures for some of Sydney's clothing. I looked in both the Poser 11 and Poser 12 runtimes, and the G2 clothing texture folder contains textures for some of the clothing, but not all.

The .mc6 files for the white items don't have any references to JPGs. It looks to me like they are meant to make the clothing white. Sometimes with some noise added. Not sure if this was a mistake, or if they expected us to change the diffuse color manually.

galaxiefilm ( ) posted Sun, 12 December 2021 at 12:57 AM

Thanks so much, randym77.

That's indeed curious, as the items' thumbnails certainly show color and texture.  But why would there be a material for them in the materials library, then?  My feeble old brain isn't grasping that, LOL!   I'll look at the files with P3DO and see if any texture images actually come up for them.

Come to think of it, this may be the first time I've used a Poser G2 figure in a project.  I bought Olivia because she's ideal for one of the characters in the story I wrote.  For most things, I still usually use weightmap-corrected M4's and V4's with character morphs.

I guess I can just plug in other materials I have in the material room. 

(I really need a working PzDB, as I have so much content across so many libraries now that I don't know where everything is nor do I remember everything I actually have.)

randym77 ( ) posted Sun, 12 December 2021 at 6:16 AM

It's quite odd. I know they kind of rushed with the figures, so maybe they meant to create real textures, and never did. The thumbnails show colors, but the material files don't create that color.

The materials do work. If you change the color, then apply the material, it turns them back to white.

I think the only reason you'd use the material files for Sydney's clothes is if you changed the texture, and wanted to restore the original. Because the clothing, textured or not, loads with whatever textures it has.

And it's something not many people have noticed, because, like you, most of us use V4 instead.  :-D

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sun, 12 December 2021 at 9:22 AM
Forum Moderator

I use Sydney a lot and don't have any problems with her clothing textures applying. But I have found not all of them are organized well. Even with my attempts to get organization, I find some things are not in the right place. Most of her textures seem to be mt5 or mc6, but I can't speak for things the community created. If you have an item that you can't find the texture for, you could post it here. We can see if we can find what the textures are called to help find them.

Available on Amazon for the Kindle E-Reader Monster of the North and The Shimmering Mage

randym77 ( ) posted Sun, 12 December 2021 at 9:27 AM

I could not find textures for Sydney's T-shirt and tank. The thumbnails look purple and green respectively, but I don't see any textures in the texture folder. They load white. They remain white if you apply the material files. If you change the color, then apply the material files, they turn white again.

Was there some kind of update? I seem to recall there were content updates issued somewhere along the line.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sun, 12 December 2021 at 1:41 PM
Forum Moderator

I see what you mean with those. Looking at the mc6 of the t-shirt, it sets the diffuse color to "value 0.937255 0.937255 0.937255" I don't know exactly that what translates into, but with all 3 numbers being the same, it's some kind of gray.  I wonder if something happened in one of the updates. I had used that shirt before, but I used one of Ghostship's cloth shaders with it, which makes me think it was acting up then and the scene I was working with was rendered in Poser 11. I'm going to see if I have an old copy and compare it to the latest version to see if it's changed

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 12 December 2021 at 3:23 PM

I took a check on the textures on an older Poser install and indeed there are none available.  It looks like all the old content was repackaged into the latest version as is.  The only options are to either scour the internet for free textures specifically made for the legacy clothing, create your own, or use procedural shaders to color and detail the clothing.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sun, 12 December 2021 at 4:24 PM
Forum Moderator

I just was returning to report I'd found my original backup of the mat file and it doesn't use any image maps or change the color at all.

for firefly, I recommend googling bagginsbill for some procedural shaders for fabric.

galaxiefilm ( ) posted Sun, 12 December 2021 at 5:39 PM

Thank you so much for the all input, everyone!

I still have my Poser Pro 2012 Library on my new data drive -- moved over from my older workstation.  So, later today, I'll see if I can load the materials from that location. 

If not, I'm sure there are fabric textures tucked away in my Mapps Materials folder that I can make work.

Nonetheless, it's quite frustrating when things like this get broken. 

randym77 ( ) posted Sun, 12 December 2021 at 5:53 PM

I don't think there were ever textures for those items. I just loaded my old Poser 9 runtime, and it's the same: no textures for the t-shirt or tank top.

Funny that it hasn't really been noticed until now, 15 years later.

galaxiefilm ( ) posted Sun, 12 December 2021 at 6:32 PM

I gather so, randym77.

It would take a goofball like me, years later, to stumble across it.

And, yes, her tank top was one of the items I was attempting to use.

Guess this just goes to show how popular certain Poser G2 figures were, or not.

I'm just sitting back down to it now -- so if I discover anything, I'll let you all know.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sun, 12 December 2021 at 7:29 PM
Forum Moderator

No, the G2s were not very popular. I've used Sydney and Simon quite a bit, but most of what they wear was converted from other figures

galaxiefilm ( ) posted Sun, 12 December 2021 at 7:58 PM

Yep, I was dressing Olivia with Sydney's Tank, Pants (not casual pants), and Tennis Shoes and they are all white as snow -- even after clicking on their mats (from any new or old Poser library).

Mind you, I do kind of like white on her -- but, if I use it, I'd grey it down a bit first.

I've honestly never been motivated to use any of the other G2 figures before, but I really like Olivia.  She's not only cute as a button but, compared to the other G2 figures, she looks and renders very realistic.

RedPhantom, what did you use to convert the other clothing with?  I have a ton of Victoria clothing.

Thanks!

galaxiefilm ( ) posted Sun, 12 December 2021 at 8:44 PM

Oh, wait!  The tennis shoes *did* load with their materials -- but they were so light that I had to grey down the diffuse color to see it.

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 12 December 2021 at 9:57 PM

Olivia is my favorite also.  I can get more mileage out of her than the other models.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Sun, 12 December 2021 at 10:04 PM
Forum Moderator

I either used Wardrobe Wizard, or I used the fitting room.

Unfortunately, I never got Olivia or her male counterpart. I don't remember why because I wanted them at the time.

hborre ( ) posted Sun, 12 December 2021 at 10:15 PM · edited Sun, 12 December 2021 at 10:15 PM

Here you go, new texture threads for the tank top and pants.  Downloaded from nemesis74s free stuff.

P1TYVdEQP8earVEbPxczjz36fPdK3FvFcdzgJP2S.png

galaxiefilm ( ) posted Mon, 13 December 2021 at 12:14 AM · edited Mon, 13 December 2021 at 12:24 AM

hborre, thanks for introducing me to nemesis74s' free textures.  Very nice.  I saved-down about seven of them.

Red Phantom, I'll look at both Wardrobe Wizard and the fitting room.  Wasn't Wizard created by Phil C, or is my memory jumbled?  You may have originally held-off on buying Olivia as she was a bit pricey when first appearing at Content Paradise.  Had my eye on her for a while and finally scooped her up last month during Rendo's Thanksgiving weekend 50%-off sale.  I suspect the sale may be repeated between Dec 25th and the 31st -- so you might add her to your wish list if you want.

A big thank you to everyone!  Now I know I wasn't going crazy -- at least, not over this.

RedPhantom ( ) posted Mon, 13 December 2021 at 7:59 AM
Forum Moderator

She is currently on sale for half off until the end of the month, so I may pick her up.

Yes, Wardrobe Wizard is from Phil C. I'm not sure it's still available. I can't remember which versions of Poser it came with, but you would need the Vicky support addon.

randym77 ( ) posted Mon, 13 December 2021 at 8:08 AM

I don't think Wardrobe Wizard is available any more.  PhilC has retired, and last time I checked, his web site was no longer online.

There's Evil Innocence's Crossdresser. 

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 13 December 2021 at 9:07 AM

Definitely, WW is no longer available and, as mentioned, PhilC is retired and, IIRC is no longer supporting the software.  The last Poser version that I have with WW is PP2014, it was discontinued P11.  Crossdresser is your best bet along with the Poser fitting room.

randym77 ( ) posted Mon, 13 December 2021 at 9:44 AM

I think Wardrobe Wizard was included with the original version of Poser 11. If you updated to the Bondware version without saving your scripts, the new version of Poser 11 nuked it. (I was able to retrieve it from my old computer's Poser 11 installation.) The Poser 11 manual still contains information about WW, apparently because they didn't bother to rewrite that part when they removed it.

If you have it, it should still run in Poser 2014 and Poser 11, but it won't do you much good if you can't get the various figure modules that Phil used to sell on his web site. IIRC, the Poser figures were included free, but you had to pay for V4.  And there was never a module for La Femme and other new figures.

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 13 December 2021 at 10:49 AM

I do believe you're right, I still find remnants of WW in my Smith Micro P11 folder.  Most of the legacy figure modules were updated with the exception of the currently available figures.  Anything from DAZ had a separate purchasable license.

galaxiefilm ( ) posted Mon, 13 December 2021 at 3:10 PM · edited Mon, 13 December 2021 at 3:10 PM

While I have Poser 11, I'm using PP2014 for this project and Wardrobe Wizard is still there.  Rather than deal with converting V4 clothing, to make life easier, I'll just grab whatever I may need from Jessi's Clothing extensive props and convert them.

However, late last night, I stumbled upon another set of G2 female clothing we may not have known about that was buried in the props library under g2/morningcasual.  They load just fine as white but have corresponding mats in the materials library that actually *do* load when you click on them.  Not that this is my final choice below, but I do find them to be rather nice.

p6MNKjifHGChjC3Bc7TscREYHUxWxyS05cqwNVXD.jpg6HknPOlSDBGVjDg1FQ4TDrqXd1wV4PyDOWbxVp8r.jpg

randym77 ( ) posted Mon, 13 December 2021 at 3:52 PM

She looks good!

IIRC, those clothes don't come with Poser. They come with Olivia. If you bought her, either here or at Content Paradise.

galaxiefilm ( ) posted Mon, 13 December 2021 at 3:58 PM · edited Mon, 13 December 2021 at 4:00 PM

Well then, that explains why I have 'em.  I gotta remember to review the readme's (insert "bongo slap" on my forehead here).

Yes, Olivia is the sleeper hit of Poser's G2 characters and worth the price right now.

randym77 ( ) posted Mon, 13 December 2021 at 4:33 PM

I got most of the G2 characters free from Content Paradise. They gave away a lot of the models that are in the store now.  At least to "Passport Club" members (their version of the Platinum Club). They each came with their own clothing packs.

I think Miki was the most popular of the G2 figures. She got a lot of third party support.

I really liked the idea of the G2 figures. The same bodies, so they could share clothing, but different heads, which resulted in much better expressions for ethnic characters. I remember Mike and Vicky at the time...if you applied the DAZ ethnic morphs, their teeth would show through their faces if you tried to give them expressions.

hborre ( ) posted Mon, 13 December 2021 at 5:24 PM

These are old Firefly renders begging to be updated to Superfly.  Costume by Rokket for Sydney G2.  Fits very nicely on Olivia.

w76xw6W3uJK2BugNRvGBMEr1h5kJFrGPPM22X6Jy.jpg

vxb8uilstxibWgG7C3Z1IRZ6bsndrDMuJUqE4mUv.jpg

galaxiefilm ( ) posted Mon, 13 December 2021 at 11:09 PM

Hborre, those are awesome.  Oli makes a great Wonder Woman.

Randym77, I wasn't a Passport Club member, but I snagged quite a few sale items on my wish list just before Content Paradise shut down.  Agreed that the G2 figures were a good, versatile idea.  It's just too bad they weren't taken any further.  Olivia proves they can look great when textured well.

hborre ( ) posted Tue, 14 December 2021 at 9:34 AM · edited Tue, 14 December 2021 at 9:34 AM

I'm going to highly recommend Crossdresser as the software of choice for converting clothing from V4 to G2 females, you just need to purchase the G2 Jessi license that amounts to about $10 USD.  The software is free.  You can use the software to tweak poke-throughs and morphs and then use Poser's Fitting Room to refine the results.  Here is a quick render of an Aeon Soul outfit that I converted to fit Olivia in P12.

JjXw1pJKL4u08n5mPJ8qj4DugHrbpbG8HnpHmYh8.png

galaxiefilm ( ) posted Tue, 14 December 2021 at 12:42 PM

EvilInnocence's website is very nice too.

Thanks, hborre.

Privacy Notice

This site uses cookies to deliver the best experience. Our own cookies make user accounts and other features possible. Third-party cookies are used to display relevant ads and to analyze how Renderosity is used. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understood our Terms of Service, including our Cookie Policy and our Privacy Policy.